Raiders interviewing GM candidate today

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 at 11:21 am in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders owner Mark Davis isn’t wasting any time in finding a general manager to fill the power vacuum created by the death of his father in early October.
Davis reportedly intends to interview Green Bay Packers director of football operations Reggie McKenzie today, according to the Chicago Sun Times.
McKenzie was hired by Ron Wolf in 1994 as a pro scout, and he has worked his way up over the past 18 years. Wolf once worked for the Raiders under Al Davis. He is advising Mark Davis on football matters in the interim, along with former Raiders coach John Madden and former Raiders personnel man Ken Herock.
Late last year, Wolf issued a glowing recommendation of McKenzie as a general manager candidate.
“Reggie’s a tremendous evaluator,” McKenzie told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “He can tell you who can play and who can’t play. That’s what it’s all about. Some can write reports but can’t tell you who can play. Whatever that is, he has that. He has a feel.”
McKenzie, 48, played in the NFL for seven seasons, including four for the Los Angeles Raiders from 1985-88.
League rules stipulate that McKenzie can be interviewed but not hired until the Packers are done playing this season. Therefore, Davis might have to wait until early February before hiring McKenzie, who is considered the front-runner.
There also is speculation that McKenzie might bring along Eliot Wolf, Ron Wolf’s son, if he gets hired by the Raiders. The younger Wolf is an assistant director of player personnel for the Packers.
Raiders coach Hue Jackson said in a radio interview Tuesday night that he is looking forward to working with a general manager who thinks along his lines.
“I really want to work on conjunction with someone who shares the same vision,” Jackson said on NFL Sirius radio. “I know whoever Mark decides to bring in to the organization will have the same vision because my vision is winning, and winning championships.
“I don’t have any other vision or any other ego. My whole thing is about winning and whatever it takes to win. Do I want to make sure I have an idea and have some input on who I put on a team? Yes. But at the end of the day, if the chain of command starts with the GM when it comes to those decisions, I’m fine with that, too.”
A Raiders official told beat writer Jerry McDonald earlier this morning that he didn’t have any comment on the Sun Times report.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• DMAC

Thanx for the late ass news

• J Hill

We play Defense now!
    lol

——————————————————-

Even you had to laugh at that.

• hwnrdr

Right?

• http://0 Bob Marley

Best case scenario as of now, for me:

GM: Reggie McKenzie.

Personnel: Elliot Wolf.

HC: Hue Jackson.

DC: Mike Trgovac.

Give Hue next season to focus on coaching full-time, as opposed to last year, he’ll have a normal off-season to get Carson and the WR’s in-synch and work with Trgovac on Defense.

This would also allow the new front-office to properly evaluate Hue and the players on this team and see what direction we need to go if it doesn’t work out.

Obviously with the understanding that Hue has to buy in, he’s a coach not a GM, that’s where his future lies and if he’s a smart man he will acknowledge that working with those guys and bringing back the Raiders to the playoffs is his best path to a long, successful career as a Head Coach.

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    Certainly not a decade.

Just the fact that their is a timeline at all in hilarious to me.

The ole one eyebrow raised thing is just in you, lol.
    +++++++++++++++++

I am a natural born cynic when it come to my sports teams fo sho.

• MikieG

My 10 Second interview..

“Are you Reggie McKenzie?”

‘-Yes-’

“Welcome Aboard…”

• J Hill

——————————————————-

That’s more like it, Hue.

Get ready to fall in line.

• RaidingTexas

DMAC Says:

Thanx for the late ass news

————————–

It’s not a breaking news site.

• DMAC

J Hill Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:24 am

We play Defense now!
    lol

——————————————————-

Even you had to laugh at that.
    =======

J, We really do though.
    Compared to the Nelly days.
    we’re not great on D, but we’re working on it.
    I think the players are buying into Mark J.
    We’ll split the season series w/ the Fakers. That’s fasho!

• Dakota

++++++++++++++

No one ever said Hue was dumb lol. Looks like he is at least now saying the right things outwardly.

• Stick Em again

It’s great to see us moving quickly, vs. seasons passed. I def like Mckenzie, too bad we have to wait until the end of Green Bay’ season to make an offer. Really worried about Green Bay making a counter offer.

• http://ggeden.wordpress.com/ GG

MikieG Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    My 10 Second interview..

“Are you Reggie McKenzie?”

‘-Yes-’

“Welcome Aboard…”

——–

haha, very good.

• oldschoolraider

Well spoken Hue…

Now stop your grinnin and drop your linen.

• downsouthraider

Welcome back to da Nation Reggie…..in advance

• fingers

One of Hues rookie HC problems is he tends to talk before he thinks…I think he’ll learn to back off …

• mcfadden20.

Mcfadden20. Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:36 am
    RaidingTexas Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    Chris In NY Says:

Hue took this offense from a 12 ppg unit to a 26 ppg unit in his first season here despite suspect talent almost across the board that year (excluding RB)

———————————–

I’ve repeatedly stated here that the main reason for the increase in 2010 was the cutting of Jamarcus Russell and nearly a full season of Darren McFadden. Please offer valid arguments as to why those two reasons alone would not take you from 5-11 to 8-8.

