McFadden on crutches, McClain in protective boot

By Steve Corkran
Monday, October 24th, 2011 at 1:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Every team says the bye week comes at a good time, regardless when it might come during a season. In the Raiders’ case, this time it’s wise to take them at their word.

Several media spotted running back Darren McFadden on crutches, with a protective boot on his right foot. Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was spotted with his left foot in a protective boot. Tight end Kevin Boss is one day removed from a concussion. And that doesn’t take into account the numerous players nicked and dinged from the first seven games this season, including kicker Sebastain Janikowski.

McFadden made it through only two carries against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday before he retreated to the locker room for treatment. Coach Hue Jackson held out McFadden the rest of the game.

McClain was in and out of the game, with Darryl Blackstock filling in whenever needed. Boss left the game for good after he was hit hard at the end of a catch-and-run play.

Fortunately for the Raiders, they don’t play another game for two weeks, Nov. 6 against the Denver Broncos. That gives them enough time to get back most of their players.

It also gives new quarterback Carson Palmer ample time to get in synch with his receivers, learn more than 10 percent of the playbook — that’s the figure he said he knew going into the Chiefs game — and get into better shape after being away from the NFL the past nine-plus months.

To that end, several of Oakland’s wide receivers said they intend to stick around during the team’s four off days this week (Thursday-Sunday) so that they can get in added work with Palmer.

“It’s going to be very important,” wide receiver Jacoby Ford said. “This is something that I definitely think we need. We’re going to have to work hard and get good with him, just to get the timing down and be here with him. That’s on my mind right now.”

Wide receiver Derek Hagan has worked out with Palmer in Southern California in recent offseasons. He said Palmer’s arm strength is fine. The issue is forgetting about what it’s like catching passes from Kyle Boller and Jason Campbell and learning what it’s like working with Palmer.

“We know we need to be here, and we’re going to be here,” Hagan said. “For us to get on the same page and get this thing clicking again, it’s obviously going to take more of an effort from us to put more time in just to make sure we’re doing those little things right.”

It’s not just the receivers who are hell-bent upon putting in the work. Rookie running back Taiwan Jones said he and his backfield mates are all-in, as well.

“It was pretty much clear once we lost, we all know that we have a lot of work to do,” Jones said. “We’re all committed to staying and getting Palmer in the rhythm he needs to be in.”

SCHILENS SAYS HE’S FINE

Wide receiver Chaz Schilens was among the seven players deactivated for the Chiefs game. When asked if he is hurt, Schilens said he is “fine” and getting ready to get on the field and get in some running.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Someone asked about T. Owens (Hue said no) but I’ve been told that T.J. Houshmandzadeh is actually a possibility if Palmer & WRs don’t click

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Those that know anything about football know tonga is a good fullback on the rise.

Print That!!!

• Seymour Bush

raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

saladfingerz Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Palmer looks to be exactly what Bengals fans told me: Weakened Arm since injury, throws pick 6 everygame and seems uninterested. I saw all 3 Sunday. In 2 weeks he better be turnover free and making throws all over. Else our season is over.

your azzezzment is wrong.
    ball was coming in hard and fast. dmoore deflected one up in the air, murph quit on another…the one to ford/ flowers was a gift. plenty of mustard on cp3’s ball. did you see the throw to hagan? our rec’s don’t know what to do with that kind of special sauce…so they pulled up short on their routes and alligatored back to the locker room.

__________________________

8 of 21 , 3 picks. 116 yards. Okay my assesment is wrong? He looked amazing. Wow he is the best ever.
    ==================================================

Jesus Christ dude, you can’t get a guy ready in four days. No one can. Palmer himself thought he was going to stand on the sideline with a clip board, which he probably should have. Especially when Haley had one of his linemen dive at his knees on his lst play.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

This is gut check time for palmer. there is no way that Hu jack can go back to boller, after yanking him for a guy that just walked in off the street. Palmer has to earn the trust and belief of the guys in the locker room. These guys are young and they need to be led. This is not the time for any excuse making, or finger pointing. The question becomes can palmer do what campbell did last year. Campbell after5 struggling early eventually played well enough and provided enough leadership to get wins and inspire the confidence of his teammates. this was exceedingly important and carried over to our 4-2 start. can carson come back to lead us to 4-5 wins down the stretch, and be a part of the foundation moving into next year? can he take the heat if it doesnt go well, or will he return to his orange and black colored dive routine? In fact I would say that keeping the locker room together in this time of trouble will be even more important than throwing for a bunch of yards. he will have to be more than fantasy football stat guy, he will have to lead and be accountable.

