1,352

Raiders in nice situation, striving to make it even better

The Raiders are 5-4, with a one-game lead in the AFC West. That’s nice and all, coach Hue Jackson said, but the Raiders can’t afford to lose the momentum they worked hard to build to this point.
A win against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday would give the Raiders a great chance to build a two-game lead, given the San Diego Chargers, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs face tough opponents Sunday.
“That’s all you can ask for is that you are in control, that it’s not about somebody doing something for you,” Jackson said. “It’s about you taking care of your own business. We don’t have to worry, well, if this team beats this team or that team beats that team. What we have to do is go out and compete and play as well as we can play every week and win games.
“That’s the only opportunity you want in this profession when you’re in these situations because then it’s dictated by us, it’s not dictated by anybody else.”
Jackson said he and his players are aware of their situation because it gets written about and reported on so much. Beyond that, they just try to remain focused and keep pushing forward.
Quarterback Carson Palmer said he and his teammates keep things in perspective, not wanting to get too far ahead of themselves as the Raiders attempt to earn a playoff berth for the first time since 2002.
“We talk about it a lot,” Palmer said. “There aren’t many times or opportunities you have in this league to control your own destiny, really. We’re at that position, and we want to stay here. We want to get to Week 16, 17 and still be in this position.
“But before any of that happens, there’s a lot of football left and a lot of improvements to make. We’re going to work to play our best football, especially as the season draws closer and closer to the Week 17 games.”

WISNIEWSKI IN RARE COMPANY
The Raiders selected center/guard Stefen Wisniewski in the second round of this year’s NFL draft. To hear Jackson tell it, Wisniewski should have been long gone before the Raiders made their initial pick of the seven-round process — they traded away their first-rounder to the New England Patriots for defensive tackle Richard Seymour.
“I’ve only been around one other guy that I know of that, as a rookie, could come in and play, and play well, and that was Michael Oher from Baltimore,” Jackson said. “This guy’s off the charts. Kudos to our scouting department for seeing those characteristics in him that he demonstrated in college. That’s exactly what he’s doing here.”
Wisniewski has played guard and center for the Raiders, moving to center whenever Samson Satele is hurt. He has performed well in both roles.
For now, he is working hard at both positions, trying to hold his own and keep pace with his linemates.
“I’m definitely looking at it week by week, but I’m certainly happy with the way things are going,” Wisniewski said earlier this month. “I feel like I’m holding my own in there. As a rookie, your goal is not to play like a rookie, to have people watch the line and not be able to tell who the rookie is. I’m getting better. It’s certainly been a heck of a learning experience for me but I feel like I’m fitting in there well.”

VELDHEER PREFERS GOING SOLO
Left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer takes offense to the Raiders giving him help. That’s an admirable trait, Jackson said, but there are times when mixing up things is important in the overall scheme, whether Veldheer needs help or not.
“Sometimes, we’ve left him out there, sometimes we help, sometimes we chip, we do a little bit of it all, because you have to be multiple in pass protections,” Jackson said. “If you’re not, defensive coordinators are too good. They’ll find other ways to get those great pass rushers matched on people. He’s done a good job.”
Case in point, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen. He leads the league with 13 1/2 sacks in nine games. He has at least one-half of one sack in every game this season and is on pace to eclipse Michael Strahan’s single-season record (22 1/2).
Jackson said Allen is so good that the Raiders will take every precaution necessary to keep him at bay and out of the face of Palmer.
“He’s going to get special attention,” Jackson said. “He’s as good as there is in football. The guy has 13 ½ sacks, and it’s not by accident. He makes a lot of stuff happen. We know where he is, we know how he goes about it. He doesn’t make any magical things happen, he just goes and plays extremely hard. What we have to do is get him blocked.”

