Moss says he’s all ears when it comes to Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 6:35 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders linebacker Winston Moss said Monday that he is willing to listen to Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie if he is interested in him for the team’s coaching vacancy.
“If the Raiders were to call and ask, I’ll be ready to speak with them,” Moss told the Associated Press, one day after the Packers were eliminated from the NFC Playoffs by the New York Giants. “But nothing’s changed from last week. I feel good where I’m at. If there’s an opportunity that comes up in the future, we’ll probably cross that bridge at that time. But at this present time, right now, not a lot to talk about.”
Moss is the assistant head coach of the Packers. He also coaches the inside linebackers.
He spent four of his 11 NFL seasons as a player on the Raiders. He still has fond memories of those days.
“At the time, Al Davis was there, Art Shell was my coach,” Moss said. “And we had good times. I had some of my better times as a player in the National Football League with the Raiders. Whatever I’ve taken from the past with the Raiders, and Al Davis not being there anymore, you’ve got to say going forward that it’s going to be different.
“It’s going to be different from the standpoint of, Reggie wants to go in a new direction, so I’ll sit down and speak with Reggie to get his vision, what direction he wants the organization to go in. That’s going to play a lot in to it.”
As I reported earlier today, McKenzie has said in the past that he would hire Moss as his head coach if he got the opportunity.
That opportunity came when the Raiders hired McKenzie last Tuesday, with owner Mark Davis giving McKenzie sole authority to hire the head coach.
Moss said he already has a firm grasp of what he wants to do if he gets a head coaching job.
“There’s always opportunities to put yourself in the same position as a head coach would and see how you would do things or what you would change or what you would add or what you would take away,” Moss said. “So with that being said, I’ve done that, I feel good about the vision, the goals, the beliefs that can be instilled within an organization that would give me the opportunity to be a head coach.”
In other news, ESPN reports that fired Raiders coach Hue Jackson will interview with the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday about their offensive coordinator vacancy.
Jackson filled that role with the Raiders in 2010 before he was promoted to replace the fired Tom Cable as head coach in 2011. Jackson will interview with recently hired Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• Dakota

Why does our GM have to go to Denver to interview HC candidates?

That’s some fked up schyt right there.

I could see flying to wherever Cowher lives, or Gruden, but having to kowtow to Denver coordinators?

Really?

Come on man!

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

LA
    I wish they would just get it done. Who ever it is. Tired of waiting.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Maybe he wanted to do to Denver. Might have friends there and making a trip out of it. Who knows?

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Sorry….go to Denver

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Would you want to bring guys in house where Herrea is spinning Mark Davis around in his dads chair to interview coaches? I would rather go to them as well.

• MiamiRaider78

What’s up DonMan!?!

How much is Gruden making a year at ESPN?

634.bcz24 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    with the number one overall pick that cut is an easy decision for me.
    **************
    Cutting Peyton is an easy decision for you? Seriously? What if Jacksonville signs him, and he beats you twice a year for the next 3-4 years because you made that ‘easy’ decision… What to do with Peyton Manning is the hardest decision ANY GM (much less a rookie in Grigson) will have to face this year. Quite possibly one of the hardest decisions EVER in the NFL.

++++++++++++++++

This is a no-brainer. Trade Manning for a first rounder to a team on the cusp….49ers, Jets…Draft Luck, draft some D, and move on with another decade of good QBing.

Love Manning, but he hasn’t won a championship for you for 6 years and he is old and injured. Move on, move forward, don’t look back.

• raiderzmaverick

If McKenzie really already has made up a pretty firm mind about hiring Moss, then it’s a good thing that he’s still looking at other things and getting around in his interviews.

Who knows, maybe someone else inspires him and he goes away from that original plan.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Dont know. But it beats the hours he was putting in being a coach.