We better hope so

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue: “It’s a transition period” for offense; “Jason Campbell was the reason we were 4-2″

• autopalm77

21…Good post, Mystic…..I agree….

• Method To My Madness

202.r8dercain Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Print That!!!

*********************

Morilla definitely isnt

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue thinks K Janikowski (hamstring) and FB Reece (ankle) back for Denver game in 13 days
    21 minutes ago »
    VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Mid-foot sprain for McFadden, will get foot looked at, Hue hopes to get him healthy during bye week; ditto McClain (ankle)
    22 minutes ago

• LA to TheBay

Mistic.

You’re on one, bro.

I watched Carson’s post game presser and his comments given on the field.

No finger pointing. He was very matter-of-fact.

Said he doesn’t have a bye week. Said he’s going to work extremely hard and his backs and receivers have said they will work with him.

3 days of practice. Come on.

• Method To My Madness

200.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:44 pm
    Sure thing kid. Cause when Reece is healthy is will be the starter.

*********************

Spare the kid thing with me patna….i’ll go to SD and take your woman and make a kid that you will be forced to raise…with no objections

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Morilla obviously hasn’t been watching film of this guy. He flat out takes his man out of the play.

• inonewordraider

CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran
    #Raiders coach Jackson on RB Darren McFadden’s foot sprain: “We’re going to have the foot looked at and make sure structurally that it’s OK.

• raiderinparadise

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:45 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

saladfingerz Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

your azzezzment is wrong.

__________________________

==================================================

*******************************

LOL I didn’t say anything about how much time he had/excuses/been on a couch for 10 months/retired/anything …. I said he was awful in that game. You can say whatever you want to defend him, but I know the bad situation he was put in, still he was piss-poor … how much can change in 2 weeks? We will find out.

• morilla

You sound like a child MtM. Name calling on the Internet, good job. You are just high on a bay area dude who made the Raiders squad. You are becoming a joke on here. Settle down.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Hali should be fined for literally trying to crawl/dive into Palmer’s knees after he planted to throw. It was beyond obvious that was pre-meditated… I’m all for tough football, but he was a whore going about his biz like that….

• No Mas Diamante

I know Bush went for 100 but it was not all that impressive. That stop at the goal line was devistating. How can you not score from there? I hate it when Bush does his twinkle toes. he’s so good when he just runs. No cuts.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Why would anyone complain about our wr group? Do we need housh to give palmer a security blanket? No palmer needs to hit spots with the ball and he didnt yesterday. It really is that simple.

lets hope he was off because he isnt comfortable yet and still rusty.

These guys are pros, and should be able to overcome it in time. Again he doesnt need to put up monster numbers, just spread the ball and dont turn it over.

• inonewordraider

CorkOnTheNFL Steve Corkran
    #Raiders coach Jackson unsure if team rep will attend Terrell Owens’ workout Tuesday, but adds: “Our scouts go and see everybody work out.”
    1 minute ago

• fingers

every team has one of those games like the Raiders had yesterday…. Yesterday was our
    ” Stinker” game….gotta shrug it off and beat the Donks…
    And Give the Chefs some payback in KC…

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Morilla y u so down on tonga bruh. IYO

• lefty12

B,once again you are overreacting.Nobody is saying Tonga sucks.Nobody wants him gone.Nobody is hating him.Just because I feel Reece brings more to the table doesn’t mean I don’t like Tonga.They both have important roles.And you are wrong,not every FB has the main job of blocking.Ever heard of Czonka,Taylor,Van Eeghen,or Dixon.None of those FBs main job was blocking.

