Jackson says Palmer had nothing to do with Houshmandzadeh signing

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 at 2:59 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Coach Hue Jackson wants everyone to know that the Raiders are his team. He calls the plays on offense, he is responsible for the losses and, most of all, he is the one who decides whether a player is worth adding to the roster.

So it was that Jackson felt compelled to quash any rumblings about recently acquired quarterback Carson Palmer playing a role in the Raiders signing wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh on Tuesday.

“None … ,” Jackson said, when asked what role Palmer played in the signing. “A lot of people have said – and I’ve heard all the reports; you walk around and look, and some of the coaches have their TVs on – ‘Oh, this is a Carson Palmer deal.’ Carson Palmer had nothing to do with this. I tried to get T.J. during training camp. People forget that I had a relationship with T.J. I coached him and I know exactly what he is. So, this wasn’t Carson’s idea, by no stretch.”

Jackson said he wanted Houshmandzadeh way back in August, when the Raiders were without the services of wide recievers Jacoby Ford and Louis Murphy due to injury.

Ultimately, the Raiders signed veteran Derek Hagan. Why? Well, Jackson didn’t have the autonomy at that point. That belonged to managing general partner Al Davis.

“At that time, Derek was there, we took Derek,” Jackson said. “I wanted T.J. Hey, like I told you, when coach makes a decision. He made it.”

Jackson said Davis wanted the emphasis placed on younger receivers. Houshmandzadeh, 34, didn’t fit the bill.

Now, Jackson feels as if the Raiders are in need of a proven receiver who can help spark the Raiders struggling passing attack.

“He has ability in the slot, but T.J. can really play everywhere,” Jackson said. “The player that I worked out yesterday still has some of the characteristics he had when I coached him. Obviously, he is a little older and a little more gray, but he knows how to play game. I am excited he’s here.”

Houshmandzadeh said he is excited to be reunited with Palmer and Jackson. Already, he is confident that he can fill a void in the Raiders offense.

“With the guys they have, they’re all fast,” Houshmandzadeh said, “but they don’t really have a guy who can work the middle of the field and can run routes. So I can bring that to the table. With those guys on the outside and the way Carson throws the ball and his ability to understand what a defense is trying to do, we can be really good if we put this thing together real fast.”

Houshmandzadeh hasn’t played in a game of any kind since Jan. 15, when he dropped a fourth-down pass in a game in which his Baltimore Ravens were eliminated from the AFC Playoffs.

That drop still bothers Houshmandzadeh, he said. As a result, he can’t wait to get back on the field and play in a game. Jackson said he expects Houshmandzadeh to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

“It doesn’t haunt me, it bothers me,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Because I don’t drop the ball. But I dropped that ball and I’m not ashamed to say I dropped it.”

Palmer raved about the qualities and intangibles Houshmandzadeh brings to the Raiders.

“T.J.’s always been a tremendous competitor,” Palmer said. “He has a chip on his shoulder. He doesn’t ever want to be covered, doesn’t ever want to drop the ball, he doesn’t ever want to lose a game and he’ll do whatever it takes to make sure those things don’t happen.

“But he’s consistent. He’s really another quarterback on the field. He knows more about offensive and defensive football than any non-quarterback I’ve ever been around.”

PALMER’S ARM JUST FINE

Houshmandzadeh is one of the few people qualified to pass judgment on Palmer’s arm strength. He played with Palmer when Palmer was in his prime, worked out with him the past two summers and caught passes from Palmer in practice Wednesday.

“I noticed it, and it’s a big difference,” Houshmandzadeh said of the zip on Palmer’s passes. People on TV, they’re like, ‘Oh, he doesn’t have the arm strength.’ They don’t know what they’re talking about.”

There was a time when Houshmandzadeh felt as if Palmer wasn’t the same. That came in the summer of 2010, when Palmer and Houshmandzadeh worked out in Southern California.

Palmer’s ball didn’t have the same zip on it, and he appeared to be throwing at less than full strength. When they convened this summer, Palmer looked like the Palmer of old.

