McFadden on crutches, McClain in protective boot

Every team says the bye week comes at a good time, regardless when it might come during a season. In the Raiders’ case, this time it’s wise to take them at their word.

Several media spotted running back Darren McFadden on crutches, with a protective boot on his right foot. Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was spotted with his left foot in a protective boot. Tight end Kevin Boss is one day removed from a concussion. And that doesn’t take into account the numerous players nicked and dinged from the first seven games this season, including kicker Sebastain Janikowski.

McFadden made it through only two carries against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday before he retreated to the locker room for treatment. Coach Hue Jackson held out McFadden the rest of the game.

McClain was in and out of the game, with Darryl Blackstock filling in whenever needed. Boss left the game for good after he was hit hard at the end of a catch-and-run play.

Fortunately for the Raiders, they don’t play another game for two weeks, Nov. 6 against the Denver Broncos. That gives them enough time to get back most of their players.

It also gives new quarterback Carson Palmer ample time to get in synch with his receivers, learn more than 10 percent of the playbook — that’s the figure he said he knew going into the Chiefs game — and get into better shape after being away from the NFL the past nine-plus months.

To that end, several of Oakland’s wide receivers said they intend to stick around during the team’s four off days this week (Thursday-Sunday) so that they can get in added work with Palmer.

“It’s going to be very important,” wide receiver Jacoby Ford said. “This is something that I definitely think we need. We’re going to have to work hard and get good with him, just to get the timing down and be here with him. That’s on my mind right now.”

Wide receiver Derek Hagan has worked out with Palmer in Southern California in recent offseasons. He said Palmer’s arm strength is fine. The issue is forgetting about what it’s like catching passes from Kyle Boller and Jason Campbell and learning what it’s like working with Palmer.

“We know we need to be here, and we’re going to be here,” Hagan said. “For us to get on the same page and get this thing clicking again, it’s obviously going to take more of an effort from us to put more time in just to make sure we’re doing those little things right.”

It’s not just the receivers who are hell-bent upon putting in the work. Rookie running back Taiwan Jones said he and his backfield mates are all-in, as well.

“It was pretty much clear once we lost, we all know that we have a lot of work to do,” Jones said. “We’re all committed to staying and getting Palmer in the rhythm he needs to be in.”

SCHILENS SAYS HE’S FINE

Wide receiver Chaz Schilens was among the seven players deactivated for the Chiefs game. When asked if he is hurt, Schilens said he is “fine” and getting ready to get on the field and get in some running.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• morilla

A special skill set?to go in motion to under center to try a 2 ft QB sneak? Mad skills, Hahahaha.

I don’t want to see Pryor on the field for the rest of the year.

• kvnbntly

@inonewordraider

simple sabbotase so he could play with his new toy, remember the crappy playcalling when we first got campbell?

• VanHeathen

Murphy has become a freakin disaster on the field…
    more mental errors than receptions.

the play sideline play where the thought he was interfered with, and throws his hands up insted of playing the ball is unexcusable, if he lays out at all he prolly catches it…what a disappointment.
    HueJack needs to sit his azz…send this team a message to keep playing until the whistle regardless…

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

142 is the right assessment. Palmer had zip. Many receivers played like cr*p. Murphy folded like a deck of cards. He looked like Willie Gault going across the middle. Gault told Jay Schroeder “Don’t call that crossing route again.”

• Method To My Madness

Lefty…what da hell does reece bring as a FB?….you do know first function of a FB right?

• raideredoutL.A.

damn I left my piece in a hotel room in hayward last saturday, been rolling b’s since, waste of bomb green.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Lefty doesnt even know what a bowel function is dont ask him to break down the FB position.

• lefty12

B,didn’t think he started in Houston so I stand corrected-3 TDs in 3 games,numerous missed 3rd or 4th and short opportunities.He is a good situational blocker but not starting caliber.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Calling all r Seymour bootlickers to white courtesy phone.

