Raiders notes, quotes

Subbing for Steve Corkran . . .

Better late than never as I got off a plane not long before the Hue Jackson press briefing and then had to tend to print responsibilities. Some news, notes and observations from Thursday night and Friday:

– Quarterback Carson Palmer thinks Michael Bush helped soften up the San Diego defense for his deep passing. Palmer averaged nearly 15 yards per pass attempt, a staggering number.

“He wears down the safeties,’’ Palmer said. “They don’t want to get back in coverage. They don’t want to turn and run quite as quickly because they’re getting hit by a guy that’s 40 pounds, 50 pound heavier than they are.’’

– Perception changes radically in the NFL. The Raiders were the subject last week of a Profootballtalk.com story which alleged locker room issues and a borderline-out-of-control coach Hue Jackson.

“You lose and things get said, and I hear them, but I never felt it in the locker room,’’ Jackson said. “I know everyone else was concerned. I wasn’t.’’

Second-year linebacker Rolando McClain and left guard-turned center Stefen Wisniewski are getting the hang of how perception changes week to week in the NFL.

“We never worry about what everybody says,’’ McClain said. “We have a good sense of each other in this locker room and that’s all that matters. We believe in each other.’’

Said Wisniewski: “Early in the year, everyone was talking about how good we are. And then we suck after a couple of losses. And now we’re good again. It’s a heavily criticized job, but that’s the nature of the business.’’

– He won’t win or probably even contend, because offensive linemen never do, but it’s hard to imagine many rookies playing better than Wisniewski, who took over at center for Samson Satele and was conspicous with some downfield blocks on screens to Michael Bush as well as his usual solid play inside.

Great draft pick, and to think there were pundits who thought Wisniewski wasn’t physical enough and had essentially peaked out as a college player because he lacked the athleticism to get much better.

– Another unsung hero from Thursday night _ left guard Stephon Heyer. Heyer approached Jackson last week and told him he was up to the challenge if Wisniewski needed to slide over and play center. Jackson decided to go with the veteran over Joe Barksdale and Heyer was part of the Raiders’ line dominance.

– The Raiders dominated both sides of the line so clearly it’s amazing the Chargers were even in position to tie late in the game. Their physical dominance was such that the game shouldn’t have been close.

– Here are the top five performances in Raiders history in terms of yards from scrimmage:

The top five yards from scrimmage games in Raiders history:
Date/Player/tcb-yds/pc-yds/Yards/
10-20-63/Clem Daniels/27-200/1-56/256/
9-15-63/Clem Daniels/13-76/3-172/248/
12-22-63/Art Powell/0-0/10-247/247/
11-10-11/Michael Bush/30-157/3-85/242/
11-30-87/Bo Jackson/18-221/1-14/235/

Bush is in the last year of his contract and it will take some creative contract work to get him back in the fold next year. He’ll be much like Lamont Jordan and Michael Turner _ a complentary back that a team will spend big money on to make a lead back.

– Wide receiver Jacoby Ford said Friday he didn’t think his sprained ankle was serious and that it was a different kind of sprain than the one that’s kept Darren McFadden on the bench.

The Raiders have a 10-day break before their next game in Minnesota. They don’t practice Saturday or Sunday.

– Chalk up another strategy the Raiders have been reluctant to embrace in recent years _ having Stanford Routt follow Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson much of the night. Jackson was targeted seven times and caught one pass for 22 yards.

Jackson appeared to give a half-hearted effort on Philip Rivers’ interception to Matt Giordano in the end zone when the Chargers were attempting to tie the score. Tight end Antonio Gates, meanwhile, looks older and slower, much as recent published reports have suggested.

San Diego was missing some important players _ guard Kris Dielman, wide receiver Malcom Floyd, outside linebacker Shaun Phillips and defensive end Luis Castillo among them _ but this was not a top-of-the-line San Diego team by any means.

Having seen all the teams in the division now, the Raiders ought to be very disappointed if they don’t win the AFC West.

– Hue Jackson said he threw the challenge flag on Carson Palmer’s fumble in the third quarter even though he knew it wouldn’t be overturned and ruled an incomplete pass.

Jackson said he wanted to give the defense a rest and figured he’d take a shot and hope for a judgment call. If not, he was willing to trade the timeout for the break so the defnese could compose itself.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Try Some Reality

Lefty12 Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 11:39 am
    TSR,we weren’t running the ball well late in the Denver game.The thing is with CP we have a better chance when we can’t run.

======================================

Noted. When I made that comment, I was thinking of our last offensive series in this last game. We stopped the clock with a failed pass attempt on 2nd down. Granted, we made up for it with a successful completion on 3rd to move the sticks, but had that one failed too, we would have given SD way too much time. I guess one of those things where it’s criticized if it fails and praised if it works. In general though, in that situation, I like to see running plays.

That being said, I remember past coaches (even Gruden) being too conservative at the end and playing to lose any time they have the lead in the 4th. I definitely don’t want that. Keep attacking. But run it when you’re at 2-3 minutes left to play. 40 seconds is huge in that situation.

• lefty12

There is no doubt our O functions much better when the run is working and it helps set up the pass.However,I believe that is where CP improves us.If the run isn’t working,CP will be able to carry the team through the air.No offense to JC,but he couldn’t.

• HayesDaze37

“I don’t believe in unnecessary risks like throwing a deep ball when you have the lead late in the 4th Q…”

—–

Hue only knows one way to call plays…to change much would be to become too predictable. The timely deep ball, even when leading late, is an excellent weapon…it can put the dagger in (something we’ve all been wanting). Yes, it can be picked, but it can be like a punt then. It also keeps the DB’s/LB’s a little more on their heels, not knowing when to take the extra step up against the run.

Hue Jax and CP3 = They are who we think they are…and we’re gonna have to just accept them for who they are.

• Try Some Reality

Keep him (and Mike Bush) healthy, and CP3 takes the team right into the Playoffs.

=====================================

Agree. Health will determine how far we get.

• lefty12

It would be great if we start to get healthy and stop losing guys as others return.It sure would be nice to see the whole team healthy at once.

• DaTruth91

Agreed with the earlier comments. health is the key in the NFL. I.E the niners and packers are relatively healthy and have the best record.

Hue needs to figure out a way to utilize his weapons to the MAX…and truth be told, that is difficult. He has 3 RB’s that deserve touches, he has 3 WR’s that are proving the deserve the ball thrown to them and has a TE in Boss, that is reliable as well

this might be a absurd statement, but this offensive team has the makings to be the most balanced, efficient offese in the league, better than the Packers( pass heavy) or the Niner (Run Heavy) offenses.
    —->>>this is all pending the return of DMAC and Ford and the team not suffering any injuries

• HayesDaze37

Get rid of Tommie Kelly?? Getthefugouttahere.

This is not Warren Sapp’s Tommy Kelly we’re talking about. This is the TK that we always knew was in there. Richard Seymour disappearing? Hardly. Who cares if his name’s not called so much, as long as the players around him are making plays? Seymour’s the #1 reason this D-line has a chance to be great. The young guys are tougher, and wiser, because of Seymour.

Seymour & Kelly are having dynamite seasons. And so are the kids playing around them…in large part because the old guys are kickin arse.

Oh, yeah…those contract $$ amounts posted above are waaaay out-dated, and a lot of those deals have been re-worked. Some more than once.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

57.4.2 40 Says:
    November 11th, 2011 at 8:50 pm
    If you have a kindly message, some caring words to say,
    Don’t forget it, share it today.
    The words that go unspoken, the letters never sent,
    Are like unburned candles, there light and warmth unspent?
    There’s always a heart waiting just to hear from you,
    And your words have the power to make the rays shine through.
    Sometimes I am sure you thought I was confused, lost without a clue,
    From all of the faces I’d shown to you.
    And I am sure all of your days you must rue,
    All of the changes that I’d put you all through.
    It must have been hard to understand that all four seasons lied within my hand,
    A tempest that no one could tame or command.
    We all knew it well,
    That I was your heaven and I was your hell.
    I was the cold breath of winter, the daisies in the spring,
    The fire in your heart, an angel with soft wings.
    But my decisions must have gotten old,
    I appeared so very heartless and so very cold.
    I am sure you would have been relieved, if I could only reveal,
    That my heart could, truly love and feel.
    When I was alone, I would often cry. I thought about the fans of the Nation, and I felt so bad.
    And I tried over and over to show everyone that you were the best thing I’ve ever had.
    I wish I could have told you how much I did care,
    And explain how good it felt to know that the fans were there.
    And more than anything, I wish I could have been,
    Everything you ever wanted of me.
    Remember when I was going to extremes that no matter how distant I would seem,
    The Raiders, always were my greatest dream.
    So send all your loved ones a kind message, there’s never a reason to wait.
    As for me, you don’t have to express your heart, my loyal fans, it’s now too late.

