1,081

Jackson regrets comments from final game news conference

One day after being fired as the Raiders head coach, Hue Jackson is in full spin-control mode.
On Wednesday, Jackson took to the air to give his side about comments he made minutes after his team’s season-ending loss to the San Diego Chargers, in which he said he wanted more control over the team and blamed his players for their play against the Chargers.
It’s interesting to note that new general manager Reggie McKenzie said Tuesday at his introductory news conference that Jackson’s comments after the Chargers game had “nothing to do with” Jackson being fired. He said everyone makes comments that they wish they could take back.
New owner Mark Davis said he didn’t want to comment on Jackson’s postgame remarks Jan. 1. That was the only question that Davis refused to answer, by the way.
Here’s the transcript from Jackson’s interview, courtesy of NFL Network:

On if he was caught off guard by being relieved of his duties by new Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie:
“I was a little surprised, but I do understand the nature of pro football. Sometimes things that look like they should don’t always end up like they should. So I understand. The Raiders did me a favor by giving me an opportunity, Al Davis did and I thank him for it. What a tremendous organization. My time there was awesome, the people at 1220 [Harbor Bay Parkway] who I worked with, they were tremendous – the staff was tremendous. I understand the nature of this business, but obviously I wish it would have went a different direction than it did.”

On how he found out that he would no longer be the head coach of the Raiders:
“[Reggie McKenzie and I] didn’t really get into too many of the details. Reggie was very forthcoming and just said, ‘I’m going to make a change, I need to bring in my own guy,’ which I understand. I knew that anytime a new GM comes in, they like to line themselves with their head coach, somebody that they want to bring in. At the end of the day, I can’t fault him or anyone within the organization for feeling like they feel. I wish the situation was different but it’s not.”

On his news conference following the Raiders’ final game of the season:
“I wish I could it take it back and say it differently so people could really understand what I was trying to say. I wasn’t trying to say that I wanted to take total control of everything. When you work for the Raiders, you understand that Al Davis is first and foremost – you work for him. So I didn’t get an opportunity to put everybody that I wanted on my staff or run the team to do with football operations the way that I see fit. I took the job and I knew the parameters of the job, and I accepted that. At the end, what was coming out of me was the emotion of a long season, being 8-8, losing to the Chargers with so much riding on the line: the opportunity to win the AFC West, to host a playoff game there at home, the opportunity to have the first nine-win season since 2002. I went and talked to the team, and what I normally do is I go in and take a shower and put on my clothes before I go see the media. I carried some things with me and that’s a lesson learned for me that I don’t think you can go in there [immediately]. You need to settle down first and really think through what you’re saying. But what I said is what I felt. Not that I was trying to say I wanted to run everything; I just wanted to be able to feel like I knew there were some changes that needed to be made and I wanted to be able to make them, and I was trying to voice that. Not take total control or anything like that.”

On any conversations he had with Mark Davis over the past couple of days:
“I didn’t talk to Mark [before the decision was made]. I have not talked to Mark. Mark is a good man and I have spent a lot of time ever since the night that Coach [Al Davis] died; the person that told me was Mark – he came to my room and informed me of what had happened to Coach. I haven’t had an opportunity to speak to him. I did text him and tell him thank you for the opportunity and to thank him and his family, and I wish him well. But at the end of the day, like I said he’s the owner and he’s going to make the decision of which direction the franchise runs and I have to accept that.”

On the Raiders down the stretch of the regular season:
“We didn’t finish; it’s a term that I’ve always used. We didn’t play as well as we could have down the stretch, and again that’s what I was feeling after that San Diego game. We had so many opportunities, whether it was going to Miami, going to Green Bay, finishing at home against Detroit, went to Kansas City and then here comes San Diego. We weren’t able to get it done and I don’t have an excuse for that. At the end of the day, that’s my charge: to make sure that we do [get it done], and we didn’t. I know we played decently on offense, we didn’t play as well as we could or should on defense and the players know that. They own up to that and they respect that. But at the end of the day we just didn’t finish. When you don’t finish this is what happens: you end up 8-8 and you end up out of the playoffs.”

On if he wants to coach in 2012:
“There is no doubt I do. I love coaching, I love leading men and coaching guys. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen, but I’m going to take a couple of days to just relax and then let the chips fall where they may. There is a place out there for me someplace and I think I’ll find it.”

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Raider Head Coaching hiring their own staffs???? Really different!

It allows everyone to have skin in the game.

• GoodOle00

Palmer is the best QB since Gannon and maybe, even better than Gannon who was a system passer.

We found that out against the Bucs.

• http://0 Bob Marley

Take a look at the people being hired these days…

Mike Mularkey and Romeo Crennel are good Coaches getting 2nd chances, but hardly exciting choices.

Gruden will bid his time and come back for a ton of money in a couple of years and it won’t be here, maybe to replace Garrett in Dallas.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dakota Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Palmer is not perfect.

But quit biotching about him unless you can name an available QB that we can realistically get who is better than him..

Other than those who are delusional and think Jason Campbell is a better QB that Carson Palmer, can anyone name a QB we can get for 2012 that is better than Palmer?

Anyone? Anyone?
    ——————————————
    Ask Reggie McKenzie.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

RaiderDebo Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

1033.KoolKell Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:32 pm
    Carson Palmer is a nice passer, not a winner.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Can’t say I’m at all comfortable with Carson in a two-minute/clutch situation. Would have my eyes closed worried about a pick or watching him slide a yard short of the 1st down marker like he did agaisnt Denver. In clutch situations, I’d much rather have JC. Hell, I’d rather see Jamarcus in those situations.
    ==============

i have to agree with you guys on this, i held my breath every time he dropped back to pass!!! he sucked in two minute offense, see the botched end of half feild goal attempt when we were already in jano’s range.

The guy has a million dollar arm and a 50 cent head

• Seymour Bush

Dakota Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Palmer is not perfect.

Anyone? Anyone?
    =================================================

There isn’t any. And we got him for a bargain price. No one has answered me the question I keep posing which is how much would it cost to get Eli Manning right now?
    Watching Palmer play every game, most of them live, he was everything you would want from an overall number one. As the season wore on his protection faded a bit. If we keep the playmakers we have, and build up the interior of line, Carson Palmer is absolutely the least of our worries.

• ghostraiders

Guys,like misty eyes will never accept Palmer because he’s the one who replaced j Campbell. .. who will be outta here very soon. .. I would take Palmer any day over Campbell. . He stinks… let it go already misty eyes…let it go.. Reggie already said Palmer will be our qb going Into this offseason.. he never even mentioned your boyfriend. .Campbell as a possibility. .lol

• lefty12

MR used to come here every day and every night spewing his hatred towards Al Davis.Now we have this bigot who comes here every day and night doing the same thing with our QB.Pathetic.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

GoodOle00 Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:44 pm
    1037. Wouldn’t put a bid for Matt Flynn past Mac. Not a bad move for a back up, but in FA Flynn’s going to command starter prices.

===========================================

And are you getting Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Cassel, Scott Mitchell, or Kevin Kolb? It’s a huge unknown.

• RaiderDebo

1047.Seymour Bush Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    RaiderDebo Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Can’t say I’m at all comfortable with Carson in a two-minute/clutch situation.
    ==========================================

The Palmer led Raiders were the best two minute end of the lst half team in the league last year. Get your info right.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Was talking about the end of the game, not halftime. But since you brought it up, you must be talking about the SD game, right? You know, the one where victory meant the playoffs? LOL!!

• GoodOle00

I can recall Palmer making great drives and scoring TDs to put us ahed with time waning in the 4th quarter only to see our D give up 90+ yd TD drives to lose the game

Palmer’s fine.

• aig-raiders

I think the Raiders is a famous franchise and great location that many coaches would love to work here. They were just afraid of having Al meddling with them in the past. Now that Al is gone. Dont be surprised at how many quality candidates try to get the job here.

1. A storied franchise. We aint Detroit.
    2. Good living location. This aint Detroit.
    3. Good roster of offensive talents. It is much better coming knowing you only need to fix one side of the ball.

• hwnrdr

I hate to say it but I held my breath everytime Campbell dropped back to pass as well…

• GoodOle00

1060. So What? Wasn’t Palmers fault we lost to SD. The D never even forced a PUNT!

• boss01

1044.Dakota Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    Palmer is not perfect.

Anyone? Anyone?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Some People here want Matt Flynn (Kolb & Cassell 2.0) to come in based on a two game sample… Carson is who he is, a gun slinger, much like Favre will chuck it and get it picked every once in a while, but unless you can trade Carson for Peyton Manning, there is nobody else available in that category and no JC is not in his category sorry to disappoint.

• Dakota

new post

• RaiderRetribution

trade the farm to get RGIII?

• ghostraiders

The same people who are thrashing Palmer now are the ones who dissapeared for a few weeks during our winning streak…they don’t give an alternative to Palmer because They Do t have one… its only the hatred they have for Palmer… except debo. . He nominates jablubber to make his awesome comeback to the silver n black..Lmao. .

• RaiderRetribution

Peyton might just be available via free agency.

Indy has a one million buyout clause.

• RaiderRetribution

speaking of buyout clauses;

Corkran stated yesterday the Raiders have out clauses on Wimbley, Huff, & McClain; Raiders need to implement those if there are no trade partners or restructured contracts.

As for Seymour, Routt, & Kelley we do not have any out clauses.

• luvmarvhub

J. Hill,

Tell me how you could actually prevent “that gangster crap” from attending Raider games in LA?

You can’t stop anyone with the money from buying a ticket (unless you’ve proof they are a security threat.)

I seriously doubt that a new stadium in LA could be sold out with only season ticket holders. (One reason for wanting a new stadium is to increase the seating capacity.)

Even if, in a dream world, a franchise could sell out to only season ticket holders, there’d be plenty of scalpers who’d sell to anyone for a buck.

You think gangstas wouldn’t flock to that place? It would only take a few problems in the beginning to prevent people from buying season tickets, and LA would be back to blackouts, the kiss of death to a franchise.

If Mark is interested in the long-term health of the Raiders, it’s out of state or here, not LA.

• RaiderRetribution

“That’s a loaded question,” Jackson said. “It’s not about competition. One thing you must know about me is I am going to play the best guy.

regarding qb’s Palmer & Campbell

[copy/pasted from cct's competition]

Reggie McKenzie at the press conference; there will be competition at every position.

• ElkGRaider

You dont know very much about football do you? You dont need to have the qb run often, a handful of called runs will do the job in the spread option. Just enough to present a threat keep the defense in base formation and open passing lanes. Cam doesnt have run plays called 15 times a game, only 3-4 times a game. That way when he puts the ball i the running backs belly the defense must honor the fact that cam might keep it. most of cams running yards are scrambling yards.
    =====================
    Ooooooooooooh…so they only run “3-4″ times a game. We just want them to be a thrrrrrrrrreeeeeat to run. I see. Im sure defenses wont adjust to THAT awe inspiring offense…

Sarcasm…obviously (anybody else gonna miss saying that word?).

• RaiderRetribution

Palmer will be traded to Seattle, if the Raiders can either resign Campbell or Flynn.

• luvmarvhub

Of course, if Mark is interested in sell-outs in LA and of ridding the franchise of the gangsta followers, he could resurrect the feather logo of the old Buccaneers, perhaps placing it on the side opposite the Pirate and eye patch, and he could change the colors from silver and black to white and sherbet, the old Buc’s colors, or maybe to pink and white, or lavender and white, or perhaps best yet, to a rainbow of colors.

Then, market to gays and lesbians, perfect for the Hollywood, West Hollywood, SoCal liberal progressive set.

The gay guys would love watching the players. Lesbians would love the football. They’d have THEIR TEAM, and the 2.5-4.0% of gay Americans would have their first major sports franchise marketed for them.

It’s worked for lots of cruise ship lines–marketing all gay cruises with Rosie and such.

Gays from all over America would probably buy LA Raider tickets in the heartland of gay American, California.

You never know. It would certainly take care of the the problem of gangstas wanting to be associated with the Raiders.

LOL.

• luvmarvhub

Addendum: what used to be called the Dinah Shore Classic in Rancho Mirage, a lady’s tournament, has been for years now an annual meeting place for lesbians. They come from all over the country. It began since it’s estimated that about 1 out of 4 LPGA golfers is a lesbian.

We used to go there until it became overwhelming. Straights, it seems, are the minority there, so maybe I am wrong when I said that “the 2.5-4% of gay Americans would have their first major sports franchise” if the Raiders went Rainbow.

• qodrn1

Who won the MUP?

• doriangray

hue said the right things

• Pingback: jogo mais dificil do mundo

• Pingback: london backpacking, backpacking london, backpacker london, london backpacker, backpackers london, london backpackers

• Pingback: how to stop coughing