FOURTH-QUARTER DROUGHT
The Raiders last scored points of any kind in the fourth quarter when Chaz Schilens caught a touchdown pass from Jason Campbell and Sebastian Janikowski kicked a field goal.
That makes four straight games without any fourth-quarter points. Yet, the Raiders are 3-2 in those games, so Jackson isn’t overly concerned.
“I can’t put my finger on it,” Jackson said. “I just know it’s something I have to get fixed. I have to make sure that we find a way to get in this end zone in the fourth quarter. We haven’t. We have to do a better job.
“We’ve been down there but, for some reason, whether it’s turnovers or penalties or whatever it’s been, we haven’t been able to close it out with a score. We haven’t harped on it but I know that that’s true.”
For the record, the Raiders have scored 17 first-quarter points the past four games, 31 in the second quarter and 24 in the third.

RUSH THE KEY
Defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan isn’t kidding when he said the Raiders need to be successful against the run if they want to beat the Vikings.
And that has far more to do with the fact that Adrian Peterson is, perhaps, the league’s best running back. The stats bear out the fact, as well.
In Oakland’s five victories, they held the opposing teams to an average of 69.6 yards rushing (3.5-yard average) and allowed only one touchdown. In its four losses, Oakland’s defense allowed an average of 209.3 yards rushing (6.3-yard average) and eight touchdowns.
“Discipline, attention to detail,” Bresnahan said, “you take the example most recent with Denver and, when you play the option, it’s assignment football. When you miss an assignment, that play turns from a 2- or a 3-yard gain to a 12-, 20- or 30-yard gain, which is what happened to us.
“Attention to detail, discipline and, more so than ever before with these guys, you have to gang tackle, because this is an exceptional running back.”
Peterson has 846 yards rushing in nine games and is a matchup nightmare for most teams. Bresnahan is harping on gang-tackling this week.
Bresnahan said the Raiders are confident they can be successful against Peterson based on how well they fared against the Houston Texans Arian Foster.
“One guy can’t beat 11,” Bresnahan said, “but if you put one guy on him, you’re not going to win many times. So you’ve got to get hats to the ball. It’s a challenge. It’s a challenge go go out and play a back like this, but we look at it no different than getting to go up against Foster when we went down to Houston. This is a great challenge for the defense. and we’ll see where we’re at on Sunday.”

INJURIES UPDATE
Seven players missed all of practice Thursday, including wide receiver Jacoby Ford (foot), running back Darren McFadden (foot), defensive tackle Richard Seymour (ankle) and kicker Sebastian Janikowski (hamstring).
Jackson said he remains confident that Seymour will be able to play Sunday, even though Seymour hasn’t practiced all week. Janikowski also is expected to play against the Vikings.
“Keeping guys healthy down the stretch here is the key for our football team,” Jackson said. “We just got to stay as healthy as we can, we got to get guys to the game. That’s part of my job as the head coach is to make sure that we’re coaching as healthy a team as I can.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Method To My Madness Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:29 am
    1288.r8dercain Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:28 am
    B@uce wasup baby boy!!

This shouldn’t be a nail biter. Feel me?

************

Yeah we dont need that jcat schit this weekend….i plan not to drink Saturday so im not fked up watching this game….big time win is needed to show this team is ready to take next step cuz Dungver is right on our heels
    __________________
    man can u believe it. That’s some shcit. But all the raiders gotta do is TCB.
    An we stay in control. Denver still has the pats an bills to play. F’k horse teeth an his team. Raiders TCB on three. One,two,three!!!!

• inonewordraider

TCB

• LA to TheBay

TCB = take care of ball?

• Invest in Textiles!

Due to ESPN’s non stop ballwashing of Tim Tebow, a shortage of linen products is predicted. Stock prices of companies that produce, towels and washclothes are expected to go up. As they ramp up production to keep up with the shortage.—The Wall Street Journal.

• LA to TheBay

oh, business

• LA to TheBay

Hell yeah.

