Jackson says Palmer had nothing to do with Houshmandzadeh signing

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 at 2:59 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Coach Hue Jackson wants everyone to know that the Raiders are his team. He calls the plays on offense, he is responsible for the losses and, most of all, he is the one who decides whether a player is worth adding to the roster.

So it was that Jackson felt compelled to quash any rumblings about recently acquired quarterback Carson Palmer playing a role in the Raiders signing wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on Tuesday.

“None … ,” Jackson said, when asked what role Palmer played in the signing. “A lot of people have said – and I’ve heard all the reports; you walk around and look, and some of the coaches have their TVs on – ‘Oh, this is a Carson Palmer deal.’ Carson Palmer had nothing to do with this. I tried to get T.J. during training camp. People forget that I had a relationship with T.J. I coached him and I know exactly what he is. So, this wasn’t Carson’s idea, by no stretch.”

Jackson said he wanted Houshmandzadeh way back in August, when the Raiders were without the services of wide recievers Jacoby Ford and Louis Murphy due to injury.

Ultimately, the Raiders signed veteran Derek Hagan. Why? Well, Jackson didn’t have the autonomy at that point. That belonged to managing general partner Al Davis.

“At that time, Derek was there, we took Derek,” Jackson said. “I wanted T.J. Hey, like I told you, when coach makes a decision. He made it.”

Jackson said Davis wanted the emphasis placed on younger receivers. Houshmandzadeh, 34, didn’t fit the bill.

Now, Jackson feels as if the Raiders are in need of a proven receiver who can help spark the Raiders struggling passing attack.

“He has ability in the slot, but T.J. can really play everywhere,” Jackson said. “The player that I worked out yesterday still has some of the characteristics he had when I coached him. Obviously, he is a little older and a little more gray, but he knows how to play game. I am excited he’s here.”

Houshmandzadeh said he is excited to be reunited with Palmer and Jackson. Already, he is confident that he can fill a void in the Raiders offense.

“With the guys they have, they’re all fast,” Houshmandzadeh said, “but they don’t really have a guy who can work the middle of the field and can run routes. So I can bring that to the table. With those guys on the outside and the way Carson throws the ball and his ability to understand what a defense is trying to do, we can be really good if we put this thing together real fast.”

Houshmandzadeh hasn’t played in a game of any kind since Jan. 15, when he dropped a fourth-down pass in a game in which his Baltimore Ravens were eliminated from the AFC Playoffs.

That drop still bothers Houshmandzadeh, he said. As a result, he can’t wait to get back on the field and play in a game. Jackson said he expects Houshmandzadeh to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

“It doesn’t haunt me, it bothers me,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Because I don’t drop the ball. But I dropped that ball and I’m not ashamed to say I dropped it.”

Palmer raved about the qualities and intangibles Houshmandzadeh brings to the Raiders.

“T.J.’s always been a tremendous competitor,” Palmer said. “He has a chip on his shoulder. He doesn’t ever want to be covered, doesn’t ever want to drop the ball, he doesn’t ever want to lose a game and he’ll do whatever it takes to make sure those things don’t happen.

“But he’s consistent. He’s really another quarterback on the field. He knows more about offensive and defensive football than any non-quarterback I’ve ever been around.”

PALMER’S ARM JUST FINE

Houshmandzadeh is one of the few people qualified to pass judgment on Palmer’s arm strength. He played with Palmer when Palmer was in his prime, worked out with him the past two summers and caught passes from Palmer in practice Wednesday.

“I noticed it, and it’s a big difference,” Houshmandzadeh said of the zip on Palmer’s passes. People on TV, they’re like, ‘Oh, he doesn’t have the arm strength.’ They don’t know what they’re talking about.”

There was a time when Houshmandzadeh felt as if Palmer wasn’t the same. That came in the summer of 2010, when Palmer and Houshmandzadeh worked out in Southern California.

Palmer’s ball didn’t have the same zip on it, and he appeared to be throwing at less than full strength. When they convened this summer, Palmer looked like the Palmer of old.

