Raiders coaches, players confident as Lions game nears

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, December 15th, 2011 at 3:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Coach Hue Jackson says his troops will play with reckless abandon Sunday against the Detroit Lions. Defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan is encouraged by a return of the kind of effort he witnessed during the Raiders three-game win streak. The players say they are poised to finish strong.
We won’t know until Sunday whether all the talk means much. However, everyone at the team’s year-round facility in Alameda is of the belief that the Raiders won’t suffer a hangover from their two-game losing streak and that something special is about to happen.
“There’s no thought of that,” Jackson said, when asked about the prospect of his players being too tight. “Our thought is, we’re going to go out there and play as well as we can and we’re going to let everything else fall where it may. At the end of the day, everything is going to take care of itself, other than our effort, how hard we play, our focus, our attention to detail and how we go about our business.”
As evidence, Bresnahan points to a “rejuvenated effort” in practice and the meetings, akin to what he recalls seeing three weeks ago, when the Raiders were riding high, at 7-4 and in first place in the AFC West.
The key, Bresnahan said, is getting that kind of effort and focus every week.
“It’s exactly like it was three weeks ago,” Bresnahan said. “But you got to be able to do that all the time.”
The Raiders realize, to a man, that time is running out and their best shot at making the playoffs is to block out distractions, win their remaining three games and hope that’s enough to earn the division title or one of two wild-card berths.
A sold-out crowd will be at the Coliseum to do its part, the seventh in as many games this season. That in itself, Jackson said, should make a difference.
“Oh, my God, that’s going to be a huge boost,” Jackson said. “We’ve been on the road, with angry people screaming at us, yelling at us for the last couple of weeks and giving it to us. We’ve had to take it. Now we’re at home and our crowd will be there for us, and they’ll be there yelling and screaming for us and we’ve got to give them something to yell and scream for.”

SEYMOUR IN A SLUMP
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour recorded one tackle — a sack — in Oakland’s past five games. Bresnahan likens it to a baseball team’s best hitter being in a slump.
Yet, neither Bresnahan nor Jackson is worried about Seymour’s lack of production of late.
“Richard is a professional and the one thing that you judge Richard on is the high standard that he set for himself throughout his career,” Bresnahan said. “He’s a professional and he’ll respond. I’m not down on Richard one bit. He’s going to step up and have a heck of a game this week.”
Bresnahan was quick to point out that the entire defense is accountable for the subpar play, the past two games, in particular.
Seymour suffered a knee injury against the Houston Texans in the fifth game. He has missed more practices in recent weeks than he has attended while dealing with the knee and other nagging injuries. He had five sacks his first eight games.
“It’s just been tough for me just because I haven’t been able to practice much,” Seymour said. “It’s just tough pushing through injuries. Earlier in the year, I felt good, it was going … I don’t know what game it was … then I was just battling through practices and just trying to manage it going through games.”
Things got so bad that Seymour didn’t even participate in pre-game warm-ups in Minnesota before the Vikings game, yet he played some that game.
Seymour has made it through both practices this week. He said his knee is getting better and that he is hopeful of getting back to full strength.
“Your health is very important, especially when you are playing on the inside,” Seymour said. “You got to be able to fight off guys and be explosive, and I haven’t had that the last couple of weeks. But, I am getting better.”
Jackson and Seymour had a little chat in recent days. Jackson walked away from the confab confident that Seymour is in the proper frame of mind for the stretch run.
“Richard’s fine,” Jackson said. “He’ll be fine. Me and Richard had a great conversation, and I feel very comfortable with him and where he is. Richard’s a pro.
“I know when you say that, the thought is he needs to step his game up. Richard would be the first to tell you, he knows what he needs to do, and I do, too. We’ll get it done, and it’s crunch time now, it’s time to play. Not that it wasn’t before, but we know what it is now. So, let’s go.”