ALL BOOTLICKERS REPORT IMMEDIATELY!

• raideredoutL.A.

too lazy to roll right now.

• kvnbntly

reece also gets out of the rb’s way, they all looked like an electric football game at times,I believe reece gives us the best weapon of the two, tonga isn’t going to do much out of the backfeild.

• saladfingerz

btw the “savage” an satele not so good.
    could definitely use an upgrade in fa or draft. get schteppin.

161.kvnbntly Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

**********************

More BS….this season with reece at fb…he has gotten punked out there…dmac’s best runs came last year and earlier this year in oneback set

• jameyt777

Yuck. That was a terrible game. The D was the only decent thing, although what about the blitzing? Our real core of players were on the bench. Boller sucks, but is much worse without DMF. Turnovers and penalties
    will kill this team. Oh and running Bush up the middle over and over again is a vanilla offense. I’m pissed at coach and he should be mad at himself, this game was our’s to take.

P.S. Huejack, spread the field when in the redzone, and stop the goofy plays until you can complete the basics ones…..

• morilla

Agree, Reece needs to get back ASAP. Tonga isn’t cutting it.

158.lefty12 Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

*************************

Numerous? sounds about false right. No reece aint starting caliber cuz he cant block….tonga is a starting FB….he opens holes and if hue’s dumbass sticks to run more team has more usccess….you want a bully without bullies on the field? Not smart

165.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:32 pm
    Agree, Reece needs to get back ASAP. Tonga isn’t cutting it.

************************

You know nothing at all then…..figures

• lefty12

B,not all teams use the FB the same way.Not all teams use the FB as just a lead blocker.Hewitt Dixon didn’t block.Van Eegan didn’t block.Marv Hubbard’s primary function wasn’t to block.In the Raider system the FB is an offensive weapon,not just a blocker.Brown,you are the result of a bowel function-shut up.

• kvnbntly

and reeces best plays come from motioning out of the backdeild leaving a single back.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

I like the fake to pryor. But they should snap the ball while he’s in motion coming across the line. It would have worked. There backers were commited to the inside. He takes it outside an to the house possibly. IMO

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Hu jack is my guy, but no one is right every time. I believe that over the long haul he will be right when it counts more often then not. From where im sitting it absolutely appeared that the loss of key players from our kicker to our starting qb has the team a bit disoriented. They need to close ranks and regroup. I would let off the gas and really dumb it down.

having a healthy romac, and sebass could really change the way hu calls the game. lets hope this was a bump in the road caused by the highly unusual circumstances at qb, and injuries.

• Seymour Bush

============================================

Sounds like a team that got it’s physically kicked.

McGahee out 1-2 weeks after hand surgery. 10th in rushing with 456 yrds, other 2 backs have 56 each. Back-ups will probably go for 150 on us if we don’t get things fixed up front

• Method To My Madness

all of you guys against Tonga….enjoy losing and enjoy soft players…u want side dishes not meat and potatoes…you guys are apart of the problem as to why we been losing

• raiderinparadise

Okay … Hue said perfromance will get you on the field. Production. Well then Murphy shouldn’t get snaps at all. Point blank. Denarius Moore is ????????? Where ?????? Hopefully Palmer gets it going these 2 weeks in practice. Or else he can retire lol

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

lefty12 Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 1:54 pm
    Bleeder-Dmac or Reece are better short yardage backs than Bush.Bush has had a minimum of 4 short yardage attempts the last couple of weeks and hasn’t converted 1.He’s great once he gets past the 1st wave,for a man his size he can’t move the pile.

——————–

I would rather have DMac too for any type of run situation, but thats because he’s the best back in the league. Bush should definitely still be considered an option though; and favored over Reece. I mean, come on, we got people on here thinking Bush shouldn’t even be on the field and that Taiwan is supposedly gonna be a stud at blitz pick-up in his place! The thing with Bush is, the D knows he starts slower, so he needs to be used more in misdirection plays. I’ve yet to see Bush and McFadden out there together as many times as I would like.