“Last summer (in 2010), the zip wasn’t there,” Houshmandzadeh said. “It was at certain times, but he fatigued really quick. But this summer I asked him, it was one of the let times we worked out, actually, and he was like, ‘Yeah, it was bothering me. … ‘ but this summer, I thought, ‘Wow, this is like Carson when we were rolling in Cincinnati.’ ”

HEYWARD-BEY IN UNCHARTED WATERS

Darrius Heyward-Bey has 27 receptions for 434 yards through seven games. Not mind-blowing stats, but they certainly are impressive considering the recent performance of Raiders wide receivers.

Randy Moss totaled 1,005 yards in 2005. Ever since, the Raiders have not had a receiver who caught more than 62 passes or totaled more than 727 yards in a season.

Louis Murphy led the Raiders wide receivers in receptions and yards each of the past two seasons, with 41 for 609 last season and 34 for 521 in 2009. Johnnie Lee Higgins captured both titles in 2008, with 22 for 366. In 2007, Ronald Curry caught 55 for 717. In 2006, Curry had 62 for 727.

Heyward-Bey is on pace for 62 receptions for 992 yards.

NO WORD ON SELLOUT

The Raiders have until Thursday afternoon to sell enough tickets to avoid a blackout of the Broncos game on local TV. It’s uncertain where the Raiders stand toward that end.

They have sold out their first four regular-season home games this season, something that hadn’t been accomplished since the 2008 campaign.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• JR77

548.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 6:43 am
    Don’t forget Kwame “the turnstile” Harris

+++++++++

Surprised Harris never got whiplash from turning his neck so much as he watched defensive ends run by him.

————–

In all fairness to Al, that was a Cable dumb@ss move

• bcz24

TJ has been here all of two days and says our other wides are afraid to cross the middle and don’t run crisp routes ???

TJ Housh needs to button his lips and start playing football imo

31 other teams passed on him for the vet minimum, first 8 weeks of this season.
    **********************************
    I think that comment is being twisted to sound like a shot at our WRs, as opposed to what it really was, which was TJ saying I bring a different skill set to this team to compliment what they have.

32 teams have passed on TO and you STILL want him. You guys just arent being objective here. TJ is an upgrade over Hagan PERIOD.

Hagan was cut before we installed the gameplan for the Broncos game, so it is unlikely that he will go there and just give them our playbook and they will just destroy us because of it. There is a code of ethics in the NFL, John Fox wouldn’t want our playbook before the game, he would rather lose than cheat.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++

I agree, I think at worst it was a stupid way to phrase “They’re speed, field-stretching guys, I’m a possession receiver.”

• Carl Weathers

Bcz24, I agree with you on the TJ comment but don’t think for a minute that Fox won’t be grilling Hagan for any info that will give him an edge.

• tuckrulefool

ENUF ALREADY WITH TJ BLATHER…

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY…

SIGN BODDEN!

WHAT IS GUNSLINGER JACKSON WAITING FOR, ESP IF GUTIERREZ IS RIGHT THAT CJ37 IS GOING IR.

DO IT…NOW!

• chargerschoke

Hagan came, put in the work , got paid , got dropped, Coach does TJ have the same agent too? I guess the the moral is great right now in the locker room, it’s a business , your friends won’t be around much! Tell Palmer to stop throwing rockets on purpose to make the young boys look bad! Yeah they should catch all passes with hands and not body but throwing a laser rocket on a five yard slant is stupid! No more gifts for your old boss Mike Brown also!

• Raiderbuck

We had a bye week, he was NOT cut before the Donco game plan. I suppose if it was going to happen it should happen with the Doncos game, and not a good team. I just hate it!

• hwnrdr

554.Carl Weathers Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 6:50 am

Exactly! Remember when Tom Jackson gave his story about Al Davis…Al told him to get outta here when he was a reporter because he used to be a Bronco…Tom said do you really think I will give that info out, and Al said, he if you was a Raider and covering the Broncos training camp, I tell ya to tell me what’s going on there…
    So yeah, Fox is probably loving this right now!