“Last summer (in 2010), the zip wasn’t there,” Houshmandzadeh said. “It was at certain times, but he fatigued really quick. But this summer I asked him, it was one of the let times we worked out, actually, and he was like, ‘Yeah, it was bothering me. … ‘ but this summer, I thought, ‘Wow, this is like Carson when we were rolling in Cincinnati.’ ”

HEYWARD-BEY IN UNCHARTED WATERS

Darrius Heyward-Bey has 27 receptions for 434 yards through seven games. Not mind-blowing stats, but they certainly are impressive considering the recent performance of Raiders wide receivers.

Randy Moss totaled 1,005 yards in 2005. Ever since, the Raiders have not had a receiver who caught more than 62 passes or totaled more than 727 yards in a season.

Louis Murphy led the Raiders wide receivers in receptions and yards each of the past two seasons, with 41 for 609 last season and 34 for 521 in 2009. Johnnie Lee Higgins captured both titles in 2008, with 22 for 366. In 2007, Ronald Curry caught 55 for 717. In 2006, Curry had 62 for 727.

Heyward-Bey is on pace for 62 receptions for 992 yards.

NO WORD ON SELLOUT

The Raiders have until Thursday afternoon to sell enough tickets to avoid a blackout of the Broncos game on local TV. It’s uncertain where the Raiders stand toward that end.

They have sold out their first four regular-season home games this season, something that hadn’t been accomplished since the 2008 campaign.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• M Lonetree

for that matter, all 32 teams passed multiple times on Denarius Moore. and Jacoby Ford. and Taiwan Jones. and Louis Murphy. and Chaz Schilens.

• The Big Banana

Kirk Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 10:00 am
    antispy3 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 9:53 am
    Bravo, Kirk. You have earned your captain bars. . .

……………………………….

In my next life I want to be born in Sweden.

___________________

Boy howdy! Ah, the ladies of Sweden. Delicious!

• The Big Banana

M Lonetree Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 10:03 am

___________________

Lol. Because they didn’t draft them before us? Come on, man. You can’t be serious.

• M Lonetree

Twinkle,

I’m not worried about McFootInjury. not with Bush and Jones.
    I just got tired of reading “the sky is falling! the wolves are at the door! oh woe is us!” because the Raiders opted to replace their #6 receiver. thought I’d throw a different subject into the pile.

• mcfadden20.

we’re in day 3 of post great Hagan… o man this team is looking really bad.. now he went to the great broncos team to help their franchise qb to lead to him to promise land… he will always haunt us like Marcus Allen in KC chiefs Uni’s , like Rat face did with broncos, like Schottenheimer (sp?) did with chargers omg this team is so dumb , how could let go one of the best player in this league and to the divisional rivals non the less ..

• The Big Banana

Cfrylopez is proof that we have Raider employees among us. Keep up the good work, Cfry!

• Twinkle

As I’ve discovered in regards to Wisconsin…’a bit west’
    could mean Fond du Lac and that ‘changeable weather’ means hail,tornado,sweltering humidity and cold wind driven rain all before lunch.

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

I have a story about a 20 something Swedish exchange student looking for a going away present @ Sea-Tac Airport. I was all too willing to comply. . .

Coulda had a future but @ the time girlfriend interviened & captured the tell-tale written evidence (wonder if I’d be hanging out with LMN. Reality check; HARDLY!). Drat!

• The Big Banana

Lmao @ #619

• YoungAmerican

Hagan hasn’t signed with the Broncos.

• Twinkle

Mcfadden20…it was an obvious steal by the ‘burros’. A
    vacancy had just occurred in their WR corp after their
    brilliant trade of their only productive player for a 7th
    round draft pick.Couple that with drafting Tebow in the
    1st round as QB and then moving him to Punter after this
    weekend…its totally obvious…they want Hagan to QB.
    We got screwed again!

• LA to TheBay

What is Tebow anyway? I mean as a football player.

Assuming he doesn’t pan out at QB

Can he catch and/or block? Doesn’t seem like it, so TE probably out.

Not fast enough to be a tailback.

I guess he would be a short yardage FB/HB or gimmick utility, wildcat type player.