• BewareofRaiders

It takes that long to hire coaches? As long as we get a better Defense coordinator than idc who the HC is. Our offense can be good regardless whose coaching it because of our talent on it. Now defense that is a different story we need players that actually has heart and that hunger to play smash mouth football no more lazy a$$es

655.DonManoukiansNeighbor Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    +++++++++

LMFAO….good point.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

raiderzmaverick Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

bcz24 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I’m surprised Jackson’s not getting more HC interviews…he obviously did such a good job here.
    ************************
    Terminated HCs very rarely get interviews for HC in the same year they were termed. I honestly can’t think of ANY examples of a HC that was fired, and got a HC interview the same year.
    ==============================
    I can only think of one…John Fox in Denver (was axed in Carolina)

===========================================

Also Steve Mariucci (SF to Detroit) and Eric Mangini (NYJ to Cleveland in what SI termed “The Worst Coaching Hire Ever”).

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

And I almost forgot Tony Dungy going from TB to Indy.

• Dakota

I don’t like the Cowgirls owner, but he made a good point when asked a couple of years ago about hiring one of the big name HCs, like Gruden or Cowher…..he said no HC has ever won a SB with one team, then moved on and won another with a new team.

I think that is true….

• Silverandblack666

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Dakota Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I think that is true….

============================================

The closest was Weeb Ewbank, whose Colts won the 1958 NFL Championship, and who then coached the 1968 Jets to their Super Bowl III win.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

I personally would like to see Gruden come back. I think he had a good eye for talent or a least knew how to get the most out of a player and working with their strengths. Would Gannon have been an MVP with KC? Or would he have continued to get bench for Elvis?

667.DonManoukiansNeighbor Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    ______________

I was so pissed when KC benched Gannon for Elvis in the playoffs and then lost to Denver, who went on to win the SB.

I fkn HATE DENVER more than any other franchise. By far!

• edward teach

After lol

• mack-madden

Silverandblack666 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:26 pm

$$$$$$$$$$

LOL.

FAIL. even tho you are pretty good at it.

try again next thread

My hate list as of 1-17-12:

Broncos
    Chiefs
    Chargers
    Patriots
    Steelers
    Seahawks

Don’t have the hate for the 49ers that you Bay Area guys have….

• daraider09

Chris in NY Says:
    January 16th, 2012 at 7:21 pm
    I happen to think TK is far better than most in here give him credit for. Guy has led the league in sacks from the DT position over the last two seasons. I also think the run D issues are more on the linebackers, especially McClain. Never see TK getting blown off the ball. Quite the opposite actually. Not uncommon to see him blowing a guard into the backfield.

Curious to see what McKenzie and co. think. I think TK stays. Seymour too. I think McClain is 50/50 to make it.
    ********************************************
    I agree with this about TK. I think he is a very powerful player, that is tough to play against. I read an article once that said opposing offensive linemen consider him as one of the toughest DTs to block in the league. Also look up the 2011 article from Pro Football Focus on who the ideal 3 technique DT is in the league. None other than Tommy Kelly.

But at the same time, I think Seymour had a down year for his expectations.

I would caution against the notion to get rid of McClain. I also have been disappointed with the guy, but remember when Morrison and Howard were scapegoated for our run defensive woes?

Well look where we are 2 years later. Different players, different coaches: same results. Worst run defense in NFL.

I am of the opinion that the artocious run defense has always been a scheme issue for the raiders. Mainly because Davis’ simplistic principles just dont cut it anymore. We need a great DC.

I am very disappointed Mike Nolan got hired by ALT. He was #1 on my list for DC. Hopefully we can get a proven DC that can turn things around here once and for all.
    I would prefer 3-4, but I guess I wouldn’t be too upset if it is 4-3 if it someone like Spags or Del Rio. At least they have a track record of 4-3 success.

• edward teach

Jerry Jones is like the Chargers. Impossible to take seriously.

• MiamiRaider78

I still hate Buffalo for that AFC championship game, 51-3. I was a kid when I watched it and I was distraught for a month.

• Dakota

Jerry Jones is like a retarded version of Al Davis.

Thank god Jerry isn’t our owner.

Mark is at least smart enough to get the hell out of the way.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

I fkn HATE DENVER more than any other franchise. By far!
    —————————————————
    I’m with you. I hate the Broncos more then any other team.

• Dakota

Oh, I hate Buffalo too….despised them back in the day.

