Steve Wisniewski, coach Jackson on McGlockton’s passing

Working on an obituary story for the paper on the passing of former Raiders defensive tackle Chester McGlockton, so I won’t be able to post something off today’s practice proceedings and interviews until later this afternoon.
In the interim, here is what former Raiders All-Pro guard Steve Wisniewski and coach Hue Jackson had to say about McGlockton’s passing at the age of 42:

STEVE WISNIEWSKI

Q: How did the news hit you this morning?
A: “It’s just a tragic loss. Chester was a dear friend, a teammate, a neighbor, a golf buddy, we coached together at Stanford. For people who don’t know, he had such a big, big heart. He did a phenomenal job over at Stanford coaching. He was really kind of putting his life back on a new track in the coaching field and he was just fabulous at it. So, our whole heart, my heart and the heart of the Raiders family goes out to his wife Zina and his two young girls. It’s just really sad to see.”

Q: How do you reconcile a pro athlete, in such great shape, dying at such a young age?
A: “Yeah, I can’t guess at the cause of death for Chester, but he had lost a good bit of weight. We had done walks together, we played racquetball together quite a bit the last year, he was in very good shape for being a big man. It’s just an absolutely tragic loss to the whole Raiders family.”

Q: Did you see any signs of this coming on?
A: “No, absolutely not. I spoke to Chester yesterday, as a matter of fact. He had a great day with his girls and was looking forward to kind of a few slow weeks as Stanford prepares for a bowl (game), so he could have some more family time. Anybody who knows Chester, he loved his wife and girls to the moon. Again, I just can’t express how tragic it is lose someone like that at 42.”

Q: You lined up against him in practice, tell us just how talented he was?
A: “Yeah, there was no one in the NFL who could block Chester if he didn’t want to be blocked. He had that ability to be a dominant force like a Mean Joe Greene. He was as good as they come. We talked a lot about it. He matured in his years beyond football and looked back with a sense that he could have done more at times. He was hampered by injuries and contract issues. But when he wanted to play, no one could block him.”

Q: How was he off the field after football?
A: “I was just so proud of him because, here in these last few years, he really found something he enjoyed. He was really passionate about coaching. I used to even tease him, if the kids could have seen him back when he was a player, they would laugh because he was now chasing them up and down the field, screaming to ‘hustle,’ do extra and give their best effort. He was a phenomenal coach and a great man.”

COACH HUE JACKSON

“Before I start off talking about our football team and what we need to do I think I need to say a couple of words about Chester McGlockton.
Obviously we lost another great Raider today in my opinion. I got to know Chester myself personally since my time here. I’d like to give I’m sure from the team, the organization and myself, I’d like to give our blessings, our prayers, to his wife Zina and their two beautiful kids.
I got to know the young man in church at the Well where pastor Napoleon Kauffman is the pastor. This morning when I found out the news, it was tough, There’s some guys here on this staff that obviously played with him and there’s players here that know him but I think it kind of hit them pretty hard.
A young man who was just starting to do so many other great things in his life and then all of a sudden life is taken away. But obviously God has a bigger plan for him. One thing I do know about him was he was a god-fearing man who spent his time at church and with his family. We’re going to miss him. It’s tough. But that’s a part of this thing.
I talked to the team about it today. Just the opportunities you get in this life, you never know when it’s going to be over but those things happen He’ll always be in our thoughts and our prayers and we’ll miss him tremendously. Again, our thoughts go out to his family.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Seymour Bush

You guys still fighting? And Jamista finally melted down onto the ground? Oh well…..

Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly, happy soul….

• ghostraiders

Kk.. Albert bigelows sisters name is jarndyce…. look out for her.. she’s a tyranny just like sully..

• GoodOle00

44.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:09 pm
    I heard Sullivan is 6′ 4″ and weighs 275. You guys may not want to meat him.

==============

Translation: I’m also Sully RMR eat al and I’m scared

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

KoolKell Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:10 pm
    Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Kell, do you live in Alameda? My sister just moved there.
    ————————————–
    Yep.
    ———
    I visited a few weeks ago. It’s a nice area. I wish I could live there.

• ghostraiders

#53.. Lmao. .

• Seymour Bush

OK, so, you have a good fishy run defense, that does a very very good job of getting off the field on 3rd downs. That seems to be the formula for their recent success. I like their corners and their safeties, but I do not think they can match our speed. This is a situation where you can utilize the middle of the field with Boss and the backs, and keeping the safeties in place, and then trying to match up our speed on Sean Smith who is a big corner. I really like Smith and vontae Davis. Davis can run with our receivers. Smith will not be able to.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I visited a few weeks ago. It’s a nice area. I wish I could live there.
    ——————————————
    Mayberry by the bay. ;-)

• ghostraiders

Kk.. if sully moved there. .I don’t care how nice that place is…. people would start moving away just to avoid that fruitnut…

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Ghostraiders, shut up you pathetic twat. I’m not Sullivan.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah, but the Miami Pass Defense is not that good, #24.

