Expert’s take on McFadden’s injury, coach Jackson’s explanation

Raiders running back Darren McFadden has been out of action since he suffered a midfoot sprain Oct. 23. Fifty one days later, we’re nowhere closer to knowing the true severity of the injury or when he might return.
On Sunday, coach Hue Jackson first used the dreaded term Lisfranc injury when asked if McFadden’s injury is more severe than originally disclosed.
On Monday, Jackson said people can call it a midfoot sprain or a Lisfranc injury. Either way, he views it in the same light, he said, and that McFadden does not need surgery.
Rather than speculate, let’s call in ESPN injury analyst Stephania Bell for her take. If you don’t know of Ms. Bell or read her regular columns, you should make a point of doing so. She provides a detailed account of what injuries mean, what the standard procedure is for each injury and how long a player should miss, on average.
Here’s what Bell had to say Tuesday about McFadden’s injury:

“Things still don’t look good. The poor outlook noted at the start of last week has become grimmer as another week has passed with no obvious signs of progress from McFadden. If anything, there is less clarity about McFadden’s injury than ever. On Sunday, CBS analyst Phil Simms commented that McFadden was dealing with a Lisfranc injury. Steve Corkran of the Contra Costa Times best captures the semantics issue around the term “Lisfranc” and coach Hue Jackson’s response as it relates to McFadden in his Monday post on the topic.

In an attempt to interpret the cause of the confusion, it should be noted that the term Lisfranc is an anatomical description of a region of the foot, specifically a complex joint comprising the bones and ligaments that connect the midfoot to the forefoot. An injury in this area could technically be called a midfoot sprain or a Lisfranc injury, and both would be correct. Injuries range from minor ligament tearing involving a single joint to multijoint severe injuries including fracture and dislocation. The latter type require surgery to fix; the former do not.

As Lisfranc injuries have become more common in the NFL and have led to season-ending surgeries for some (Ronnie Brown, Dwight Freeney and most recently Matt Schaub), when the term is used, the implication is that the athlete has suffered the most severe, season-ending variety. That degree of injury does not always result. Since the Raiders insist McFadden does not need surgery, it would appear that his injury is of the less severe type and that, perhaps, is why the term “Lisfranc” was avoided. For any injury to the midfoot, it is important that full healing occur in order to restore normal gait and prevent future problems, which can render the recovery process slow. In McFadden’s case, his recovery appears to be taking longer than the Raiders initially projected it would, adding to the frustration of all looking from the outside in. At this point, despite Jackson’s statement that he expects McFadden to return, it’s hard to imagine a full-strength McFadden resurfacing within the next three weeks.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• DMAC

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:48 am

244.MistaBrown Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:45 am
    lol @ white devil
    A sista called me that once, of course that was after I already hit

*************

you mean after the klan gang raped her?
    =======

OUCH!

• Method To My Madness

240.YoungAmerican Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:43 am
    lol who gonna want him?

—————–

Redskins. They’d likely take Seymour and maybe even McClain, too. How could Dan Snyder resist?

All the Raiders have to do then is ship Tommy Kelly out of town and they have some money to work with again.

****************

deadskins may be that dumb..i agree….kelly is a failure..i backed him until after the 09 season

• Jon Condo

Coach has some new stuff for us this weekend Nation. Look for a double reverse off a long snap to catch them off guard!

• Chris in NY

Gerard Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 7:37 am
    Miami, Denver, Chicago, and NE (did Buffalo do it too?) all had one thing in common that all of those teams used against Raiders; it’s that 10 yd. slant crossing over the middle pass to a WR who runs it in for a TD. Same exact play all those teams used to score on us. It’s the one Tebow threw to Erik Decker.

Question I have is who’s responsibility is that to stop?

——————————–

Somebody different every time, I believe. Against Miami I believe it was Curry. Against Buffalo it was McClain. Against Denver it may have been Huff. Don’t remember Chicago and NE. Routt may have given up one of those as well. Not an easy play to defend (without drawing a flag) if executed well by the offense. Especially when it’s a LB on a WR.

• LA to TheBay

yeah or a brew…either one works

——–

or both.

• DMAC

Don’t get me started w/ fat azz Kelly!

Oh Rick Ross wannabe looking muthafka!

• DMAC

That oh, I can’t stuff the run, but I can stuff a super burrito azz n***a!

• joetoronto

We should start Kyle Boller at WR and really throw them for a loop.

• VanHeathen

Nation!
    What time’s practice today?
    Gotta see who turned out for practice…

• Jon Condo

Do you guys think anyone else will make the pro bowl besides me ? Shane and Jan have a good chance thanks to these awesome long snaps 🙂

• VanHeathen

Does Boller even have a helmet?
    Dude makes a living modeling Raider Lids onthe sideline….

• DMAC

VanHeathen Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:56 am

Nation!
    What time’s practice today?
    Gotta see who turned out for practice…
    =========

I think ten-elevenish

• joetoronto

You da man, Jon, only you.