INJURIES UPDATE
Jackson said it would be “tough” for players such as running backs Darren McFadden and Taiwan Jones, wide receiver Jacoby Ford, defensive tackle John Henderson and free safety Michael Huff to play Sunday if they aren’t able to practice this week.
Given that, those players have one more shot to practice before the Raiders shut it down the rest of the week. The Raiders practice Friday, with a brief walk-through Saturday.
“I like to put guys out there who have practiced,” Jackson said, “unless I know definitely what’s going on, whether it’s medical or emotional or whatever that is.”
The emotional part is in regard to cornerback Chris Johnson, who still is dealing with the recent death of his sister Jennifer and the wounding of his mother.
Johnson has not practiced this week, and he has not rejoined his teammates since traveling to Texas for his sister’s funeral. He is expected back in town later today.

NO MORE PADS
The Raiders reached their allotment of padded practices last week, Jackson said. Therefore, they are practicing this week without pads, just as they will the next two weeks.
“There’s no more of those and that’s the way the league is,” Jackson said. “I respect that. We’re not going to break any rules. We’re going to do it right but, boy, I’d sure like to have ‘em on.”
The new guidelines as put forth in the collective bargaining agreement stipulates that teams are not allowed to conduct more than 14 padded practices during the regular season, as a means of preventing players from getting too worn down throughout the course of the season.
Jackson said he and his coaches have had to change the way they conduct practices to they are in accordance with the new rule.
“You have to adjust to it because there’s times when you need pads to sharpen certain things and sharpen fundamentals,” Jackson said. “You have to say, ‘OK, you can’t do it this way,’ but that’s OK. The emphasis is still the safety of the player, to make sure they haven’t been worn down, or grounded down, as a lot of people think they’ve been in the past.”

HOUSTON, WE NEED MORE FLASH
Jackson likes what he has seen from defensive end Lamarr Houston this season. Still, he said, there’s room for improvement from the second-year player.
“He’s done some really good things,” Jackson said. “He plays consistent, plays really hard. Obviously, you want to see more flash because he has that kind of ability, but he’s been very consistent and solid for our football team. I’m looking forward to him coming on these last three weeks and playing really well.”
Houston has only one sack in 13 games. Yet, he has played well against the run in most games and applied pressure on the quarterback on a consistent basis.
Bresnahan lumped Houston and middle linebacker Rolando McClain into the same category, young players finding their way in the NFL and growing on the job.
“They’ll probably tell you, they’re not where the want to be as of yet,” Bresnahan said, “but they approach it like professionals and, again, is it anywhere perfect yet? No. But that’s as a unit as well. But they’ve come into their own a little bit. They’ve grown.
“The maturity level with the way they prepare, the way they practice, again, it’s an ongoing (process). I’ve seen them mature throughout the season since I’ve been here. So it’s a work in progress, but it’s going in the right direction.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

666,
    When did your father stop beating you? How about your sister? Which was more embarrassing? Did you ever get tingly feelings while being beat, and had the overwhelming desire to get a mani-ped?

• aig-raiders

And how many gunslingers have won Super Bowls the last 20-30 years? Brett Favre is the only one I can think of.
    ————

Brees won. Rodgers won. Ben won. Recent enough?

Please dont tell me those guys are not gun slingers. Rodgers was a sack machine waiting to happen 2 yrs ago because he kept hanging on to the ball trying to make a play. Both Drew and Big Ben had 23 ints in a season at one point in their careers.

• Method To My Madness

RaidingTexas<————on point like Stacy Adams

• Silverandblack666

“Sorry analogy.”

That’s because you are a sorry human being that has failed as a script writer and now you have only your incestuous fantasies to keep you from your suicidal tenancies.

• aig-raiders

After reading about Hue’s fingernails, I long for the days of a spitting Cowher.

• SillySavage

Seymour got his ring with NE.
    Seymour told the world he did not want to come to Oakland.
    Seymour is playing like someone who does not want to be here, and is just happy to go to the bank every Monday.
    Randy Moss anyone?

• Just Fire Baby

Call me crazy, but I’d prefer my coach fly in fat hookers on road trips than get a mani/pedi and dish on the latest gossip.

That just may be me though.