• LA to TheBay

Bullies got bullied yesterday.

• inonewordraider

kvnbntly Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:24 pm
    third why the hell do you need a trick play for a qb sneak

________________
    it’s an important play in the game and it’s terrell pryor. U see Tebow do it? Well guess what, Pryors should be better at it

168.lefty12 Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

**********************

that’s bs….pure bs….a FB is mainly a blocker….if your FB is playmaker you in trouble….notice raiders vs tougher D fronts? yeah reece was playing vs pitt and mia last year…let me know all i needed to know

Sounds like a team that got it’s physically kicked.

===============================================
    Did you watch the game, McFadden’s injury took place on 2nd rushing attempt. lmfao

• raiderinparadise

saladfingerz Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Palmer looks to be exactly what Bengals fans told me: Weakened Arm since injury, throws pick 6 everygame and seems uninterested. I saw all 3 Sunday. In 2 weeks he better be turnover free and making throws all over. Else our season is over.

your azzezzment is wrong.
    ball was coming in hard and fast. dmoore deflected one up in the air, murph quit on another…the one to ford/ flowers was a gift. plenty of mustard on cp3’s ball. did you see the throw to hagan? our rec’s don’t know what to do with that kind of special sauce…so they pulled up short on their routes and alligatored back to the locker room.

__________________________

8 of 21 , 3 picks. 116 yards. Okay my assesment is wrong? He looked amazing. Wow he is the best ever.

• Method To My Madness

mike bush averages almost 6 a carry…yep tonga sure sucks lol….you guys have no logic at all

• morilla

Go look at Reeces highlight reel and get back to me. Tonga brings nothing else to the table.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Tonga once he gets enough playin ti
    e can be like a Jon Ritchie great blocker who can also catch passes

By the way, for those that like mystery meat sandwiches, the McRib is back until 11-14.

• kvnbntly

nobody id agianst using tonga, just reece allows for more options, he’s a playmaker the defense has to account for.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

I said this in camp. The raiders need tonga to play split time with Reece
    period

183.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

********************

Morilla= mental midget

• Method To My Madness

highlights for a FB? fkin highlights? you fkin moron leave this blog you dont know football at all

• J Hill

Tonga looked good on that FB dive.

Not bad as a receiver too.

Have to find a way to use both of them.

• inonewordraider

CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran
    #Raiders coach Jackson says of Terrell Owens: “I’m not actively chasing Terrell Owens, no.” Not sure if Raiders will attend T.O. workout.

• raideredoutL.A.

yesterday was so bad i busted a chick hearn and put it in the refrigerator at half. still watched it, but the dogpile turned onto me for saying that sh*t.

186.kvnbntly Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

**************

we a running team or passing team?

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

WHo has Seymours back in here today ? I know you morons are out there! C’mon…

Who was it that said Seymour would get 3+ sacks on Cassell. I told you I would make a public apology if that happened..

Here I am, where are you?
    ============================================

STFU!! You said DHB should be gone, he is fast becoming an excellent receiver. You said Janikowsky should be gone, he is one of the best kickers of all time. Richard Seymour is not having a pro bowl season, he is having an ALL PRO season. But you don’t know anything about anything. And BTW, shagging cans out of the garbage in the Coliseum parking lots in not going to games.

• morilla

You’re just a Tonga homer, it’s cool.

195.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:41 pm
    You’re just a Tonga homer, it’s cool.

****************

You are just a madden gamer who doesnt know jack schit about real football

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue danced around question of WRs not fighting for ball, but did say six interceptions were the fault of “more than one person”

• raiderinparadise

Tonga deserves a roster spot even when Reece is back. They can feature both. But that means someone else goes. Giordano? Meyers?

I’m a real FB homer….excuse me for wanting a FB who can actually block LBs

• morilla

Sure thing kid. Cause when Reece is healthy is will be the starter.