• bcz24

The gameplan for the Donkeys was installed yesterday. Hagan was cut Tuesday.

• bcz24

Ya know it is kind of amusing to me. You come here to a Raider FAN site and you would think we were 0-7 and Armageddon was approaching.

Outside of here, most power rankings have us as the best in the west, ESPN’s fan poll had over 60% of the votes for us to win the West. The general concensus around the league is that things are looking up for us. But oh no. Not here. We cut marginal players for pro bowlers and the sky is falling

• Raiderbuck

bcz24 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:12 am

*****************************************************
    Any given Sunday, we don’t need to do them any favors. TE-Blow or not.

After this last decade don’t ever doubt my fanaticism for the RAIDERS!!

• Just Fire Baby

Hagan to the Donks huh?

Bronco’s had the 2nd pick, so they were 2nd on waiver claims as well.

Guess everyone that said he wouldn’t get picked whiffed on that one.

Only 1 team passed on him on waivers!!!

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Morning guys

hue is doing things his way now. He prolly would have done things this way of coach Davis would have allowed it.

We will see how this works. Guys have been saying let the coaches coach an have say so on personnel now it’s like that an that’s the way it is.

We just have to wait an see!!

• Just Fire Baby

If the Donks waived Matt Willis, as someone posted, to clear room for Hagan, than this wasn’t a one-week rental to get some info deal.

Willis has been a preseason phenom the last 2 years in Denver, and people had high hopes for him. Made a big catch at the end of the Dolphins game.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

If hagan gets cut after the raider game then we know why they picked him up.

• hwnrdr

Any given Sunday…Our given Sunday has to be the rest of the year! Starting with the Donks at home!

• CJ Legend 34

The Hagan Warrior would have went over the middle if we would have through him the d@mn ball.

• JR77

560.bcz24 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:12 am

=====================

I second that, I will never understand what the lovefest is all about for marginal never was players,
    I can understand the complaints for letting Nnamdi and Miller go, but Hagan, Tonga, Sterling, Stevie…common ah?

• JR77

I retract that, Miller and Nnamdi as well as Gallery wanted out and cost too much anyway..they haven’t set the world on fire since they left either

• SilverNBlackPA

Bcz24 is ON POINT today, fellas.

• bcz24

***************************************
    You obviously arent understanding how important it was to give CP a receiver he has chemistry with until the comfort level builds with our other receivers.

• SilverNBlackPA

JR77 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:33 am

+++++++++

To be fair to Nnamdi, he’s been misused by the Eagles for most of this season.

Why you’d take maybe the best press-man cover corner the league has seen since Primetime’s heyday and make him play zone, I will never understand.

I said to friends of mine who are fans of other teams who play zone, you better hope your team doesn’t sign him because you won’t be getting the elite player you think.

• Raiderbuck

JR77 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:30 am

560.bcz24 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:12 am

=====================

*****************************************************
    Well my complaint is not only we let a good player go, but what I’m really going on about it that the Doncos picked him up!
    I can guarantee that he will give them as much info as possible to beat us. Grrrrrr!

• bcz24

Believe me I understand the fear of change, especially with how much change is happening so quickly. If you step back and look at these moves objectively they make sense. Yes Carson Palmer was expensive, BUT we couldn’t finish the season out with Boller (we all saw exactly why) and now we got him a receiver to ease the transition. Ndukwe is a clear upgrade over Boyd no matter how you slice it. Sheppard is a clear upgrade over Ron Parker (who never even dressed for a game). We are filling holes and getting better.

Drink some of the KoolAid fella’s it is mighty tasty about now.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++

No worries, I’m sure they’ll pick his brain, but there’s nothing he can tell them that they can’t discover watching film.

As someone said, the specific gameplan for a given week is installed on Wednesdays. Hagan was gone by then. At best he can give them some educated guesses.

• CJ Legend 34

I obviously know CP is a pro QB and he has to make adjustments, but we will see.