• Silverandblack666

“Sentence for Bonds: 30 days house arrest, 250 hrs community service with youth groups, $4,000 fine, $100 more, 2 yrs probation. #bondstrial”

Yeah that’s how I want my federal dollars spent trying to convict a guy that we all knew did steroids.

Where are the missing children you lackey law enforcement dolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Method To My Madness

591.DMAC Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:02 pm
    Sullivan44 Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

DMAC,
    Your funny feelings should be confined to what your left hand provides. All your other funny feelings were famous flops.
    ========

Didn’t I tell you to keep my name out your fk’n filthy mouth!

STFU and go for seconds w/ your cousin punk B!tch!!

*****************

As J-Stalin said….”Get ya ass away from me…I aint tryin to catch a btch ngga disease”

• aig-raiders

JFB, just in time bro. I knew you’d have a field day with this stuff on Hue.

• Silverandblack666

JFB LMFAO good one!

• raiderinparadise

SillySavage Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:12 pm
    Seymour got his ring with NE.
    Seymour told the world he did not want to come to Oakland.
    Randy Moss anyone?
    ————–

No Way he paid and flew the whole team to workouts during lockout and rented all silver and black SUVs for them. He is happy to be a raider. His play is just diminishing.

Playoff seasons and SB seasons are extra mileage people forget about that he endured.

• Silverandblack666

Law enforcement in America makes me sick!

They spend billions of dollars chopping down pot plants and telling sports leagues how to test for HGH but they cant do the one thing we actually need them to do…. protect children!

• SillySavage

5 million spent to prosecute Bonds. Wonderfl use of our tax $

• raiderinparadise

JUST POLISH BABY!

• Just Fire Baby

Go Barry Bonds!!!

Next stop….Cooperstown

• SillySavage

Seymours play is diminishing because he desire is ddiminishing. Yeah, he flew guys out. He just forgot to put in the effort they put in. Look how many times he takes off during week? Almost every week he’s out for a day or two, then shows up game day, not as in good a shape or ready to play as he shold be.

• Just Fire Baby

I bet Hue watches Basketball Wives.

Hue = all sizzle no steak

Some damn good sizzle though sometimes, but the substance and backbone seem to be lacking.

• SillySavage

Silverandblack666 Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Law enforcement in America makes me sick!

*************************************
    All the $ in the world won’t protect from single perv’s.

• Silverandblack666

Hue loves him some Hue!!

No other explanation for letting someone see you get a manicure knowing they will write an article about it.

• aig-raiders

Last 9 SB winning QB’s are all throwers. None of them are check off artists. And here are the worst int seasons for them.

Rodgers (13), Brees (23), Ben (23), E. Manning (25), Manning (23), and Brady (14)

4 out of 6 guys threw more than 20 ints in one season.

• Silverandblack666

“All the $ in the world won’t protect from single perv’s.”

I see where you are going with this but my point is that they have gone from protect and serve to revenue generators for the state and local government.

• DMAC

SillySavage Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Silverandblack666 Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Law enforcement in America makes me sick!

*************************************
    All the $ in the world won’t protect from single perv’s.
    ======

We need to protect out 1st cousins.

MR is a predator that likes to fk family members.

PUUUUUUUUUKE! (I’m disgusted)

• raiderinparadise

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue after getting needled about pedicure photo: “Wooooooow. If it’s not you guys, it’s the players. I have taken it today, I have taken it.”
    1 minute ago

———

He was the cather today.

• DMAC

*HIS OWN family members

• DMAC

I’m gone!

Go A’s!!
    Go Dubs!
    Go Cal Bears!
    Go Raiders!

See ya’ll at the game.

CODE CONDO SUCKAS!

• HairyBush

—————-
    Good call, It probaly almost equates to a whole extra season played.

• aig-raiders

Silverandblack666 Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hue loves him some Hue!!

—————
    I fear he is not as bright as he convinced me earlier this year.

• Silverandblack666

“VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Cornerback Chris Johnson also out for Sunday
    1 minute ago”

• Silverandblack666

DMAC 623 LMAO good one!

• SillySavage

Al is cringing, as we speak

• Method To My Madness

• Just Fire Baby

D-Moore back this week is huge for our offense.