When you think of a person and what he has done in his life, was that person kind, generous, loyal, caring, devoted, daring, tactical, loving, persuasive, genuine and fair, you can look back and consider those qualities or inequalities that they achieved or didn’t as being a testament or legacy of what an individual stood for. What his life meant. Was there a meaning or goodness to his life. Was that life purposeful in someway. Did it bring hope and happiness to others by benevolence or courage. Did that life reach into peoples souls and produce things that they themselves may not have believed, capable of. All of these questions and so many more can be considered a part of someones legacy. What did they leave before leaving us. I think the greatest complement one can give is that they gave more than they ever asked for. I have only known two individuals in my lifetime that I can say and answer unequivocally yes too. I have lost both this year. So, we have the cherished memories of those we have lost. The smile and that quest and thirst for life and how to make it better for others is no longer. Can any of us say we gave more than we ever asked for. I can’t answer that question and speak of myself and say yes I did.

But if you have an inspiration or someone who has reached into your soul and delivered that quality or aspiration inside of you to be better, maybe we can answer that affirmatively before we are gone from life. Mr. Antol and Mr. Davis provided that impetus and one can only aspire to be, in our lives, what they were to me……Love always…..AP77

***************************

Phenomenal. Love it.

• big fan

Try Some Reality Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 11:20 am
    Cervantes Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 11:12 am

The one thing I really like about Palmer aside from his throws is that he’s not afraid to audible into a running play.

============================================

An absolute field general out there. We’ve never seen so much audibling at the line of scrimmage for quite some time here.

I’m not sure if you’re alluding to Palmer overriding Hue’s play calls. I just think he’s taking what he sees is available based on the defense. Nice to have a QB that can recognize that sort of thing. Telling you, this offense will only get better. It’s a brand new era for Raider football, fellas.

And don’t get me wrong. There will be picks and mistakes. But I think they will be fewer as time goes on and Palmer will help this offense achieve it’s full potential.

—————————————

Fck Yeah! And for Palmer to step in and have a game like that while still learnig the Raiders system and o-line and WRs’ was fckng huge. CP is shaking the rust off quick, and getting the ball to the playmaker Moore is where its at. And with the Bush ground attack, that is some good schit.

• HayesDaze37

Ride Carson Palmer into the Playoffs…and let the Defense come into its own along the way. Then, watch the Defense dominate a game or three on the way to glory.

It really can happen.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Question for thought. I know this is off subject. Anyway, is it me or does the lead singer of Foxy Shazam look as though he has some “sugar” in the tank? lol Just saying.

• lefty12

Hayes,we control our destiny and that is good.We don’t have to depend on anyone.Just go out and win and the division is ours.Once in the tournament anything is possible.

• HayesDaze37

Jan 1 — The last game of the year vs SD could be like a Playoff game.

Followed by a home game vs a Wild Card team (Pittsburgh?).

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

**************************************

Foxy Shazam, lead singer has suga in the tank or what is it?

• Try Some Reality

Here’s to Carson Palmer being worth every bit of those draft picks.

===================================

Here’s the thing with being worth the draft picks. Teams miss on QBs in the draft all the time. Here we have a QB where you know what he can do. He can be an upper echelon QB, and with our speed and talent, I had no doubt and neither did Hue about what he could achieve.

So people keep looking at that round 1 and round 2 picks, a steep price, yes. But Hue knew what he was getting and the value of a franchise QB is incredible. They don’t grow on trees folks.

