Raiders coaches, players confident as Lions game nears

Coach Hue Jackson says his troops will play with reckless abandon Sunday against the Detroit Lions. Defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan is encouraged by a return of the kind of effort he witnessed during the Raiders three-game win streak. The players say they are poised to finish strong.
We won’t know until Sunday whether all the talk means much. However, everyone at the team’s year-round facility in Alameda is of the belief that the Raiders won’t suffer a hangover from their two-game losing streak and that something special is about to happen.
“There’s no thought of that,” Jackson said, when asked about the prospect of his players being too tight. “Our thought is, we’re going to go out there and play as well as we can and we’re going to let everything else fall where it may. At the end of the day, everything is going to take care of itself, other than our effort, how hard we play, our focus, our attention to detail and how we go about our business.”
As evidence, Bresnahan points to a “rejuvenated effort” in practice and the meetings, akin to what he recalls seeing three weeks ago, when the Raiders were riding high, at 7-4 and in first place in the AFC West.
The key, Bresnahan said, is getting that kind of effort and focus every week.
“It’s exactly like it was three weeks ago,” Bresnahan said. “But you got to be able to do that all the time.”
The Raiders realize, to a man, that time is running out and their best shot at making the playoffs is to block out distractions, win their remaining three games and hope that’s enough to earn the division title or one of two wild-card berths.
A sold-out crowd will be at the Coliseum to do its part, the seventh in as many games this season. That in itself, Jackson said, should make a difference.
“Oh, my God, that’s going to be a huge boost,” Jackson said. “We’ve been on the road, with angry people screaming at us, yelling at us for the last couple of weeks and giving it to us. We’ve had to take it. Now we’re at home and our crowd will be there for us, and they’ll be there yelling and screaming for us and we’ve got to give them something to yell and scream for.”

SEYMOUR IN A SLUMP
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour recorded one tackle — a sack — in Oakland’s past five games. Bresnahan likens it to a baseball team’s best hitter being in a slump.
Yet, neither Bresnahan nor Jackson is worried about Seymour’s lack of production of late.
“Richard is a professional and the one thing that you judge Richard on is the high standard that he set for himself throughout his career,” Bresnahan said. “He’s a professional and he’ll respond. I’m not down on Richard one bit. He’s going to step up and have a heck of a game this week.”
Bresnahan was quick to point out that the entire defense is accountable for the subpar play, the past two games, in particular.
Seymour suffered a knee injury against the Houston Texans in the fifth game. He has missed more practices in recent weeks than he has attended while dealing with the knee and other nagging injuries. He had five sacks his first eight games.
“It’s just been tough for me just because I haven’t been able to practice much,” Seymour said. “It’s just tough pushing through injuries. Earlier in the year, I felt good, it was going … I don’t know what game it was … then I was just battling through practices and just trying to manage it going through games.”
Things got so bad that Seymour didn’t even participate in pre-game warm-ups in Minnesota before the Vikings game, yet he played some that game.
Seymour has made it through both practices this week. He said his knee is getting better and that he is hopeful of getting back to full strength.
“Your health is very important, especially when you are playing on the inside,” Seymour said. “You got to be able to fight off guys and be explosive, and I haven’t had that the last couple of weeks. But, I am getting better.”
Jackson and Seymour had a little chat in recent days. Jackson walked away from the confab confident that Seymour is in the proper frame of mind for the stretch run.
“Richard’s fine,” Jackson said. “He’ll be fine. Me and Richard had a great conversation, and I feel very comfortable with him and where he is. Richard’s a pro.
“I know when you say that, the thought is he needs to step his game up. Richard would be the first to tell you, he knows what he needs to do, and I do, too. We’ll get it done, and it’s crunch time now, it’s time to play. Not that it wasn’t before, but we know what it is now. So, let’s go.”

INJURIES UPDATE
Jackson said it would be “tough” for players such as running backs Darren McFadden and Taiwan Jones, wide receiver Jacoby Ford, defensive tackle John Henderson and free safety Michael Huff to play Sunday if they aren’t able to practice this week.
Given that, those players have one more shot to practice before the Raiders shut it down the rest of the week. The Raiders practice Friday, with a brief walk-through Saturday.
“I like to put guys out there who have practiced,” Jackson said, “unless I know definitely what’s going on, whether it’s medical or emotional or whatever that is.”
The emotional part is in regard to cornerback Chris Johnson, who still is dealing with the recent death of his sister Jennifer and the wounding of his mother.
Johnson has not practiced this week, and he has not rejoined his teammates since traveling to Texas for his sister’s funeral. He is expected back in town later today.