• inonewordraider

Why would anyone complain about our wr group?
    _____________________________
    How many drops did we have or one on one situations where the receiver didn’t fight for the ball to beat his man? I like our WR group developing with Carson but still gotta let em know they f’d up yesterday just like Palmer messed up a couple throws…

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Denarius Moore has 3 catches for 26 yards last 3 games – Hue: “I think that’s direct correlation to where we’ve been at quarterback lately.”
    1 minute ago

• http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com RaiderChaos

Just incase you didn’t get to see the post game pressers……… Here you go……… http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com/2011/10/post-game-pressers-10-24-2011.html

• inonewordraider

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue: “The whole offense had kind of dropped off last couple of weeks. It’s my job … and we’ll get better here really soon, really fast.”

• Method To My Madness

214.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

***********************

Dumbass, kirk morrison from bay…girbril wilson and langston walker……did i not want them gone? find a new angle you jcat

Becoming joke on here? Yeah thats why bloggers tailgate with me dumb fk

• Method To My Madness

221.lefty12 Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

********************

talking guys who got significant carries…bad example….reece can catch and thats it

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Tonga can block an catch passes
    Reece can catch passes not a very good lead blocker tho.
    They need to split playing time

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

# LA to TheBay Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Mistic.

You’re on one, bro.

I watched Carson’s post game presser and his comments given on the field.

No finger pointing. He was very matter-of-fact.

3 days of practice. Come on.
    =========================

“I feel bad for my teammates,” Boller said. “I let my teammates down.” kyle boller

This is called accountability.

“I didn’t think I was going to play, so I didn’t have much expectation,” Palmer said. “I expected to get a feel from watching from the sideline and watching coverages unfold, pass protections be picked up and watch the running game — different play-action things I was expecting to watch from the boundaries.” – palmer

this is an excuse.

He has to just get better and keep quiet.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Kevin Boss showed some really good hands on that play he got hurt on. Dude definitely brought the wood to him. Hopefully he can be back out there sooner than later. Palmer can definitely use a playmaking tight end like that to rely on ’till he’s fully comfortable with the way our receivers come out of their breaks. Good to hear they’re planning on working hard over their off days and not retreating to their homes.

• morilla

I’m not down on Tonga, I like him. I don’t think he has the dame skill set that Reece has. Reece can be used as a weapon out of the backfield and we’ve all seem that. Shoot, even other coaches gameplan for him.

• LA to TheBay

r8dercain Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:55 pm
    Tonga can block an catch passes
    Reece can catch passes not a very good lead blocker tho.
    They need to split playing time

——

Not so sure.

Reece = obvious passing play

Tonga = obvious running play

When unless you seriously start mixing things up.

Personally, I think Reece is dynamic and made a lot of plays when he was healthy. Tonga’s not bad, probably a better pure FB than Reece, but Reece is a playmaker. Eager to get him back for Denver.

• http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com RaiderChaos

I told everyone it was a bad idea to get Palmer into the game so quick. Now look……. National media questioning the trade, fans getting all pissed off at him and for what? Something he couldn’t control, like being brought into a game down 21, Wide Outs that gave up, Special teams that played horrendous, and a defense that was on the field all day. What a whack to dude’s confidence to be brought into a situation where youre going to fail. HE WASNT READY!!!!!!!

• LA to TheBay

Mistic, you see Boller on the sidelines DURING the game and see Palmer?

Thanks.

• lefty12

Not an excuse,just speaking facts.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

229.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:58 pm
    # LA to TheBay Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Mistic.

You’re on one, bro.

I watched Carson’s post game presser and his comments given on the field.

No finger pointing. He was very matter-of-fact.

3 days of practice. Come on.
    =========================

This is called accountability.

this is an excuse.

He has to just get better and keep quiet.

——————————————————

Wow….couldn’t have said it better. And THAT right there was my problem with dude in Cincy. He hardly ever responded like Boller did when the chips were falling and Marvin Lewis and Chad were getting thrown under the bus. He has got to be more stand up. He’s got the talent and the know-how. Hue’s just gotta put that no-nonsense killer in him. Sounds silly, but that’s what I’m cheering for when he’s out there for us. That the Raider Nation’s aura is taking over him.