• baumraiders

My god, i you don’t like MR don’t pay attention to him

• Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, but the Miami Pass Defense is not that good, #24.
    =========================================

That is what I am saying. Take care of Cameron Wake, keep their safeties in the middle of the field, and put the game in Palmers hands. And if you can get up on them, they won’t come back on our pass defense. We’re too good.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Baumraiders Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

My god, i you don’t like MR don’t pay attention to him
    —————————————–
    HELLO !?!?!?

• baumraiders

ABP is not MR, I don’t think he is. MR is posting under so many names here even some of those of you who don’t like him.

• baumraiders

Well, Palmer will have his best game of the season if Veldheer has a good game against C Wake

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

———————————————-
    Well, if they slow down Bush………and Matt Moore has a higher passer rating than Palmer.

• baumraiders

KoolKell Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:31 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

———————————————-
    ————————

Because of the game against the Chiefs

• raiderinparadise

good scouting report by everyone. Miami is a good team. hard matchup for us. We NEED the big plays this weekend to win. cough-cough Denarius Moore, since no other WR knows how to score TD’s from far out.

• baumraiders

It feels so good to have a good to great QB again

• Violent Hands

Hue is maturing into a fine HC

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Raider QB, no-huddle, check & change plays at the line of scrimmage like Palmer. He reminds me of Peyton Manning in that regard.

• silverback

I really like the fact that Hue kept pounding away at Bears even though they weren’t getting a lot per. I still have reservations about putting it all on Palmer, he not in perfect sync with all the injuries. I haven’t seem him be able to consistently throw to a spot. Hopefully in the weeks to come the receiver and the ball are in the same place at the same time.

• inonewordraider

_____________
    it’ll be tough if Moore and Ford don’t play plus didn’t Miami pick Romo twice? Secondary look good Thursday…

• http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com RaiderChaos

Whats up Raider Nation? Check this out….Dont miss this Spotlight on The Violator http://raiderchaos.blogspot.com/2011/11/time-to-get-violated-spotlight-on.html

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Miami is tough, and I’m on my broken-record routine saying this, but don’t forget the thrashing they gave us last year….our team will no doubt be focused for this game; even more so than the other’s this year, because payback is a way of life in the NFL. They humiliated us at home at a point in the season where we still had playoff hope. The time for the big Raider blow-out is now….

Rack ‘em

• inonewordraider

JoshDubowAP Josh Dubow
    by VittorioTafur
    @Raiders Lechler averaging 51.5 yds per punt, ahead of Sammy Baugh’s 1940 record of 51.4

• inonewordraider

By Steve Svekis

Sun Sentinel

5:11 p.m. EST, November 30, 2011
    Dolphins running game vs. Raiders run defense:Both Reggie Bush and rookie Daniel Thomas ran hard against the Cowboys, as the backs averaged 3.9 yards per run. In Thomas’ case, his 4.2 yards a carry was his highest since his NFL debut almost three months ago. If the Dolphins can get four yards per rush with both backs contributing, that should be more than enough to keep defenses honest and open up passing lanes. Last year, the Dolphins piled up 186 yards on the ground in their game against Oakland, by far their largest output of 2010. Things haven’t improved for the silver and black as their run defense has been a black hole this year, too, with an NFL-worst 5.3 yards allowed per carry on average. EDGE: Dolphins

Dolphins passing game vs. Raiders pass defense:Matt Moore had a bit more of a Jekyll-and-Hyde performance against Dallas (the miss of Charles Clay at the Dallas 5 was cringeworthy), but he has made himself a ton of money for the next contract he signs, piling up a cumulative 112.7 passer rating in the month of November as the Dolphins, 0-7 through Halloween, went 3-1. The one area not accounted for in passer rating is sacks, and Moore continues to take bad sacks after having plenty of time to unload a ball out of bounds. However, he has shown that he can make the NFL’s most difficult throws. Brandon Marshall’s 20.6-yard reception average against the Cowboys was his highest in over two years. EDGE: Dolphins