NO MORE PADS
The Raiders reached their allotment of padded practices last week, Jackson said. Therefore, they are practicing this week without pads, just as they will the next two weeks.
“There’s no more of those and that’s the way the league is,” Jackson said. “I respect that. We’re not going to break any rules. We’re going to do it right but, boy, I’d sure like to have ‘em on.”
The new guidelines as put forth in the collective bargaining agreement stipulates that teams are not allowed to conduct more than 14 padded practices during the regular season, as a means of preventing players from getting too worn down throughout the course of the season.
Jackson said he and his coaches have had to change the way they conduct practices to they are in accordance with the new rule.
“You have to adjust to it because there’s times when you need pads to sharpen certain things and sharpen fundamentals,” Jackson said. “You have to say, ‘OK, you can’t do it this way,’ but that’s OK. The emphasis is still the safety of the player, to make sure they haven’t been worn down, or grounded down, as a lot of people think they’ve been in the past.”

HOUSTON, WE NEED MORE FLASH
Jackson likes what he has seen from defensive end Lamarr Houston this season. Still, he said, there’s room for improvement from the second-year player.
“He’s done some really good things,” Jackson said. “He plays consistent, plays really hard. Obviously, you want to see more flash because he has that kind of ability, but he’s been very consistent and solid for our football team. I’m looking forward to him coming on these last three weeks and playing really well.”
Houston has only one sack in 13 games. Yet, he has played well against the run in most games and applied pressure on the quarterback on a consistent basis.
Bresnahan lumped Houston and middle linebacker Rolando McClain into the same category, young players finding their way in the NFL and growing on the job.
“They’ll probably tell you, they’re not where the want to be as of yet,” Bresnahan said, “but they approach it like professionals and, again, is it anywhere perfect yet? No. But that’s as a unit as well. But they’ve come into their own a little bit. They’ve grown.
“The maturity level with the way they prepare, the way they practice, again, it’s an ongoing (process). I’ve seen them mature throughout the season since I’ve been here. So it’s a work in progress, but it’s going in the right direction.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

as much heat as Carson Palmer gets, he’s 1-1 so far in home games. Loss to Denver (his first start of the season) and a win against Chicago

I wouldn’t be surprised if he played well against the Lions and got a win. Defense has to hold up their end of the bargain though.

As always, STUFF THE RUN = WIN THE GAME!

• Dakota

For everyone who is going to the game, don’t drink and drive….there is some big DUI enforcement program going on at the game according to the Oakland Tribune.

***

Tommy Kelly a gametime decision?

• Method To My Madness

652.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

******************************

Drink and BART!………..huah!

• Dakota

653.RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:12 pm

***

Tommy Kelly a gametime decision?
    +++++++++

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he got busted on his way to the game lol.

• Silverandblack666

“638. I understand the positive twist and all, but lets also be realists, we hope that he will do well these last couple of games because if he doesnt we dont make the playoffs…and Im going to have some long sundays & mondays…but lets say he doesnt do well, I say we have nothing to lose in during that time we dont make it that hue should see what Pryor has…nothing to lose at that point, In fact hue should have him 2nd on the depth chart at this point, because Boller aint cuttin it!”

Its almost cruel to tease us with playoff hopes after 9 years of nothing!

I agree with you that at some point we do need to see where Pryor is and how is he progressing. Boller is a paperweight dead space useless.

• Dakota

Difficult to tailgate in the BART station though…..

• Method To My Madness

657.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:14 pm
    Difficult to tailgate in the BART station though…..

*****************

Shiiiiiieeeeet…tailgating in the LOT bruh bruh!

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he got busted on his way to the game

***

another “false start” ?

652.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oh no worries…I usually stop drinking at around 12:30 walking in…the way these games have been this year, I’m sober by half time…lol

• GoodOle00

Even after his death Raider Legend Al Davis’ defensive strategies are being lauded and maligned.

The truth is, Davis’ defensive design is still on display even though his philosophy is not.

Well at least not as much.