Despite your dislike of Jason Campbell, he was a huge upgrade over a purple drank, half-asleep piece of crap fat fk.

If anything, we should question why Hue wasn’t able to get more than three extra wins out of those two factors.

—-

Losing starting QB for half season n losing star RB for more than half the season with OK receivers that were in n out of the lineup most of the season n with D that went from average last year to horrible this year n you could say we Hue got us 8 wins out of 14 games because u can count two games for trying to get Palmer accustomed to our O

• UCSBPreMedMike

Remember that banner we use to always see during out losing years, “Return to Glory!”

…Time to dust that thing off!

• UCSBPreMedMike

I wonder what GB is feeling right now?! haha!

• BornInOakland

would love to have this guy in the front office. But why would he leave Green Bay to come here?

• kp

I think Mckenzie will come to Oakland ,he wants to be his own man and run the show. Hopefully he will bring Ron wolf’s son with him. The more guys who have a good eye for talent can only help the raiders . Besides ,a recommendation from Ron wolf means a lot.

• ghostraiders

19… maybe because we need a GM in Oakland and al davis is dead.. this is a storied franchise. … great passed… oh yea and I almost forgot…..$$$$$$$$$..

• ghostraiders

I doubt greenbay wants him as their future GM. … They would have already made a move to keep him..

• 303Raider

That sounds great!! The quicker we can get a GM so HueJax can focus on the offense we are well on our way baby!

We gave up the 2nd most point in Raiders Franchise history last year with 433 points!!!

That is the ONLy reason we did not make the playoffs. All of Hue moves actually saved our ass and put us in position to win the West.

Just a middle of the pack Defense next year and we go 10-6 or 11-5, easy. Just look at Houston with their new D coordinator.

• DKnight007

# Bob Marley Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:25 am

Best case scenario as of now, for me:

GM: Reggie McKenzie.

Personnel: Elliot Wolf.

HC: Hue Jackson.

DC: Mike Trgovac.

^^^^^^^^
    Trgovac should be a solid pick as the DC, however, once again, we need the right pieces and players to switch to a 3-4.

I would like to see Del Rio or Spagnolo hired as DC for sure if they stick to a 4-3.

Del Rio is a Raider also!

• DKnight007

Would love to see Mckenzie AND Wolf come in a package deal!

That would be fantastic!

• beach

I will say this one more time about Hue: I trust that deep down he thought this team would get to the playoffs. After our miracle win in KC, I thought we would too. I have no problem with Hue blasting the defense after the game. It was a very emotional season for the Raider Nation, and the guy lost it. I can respect a man who shows emotions! I bet he wanted to kick Chuck B’s a s s, like the rest of us!

• RaiderSam

Sounds good that they are moving the GM search process along before the cutoff time of the playoffs…they will not be able to sign one until the end of the teams playoff run (and Philbin will interview for KC, and another GB front office member declined to interview for an opening.

another coach worth vetting if McKenzie moves on from Hue;

“”(Panthers offensive coordinator) Rob Chudzinski is one of the brightest young coaches in football. He understands personnel. He understands schemes. And he knows how to adjust his scheme to his personnel. He’s a rising star. I’ve been tracking him since he was at Miami — I was really impressed with him then, and he’s continued to grow under some of the best in the game. I wouldn’t trade our head coach for anyone, but if we needed one, he’d be the first guy I’d bring in. After what he did for Cam (Newton) this year, he’d be the first guy I’d bring in if I were in Jacksonville.”"
    Source; Pro Football Weekly

• RaiderSam

Beach Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:48 pm

=======

Anyone think Hue over-estimated the resolve and will of the players and they just “checked out” on him? Having not been in the race for so many years may have just not clicked in November, and simply extended into December.

• dirtyfivethirty

I see Hue finally realized he was over-steppin his bounds, and decided to change his tone quick! You don’t get more “power” if your team doesn’t isn’t performing at a top level, which the Raiders didn’t- not to mention the “best trade in football history” that cost your team at least a 1st and 2nd round pick, and didn’t pan out-I say this bcuz WE DIDN’T GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read he wanted more power ARE YOU KIDDIN ME, YOU HAD POWER AFTER AL DIED, AND IT DIDN’T HELP THE RAIDERS, MAYBE HUE’S EGO BUT DEFINATELY NOT THE RAIDERS. I hope what he meant was that he got stuck with Chucky B and had he had more of a say, he would’ve never had Chucky B as his DC. Anyway Hue gets 1 more year to prove himself, and if he doesn’t get it done in 2012 he’s gone. Hue’s bad decisions cost us at least a game or 2 this year. Thats a fact. BRING IN REGGIE. HUE NEEDS SOMEBODY LOOKIN OVER HIS SHOULDERTHAT HE HAS TO ANSWER TO.HE HAD MORE POWER HERE THAN HE WOULD’VE HAD ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE AND IT DIDN’T WORK OUT TOO WELL. IS HE REALLY THAT MUCH OF AN EGO MANIAC? TO BE HONEST I THINK HE LOST HIS LOCKERROOM A LONG TIME AGO.’ THIS TEAM DIDN’T PLAY WITH HALF THE HEART THEY DID IN 2011-I THINK WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THAT.