Seymour, Palmer taking lead on heels of must-win game

Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour is no stranger to big games. He played in four Super Bowls with the New England Patriots, after all.
Therefore, the numerous players on the Raiders who haven’t played in a so-called big game would do wise to listen to Seymour when it comes to knowing what to expect and how to act Sunday against the Chargers.
He said he doesn’t shy away from making a big deal of the upcoming game, even at the risk of a player placing more pressure upon himself to perform.
“You have to, obviously, it is a big game,” Seymour said. “So, you can’t deny that fact but, as a competitor, as a player, you have to embrace these moments because they don’t come around often. And that’s something that I’ve always done throughout my career. You want to play your best football in the biggest games. And, as a competitor, you have to want that. But you have to enjoy it. It’s a fun time.”
Quarterback Carson Palmer said he cautions players to treat such games the same way they did the Thursday night game against the Chargers on Nov. 10, when the Raiders played before a national audience, in prime time.
“I don’t think you make too big of a deal of it,” Palmer said. “It’s another game. All games are important, all games we need to win. Especially with young guys who don’t have a lot of experience, you don’t want to freak anyone out or make people think you need to play differently or make a spectacular play or do anything out of the ordinary.
“You just need to do your job and go through your footwork, where your eyes should be, where your hands should be and all those little things and not put too much emphasis on, ‘We have to win, , we have to win, we have to win.’ Guys just need to go out and play and do their jobs.”

EIGHT IS ENOUGH
Sunday’s game is sold out, meaning it will be televised locally and the Raiders sold out all eight of their regular-season home games.
The Raiders failed to sell out more than six games in any of the previous 16 seasons since their relocation to Oakland. Jackson said he expects the fans to be off the hook Sunday.
“If I know our fans and the way they’ve been for us all year, it’s going to be unbelievable,” Jackson said. “They’ll be on the edge of their seats. They’ll bring the noise and the passion, and they’ll give us extra energy. We need them, and I expect them to be as loud as they’ve ever been, and we need a true 12th man this week.”
Jackson feels as if the only way he and his players can repay the fans for their loyalty, passion and commitment is to win more games at home, in addition to making the playoffs.
The Raiders are 5-3 on the road this season but only 3-4 at the Coliseum.
“We’re making progress, and I’m happy and my hat goes out to our fans for supporting us,” Jackson said. “What we have to do is give back to them, like I’ve always said, and how we give back is by winning. For some reason, we’re much different than what we were a year ago. We were winning in our division at home and on the road. This year has been on the road and not at home. We’ve got to get that trend changed. We need to win at home.”

CHARGERS GOING TO MAIL IT IN?
Jackson made a point Wednesday of saying there’s no way the Chargers are going to go through the motions Sunday, that the Chargers are going to be motivated to beat the Raiders.
Earlier this month, Jackson said teams such as the Chargers in a situation where they are out of playoff contention tend to shut it down if the opponent can succeed in the run.
The thinking goes, it’s easier to break a team’s spirit if you keep pounding away and make it a more physical game than usual.
Here’s Jackson’s take Dec. 9, two days before the Raiders played the Green Bay Packers.
“Toward the end of the year, people really start to run it (more),” Jackson said. “People kind of know where they stand, probably, with the chances of playoffs and everything else. The games we play, they’re going to be very competitive games down the stretch here.
“Every game counts for us, but the teams that know they don’t have a chance, normally teams that play those teams run the ball against them because eventually those guys say, ‘OK, I’ve had enough.’ They make a business decision to take the game off. That’s my opinion. That’s what I’ve seen over the years.”
In other words, look for the Raiders to go with a heavy dose of Michael Bush and Taiwan Jones and see if they can’t get the Chargers to roll over.

STAT OF THE YEAR
Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt has committed 16 penalties in 15 games this season. To put that into perspective, that’s one more than the entire Green Bay Packers defense.
Tough to comprehend, at the least.

FORD PRIMED TO ROLL
Wide receiver Jacoby Ford rebounded from Wednesday’s practice without any setbacks or lingering effects from his first action in seven weeks.
That gives Jackson even more confidence that Ford will be full go Sunday against the Chargers after missing the past six games.
“I was really happy with the way he practiced today,” Jackson said. “He’s getting better, and it’s good to have him back out there. It’s a testament to our medical staff. They have done a great job. Like I told (everyone), I’ve kind of stayed away from it and when guys are ready to play, when they put them back out there, they’ve been ready.”
Jackson isn’t quite as confident in regard to running back Taiwan Jones, who just returned from a hamstring injury.
Jones is making steady progress, yet he still hasn’t shown Jackson what Jackson wants to see before he can count upon Jones in a game.
“He’s getting better,” Jackson said, “but, again, I still haven’t seen him just turn it loose yet, and that’s kind of what you need to see. He’s real close. I asked him today, ‘How are you feeling?’ He said, ‘Coach, much better. I’m practically there.’
“But, still, to say he’s exactly where he needs to be to play at high level, I’m gonna see it, and that’s just where I am. I need to see it in order for a guy to do it, because if the guy shows you in practice, he’s going to do it in a game.”