Defensive Coordinator Chuck Bresnahan began changing the defensive scheme right away and with the Offense clicking and putting up points, it seemed successful, but as atrition and the season wore on Bresnahan’s defense was exposed.

Now the O could help out, eat the clock and put up points to defend but its really more about scheme right now.

No longer shackled by Davis’ rigid and simplistic man heavy scheme Bresnahan has called more zone defenses and blitzes than Mr. Davis would’ve liked (or allowed) with less than stellar results.

Those who decried Davis’ defensive approach as having stymied the Raiders may have the last word but it won’t be this year or maybe not even the next.

No matter the scheme, the players currently occupying the roster were selected to run Davis’ man coverage scheme and thats what they should be doing but no matter what type of defense is called Oakland will continue to falter unless they retrurn to something they did much earlier this year when they were winning.

TALK TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for the Offensive line. They even mentioned it themselves to the press earlier in the season. Line communication was great and responsible for better play.

How bout lets return to that?

Same needs to go for the D.

Too often defenders kind just of go “…uh, um, not sure will stand flat footed when the ball is snapped and try to read or hope the play is away from me!”

Cannot tell me, CANNOT, that many 1st round Draft picks on defense don’t know how to play football.

Clearly there is immense talent being fielded by the Silver and Black but there has been a lack of focus, attention to detail, communication and ACCOUNTABILITY.

Each man does his job to his best, ADVANTAGE OAKLAND.

They’re bigger, faster, stronger and when they execute, more often than not, they’re going to win.

When they don’t, communicate, when they don’t execute, they lose.

Its as simple as that.

Its as simple as Silver and Black.

• silverback

The problem is that Palmer has not had a great year sense he blew out that knee…I dont know, does he have the same fastball and accuracy sense that knee injury against the steelers? These other guys that you are mentioning have come back to have great seasons…thats the intangible you miss.
    ——
    Build a elite oline and running game and Palmer will be a winner for the Raiders.

• raiderinparadise

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he got busted on his way to the game

***

another “false start” ?

****

Clever.

although Kelly would claim his car is a false bart

658.Method To My Madness Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    657.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:14 pm
    Difficult to tailgate in the BART station though…..

*****************

Shiiiiiieeeeet…tailgating in the LOT bruh bruh!

And yup! It’s party time Sunday just a little after 8AM!

• hwnrdr

My anniversary and B’s Birthday weekend…oh boy!

• Method To My Madness

660.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    652.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

*************************************

Never sober! As usual….I party hardy from friday to sunday….on monday you might find me inthe drunk tank

• Method To My Madness

664.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:17 pm
    658.Method To My Madness Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:15 pm
    657.Dakota Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:14 pm
    Difficult to tailgate in the BART station though…..

*****************

Shiiiiiieeeeet…tailgating in the LOT bruh bruh!

And yup! It’s party time Sunday just a little after 8AM!

************************

Accompanied by a big win!

• hwnrdr

LOL, B…I remember after the Bears game…how did you get home man?

Each man does his job to his best, ADVANTAGE OAKLAND.

When they don’t, communicate, when they don’t execute, they lose.

Its as simple as that.

***

Ole,

none of this responsibility falls on the coaches?

it ALL does imo

• Method To My Madness

665.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
    My anniversary and B’s Birthday weekend…oh boy!

*****************************

Dumb faded…..stagger swagger into the Coliseum

• GoodOle00

642.Raider-in-PA Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 1:54 pm
    “Seymour is close to being finished….shoot him up with roids for this last hurrah”

Not a bad idea really.
    ——————————
    Throw Goethel in that mix too… dude needs some beef to be a stud MLB… which we could seriously use!!

Better bodies thru chemistry… Build the BULLY!!

========================

Goethel? Has this dude ever even played a quarter of NFL ball?

Even if he somehow was healthy enuff to go right now what kind of cardio would he have after sitting for TWO YEARS?

• raiderinparadise

I wish I could be at the game.

You all are os lucky.

We get a home playoff game and I’m there.

670.Method To My Madness Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    665.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
    My anniversary and B’s Birthday weekend…oh boy!

*****************************

Dumb faded…..stagger swagger into the Coliseum

LOL…just might be…and since its tonight…I just may be blasted from tonight all the way to Monday morning…lol

• Raider-in-PA

I think Chuck D. would make a better DCO than Chuck B.

“Cant truss it!!”

672.raiderinparadise Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    I wish I could be at the game.

You all are os lucky.