I like Chaz, but he doesn’t pick up big chunks of yards like Moore can.

• HairyBush

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:35 pm

————————-
    Oh great, And we thought we saw personal fouls before the roid rage lol

• ddwight

aig-raiders Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

4 out of 6 guys threw more than 20 ints in one season.

• Silverandblack666

“Seymour is close to being finished….shoot him up with roids for this last hurrah”

Not a bad idea really.

This will rank up on Hue’s Top 5 Embarrassing Moments with the Raiders

***

are you sure?

Week 2 – loss to the Bills
    Week 4 – loss to the Patriots (understandable – but couldn’t stuff the run. Raiders were the “finesse” team that day. thanks Rolando)
    Week 7 – loss to the Cheifs (28-0 at home)
    Week 9 – loss to the Broncos (Tebow puts up 38 pts @ Oakland)
    Week 13 – loss to the Dolphins (Miami puts up 34 pts in a game between losses to Dallas & Philly)
    Week 14 – loss to Green Bay (understandable – but 46 points allowed on D & 5 turnovers by the O?)

to be continued ???

• Silverandblack666

“aig-raiders Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

4 out of 6 guys threw more than 20 ints in one season.

The problem is that Palmer has not had a great year sense he blew out that knee…I dont know, does he have the same fastball and accuracy sense that knee injury against the steelers? These other guys that you are mentioning have come back to have great seasons…thats the intangible you miss.”

The guy is trying to be positive about Palmer in spite of the fact that he has not been playing well and I get that.

I get that because we are stuck with him he is not going anywhere so stay positive and trust that Hue can get this thing turned around.

• aig-raiders

——–
    I’m not disagreeing with you. The jury is out on Palmer and 2012 is his make or break year. 2011 is a bonus if he gets it done imo.

My point is that gunslingers will throw ints and their numbers will go up in a year when their team is struggling. I think people shouldnt be surprised that ints happen with gunslingers. It’s part of the package. I like CP but I dont have any grand illusions that he will not throw ints. The key is keeping those numbers down to a more acceptable level.

the Raiders have been outscored a combined 103-73 at their last 4 home games to teams like the Browns, Cheifs, Broncos & Bears (without Cutler) … yikes!

2-2 W/L record

Darrius Heyward-Bey:

first 25 NFL starts (2009 & 2010) = 35 catches for 490 yards & 2 TD’s

11 starts in 2011 = 43 catches for 620 yards & 2 TD’s

#1 WR

• Raider-in-PA

Not a bad idea really.
    ——————————
    Throw Goethel in that mix too… dude needs some beef to be a stud MLB… which we could seriously use!!

Better bodies thru chemistry… Build the BULLY!!

DHB only needs 127 rec yards per game in the next 3 games to get his first 1,000 season!

• raiderinparadise

If OAKLAND doesnt get early stops and scores, this won’t be a win.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

WHAT WAS THE SPECIAL-TEAMERS NAME THAT WAS BUSTED 4 JUICING A FEW YEARS AGO..COOPER?

• ddwight

638. I understand the positive twist and all, but lets also be realists, we hope that he will do well these last couple of games because if he doesnt we dont make the playoffs…and Im going to have some long sundays & mondays…but lets say he doesnt do well, I say we have nothing to lose in during that time we dont make it that hue should see what Pryor has…nothing to lose at that point, In fact hue should have him 2nd on the depth chart at this point, because Boller aint cuttin it!

Dirt Lot:

trade pop pop McClain for Jarrod Cooper!

• raiderinparadise

VittorioTafur Vittorio Tafur
    Hue: “We’re due to play extremely well for four quarters”
    15 minutes ago

————-

riiiiiiiiight. it just happens. the football gods will help you Hue? wtf. you have to earn 4 quarters, not be “due” for it

***

to be fair, Boller has started one football game this entire year and only played in half of it.

Hard to blame this guy for the way our season has played out!

• Raider-in-PA

I’m looking for an Oakland ‘W’ on Sunday. But if we are somehow eliminated this week… I’m all for starting Pryor for the last 2 games.. Terrelle, not Richard…