• DMAC

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    Hue Jackson jogs out of locker room sporting the black headband as part of his “Headband Friday” routine #Raiders @957thegame
    10 minutes ago

• DMAC

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    Denarius Moore still working as the primary punt returner. We’ll see if newly acquired Bryan McCann gets an opportunity at some pt #Raiders
    13 minutes ago

by CorkOnTheNFL
    FB Manase Tonga is back at practice today for the #Raiders
    15 minutes ago
    ======

There u go B.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

….it’s been awhile, waddup NATION.

I see big things for our speedsters in this game on the dome field (imagine how fast D.Moore and Taiwan Jones are gonna look on that turf)…..and Bush will have another big day, especially off the long rest (30+ carries again, book it)…….

Raiders 41
    Vikings 20

rack ’em

• DMAC

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    Michael Huff appears to be a spectator today watching w/ Chris Johnson. VanDyke, Mitchell, Giordano are on the field #Raiders @957thegame
    17 minutes ago

• raiderinparadise

K, the leats amount of points we held team to as 17 (twice) browns/chargers.

Our d is nothing special.
    BUT Carson Bomber is

37 to 27 RAIDERSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• DMAC

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    Richard Seymour also not practicing for the 4th consecutive time. Hue Jackson has maintained he will be fine for Sun. #Raiders @957thegame
    20 minutes ago

• raiderinparadise

Huff shouldn’t play.

He has too much pride.

He sucked vs Denver, half-speed jogging around.

Let him heal. Suit em up just in case.

• ElkGRaider

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    10 minutes ago
    ============================

LMAO…that would be hilarious…obviously
    ========

The black Shrek w/ a head band.
    LMAO

• I’ve been starting Moore all year in FF. Couple of weeks sucked but last week he got me 20.

• DMAC

DMAC Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:39 am

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    FB Manase Tonga is back at practice today for the #Raiders
    15 minutes ago
    ======

There u go B.
    ======

“Mustard and Manase!” (40 water)

• raiderinparadise

Can we imagine if Cable was still here?

Veldheer would be center
    Fargas would start over Bush when McFadden got hurt
    JLH would be our #1 WR
    Trevor Scott would be a OLB “were gonna stand him up this week”

lmao

ohhhhhhhhhhh I love Hue Jackson, i take back my bad comments hhaahha

• bcz24

Standin on the corner straight slangin rocks
    awwww sh1t here come the muthafvckin cops
    so I dashed I ducked and I hide behind a tree
    makin sure them muthafvckas dont see me…

RIP Eazy

Im a little late on that but I was gettin caught up and readin the BTH lyrics and had to jump in

• DMAC

exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:44 am

=======

Keep starting him. Seems to be CP’s fav. target.
    I think DHB has a nice game as well this Sunday though.

• Method To My Madness

1310.DMAC Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:39 am
    JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    FB Manase Tonga is back at practice today for the #Raiders
    15 minutes ago
    ======

There u go B.

**********

Pac Islanders will beat ya down…thats why I want them on my team

• Method To My Madness

1319.DMAC Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:44 am
    DMAC Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:39 am

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    by CorkOnTheNFL
    FB Manase Tonga is back at practice today for the #Raiders
    15 minutes ago
    ======

There u go B.
    ======

“Mustard and Manase!” (40 water)

**************

SLAPPARIFFIC

• PlunkforHOF

What up Raider fans and others!

Raiders 38
    Dykes 10

CODE BLACK remains in effect

• raiderinparadise

I still think DHB will be ignored. I see TJ getting 6-7 catches this week.

• DMAC

What up Plunk

• raiderinparadise

purple p3nis eaters

• PlunkforHOF

HEy DMAC….. Looking forward to the game Sun, gonna meet another blog fan… JLofty

• DMAC

raiderinparadise Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:50 am

I still think DHB will be ignored. I see TJ getting 6-7 catches this week.
    ======

Cedric Griffin has those bum knees. DHB might ball, if CP throws him the ball.

• picked up t.j. too.

• ElkGRaider

1326.raiderinparadise Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:50 am
    I still think DHB will be ignored. I see TJ getting 6-7 catches this week.

============================

Maybe CP didnt like all those hitch routes???

