Players reflect upon lost season

Less than 24 hours ago, Raiders players were putting on their cleats and preparing for a must-win game against the San Diego Chargers. Today, those shoes are being thrown into garbage bags, loaded into vehicles and stored until the offseason workouts begin.
Such is the harsh nature of a season, when one loss brings everything to a screeching halt and sends thoughts of Super Bowl titles in another direction.
“Yeah, it’s definitely tough to swallow,” right guard Cooper Carlisle said Monday. “We didn’t know the exact scenario that would play out, but it turns out if we win that game, we’re preparing for Pittsburgh. Instead, I’m cleaning shoes out of the locker.”
That scene played out throughout the Raiders locker room this morning, as players gathered their belongings, participated in exit interviews and said their good-byes much sooner than they expected.
Strong safety Tyvon Branch said a night’s sleep and some reflecting back on what could have been hasn’t changed his outlook.
“It still hurts,” Branch said. “Same feeling. Ain’t much changed overnight. We still want to keep playing, but we can’t.”
Veteran defensive tackle Richard Seymour said he will let coach Hue Jackson and whoever else is involved in the decision-making process this offseason decide whether changes need to be made in terms of personnel and scheme.
The important thing is, recognizing that the way the Raiders performed this season wasn’t good enough and finding ways to get better play on a week to week basis.
“Obviously, it’s disappointing, for sure,” Seymour said. “We didn’t accomplish our goals, so, t’s disappointing, to say the least. But we never make any excuses. We were inconsistent and that ended up being our Achilles heel at the end of the day.”
Punter Shane Lechler is one of two Raiders who know what it’s like to be on a playoff team around here. Yet, even he and kicker Sebastian Janikowski are nine years removed from that taste.
Lechler said he and his teammates were confident of ending that drought. Now, they have to deal with the pain of coming up short.
“That one hurt, man,” Lechler said. “It’s been a long time, though, since we had anything to play for around here. We just let a great opportunity go.”
Just the same, Lechler said, being in a position to challenge for a playoff spot in the final game of the season counts as progress.
“Yeah, I’ve been out of competition for anything around here in November for the last six years, know what I mean?” Lechler said. “Finally had something to play for, and it’s fun, I’ll say that. But it sucked losing.”
Jackson’s season-ending news conference begins at 2 p.m. Should be interesting to see if he has changed his tune from yesterday, when he used the word “pissed” or “pisses me off” nine times in describing his emotions on the heels of a 38-26 loss to the Chargers.
Jackson spent all season saying he isn’t into pointing fingers, making excuses and singling out players. His comments Sunday broke from that and signaled that major changes are in the offing this offseason.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• JB

2012 – the year of the FA! This is our only current avenue of redemption. Renegotiate contracts based on performance, hire new key coaches and coordinators and get this ship afloat quickly. A new GM needs to be acquired as quickly as possible.

• fingers

Yep…!i didnt hear anything we don’t already know in today’s presser… Nothing

• elraidmanhattan

This poster Al D is in serious need of an intervention, anybody got his address I will send 2 guys over there with a net, and a couple of hyperdermics to calm him down

• Method To My Madness

RaiderDuck is a disrespectful pxssy…u wanna steal something that doesn’t belong to you. Going to LA in first place was mistake number one and for 30 years damn near its been a struggle…fk u and ur punk ass schit…u only care about looks of your coked out stadium….accept the charger in LA or shut up btch

• Seymour Bush

Forrest Hump Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 4:23 pm

HOW DOES THAT FALL ON THE HEAD COACH? THE PLAYERS GAVE UP THAT RETURN, NOT THE COACH!!!!
    ==========================================

Oh yeah, I forgot, wins and losses, big plays in the return game, field goals not TD’s, not having the right play, poor clock management, that is not the fault of the Head Coach. That’s the fault of the City of Oakland. Right….

• Silverandblack666

Ok I will start with Wimbly who is paid to play like Julius Peppers and had “one” good game all year.

Giradono was in over his head, I mean here is a practice squad player that we had to use all season long….I will let the rest of you call out other players I started the list

• http://build-a-bully 909RaiderLifer

PGutierrezCSN “The year is over now; now I can tell you what I really feel, and what’s really on my mind.” – boxing promoter Bob Arum, er @RAIDERS HueJax
    19 minutes ago
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Just a bunch of BS the whole time, ehh Hubert?….