Maybe he winds up on the couch (or in the pews).

• mcfadden20.

Twinkle Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 10:20 am

Mcfadden20…it was an obvious steal by the ‘burros’. A
    vacancy had just occurred in their WR corp after their
    brilliant trade of their only productive player for a 7th
    round draft pick.Couple that with drafting Tebow in the
    1st round as QB and then moving him to Punter after this
    weekend…its totally obvious…they want Hagan to QB.
    We got screwed again!

——————————–

Obviously now we will have to watch the mules in playoffs everyday..:(

• mcfadden20.

every year..

• Raiders_83

Classic……..

Tebow is facing a torrent of criticism after Sunday’s butt-ugly loss to the Lions, both from within Denver and from the team that dismantled Tebow and the Broncos.

An unnamed Lions defender shared this assessment of Tebow with Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports: “Can you believe 15? Come on – that’s embarrassing. I mean, it’s a joke. We knew all week that if we brought any kind of defensive pressure, he couldn’t do anything. In the second half it got boring out there. We were like, ‘Come on – that’s your quarterback? Seriously?’”

Defensive end Cliff Avril was a bit more restrained. “As long as he felt our pressure, he was gonna make crazy decisions.”

And defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, referring to a controversial Friday headline from NFL.com that couched the Lions-Broncos game as a battle of good vs. evil, put it, “Evil prevails.”

• mcfadden20.

what’s going to happen to Raiders without great Campbell since we replaced him with a scrub (Palmer) and with out great Hagan who we replaced with a never has been (TJ)
    we’re back to last 8 year performance with these moves…

• Master Beeecham

Nothing funnier – or more pleasing – than watching two of my minions crying in each other’s arms over getting slapped around by their Master, Beecham!

Yesterday after I cruised from the blog to party serious on my VIP-only Reggae Party Boat, Nob Raider and Peemore Bush had a girly sob session to get over the humiliations they suffered at my hand.

It was pretty awesome, reminded me of that time Brenda and Kelly wept in each other’s arms because they weren’t invited to the West Beverly High prom.

I’m sure my humble minions will be back today for more punishment, so check back soon for another classic Beeecham style slap down!

CHECK YOUR MIC 1 2 1 2DEM BEATS IS FRESH

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

Tebow will be the team chaplin. . .

Win one for Jesus!

• TheToozFan55

Is there any chance Fox changes his mind and plays Orton instead? Or does he have to stick to the plan?

• SilverAndBlackBleeder
  • Twinkle

Mr Tebow (and I have this from reputable sources)is being
    prepared for life after football (that’s next week) as
    a crash test dummy for Caterpillar.

• Pingback: Raiders’ Jackson: Houshmandzadeh deal ‘wasn’t Carson’s idea’ | Sports, News, Entertainment, US Legislation

• JR

Its good Hagan got another job somewhere but why did he have to pick the Broncos?

Now Tebow and “the pagan” are on the same team.

• Raiders_83

Stickin with my earlier prediction

Raiders 35
    Donkeys 13

Tebow Donkey punched in 3rd….DNF
    biggest question..who replaces..Orton or Quinn

• J Hill

Can’t wait to see our 4 DT Dline and our LBs get after the Donkeys this weekend!

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

“They call her “Al Davis with ovaries.” They wonder if she’d consider that a compliment. Nearly everyone who will talk about Trask uses the word “tough” in describing the woman who is now, three weeks after Davis’ death, the front-office face of the Oakland Raiders. The most powerful woman in the NFL”.

This ^^^^

Me likey!!

• J Hill

Some of you guys really bit on RRS’s Hagan to the Donkeys PROPOGANDA!!!!

Hagan is unemployed!

• Raiderbuck

I can’t imagine he won’t be picked up by some team out there. He can be a good receiver.

• Twinkle

SnBB
    Thanks for the link….really good article!

• J Hill

——————————————————

Which makes all this Hue Davis is running the Raiders talk absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!

Al Davis’ succession planning did not havfe Hue frickin Jackson or any other COACH running HIS Raiders.