We get a home playoff game and I’m there.

Would be good to meet you, brah!

• raiderinparadise

Goethal, yes the same guy that was sharing 1st team snaps with McClain until he got hurt.

He could play any LB spot to be honest.

S-back,

you can’t mention “elite” O-Line when 3 of 5 starters are Satele, Carlisle & Barnes.

not to mention Veldheer’s play has regressed of late

• hwnrdr

Hey Rockstar…we still have to get you out here to the lot one year!

I think Chuck D. would make a better DCO than Chuck B

***

PA,

and Chuck B (oddly enough) might make a better HC than Hue Jackson

you just never know!

• Method To My Madness

668.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    LOL, B…I remember after the Bears game…how did you get home man?

*******************

Jesus H Christ………Damn your guess is as good as mines….uh im not too sure still

• Method To My Madness

673.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    670.Method To My Madness Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    665.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:18 pm
    My anniversary and B’s Birthday weekend…oh boy!

*****************************

Dumb faded…..stagger swagger into the Coliseum

****************

you only live once my friend…..but please stop laughing….MR doesnt aprove of that on this blog

• Method To My Madness

672.raiderinparadise Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    I wish I could be at the game.

You all are os lucky.

We get a home playoff game and I’m there.

*****************************

YESSSSSS!

• Raider-in-PA

Chuck D. and Flav rocked the Raiders gear just like NWA… Love those 80′s rappers…

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Like I give a crap!

• Method To My Madness

684.hwnrdr Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Like I give a crap!

*****************

Guess you’re a bootlicker….mayne

• hwnrdr

Actually, B…just got a text that cuzzo is coming out to the game Sunday…but he cut his hair…but he know he still will have the goods!

Hey Rockstar…we still have to get you out here to the lot one year!

***

that would be fun, but ROG would be disappointed if I show up to a game without a mullet :P

everybody sees the label “Podunk” and expects me to show up to a game in wranglers and a cowboy hat, tired and sweaty like I just been shoveling cow crap for the past 12 hours

I mean, you know…

LOL @ Rockstar!

• Method To My Madness

“Get up ah git git git down 911 is a joke in your town”

• Raider-in-PA

Here’s one for you:

I met Rob Ryan after a Raiders game a few years back right after a loss to the Dolts. I shook his hand and as we posed for a picture I said, ‘Next head coach of the Oakland Raiders’… He gave a little bit of a giggle… Turns out Big Al fired up the overhead projector and fired Lame following that game…

How much worse could it have been if Al made Ryan the HC instead of Cable at that point??

• raiderinparadise

HAWAIIAN AIRLINES IS THE OFFICIAL AIRLINE OF RAIDERS ODDLY ENOUGH. $791 to fly in fri and leave mon … But i can use my miles and pay for half of it. then tickets, drinks, drinks drinks, some food, hotel for me and my gf….

could be around 2k for a jan 8th home playoff game. LoL

all in if it happens tho

how many distractions does this team need?

Davis dies.

Campbell, ShoNasty, Goethel, Eugene & Chekwa gone for the season. Darren McFadden misses half the year

Palmer trade.

McClain’s off field issues

CJ37′s sister died & mom injured

now Hue Jackson (by his own doing) gets exposed as a major wuss?

I’ll be amazed if we win out and Denver loses 2/3 (or loses to KC) so that Oakland gets in the playoffs. AMAZED

• silverback

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:21 pm
    S-back,

not to mention Veldheer’s play has regressed of late
    —-
    I agree that the oline is clearly not there yet. Are the players that could get it there currently on the roster? Who the heck knows.

692.raiderinparadise Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

could be around 2k for a jan 8th home playoff game. LoL

all in if it happens tho

That is what my friends did for the Charger game…they fly in Saturday night, meet us at the game Sunday, then fly home Monday morning…

• Huebris

Aig-Raiders Says:

My point is that gunslingers will throw ints and their numbers will go up in a year when their team is struggling.

—————————-

Well, that describes pretty much every quarterback in the NFL. So, we’ll just say your definition of a gunslinger is: The guy that stands behind center and takes the snap.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

“Coach Hue Jackson says his troops will play with reckless abandon Sunday”

That’s probably why they get so many penalties.

• eastoaklandraider

We still need o line help turns out gaither would have been a good pick up he is playing well in KC I hear.

• RaiderVictory