HUFF A KEY COMPONENT
The Raiders get back starting free safety Michael Huff on Sunday after playing the past two games without one of their most consistent players.
Jackson and defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said Huff’s presence makes a huge difference in the overall performance of the Raiders defense.
“He gives you another outstanding competitor and another outstanding football player,” Bresnahan said. “We’ll see where he’s at and judge it as the week goes on.”
Bresnahan added that Huff has been champing at the bit to get back in the fold. Huff has missed four games this season after not missing any his first five NFL seasons.
“This is a guy that has been sitting back and pulling his hair out,” Bresnahan said. “He is a competitor and wants to be out on the field. Anything that Michael can give us is going to be a huge plus, and we’re excited to have him back on the football field.”

JANIKOWSKI SPEAKS
Kicker Sebastian Janikowski is headed to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his 12 NFL seasons. The man of few words broke from the norm and shared some of his thoughts with the media Thursday.
“It’s very sweet,” Janikowski said. “I’m excited about it. If you asked me that question 10 years ago, I would say I’d be there five times already. I’m excited. I can’t wait.”
Making it even sweeter for Janikowski is the fact that he will be joined by punter Shane Lechler, a veteran of six Pro Bowls — he was selected for the seventh time Tuesday.
“It’s awesome,” Janikowski said. “I’ve been waiting for 12 years. Especially (nice) that Shane will be there. He’ll show me the ropes, I guess.”
Lechler said he intends to set up a round of golf or two so that he and Janikowski can take down the 49ers kicking tandem of Andy Lee and David Akers.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• Method To My Madness

I never liked Jaworski…and never will

Do you truly believe Pryor is our future QB?

Seriously?

***

@HairyBush

Yes – no doubt in my mind

• Dakota

Revis has not had a PI call against him since….2007….and has only had 3 defensive holding calls accepted against him in his entire career.

Holy Horse Apples Batman!

• Method To My Madness

LA…battle tested teams are rough to deal with in January

• boss01

The only guy from BSPN that has showed the Raiders any love this season consistently has ben Keyshawn, all others are religious Raider Haters, especially the Mike clowns. Key only likes the Raiders cuz Hue and CP are / were trojans. Jaworski is a big time raider hater ever since he got his @ss handed to him by the raiders in the sb

Is Palmer the qb to take us to postseason? We can worry bout Pryor later

• Method To My Madness

Keyshawn Johnson from LA…and grew up a Raider fan….that’s well known…I have no issue with Key except his outdated fade

• Dakota

A near decade of bad football might have something to do with the talking heads being down on us, even as we are emerging from bottom dweller status.

Until we prove we belong they are going to hate on us. I remember a lot of those same guys being pretty high on the Raiders in 2001 and 2002….

Of course, Tom Jackson will always hate us, so may he be stricken deaf, dumb and impotent!

• Method To My Madness

we really need Satele to have his best game as a Raider this Sunday. We controlled line with Wiz last time…now Samson must rep Hawaii well

• HairyBush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 8:51 am
    Do you truly believe Pryor is our future QB?

Seriously?

***

@HairyBush

Yes – no doubt in my mind
    ————————-
    plz make me a believer. What am I missing?

• Dakota

Dakota…2000-2002 they still hated us

• Dakota

Pryor our QB of the future? Hope he can wait 5 more seasons.

If not, then I hope he gets in a couple of games and lights it up and we can make a Kolb-like trade with some sucker.

• Dakota

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:01 am
    Dakota…2000-2002 they still hated us
    +++++++

Maybe on the inside, but they showed outward respect. Leading up to that SB most of them were picking the Raiders.

• Method To My Madness

HairyBush…..Pryor release worries me to death and can he throw an out route to sideline? Palmer even having trouble with that

• Method To My Madness

Dakota….no way no how did most pick us…..I already knew we were gonna lose that game….it was fixed and they knew it

• hwnrdr

Yes, Satele needs to rep Hawaii really well! Him and Tonga needs to rep the Polynesian culture really well this Sunday!

• Dakota

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:06 am
    +++++++++

our gameplan with Palmer should at this point be, just throw bombs. Then if he is picked it is more likely just to be almost like a punt lol.

• Method To My Madness

Gruden will never coach again…he is doing the Madden thing….you can’t see that?

• HairyBush

Method To My Madness Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:06 am
    ——————————–
    Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that. Pryor seems like a cool novelty or gimmick guy for certain scenarios. As our franchise QB I have way to many questions with Pryor that probaly do not end with the right answers. Hopefully Carson is good for 4 years and in 2 years we draft a QB to groom behind him for the following 2 years (like Favre/Rodgers). IMO that is the best way to maintain success without having a rebuilding year.

• Method To My Madness

Hwnrdrd I think those two shall!

• Chris in NY

Mike and Mike’s geekiness makes Kornheiser and Wilbon jealous.

• boss01

The NFL Network guys, like Marshall and Deion dont hate on the raiders as much as the bspn punks.

Pryor is NOT the future, another pet project that needs years to develop. Maybe in 5 years if he works his butt off, I will give him a chance.