I get it! I just don’t see why you cut a guy like Hagan who can make the tough catches and don’t forget he also spent time working out with Palmer over the off season.

Chaz the glass, Muppet Murphy, or take your pick outside of the WR position should have hit the road.

oh well it is a done deal!

• JR77

To be fair to Nnamdi, he’s been misused by the Eagles for most of this season.

////////////////////

I think Castillo finally came around and started using Nnmadi, Asante and DRC in press man to man coverage a lot and lo and behold they shut down the cowboys big time

• hwnrdr

Well, to be fair, I think The Donks would have picked up any receiver that we would have let go for TJ…just a hunch

• JR77

=======================

The Donks picked up dead weight, its not like they just got Tim Brown out there, they got bigger problems, tebow cant hit the side of bus, especially with the pressure our D will give him, dialing up blitzes all day, tebow will just fold by the 2nd quarter…as far as the game plan issue, it will not matter if Bush / taiwan run wild and all over down their throats, that should be the game plan Hue installs to begin with, wont matter whether they know it or not.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++++

I still maintain they should’ve cut Ausberry because there’s no way they don’t sneak him through to the practice squad. Teams wouldn’t exactly be lining up to claim a raw rookie TE with 1 catch so far this season.

Ultimately, though, no big loss.

• SilverNBlackPA

What’s great about Tebow’s inability to throw is that it’ll free Chucky B to send Huff and/or Branch on the blitz all day long.

• bcz24

DHB, Ford, Moore are still our future. Chaz, Murph and Hagan were ‘on the bubble’, the org has invested more in Chaz and Murph, and they are younger than Hagan. Hagan is a journeyman brought in here a few months ago. He was the obvious candidate to get cut.

• CanuckRaider

Hwnrdr is right. The Donks would have grabbed Murphy or Chaz. And I seem to remember us picking up someone from the Patsies just before we played them a few years back. Didn’t seem to help us much.
    I think I’ve figured out that LMN is actually Sinead O’Connor…Those recent hysterical posts re: religion and spankings (as separate subjects) were the giveaway.
    Raiders 38 – Donks 13

• Raiderbuck

TE-Blow can scramble away from pressure though. Seymour and Kelly are going to have a hard time catching him if he sees them coming.

• bcz24

Tebow’s #1 problem is that he doesn’t ‘see’ the defense like good QBs. He has no ability to read defenses, which is why he is very good in the 2 minute drill, because the defense is on its heels reacting to him, versus him reading what they do.

• Carl Weathers

bcz24 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:38 am

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@2

All these moves so far, includung Curry, ahve improved the team, no doubt. I think people are just upset that it was Hagan, the only veteran WR & possesion guy on the roster, that got the axe.
    After looking at the roster, I don’t see anyone else they could have gotten rid of outside of Chaz, but I even prefer him over Hagan. Tonga has to be kept in case Reece isn’t healthy.

• SilverNBlackPA

bcz24 Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:48 am
    Tebow’s #1 problem is that he doesn’t ’see’ the defense like good QBs. He has no ability to read defenses, which is why he is very good in the 2 minute drill, because the defense is on its heels reacting to him, versus him reading what they do.

+++++++++++++++

No coincidence this was also the only time Russell ever looked like a semi-competent QB.

• CanuckRaider

Heat Tebow up and mix up the coverages and it’s all over for the Donks. The rushers just have to stay disciplined and keep their lanes. Denver might get an early one from Tebow running around but that will be all.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

B@uce, can you fix this by Sunday?

OAKLAND, Calif. — A protest that shut down the Port of Oakland to show the broadening reach of the Occupy Wall Street movement ended in violence when police in riot gear arrested dozens of protesters overnight who broke into a vacant building, shattered downtown windows, sprayed graffiti and set blazes along the way.

At least four protesters were hospitalized Thursday with various injuries, including one needing stitches after fighting with an officer, police said. Several officers were also injured but didn’t need hospitalization.

“We go from having a peaceful movement to now just chaos,” protester Monique Agnew, 40, said early Thursday.