So Detroit stinks at running the ball, do you think the Raiders can keep them under 150 yds on the ground?

***

STUFF THE RUN = WIN THE GAME.

Darrius will have a bigger day receiving than Calvin

• bcz24

Tim Tebow is the most talked about White Bronco since OJ…

• luvmarvhub

“Hue said all along it was a high ankle sprain,”

He absolutely did NOT say “it was a high ankle sprain.” He reported the truth: “a mid-foot sprain.”

Any googling on the net (which many posters here DID and many did NOT) revealed the basics that concern us here: that 1) a level one mid-foot sprain is so termed because it does not involve “instability” and that a level 1 normally causes the average person to be out of commission for approx 1-2 weeks if he has a desk job 2) a level one mid-foot sprain for an athlete is a different matter and can hold back that athlete from performing for much longer, may be as little as 2-3 weeks, but more likely longer (4-8+weeks), depending on the healing and depending on the particular athletic task required of him 3) that the diagnosis of the both the severity of a mid-foot sprain and of healing time is often quite difficult, with the patient’s progress needing to be closely monitored, day to day, and the diagnosis often modified depending on rehab performance

They call it “practicing medicine” for a reason, people. No matter the ailment, it’s impossible for even for most high-tech modern tests to let a doctor see everything as if he had actually opened up the foot and taken a look through surgery. Any doctor will tell you that practicing medicine involves using established protocols that use the diagnostic tools available, but that those tools cannot provide 100% accuracy for 100% of patients. That is why they follow the protocols and do frequent reassessment.

Translation: there’s a lot of educated “guesswork”

No one’s been lying.

• DMAC

JoshDubowAP Josh Dubow
    by JDJohnDickinson
    According to STATS: #Raiders and #Lions are tied for most personal fouls in NFL this season with 27. #Cardinals next at 21
    ==========

This one could get ugly. I can see somebody getting ejecting for this one.

• Silverandblack666

Its going to be interesting to see if this game sells out.

• Chris in NY

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:49 am
    240.YoungAmerican Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:43 am
    lol who gonna want him?

—————–

****************

———————————–

Kelly’s actually been really good, IMO, the last two seasons. 7 sacks last year. Leading the team with 7 already this year. That’s alot for a DT. In fact, he’s tied for most sacks by a DT in the NFL right now for this season.

Seymour is one behind at 6, although almost all of those came in the beginning of the season. I think Seymour is banged up and it’s really affected his play the last 5 or 6 weeks.

What about the run D? Is the logical response to that. Fair point, but I don’t necessarily blame that on the DTs. The Raiders are weird. They’ll stone a RB for a loss, 1 yard, 3 yards, etc. and then they’ll break off a 50+ yard run. I think the run D issues have everything to do with discipline and scheme and very little to do with the DTs getting pushed around.

• DMAC

Silverandblack666 Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Its going to be interesting to see if this game sells out.
    ======
    Got the 2 for 1 for this game.
    I think it sells out w/out a doubt.

• aig-raiders

——————–
    No the Raiders will help cure whatever ill they have. LT used to struggle and then uses Oakland to fix his running game. GB couldnt run until they ran right past us. I fear we will help whatever Detroit’s ill is and cure it. I would love a win but that has been our trademark the past 8 yrs.

• The Big Banana

McFragile looks to be done. Get this man some vegetables and milk.

And the way this team has looked the past couple of weeks, I’m sort of glad they won’t make the playoffs. Why embarrass yourselves?

It’s all been a mirage anyway. When you really look at it, this team just isn’t ready to turn the corner. On pace to break the record for penalties. They look awful when they lose, getting absolutely blown out. And when they win, they seem to just barely escape. Nope, not ready. Just stay home and save the embarrassment.

Bet you can’t tell I’m fresh out of koolaid. Lol

• raiderinparadise

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:41 am
    hwnrdr….sunday…let’s bring energy tothe place and help get this W…Code black!

*******

you guys are lucky

• aig-raiders

230.joker94583 Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:37 am
    I’m freaking sick of reading about McFragile and that he has or doesn’t have foot wise. Bottom line is he is probably done for the year playoffs or not. I’d trade him in the offseason he is soft. Too many missed games and injuries. He’s a liability. Maybe the Raiders can get a stud player on D for him. Or maybe some draft picks!
    ——————-
    The only team that would give us something decent for him……Jerry Jones and the Cowgirls. Jerry loved DMAC.

• Method To My Madness

256.DMAC Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 10:51 am
    Don’t get me started w/ fat azz Kelly!

Oh Rick Ross wannabe looking muthafka!

***************

ROZAAAAAAAAAAY!

• Method To My Madness
  • bcz24

This one could get ugly. I can see somebody getting ejecting for this one.
    *****************
    I set the over/under on penalties in this game at 27, with at least 1 ejection. Sadly, I am betting the over.