Biggest drawback is his age. What does he have, 5 or 6 years left maybe? I’ll still take it. With all this talent and speed, the time is now. Gonna be hard to keep everyone around.

• Try Some Reality

And just to clarify, I know you weren’t criticizing the trade, Hayes. Just adding my thoughts for those that did criticize it.

I’m out for a little while, fellas. Enjoy your afternoon.

• DKnight007

Sullivan44 Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 9:51 am

morilla Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 9:49 am

Still no coverage of thug Charger fan stabbing a Raider fan. Go figure

……….

While Nebraska and PSU players were praying, PSU fans were yelling, “Bullschit, bullschit”, but ESPN drowned it out. No doubt the sports media protects certain teams and fan bases, while vilifying others.

^^^^^^^
    Exactly!

• HayesDaze37

This team seems to have a hard time grasping control when it’s right in front of them. The best season in nearly a decade is upon us, and if everyone plays (and coaches) to their potential, this is a Playoff team.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders r8eray

What up everyone!!! Im back….and made it home safe!

• lefty12

TSR,while we might not be able to keep everyone around,those that would probably leave-RBs or WRs -are replaceable because I doubt we let the main guys go-McFadden,Moore,Ford,McClain,Curry, and possibly DHB.While Bush is a damn good back,backs are one of the easiest positions to reload.The key will be keeping the Oline intact or even making it better.

• DKnight007

A 1st and a 2nd for a franchise type QB who is vet, can read defenses, make audibles, is smart, works hard, and can make all the throws and is a field general ahead of an unknown middle to late round 1st round pick?

I take that all day long…just as long as Carson stays healthy.

• HayesDaze37

Exactly

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

DHB is done. Palmer in the post game talking about how the sky is the limit for D moore and how great Ford is then throws in at the end. “….and DHB…what runs a 4.2″ Palmer wont throw to DHB if he has to make a play over the D.

• DKnight007

Lefty,

I would rather the team resign Bush now. Then IF need be they can use him as trade bait later.

It will be very difficult to replace a back like Bush in the upcoming draft and even in free agency. Bush is a valuable asset.

Seymour, Routt, Wimbley, CJ, Kelly, and Huff can restructure down their contracts again or the cap numbers will not have as much of an impact or will come of the books.

I don’t think Carlisle will be back next season either.

• lefty12

Finally some people making sense about the trade.Some people don’t realize the importance or benefit of having an elite QB,or recognize when someone is elite.

• DKnight007

HayesDaze37 Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

^^^^^^^^
    It’s going to come down to Huey and Chuck B getting that defense to play better each and every game for this team to get to the playoffs. Period!

• DKnight007

The penalties need to be cut also!

• lefty12

I’d love to resign Bush.But we can’t resign someone who doesn’t want to sign and I’m not sure Bush wants to stay knowing McFadden is the starter when he is healthy.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Lefty

Went over and watched the game with Plunkforhof at Coaches. He’s a cool guy.

• lefty12

DHB will still be needed on this team.When Palmer made those comments they were in response to being asked about the speed of our WRs.Moore,Ford, and DHB form a dynamic young WR tandem.

• lefty12

Is there another team with as good a set of young WRs as we have?

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

231.
    No i dont think there is. But its seems to me Palmer does not consider DHB one of his prime targets by his comments. And Hue taking playing time away from DHB to put TJ in DHB’s place. Just doesnt look good for him.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See November 12, 2011 « Raiders Central - The Ultimate Oakland Raiders Blog

• DKnight007

lefty12 Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

^^^^^^^
    Bush doesn’t want to resign with the Raiders?

The team has made multiple offers to him and he has refused? When did this happen?

• DKnight007

Let’s try not to bring up some BS about Palmer not liking DHB.

No need to come up with some unecessary drama with this team. This team has a division to WIN!

• edward teach

I’m not a cap expert by any stretch and I could be very wrong here, but I think the Raiders most likely couldn’t sign Bush to a new contract (or an extension) right now if they wanted to.

Someone correct me if necessary, but I think we don’t currently have the cap room.

• Pingback: den led chieu sang

• Pingback: exchange rates nz

• Pingback: home extensions

• Pingback: fake proof address, fake scan proof address

• Pingback: Short Sale My Home New Jersey