• Seymour Bush

elraidmanhattan Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 4:35 pm

=================================

They’re trolls that come in here to post garbage. Just ignore them.

• 303Raider

Wah!!

Most of you Hue haters are delusional!!

It took Grudern 3 years!! Hue inhereited Al’s Deefense which were Al’s players!!

Sine HueJax became involved with our organization, we actually have hope for the 1st time, oh and he dealt with a myriad of issues, Death of Al, lost starting QB, etc.

I guarantee you HueJax is staying, get us a decent D coordinator, a cover LB, one more corner, Carson an offseason with the “O”, and we win this didvsion in week 14

Stop being butt hurt and think logical, Chuck B screwed us big time. All we had to do was stop 1 98 plus yard drive against Detroit or SD and we would be ok.

Actually it’s good we lost this way so we can finally address what has been ignored for a decade: Our Defense and our penalties. The penalty issue again is an Al Davis thing, Hue inherited an Old Man’s dying philosophy, give him another year.

Playoffs, AFC West total at 11-5 next year!!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Method To My Madness Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 4:36 pm

——————————————
    Same ole dumbschit from you. This aint your blog btch!

• Method To My Madness

Hue needs to go…fk that schit…punk takes no accountability

• fingers

Keep a good product in Oakland and it will sellout…. That’s why that D has to be fixed … Tired of being sick to my stomach watching Qbs slice through our D like a hot butter knife

• Pretty Rick

Post 252 Seymour Bush,,

No beef, I just gave a honest analysis on Hue that’s all.
    I’m not sayn to keep him or can him. I just try to put everything in perspective considering everything that took place this season ie; deaths, injuries, gun charges, more deaths, Chuck B, more injuries, as well as his own foolish mistakes. I think everybody needs to slow down with all the bring in Cohwer, Fisher and Gruden talk, because what makes people think all of these top notch coaches are going to be kicking down the doors to take the Raiders job anyway? We are about to find out what Mark Davis is really about now that the season is over. We’ll see if he’s just like his dad (hopefully not), or if he’s openminded to becoming a modernnized sports franchise. The jurry is still out on Mark Davis.

• Method To My Madness

303 you’re a wimp just like Hue…and a loser like he is

• YoungAmerican

Funny, when Hue Jackson took the blame in his press conferences, everyone was all up in arms because he wouldn’t call out certain players. Now that he starts pointing out that certain players didn’t do their jobs, Hue Jackson takes no responsibility for the team.

Can’t have it both ways, guys.

• Forrest Hump

Seymour Bush Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 4:34 pm
    Forrest Hump Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 4:29 pm

In fact Gruden posted consecutive 8-8 seasons before we came back with a vengence and made a SB run. What was our record the last 2 years again?? Oh yeah, 8-8…….the time is here, as long as we only make the NECESSARY changes. Hue Jack STAYS!!
    =============================================

See post #271. I guess you are fine with going 1-4 down the stretch. Thank God you’re not making the franchise decisions.
    **************

NO thank God YOU AREN’T. Hue Jack stays. Watch and see.

• Seymour Bush

============================================

Sorry guy, but this team was 7-4. In control. Playing well. It’s not this team had one 99 and a half yard drive to seal it. This team had dozens of opportunities to seal it. And never did. They went 4-6 in their last 10. Including more than one blow out loss. Time for more than one person to hit the unemployment line.

• Silverandblack666

STFU you saw different…. relay do tell…I saw a team of guys on D playing half speed heartless lack of urgency please explain what you saw?

• Silverandblack666

Players didn’t play hard and that’s ultimately on Hue, he is their motivator.

You can blame schemes all you want but sloppy tackling will make any scheme look bad. Guys cant shed blocks taking bad angles there are no Schemes for that!

• fingers

It’s the diffrence in winning and losing… Lose and it’s nasty in here… Win , and it’s all sunshine and puppy’s… We’re in the Nasty faze..lol…..as you can see ( read)

• elraidmanhattan

Got it, thanks.

Now back to the team we all want some kind of resolution, it is coming I am sure of it the next days/week will tell all. .

In the meantime please Mark Davis, and Amy Trask- call Mike Nolan,and bring him back to the west coast.

• fingers

666…saw the same defense you saw…. Guys that played like they don’t give a schidt ..

• Kirk

It’s time to ditch Seymour and switch to a 3-4 defense.

All the best defenses run the 3-4.

• fingers

666..but I differ in that I do believe the schemes aren’t good… As well as personnel…IMO we need to blow up the D … …I don’t know if it’s Woodson or Bresnahan but I do know our DB are blowing coverages and out of position to make plays…. IMO its execution as well as schemes ..

• fingers

And Tackling … Sheesh… Our defense couldn’t tackle my grandmother …

• PlunkforHOF

So disappointed, Raider fans… I have to lay it on the defense… yes Bres needs to be dropkicked into the Bay, but I think our D-Line needs a long look.. I watched the Giants demolish the Cowboys and couldn’t help but think “Why dosen’t our Dline perform like that?

Hire a GM?.. of course

Hue?.. I’m conflicted.. Terrible time management.. questionable playcalling yesterday. Still, I’d like to see him have one more year with this offense, minus responsibilities of the GM.

Finally a note to Dvrick…

Dvrick.. you missed it earlier when your mom posted that in her opinion Phillip Rivers d!ck tasted just like yours! Also she was baking you a cake to celebrate the Chargers still HAVE NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP.

• MEX_GHOST

124.exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 2:09 pm
    R.I.P.: 2011 Oakland Raiders.
    Now for all you f*cked up Raider Haters, it was probably enjoyable to you. To me , I saw a team that still contended in spite of devastating injuries. Yes, all teams had them but ours were more severe. All speed and skill players hurt. Hue was stuck with an awful defensive coordinator. Fire him. On the subject of Palmer, when a QB has no running game and still throws for 400 yrd, no complaints by me. I feel better now, I vented.
    ————————————–
    Agree!
    This part of “still contended in spite of devastating injuries” it´s what make keep the faith. just look at the poors Colts.

• DEATHROW 55

If we were going to switch to a3/4 wich I am all for I would want rex Ryan I think he knows he ain’t a hc and realizes he should shut his big mouth and demote to a DC. We have some fast hard young hitting players. I think he would flourish us into what we need to be. O yea let’s get rid of some puzzies like mcclain, litto, cj, blackstock, tj housh, boller, seymore, Kelly maybe keep Kelly since he is a true raider, Boyd, actually let’s seek trades and re structure contracts if they don’t like it ship them out . We have a lot of young players so the draft is over rated plus we always blow our first round picks, some 3 rd and 4th even 5 th round guy’s like d. Moore can be found so let’s trade our trash for something .

• luvmarvhub

Silverandblack666 Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 3:55 pm
    Romonoski just said that Chucky B took them to the Super Bowl as a D coordinator and what we really needed were better players…..hmmm
    ***************************************************

That’s true. Not saying Chuck is a defensive wiz, but he did not have quality guys on that D. That D was put together by the man who always thought that athletic guys could and should magically turn into
    Jack Tatums, Ted Hendricks, Willie Browns, and Howie Longs. Big Al lived in a dream wonderland, his own football Neverland.

I’ve been saying all along how sick I am of people claiming we have a lot of talent on defense. What kind of talent are they talking about?

• luvmarvhub

And about Rod Woodson. Steve said the guys liked him, but liking a guy isn’t the same as his being a good coach. For all I know, he is a good coach; for all I know, he isn’t.

What I do know is that several people, including Tom Flores, have pointed out that Stan Routt seemed to be mimicking the “hand-swatting” technique that was employed “to perfection by Rod Woodson but which is no longer legal under the rules’ changes.”

So, I hope that any new DC can appoint his own staff.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See January 2, 2012 « Raiders Central - The Ultimate Oakland Raiders Blog

• RaidingTexas

KoolKell Says:

Chuck Bresnahan. Al Davis’ last fk-up.

————————–

Hue Jackson. Al Davis’ second to last fk-up.

Let’s hope both fk-ups are remedied soon.

• UCSBPreMedMike

HUE:
    Remember: It’s better to be pissed off, than pissed on.

• UCSBPreMedMike

..You ARE preparing for Pittsburgh…it’s just next season! And, it’s likely our damn home opener since the NFL likes to do everything they can to increase the possibilities of the Raiders losing in the beginning of every season.

• manmarquez