• VanHeathen

Looks like we’e gona see Kevin Smith int he backfield Sunday…avg 6.9yds a carry & 9.2 yds a catch.

this D Unit has GOT to step their game up, period!

• DMAC

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is Tommy Kelly
    ========

I can’t even watch it B

• bcz24

********************
    Not with Felix Jones and Demarco Murray on the roster.

• silverback

All this team needs is a spark, catch a break here and there, beat Detroit and then its of to the races.

• HueKnows

Why would you trade DMC if this team can’t seem to win without him?
    Seems like people are putting the loses on him because he is hurt.
    Better to have a beast for part of the season than nothing at all?

• silverback

off

• joetoronto

Speaking of part time players, I miss Bo.

• SaintKaufman

Am I missing something or should this be titled, “I still have no new information about McFadden’s injury and here is a comment from someone who also doesn’t know but mentioned me by name”.

• VanHeathen

Funny Saint…
    that report from Bell was presented in pretty much the same way when EMac was originally hurt…
    maybe the name drop got Corks attention.

Just WIN!

• Method To My Madness

279.DMAC Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:08 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is Tommy Kelly
    ========

I can’t even watch it B
    ****************

aw wish u could…hilarious schit

• Method To My Madness

284.joetoronto Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:11 am
    Speaking of part time players, I miss Bo.

*******************

How about Ethan Horton or Rod Fredickson?

• The Big Banana

I’d keep the part-timer, but pay him accordingly. No way I pay top dollar for a guy that only plays 50-75% of the year. Problem is, there will always be a desperate team ready to pay in hopes that he’ll be healthy for the first time in his career. And knowing our luck, he would.

• Method To My Madness

278.VanHeathen Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:08 am

this D Unit has GOT to step their game up, period!

*******************

Yeah dont want him one on one with huff or giordano…its to the hut then

• Silverandblack666

DMAC done for the year is now becoming a reality….He has one more year left on his contract the good news is next year being a contact year for him so he will have to show what he is worth.

I would guess that will be his bets year yet.

• The Big Banana

#285, lol!

• Jon Condo

Darren will be back this season Nation don’t worry. Even at 75% he can compete at a pro bowl type level just like myself.

• Method To My Madness

293.Jon Condo Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:17 am

************

Wish Bo was here to roast you

• Method To My Madness

291.Silverandblack666 Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:15 am

I would guess that will be his bets year yet.

***********

Sad its come to this….Hue wasnt forthright with this or our team medical guys suck majorly

• DMAC

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:14 am

279.DMAC Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:08 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:06 am

This is Tommy Kelly
    ========

I can’t even watch it B
    ****************

aw wish u could…hilarious schit
    =======
    I take that back.
    For some reason it worked.
    Oh, doughnut eatin muthafka!
    lol

• DMAC

JDJohnDickinson John Dickinson
    Denarius Moore has returned to #Raiders practice @957thegame
    1 minute ago

• Silverandblack666

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Moore at practice! No Ford or McFadden
    1 minute ago

This will help!!

• VanHeathen

“I’m getting dough,
    and i’m a NUT!”…

Thanks Guys, i needed that today…

Best was the Ricky face on the sidewalk made out of doughnuts…

• YoungAmerican

HueKnows Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 11:10 am

Why would you trade DMC if this team can’t seem to win without him?
    Seems like people are putting the loses on him because he is hurt.
    Better to have a beast for part of the season than nothing at all?

————

Better to have a guy who can contribute when the season is on the line. For three seasons, McFadden has not been that guy. Even when he’s in, he’s not unstoppable. So why not get some draft picks for him, and use those draft picks to A) build up other parts of the team that desperately need new talent, and B) get another running back or two who, while they might not be as dynamic as McFadden, can spell Bush and are more likely to be healthy when the Raiders need them to be?

A part-time playmaker helps teams that are already good. The Raiders are not already good. A running back who plays six games every season is a luxury that a team with this many holes cannot afford.

The Raiders need adequate depth so when injuries happen, they’re not forced to start a WR who can only run comeback routes, or a guy recently signed from the UFL, Kyle Boller (and then be forced to overpay so they can have a QB who gives them an actual chance to compete), etc.. The way it is right now, there are no playmakers on this team. So it’s time to shed some salary, build up in the offseason, and come back stronger.

McFadden isn’t the only player who needs to be moved. McClain isn’t a good fit for the Raider defense. Tommy Kelly is aging and overpaid, and although he’s the product of a system that asks both interior linemen to rush the passer, he still isn’t anything special without Richard Seymour next to him. And then there’s Richard Seymour, who has clearly checked out in spite of the $7.5 million he’s making. Guy is a solid player, but again – aging. And it’s nice to have “solid” players, but it’s better to have a guy that can make plays when the team needs them. None of these guys have showed they’re capable of that in spite of their massive salaries.