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

Any truth to the rumor Kwame Harris went into the theater business?

As a turnstile. . .

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Just watched the Behind the Shield they posted today on Raiders.com of TJ and Jeanette Thompson. From his past two interviews (this 1 on 1, and his brief media interview yesterday), I can definitely tell dude is a stand-up hold nothing back type of cat. Yea, I think it’s easy to tell he’s somewhat of an a$$hole too (Lol), but I can see more so now from these interviews (especially today’s) why Hue brought him in. Maybe he just feels the WR core needs a kick in the a$$. Heck, maybe he isn’t even around next year, and maybe Hue just wants him more so for his personality in an effort to build the bully mentality this year. When she asked him about the reception he got from his teammates, it’s easy to tell it obviously wasn’t a good reception because he stressed it’ll take time for them to get to know each other, and never once said it was good. I respect that dude is all business, and as much as I hate knowing that he’s probably gonna bump heads with more than a few people; it could work out in the long run for the team’s psyche. Hue wants more fire from everyone I’m sure, and I think he knows TJ will light that match. Could be ugly at times, but I think what Hue is doing with this move will pan out. I at least feel a lot better about it today than the other day. It’s kinda funny how easily you can tell dude is an a$$hole! Gotta admit though, as a Raider fan, I’m loving that…..

Ya’ll gotta watch the interview though and lemme know what ya think……

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Hagan to the Donks was pretty predictable in hindsight. It’s typical for teams to grab someone recently cut by a team for some insight. It’s less about the playbook, which they can see well enough from reviewing game tape, and more about learning tendencies of the players. Like I’m sure they’ll be grilling Hagan about anything he saw regarding Palmer’s reads, throwing style, cadence, etc.

If he sticks with the Donks more than a couple weeks past the Raiders games, then we’ll see if there was more to the signing than just intelligence purposes. Then again, as a Raiders WR they know he’s a good downfield blocker. Given that Teblow can’t throw, maybe they want him for his blocking skills for everytime he leaves the pocket and runs.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

Zymurge Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 10:59 am

==============
    It was propaganda! He did not go to the Donks!
    Google for krist sake is your friend.

• qodrn

THE RAIDER PREDICTION BOARD
    Dedicated to the legacy of Al Davis
    Protected by the rally squirrel and Coliseum rodents

First: Ghostraider (exact score)
    Second: Sullivan44

DeuceDeuce Raiders 31 Broncos 20
    DonManoukiansNeighbor Raiders 21 Tebones 10
    downsouthraider Raiders 31 Donkeys 10
    DeuceDeuce Raiders 31 Broncos 20
    DMAC Raiders 31 Donkies 3
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder Raiders 34 Donkeys 17
    fingers Raiders..35….. Donks 13….
    GG Raiders 41 Broncos 13
    ghostraiders Raiders 27. Broncos 17
    John Jarndyce Raiders 24, Broncos 10
    Lowdown_in_Beijing Raiders 27 Broncos 3
    Macho Man Randy Savage Oak 27 Denv 24.
    mcfadden20. 39-13 Raiders
    Mum-O-killowe Raiders 38 Donks 9
    Otis60 Raiders 34 Broncos 14
    PlunkforHOF My beloved Oakland Raiders: 27
    Horse-Faced Crybabys: 3
    JT Denver 20 Raiders 17
    r8dercain Raiders 28 Broncos 13
    Raiders_83 Raiders 35 Donkeys 13
    raiderkoolaid Raiders 24 denver 14
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 35 Denver 0!
    RaiderRockstar Raiders 24 Horse Humpers 13
    RedneckRaider Raiders 31 Broncos 6
    rob_raider raiders 31 broncos 13
    saladfingerz raiders 34 burritos 3
    SilverAndBlackBleeder Raiders 33 Broncos 10
    Slurp Slurp Raiders 40 FartFart 10
    Sullivan44 Raiders 24, Broncos 7
    Zymurge Raiders 41, Donkeys 13

• Pingback: christmas present ideas, best christmas gifts, best christmas presents

• Pingback: диета для похудания