Palmer, on pace for 30 ints’ over the course of a 16 game season, is the future now, and will be for the next 2-3 seasons, but come on, 8 games 15 picks? that’s almost 2 picks a game. Dude better cut down on the picks, he is on record setting pace, no chance in the playoffs if he keeps making WTF thtows.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

Jacoby and Denarius and Taiwan all tried out the “business decision” of McFootSprain and they found that it lacked quality.
    Welcome back young men.
    __________\\\\\
    yes an on young mans “business decision” may have cost him an his teamates a whole season.

Welcome back young warriors

Go Raiders!!!

• HairyBush

—————–
    That’s one way to keep Lechler rested lol

• Method To My Madness

hairy…..I’m with ya…who knows…we may draft Rivers lil bro as qb of future in a few years

• Raider Dell

Raider Dell Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:13 am
    You guys, the media has and never will like us, it’s been this way for decades. I can remember before the internet, our local guys b#itchin about the Raiders, as well as the other media on radio and print.

As Raider Nation we have a Love hate relationship with the media, WE LOVE RAIDERS AND THEY HATE RAIDERS, it will not change. Just remember your not hated unless you are not RESPECTED.

So strap on your pants tight,fuk the media and let’s play on sunday. Win, it’s going to get worse so learn to live with the media, it’s all they have left for our Raiders.

• Method To My Madness

Cain! Sup wit it OG? Man what’s the happs? U there Sunday?

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

B@uce wasup baby boy!

• Raider Dell

Raider Dell Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:16 am
    Raider Dell Says: December 30th, 2011 at 9:13 am
    You guys, the media has and never will like us, it’s been this way for decades. I can remember before the internet, our local guys complaining about the Raiders, as well as the other media on radio and print.

So strap on your pants tight, the media and let’s play on sunday. Win, it’s going to get worse so learn to live with the media, it’s all they have left for our Raiders.

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

100 Dell 100
    way to pit it down

• Raider Dell

This blog sucks, can’t even swear in my above comment, yet they are ok with all the racist comments from mentally deformed MR.

• Method To My Madness

Dell always voice of reason…I’m in agreement

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

I got tickets but got baby mamma drama
    don’t know yet.
    Ain’t got no sitter

• Raider Dell

Pryor comments, comon guys we are playing for a division title, that can wait until the gloom of winter, when we discuss Lakers, Warriors and Politics, and the opposite sex.

• Method To My Madness

Cain…ya know I’m just looking at it…celebrated my bday in vegas and my block report was updated each night there…had a good xmas watching warriors….then went to knicks game Wednesday…but as all raider cats said that nite….SUNDAY IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT

plz make me a believer. What am I missing?

***

HB,

roll some Youtube highlights. that was enough to make Al Davis and YOU PEOPLE fans of Mike Mitchell!

Dell…alrighty…we shall talk Sunday only

• http://Www.bullycains.com r8dercain

B@uce check yo email bruh

• ghostraiders

I know one thing…. Pryor is and will be a much better qb than tebow. … I don’t understand why people are down on this kid.. he is super athletic.. runs like the wind.. stays in great shape.. just wait.. he’s going to surprise many of you.. the only reason the media didn’t gush all over him was because he was picked by al davis.. had Pryor gone to greenbay or the Patsy’s. . Bspn and NFL network would be licking pryors balls….

• Raider Dell

RRS

MM, has been what I thought he would be. He is out of position as far as our current defensive scheme.

The man can cover tight ends , yet has difficulty in open space and reading the play and oppossing teams QB.

His strength is in the box and if we had a d-coordinator like the dude in Pitt, MM can be similar to Polamalu in moving him around to blitz or cover small areas in the field.

• Method To My Madness

Cain….BM drama? Cold game….tell her u got ur raider family to meet Sunday! Quit hating! Biggest game in 9 years

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Hue is saving Pryor for the playoffs. He is our secret weapon.

Ok Cain I will

• hwnrdr

Dell, what’s up man…
    Not sure if you responded to my comment the other day but…
    When I get in the lot, I always text B, DMAC, and others to my location, then in about an hour, they find me! Dirt Lot always calls when he walks over to find me! Hope to see you there, bro!

• djohnnyg

369.HairyBush Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 8:01 am
    Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 7:58 am
    Nice to have Ford back, yet, our real troubles lie on stopping opponents during the 4th quarter. I dont believe JFord, nor DMac would help.
    —————————
    They will help because in theory we will have more points on the board. Wishful thinking perhaps on my part.

I will be nervous even if we have a 20 pt. lead with 6 mins. left in the game.

I don’t trust Bresnahans D until they prove they CAN be trusted.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

R8dercain Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:20 am
    I got tickets but got baby mamma drama
    don’t know yet.
    Ain’t got no sitter
    ———
    Anyone can watch your kid. Get yo sorry ass to the game!

Dammit MR way to ruin great Raider talk….please leave

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

We all know the great B@uce wouldn’t let some kid spoil his Raider football.

• C2E

443.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 9:29 am
    Hue is saving Pryor for the playoffs. He is our secret weapon.

======

highly unlikely. More probable to see Bush make a toss, which we haven’t seen in awhile.