REUTERS
    A demonstrator waves a flag as rubbish burns at the Occupy Oakland demonstration.
    Photos: Occupy Oakland Movement Turns Violent
    see more videos PHOTOS: OCCUPY OAKLAND TURNS VIOLENT

EDITORIAL: TIME TO THROW THE BUMS OUT

Protesters also threw concrete chunks, metal pipes, lit roman candles and molotov cocktails, police said.

The far-flung movement of protesters challenging the world’s economic systems and distribution of wealth has gained momentum in recent weeks, capturing the world’s attention by shutting down one of the nation’s busiest shipping ports toward the end of a daylong “general strike” that prompted solidarity rallies across the U.S.

Several thousands of people converged on the Port of Oakland, the nation’s fifth-busiest harbor, in a nearly five-hour protest Wednesday, swarming the area and blocking exits and streets with illegally parked vehicles and hastily erected, chain-link fences afterward.

Port spokesman Isaac Kos-Read said evening operations had been “effectively shut down.”

Port officials hoped to resume maritime operations Thursday “and that Port workers will be allowed to get to their jobs without incident. Continued missed shifts represent economic hardship for maritime workers, truckers, and their families, as well as lost jobs and lost tax revenue for our region.”

Supporters in New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and elsewhere staged smaller-scale demonstrations. Each group said its protest was a show of support for the Oakland movement, which became a rallying point when an Iraq War veteran was seriously injured in a clash with police last week.

The larger Occupy movement has yet to coalesce into an organized association and until the port shut down had largely been limited scattershot marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.

Organizers in Oakland viewed the strike and port shutdown as a significant victory. Police said that about 7,000 people participated in demonstrations throughout the day that were peaceful except for a few incidents of vandalism at local banks and businesses.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/occupy_oakland_protests_degenerate_u443e11zKyb0uKWOue4qRL#ixzz1cedrPUN5

• SilverNBlackPA

CanuckRaider Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 7:54 am
    Heat Tebow up

+++++++++++++++

I am in favor of just lighting him on fire.

• LA to TheBay

Wow, Kleenex Crew is still in full effect.

• daraider09

Asante Samuel is not a man to man corner.
    He is a gambling zone corner that gets torched when he actually has man to man duties.
    Deangelo Hall=Devin McCourty=Asante Samuel

• LA to TheBay

Cutting Hagan for TJ = good move.

TJ is a great football player.

Get over it!

Hue Davis got this.

• Carl Weathers

After Sunday we will be 5-3 and in the lead as the chefs and chumps will both lose.

• Pretty Rick

People are cracking me up. When Al Davis made all of the decisions, everybody complained because the coaches had no freedom in any decision making, now we have a coach that has the freedom to make choices with players he feels he can get the best production from,, now everveybody complaining because they feel like it’s something Al Davis wouldn’t have done. I got all the respect for Al but the decisions he made for years ( with the exception of the last few years) wasn’t that great. The complaints on here reminds me of women who get mad because they want their boyfriend to take the next step and become their husband,, then when he marry her ass, she wants him to go back to doing things like when he was her boyfriend. In other words she’s never satisfied, and always complaining. That’s what some of these posts in here sound like,,,complaining nagging wives,, you miserable,,, I mean married men know what I’m talking about. Stop complaining and enjoy winning.

• LA to TheBay

My neighbor Pretty Rick nailed it.

• Pretty Rick

LA,,,sup cuz.

• JR77

Lets see…

Coach Hue Davis’ spending spree = CP3, TJ, Curry = A minus

Coach Davis’ spending spree = Javon “make it rain” Walker, D Hall, Gerbil Wilson, Kwame Harris = F plus

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

548.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 6:43 am
    Don’t forget Kwame “the turnstile” Harris

+++++++++

======================================================
    Kwame can be seen at the Tijuana Bull Fighting ring performing as a Matador as he has the TORO move down pat from his Raider days.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++

LMAO, right outside is Barrett Robbins passed out in the gutter in a pool of his own vomit.

Down the street, Andrew Walter & Stu Schweigert are working the donkey show