• Method To My Madness

231.morilla Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 3:00 pm

***************************

My god he wasnt even consistent last year…you do all of that for what maybe 3-4 plays max in a game….whatabout the other 20 something when he has to block?

• LA to TheBay

What is Carson supposed to say?

Kyle has been here for 7 weeks plus camp and HE looked like the guy off the street.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Numnuts666Glen,
    I said SeaPerch needs to step his game up or they need to bring in competition – he stepped up

I said #21 is underachieving – He was

I said L Murphy (lastyear) has alligator arms – He does

Im trying to get Seymour straightened out…..WTF are you doing you little sh!t stain?

DHB did need to go now he can stay.
    _______

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

MistaBrown Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

WHo has Seymours back in here today ? I know you morons are out there! C’mon…

Who was it that said Seymour would get 3+ sacks on Cassell. I told you I would make a public apology if that happened..

Here I am, where are you?
    ============================================

STFU!! You said DHB should be gone, he is fast becoming an excellent receiver. You said Janikowsky should be gone, he is one of the best kickers of all time. Richard Seymour is not having a pro bowl season, he is having an ALL PRO season. But you don’t know anything about anything. And BTW, shagging cans out of the garbage in the Coliseum parking lots in not going to games

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

Hue messed up, when he changed the Saturday night team meal from the tried, and true cold cheeseburgers with warm slaw. To, Taco Bell

The whole team from the coaches down to the guys that fill the gatorade buckets sure looked like they had a case of the “runs to the boarder” flu..

CRAP all over the field….

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

i find it troubling that Hu jack said palmer wanted to be in there, and palmer says he didnt expect to play and had no expectations.

HU jack must circle the wagons and get everyone pulling in the same direction again.

• LA to TheBay

Marvin Lewis and Chad were getting thrown under the bus.
    ————

Those two guys need to be under the bus. Tell the bus driver to throw it in reverse and back over ‘em again.

• Method To My Madness

235.lefty12 Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 3:03 pm
    Not an excuse,just speaking facts.

******************

never said it was an excuse…i know you better than that but those guys you named would get carries for sure during a game….reece maybe one every 3 games?

I need a lead blocker for dmac and bush when we get later in season and possibly playoffs….all that other schit dont work in playoffs….its straight up football then…..thats what wins titles….all that exotic schit dont work for the most part

• elraidmanhattan

Come on you must be joking if you think trading for Palmer was a mistake, he was rushed in
    hue had no choice, he had to put him in, he didn’t want to but what do you want him to do? Holler is a complete disaster.

• lefty12

Many of the same fans that are complaining about Palmer are the same ones that want to see Pryor so soon.Could you imagine what a clusterphuck that would be.

• saladfingerz

raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:45 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

saladfingerz Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

your azzezzment is wrong.

__________________________

==================================================

*******************************

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    you mentioned arm strength as a concern in your original post. sorry, i saw no lack of that at the game. if anything it is a timing issue to be sessed out with the receivers. they are not used to seeing the ball come out like that and are not in correct position in their routes to make a move on the ball.

yep, cp3 did not have a good game. one int to flowers was bad, but the other 2 were on the recs. btw cp3 did his best to chase flowers down as he housed the int…can’t tell you how many times i have seen other raider qb’s give up and stand by watching feeling sorry instead of giving chase. cp3 did seem to care…so again, your assessment is far from accurate or rational.

• Method To My Madness

242.LA to TheBay Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 3:05 pm
    Marvin Lewis and Chad were getting thrown under the bus.
    ————

***************************

LOL

• lefty12

B,sorry,that comment(235) was intended for Mistic.

• Seymour Bush

No Mas Diamante Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

===========================================

I can tell you how you don’t score from the 4 inch line. Jackson calls a wild cat? 63,000 people knew what was coming. If they didn’t stop it, it would have been a miracle. Why the fook did he not just go with his power play? Boller could sneak, either back could dive, or even a pass play. Oh no. Let’s get cutesy wootsy back here.

• http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com RaiderChaos

244.elraidmanhattan Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

____________________________________________________

Ride or die with him. Carson almost got his season ended on the first damn play. Not he is going to be thinking about those interceptions all of the next 2 weeks. It does not help someone to put them in that situation, regardless of what they want.