• PlunkforHOF

I’m seeing C3PO with 4 TD’s/ Bush 125yds 1 TD

• DMAC

PlunkforHOF Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:52 am

=====

Tell Loft, DMAC said what up
    I know u guys will represent The Raider Nation right!

• Method To My Madness

1325.PlunkforHOF Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:50 am
    What up Raider fans and others!

Raiders 38
    Dykes 10

CODE BLACK remains in effect

*********************

YES!…Alex7 said after we go 2-3 CODE BLACK would die……well has it?

• Dakota

When I was a kid my grandmother used to drag me to church, God rest her soul, but it would bother me that she really believed that if a person did not accept JC as their savior they were going to burn in hell. I was glad that she was comforted by her beliefs as she suffered through cancer, so I never argued with her about it.

But, as a child, I didn’t understand why our “God” would want 1 billion Chinese or 500 million people from India (correct numbers at the time) to burn in hell because they were born in cultures that either followed different religions, or were not allowed religion at all.

What kind of God would that be?

I believe in a higher power, this place is to cool to just be a random accident, but I don’t believe that innocent kids in the Amazonian jungle, or some deep African tribe, are going to burn in hell simply because they never heard of some dude named Jesus or some rag-head named Muhammad.

If God is like that then I don’t want to be near him once this ends anyhow.

• PlunkforHOF

CODE BLACK protocols are being fine tuned as we speak.

• LA to TheBay

exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:44 am

——-

Don’t do FF, but I have a complementary 32 coming my way for recommending to my boy (a Titan fan with little knowledge of Raiders) D. Moore as a last second replacement.

• Method To My Madness

1328.raiderinparadise Says:
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:51 am
    purple p3nis eaters

**************

LMAO u been killin lately mayne

• JR

NEWSFLASH:

Tebow takes over Raiders blog!

He has everybody talking about God!

????

• raiderinparadise

Fun Fact:

Jarred Allen’s favorite food in his redneck cookbook:

Pheasant Nuggets.

• raiderinparadise

Did you all see when John Elway stood up in his box clapping for tebow when he scored that go-ahead TD?

His Tebowner was a mile high.

• mcfadden20.

Killa kalli

• qodrn

THE RAIDER PREDICTION BOARD
    Dedicated to the legacy of Al Davis
    Protected by the rally squirrel and Coliseum rodents

2011 Raider Games

First: Ghostraider (exact score)
    Second: Sullivan44
    Third: Pretty Rick
    Fourth: Sullivan44
    Fifth: Fingers
    Sixth: Zymurge
    Honorable Mention: LA for PAIN
    Seventh: Noone…at all.
    Eighth: La Milicia Negra (exact score (sadly))
    Ninth: TheToozFan55 (exact score)

860Todd Christensen Q…Raiders 34……Minny 13
    ElkGRaider Oaktown 28 Michelle Bachmans 20
    exlaraiderseasonticketholder 27-24 Raiders
    fingers Raiders…35…….Minnys…27……
    GG Raiders 34 Vikings 24
    Jesus Raiders 27 vikings 17
    Just Fire Baby Raiders 27 Vikings 20
    Lowdown_in_Beijing Raiders 34 Vikings 7 (due to 3 PI penalties)
    mcfadden20 RAIDERS 34-13
    Method To My Madness Raiders 28 Vikings 17
    MiamiRaider78 Raiders 31 Vikings 21
    Neilb 17-13 Raiders.Defence on top.
    PlunkforHOF Raiders 38 Dykes 10
    Pretty Rick Raiders-31 Vikes-20
    r8eray 27-20 Raiders
    raiderinparadise 37 to 27 RAIDERSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 31 – Minnesota 17
    RaiderRockstar Oakland 14 Purple PeePee Eaters 13
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 31 – Minnesota 17.
    saladfingerz raids 24 vikes 17
    Silverandblack666 Raiders 31 Minn 13
    SilverAndBlackBleeder Raiders 41 Vikings 20
    Sullivan44 Raiders 31, Vikings 24.