Raiders running game vs. Dolphins run defense:The Dolphins held emerging Dallas superstar DeMarco Murray to under four yards a carry on the ground, and in the past five games have yielded a sparkling per-rush average of 3.14 yards. Paul Soliai and company must be salivating at the thought of Oakland roling into town. Boasting the same primary backs as they do this season (Darren McFadden, Michael Bush and Marcel Reece), the Raiders’ backs ran 10 times and gained a single yard in late November last year. While Carson Palmer dictates more back-end respect for the Raider passing game, this matchup, especially with McFadden extremely questionable, is a good one for Mike Nolan’s crew. EDGE: Dolphins

Raiders passing game vs. Dolphins pass defense: If only Carson Palmer had been the Dallas quarterback. With the pass rush the Dolphins were applying on Thanksgiving, he would have been sacked at least a half-dozen times. Cameron Wake and Jason Taylor can be confident that Palmer will drop back seven steps and, decidedly unlike Tony Romo, not move from his spot. The key, though, is getting there as the 6-foot-5 gunslinger can still kill you with the deep ball to athletic wideouts such as Darrius Heyward-Bey and Louis Murphy. Sean Smith logged his second career interception last week. His first came against Palmer in Cincinnati last season. EDGE: Dolphins

——————————————————————————–
    Get the latest Miami Dolphins news, scores and analysis with the Sun Sentinel’s FREE iPhone and Android app. Download it today
    ——————————————————————————–

Dolphins special teams vs. Raiders special teams: The Raiders bring the league’s best kicker-punter duo into the game in Sebastian Janikowski and Shane Lechler. Last week against the Bears, Janikowski pounded through six field goals in the 25-20 Oakland victory, while Lechler piled up a net average of 49.2 yards against superstar Devin Hester and company, with one punt going 80 yards for a touchback. It’s no accident that this duo represents the entirety of the holdovers from Oakland’s 2002 AFC champion team. On the Dolphins’ side, Shayne Graham missed a 47-yard field goal attempt which loomed large in Arlington, but now Dan Carpenter is back. EDGE: Raiders

Intangibles:The gave away the store (two first-round picks) for Palmer, and since the bye week, the move has paid dividends, with Oakland on a three-game win streak and improbably on top of the AFC West, one game up on the Denver Tebows. The Dolphins, meanwhile, have scored more points than they have allowed, and, gulp, are on a two-game home win streak after ending a seven-game skid at Sun Life Stadium. EDGE: Dolphins

Prediction: Dolphins 33, Raiders 13

• mcfadden20.

Code black

• autopalm77

Badolezero…Little testy…Unlike you, I don’t need to resort to personal insults to make a point..I let your vomitious comment pass because I thought you were you were illiterate and couldn’t read my posts directed at scotty for the last 3 years…It’s another pathetic tactic to hide behind your keystroke anonymity and act like your a tough guy with your goodfellas line and totally another to do something about…You know nothing of athletic injuries or rehabilitation….Drown yourself in some more booze and maybe you’ll have and understanding…..By the way name the state and I’ll be there in 48 hours…

• autopalm77

Raiders replay at 8:00PM eastern time….NFLN….

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Autopalm77 Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 5:00 pm

By the way name the state and I’ll be there in 48 hours…
    ———————————————-
    Sounds just like another blog troll, I know. Lol.

Sooooooooo tough.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

RaiderChaos Says:
    November 30th, 2011 at 4:45 pm
    ———-
    Finally some quality content on your blog. Did you do the interview, or lift it from someone else?

• mcfadden20.

Who the heck is Steve svekis the guy must not know anything about footbAll

• ghostraiders

Baumraider.. who the hell are you.. bug mouth.. you idiot.. you don’t know MR. .. you foool… I can see your going to make friends quickly here.?? You jackass. .

• mcfadden20.

Seriously he picked dolphins to win 33-13 ?

• GoodOle00

77. What a Homer article.

• mcfadden20.

What’s up ghost? Excited about the NBA?

• GoodOle00

82. Sounds like a fan with a blog talkin to another fan is all. Violater is a great iconic fan. I really love SKULL LADY though. OMG, thats a beautiful woman and a heck of a fan!~

• daraider09

77. That post is Hilarious! Just throw objectivity out the window!

• inonewordraider

Reece the Beast

• mcfadden20.

Code black attack

• GoodOle00

Or as RNS puts it, Marcel Reece: The Most Dangerous Fullback in Football

• autopalm77

77….Steve Svekis writes for the Sun Sentinel which is a Miami-Ft Lauderdale paper…But when you live in a bottle you may not know it like some in here…..Thanks for the article inoneword at least your adding to the site….Appreciate it….

• autopalm77

Good Goldie, hope your well, working on a Christmas poem….You get first copy…..Have a nice evening…..

• GoodOle00

So, Woodsen or Del rio for DC next yr?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell