Jackson says decisions on assistants coming ‘soon’

A member of 95.7 FM The Game said Sunday that “a little birdie” told him that every member of the Raiders defensive staff was fired. On Tuesday, that same radio host amended that to say four defensive coaches were fired today, including defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan.
Jackson on a Sacramento radio show Tuesday said that he won’t comment on the status of his staff at this point. Raiders senior executive John Herrera said of the 95.7 report, “That’s not right.”
The coaches met with Jackson on Tuesday. During those meetings the coaches were told that any decisions about their future with the Raiders will be made sooner rather than later “because that’s only fair to the coaches,” Jackson said on the Sacramento radio show.
Then again, league rules stipulate that coaches under contract have to be told by a certain date whether they are going to be retained. That window closes in two weeks.
The 95.7 report today said Bresnahan, linebackers coach Greg Biekert and secondary coaches Kevin Ross and Rod Woodson were told that they won’t be asked back next season.

In other news, the Raiders signed sign WR Eddie McGee, G Alex Parsons, RB Lonyae Miller, OL Zach Hurd, DE Carl Inehacho, DT Jamie Cumbie, DB Terrail Lambert and NT Travis Ivey to futures contracts.
Those eight players finished the season on the practice squad. The Raiders had one week to re-sign them without competition from other teams.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• J Hill

What happened to the 99 problems but my Kangs ain’t one guy?

• J Hill

Mike Brown = NBA Coach of the Year!

How about that, Dakota?

• hwnrdr

Remains to be seen, JHill! LOL

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

We let Chucky leave.
    The Lions Fired him.
    Cinci fired him.

Chucky is a proven loser!

• Dakota

saladfingerz Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:59 am
    Raider-in-PA Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Anyone have the skinny on how long it would take for Reggie, if hired to get to Oakland to start the evaluation/purging process?? Would he have to wait until Green Bay’s season is over?? If so, he probably wont be here until early February…
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We would be waiting till the Pack’s season is over.

NFL policy also makes clear that while interviews can take place, a contract cannot be executed until employer club’s playing season is over
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

KC hired Scott Pioli on Jan 13th 2009, but then I remembered that 2008 was the year the Pats went 11-5 and did not make the playoffs….

• mcfadden20.

Dakota Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:04 am
    mcfadden20. Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:58 am

When did he say he wanted complete control besides saying that he’ll like it if they want to get his input about who could help the Raiders more ?
    _______________________________

“I’m going take a stronger hand in this whole team, this whole organization,” Jackson said. “There ain’t no way that I’m going to feel like I feel today a year from now, I promise you that. There’s no question.
    Defensively, offensively and special teams.”

“… yeah, I’m going to take a hand in everything that goes on here.”

—–
    Yeah that means if he is allowed to get a chance by the upper boss he’ll bring on better players and better coaches on all sides …do you want him to say oh I will just focus on O side next year n isn’t everyone blaming him for not firing Bresnahan .. Now when he said he will try to take over all sides .. That’s wrong too .. What do you guys want ?

• DMAC

J Hill Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:11 am

Mike Brown = NBA Coach of the Year!

How about that, Dakota?
    ==========

LMAO!
    Thats a good one J, but you should of used that on April fools day bruh.
    Oh by the way, happy new year brother.

• J Hill

Happy New Year to you too, DMAC!

And everyone else for that matter.

• Dakota

Bob Marley Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:08 am
    If McKenzie-Wolf are hired and they decide to keep Hue Jackson, how soon will you turn on the new front-office?.

That’s not directed to Dakota and those who have said they would accept it if that’s what they decid.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

For me, that would be fine. I believe Hue has the ability to be an NFL HC, and if the GM believes in him too, then great.

I would give the new GM 3-5 years before I turned on him, unless I spotted a fake earlier, like I did with Tom Cable.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC,

I Love Puff Puff Pass!!!!

• http://ggeden.wordpress.com/ GG

Chris, just to touch base again….

Hue is under contract. The GM will be hired by Mark. Hue may want input on it, but ultimately he does not get priority veto because he is just a rookie HC with 1 year left on his contract, who has done nothing for the Raiders either to validate a priority veto. Sure, he showed some promise in some areas, but again coaches are a dime a dozen. GMs are the much higher commodity. And for the Raiders post-Al, even more of a prime need, especially for Mark himself (who does not and cannot emulate his father and wants to hand complete control of the football department over to someone who he and his mom can trust and who will do a great job of it).

Like any job interview, you have Hue the rookie HC wanting Mark to consider his application for the HC/GM role, and you have Reggie McKenzie putting his application in. And like any smart organization, they will hire the most qualified person. Hue has honestly zero or 10% noteworthy credentials to Reggie’s 100%.

When Mark is ecstatic about the opportunity to hire Reggie and if Reggie accepts, Reggie will have conditions, full control naturally, which is what Mark wants too. And if Reggie sees Hue as a problem for the organization and himself in his role, that could jeopardize his ability to provide Mark the results he wants, then he will ask Mark if he can remove Hue. If Mark agrees, Mark will fire Hue. Anyway, Reggie is a consummate professional and will want to sit down with Hue and talk shop with him, see if they can get along, get a feel for him etc. It’s up to Hue then. If he carries on like he did in the presser (i know what to do now to fix this whole organization, i want full power, and if they wont give it to me then i dont want to be here anymore), then naturally he will just resign or Reggie will inform Mark that it’s a no-go and Mark will relieve Hue.

• J Hill

I would give the new GM 3-5 years before I turned on him,

——————————————————-

LOL!

• FreddieB

All I am saying is that I think Hue needs someone to answer too. Mark Davis is not that guy. Yeah he is the owner, but does he have the stones to keep Hue in check? I think that Hue, with the right mentor, could be a good HC. Bring in a GM and let him evaluate his staff. If retained, why would we want Hue to fail? That just means more frustration and starting all over again.

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    Mike Brown = NBA Coach of the Year!

How about that, Dakota?
    +++++++++++

Yes he was…in Cleveland right?

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:16 am

DMAC,

I Love Puff Puff Pass!!!!
    ========

Come on out for a game next season.

We’ll get blunted fasho’

• Seymour Bush

Bob Marley Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Mike Trgovac coordinated John Fox’s defense for many years, even if Fox was likely heavily involved and he’s coached under Dom Capers for a while, that’s 2 very nice guys to learn from.

And he has been in charge so he must have experience dealing with players, plus he’s a former DL he’s gotta be a tough sob.

Bring him in Reggie.
    ===============================================

Good thinking. But I would add bring in Tom Clements and get rid of Jackson. Clements can definitely develop Q’s. There is NO DOUBT about that.

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    I would give the new GM 3-5 years before I turned on him,

——————————————————-

LOL!

++++++++++++++++

What, does he need a decade to get this team right?

• DMAC

Damn I’m lazy!

Any post that is written 2 or more paragraphs…….

I pass!

No disrespect to anyone though.

• RaidingTexas

MikieG Says:

If your the head coach its called holding MF’ers accountable…

—————————

I’m talking about his stints at Cincy and Baltimore. He most definitely was not head coach there. And he undermined Marvin Lewis and John Harbaugh. Both were not sorry to see him go. I posted a link to discussion about this above.

Thanks for playing.

• J Hill

——————————————————-

And there it is ….

• Just Fire Baby

Hue Jackson = Don Nelson

All offense, no defense, no discpline, terrible game management, huge ego

Print that!

• SilverNBlackPA

Do the Steelers play in Oakland next season? Might have to scrape together the fundage for that.

Although the baby is due July 31st, so who knows if I’ll be able to leave.

• MikieG

# SilverNBlackPA Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

Real men finger blast with clean finger tips..

+++++++++

LMAO

Plus, hey, the ladies don’t tend to like jagged fingernails when you’re exploring down south.
    ++++++++++++++

Lol, that’ll straight get you kicked out!

• mcfadden20.

Not Nelly!
    Those days are over!
    We play Defense now!
    lol
    Go Dubs!

• Dakota

Come on guys, why would you doubt the reports of Hue undermining other coaches and threatening his own players on Saturday nights before games?

Do you think perfect men and great minds were willing to take jobs under Al Davis?

Cable was a wife beater.

Kiffin was a snake.

And Hue is an egomaniac.

Fits the trend.

• RaidingTexas

Chris In NY Says:

Hue took this offense from a 12 ppg unit to a 26 ppg unit in his first season here despite suspect talent almost across the board that year (excluding RB)

———————————–

I’ve repeatedly stated here that the main reason for the increase in 2010 was the cutting of Jamarcus Russell and nearly a full season of Darren McFadden. Please offer valid arguments as to why those two reasons alone would not take you from 5-11 to 8-8.

Despite your dislike of Jason Campbell, he was a huge upgrade over a purple drank, half-asleep piece of crap fat fk.

If anything, we should question why Hue wasn’t able to get more than three extra wins out of those two factors.

• J Hill

Certainly not a decade.

Just the fact that their is a timeline at all in hilarious to me.

The ole one eyebrow raised thing is just in you, lol.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Best case scenario as of now, for me:

GM: Reggie McKenzie.

Personnel: Elliot Wolf.

HC: Hue Jackson.

DC: Mike Trgovac.

Give Hue next season to focus on coaching full-time, as opposed to last year, he’ll have a normal off-season to get Carson and the WR’s in-synch and work with Trgovac on Defense.

This would also allow the new front-office to properly evaluate Hue and the players on this team and see what direction we need to go if it doesn’t work out.

Obviously with the understanding that Hue has to buy in, he’s a coach not a GM, that’s where his future lies and if he’s a smart man he will acknowledge that working with those guys and bringing back the Raiders to the playoffs is his best path to a long, successful career as a Head Coach.

• Raidernationdave

GG Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 7:49 pm

There are reports surfacing that Hue Jackson has informed Mark Davis he is relieved of ownership of the Raiders and that he is taking over immediately without the consent of the 31 other NFL owners, citing that the late Al Davis spoke to him in a dream last night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hehehehe

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

way too much overreaction to hue’s comments. All he said was he wanted input and to have a role in the process. He wants a gm that shares his vision, all coaches want that. he never said give me final authority or else.

Hue is cocky but he isnt a fool. he will accept what ever they tell him, he doesnt want to lose his gig.

Besides if he is the coach that gets us back into the playoffs look how that bolsters his resume.

Some of you are letting your personal dislike for hujack ta take his comments way out of context.

• mcfadden20.

Bring in a GM… Bring in new DC who knows how to build a successful D or atleast who can stop 98 yard n 99.5 yard drives when season is only the line , keep Hue n let him focus on O n not worried about horrible D = 2012 CODE BLACK

• FreddieB

I see a lot of people posting that they would like to see E Wolf as the personnel guy in there with Reggie as GM. I would as well, but is that just something on our wish list or has the organization said something along those lines?

• mcfadden20.

RaidingTexas Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    Chris In NY Says:

———————————–

—-

Losing starting QB for half season n losing star RB for more than half the season with OK receivers that were in n out of the lineup most of the season n with D that went from average last year to horrible this year n you could say we Hue got us 8 wins out of 14 games because u can count two games for trying to get Palmer accustomed to our O

• Raider-in-PA

DMAC:

I WILL be in Oakland next year for a game since I missed out this season… I’ll take you up on that puff, puff, pass!! I might throw in a couple extra puffs though…lol

Sh!ttsburgh coming to Oakland next year, I was at the last one, might be the one to see next year too!!

• Raider-in-PA

What a great game that was with Pittsburgh coming off a superbowl win and the lowly Raiders squeaking one out thanks to some key interceptions on Big Ben(-dover)!! I want to see the same sh!t next year!!

• Method To My Madness

Hue is trash

• Raider-in-PA

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:20 am

Although the baby is due July 31st, so who knows if I’ll be able to leave.
    ——————————
    Yes the SteAlers in town next season… Its ironic, I missed out on my Oakland trip this past year since my boy was born in June… Early congrats!! Probably the ONLY good reason to not be able to make it to a Raiders game…

• mark l

Guys:

I’ve read this blog off and on for a while and having witnessed the carnage first hand Sunday wanted to come in with a few points:

1. Our run defense hasn’t been strong since Willie Shaw was here, and even then it was just slightly above average. Even during the AFC Champ runs our D was ok but often benefited from a ball possession offense who kept opponents off the field and forced them to play catch up.

I also think there’s a culture of play in Oakland on that side of the ball of going full speed always (and in the process, vacating your gap and leaving nice cutback lanes for running backs).

Add to this poor tackling, weak pass rush, injured secondary and you end up 29th in the league.

So the new DC needs to understand that this isn’t one season he’s trying to correct, but a decade long lack of sound fundamentals and execution that runs deep within the style of play in Oakland. I’d argue Davis’ tendency to draft speed and strength freaks over smart football players simply added to the problem.

And the new DC needs to be someone who is strong enough to truly lead this change, own it and build a new culture and style of play on that side of the ball.

On the same line regarding Jackson:

I’m biased, I like him. He’s got swagger, attitude, passion and the offense has been 100% more exciting and dynamic since he got here (and flat out better). Could he learn a few things with game management? Absolutely. Could he use some PR advice before his press conferences? Definitely. Did he tend to go for 7 when we needed three and take three when we needed 7? YES!!! But he like whoever the new DC is are walking into an organization who has done things one way, and an unconventional way at that for almost 50 years. Changing this isn’t going to happen over night. And it’s a job that will take multiple people (think strong GM, DC, possibly new scouts, new evaluations of players, etc.). But I think based on the offense he’s put in place here there’s a system that is working we need to keep in place. Is there room for improvement on offense? Of course, but I think we lose more by changing this than sticking with it and addressing the weaknesses on the line, getting the TE more involved and determining whether we stick with McFadden or move on.

Remember: Gruden came in here, inherited Bugle’s team which was horrible. Started out 7-3 and went 1-5 rest of his first season. Second year was seesaw where we stayed around .500 til the end.

It wasn’t until Gruden was in year 3, had guys who fit what he wanted, continuity on the offensive line, his QB, etc. that we turned the corner. Jackson does not have Tim Brown, does not have Bruce Allen, does not have Russell Maryland, Eric Allen, Eric Turner, Greg Biekert (well maybe as a coach).

So I’m hoping we keep Jackson and Saunders, hire a true DC (we need to shoot for what Baltimore and Pittsburgh have in terms of a defensive culture) and hire a GM who can keep Jackson focused and take some of the pressure off of him. And that GM needs to really understand the cap and be able to communicate with the players the importance of cap friendly contracts (a huge upside on Bruce Allen’s part).

Couple other things:

DHB is a stud, that guy has an energy, motor and drive that is absolutely electric out there.

Palmer: He played well, but I’m a bit concerned he may too easily point fingers when the going gets rough.

Campbell: Based on the above, keep him close just in case. Seems like the players still like him a lot.

McFadden: Time for a heart to heart about restructuring.

But at the end of the day, we are so much better off than where we were just three years ago. And we need some continuity where things are working. So I hope they give Hue and his O-crew one more year.

• Pingback: owners insurance claims