Revised hate list as of 1-17-12…2:40 pm:

Broncos
    Chiefs
    Chargers
    Patriots
    Steelers
    Bills
    Seahawks

• BewareofRaiders

Spags back with waufle would make our defense better. Imo wayyyy better than bresnahans defense

• mack-madden

the issue with tommy kelly for me was his lack of hustle.

i use to think he played better at DE than at DT.

he still leaves a lot of plays out there still, but he really hustled the second half of this season.

I think he stays, but we need a real tru run stuffer next to him.

Seymour played way too may snaps the past two years, his body just cant handle it. he should have been rotated in on passing downs, but at that salary you would expect him to be a every down lineman

• MiamiRaider78

Compounded by Bo Jacksons injury. I also hate that song by Michelle Branch and Santana called The game of love, sung during the halftime show of the Superbowl-Raiders/Bucs.

• Dakota

Seymour + Kelly at DT + Slowlando McLazy at MLB + Safeties who take bad angles = Dogggggg Schyttttttt Run D

• MiamiRaider78

I also hate “guys” that drive mini-coopers. Thats all.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Broncos
    Chiefs
    Chargers
    Patriots
    Steelers
    Seahawks

Don’t have the hate for the 49ers that you Bay Area guys have….

***

Add 49ers, subtract Seachix. Move KC to #1 on the list !!

681.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    ++++++++++++++

The only time in my life suicide crossed my mind….driving home from a SB party in Omaha, NE, hell, it wasn’t even after, I think I left in the 3rd quarter….thought it would be nice to just take off my seatbelt and do some 90 mph off roadin’….right into an overpass or something.

• MiamiRaider78

Revised hate list as of 1-17-12…2:40 pm:

lmao

Make it official!

• Silverandblack666

“I am of the opinion that the artocious run defense has always been a scheme issue for the raiders. Mainly because Davis’ simplistic principles just dont cut it anymore. ”

That same exact defense is working well for the New York Giants team!

Of course they have the horses to make it work.

Sloppy tackling, the inability to shed blocks, missed gap assignments and guys taking bad angles are the problems with our defense. I blame coaching for not addressing these issues and the players commitment to learn these basic fundamentals.

• daraider09

Hate list:
    Broncos/Patriots
    Chiefs
    Chargers
    49ers
    Steelers
    Jets, but mainly because they annoy me. Theres not much passion there tho.

You might say I hate the Patriots the most considering they are tied with a built in rival, the Broncos.

I hate the Patriots with so much passion…every ounce of my body.

***

Dakota,

according to 99.9% of bloggers, Chuck B inherited the 2000 Ravens Defense

what gives ???

• Dakota

I hate the Cowboys more than the 49ers….used to go for the 49ers when they were going up against the Cowgirls in the playoffs in the early to mid 1990s.

• mack-madden

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    I also hate “guys” that drive mini-coopers. Thats all.

$$$$$$$$$$

you ever drove one?

i did once. didnt hate it.

it felt like i was driving a super charged go kart.

felt like real life mario kart.

wanted to start heaving shells and bananas at other drivers…

690.RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

***

Dakota,

according to 99.9% of bloggers, Chuck B inherited the 2000 Ravens Defense

what gives ???
    +++++++++++++++++

It is amazing what some people’s eyes show them….like last year, “Hey if only we could eliminate the long TD runs our run D is great!”….as if the long TD runs didn’t count lol.

• MiamiRaider78

Dakota Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    681.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    ++++++++++++++

……………………………………………….
    It was like watching a party then leaving a funeral. Worst day ever for me as a Raider fan.

Jerry Jones is like the Chargers. Impossible to take seriously.

Jerry Jones is like a retarded version of Al Davis.

I also hate “guys” that drive mini-coopers. Thats all.

***

LOL!

• MarcusAllen

No Moss… No Capers… Please!

Take note – no other team is mentioned or asking Moss or Capers in for an interview.

If the new HC is going to be able to make his own hires, let’s hope McKenzie gets it right and gives the guy time to build the right team of coaches. One guy can’t do it all – needs to get the right coaches in place and ensure everyone does their part or get someone who can.

I’d take Bowles, Carmichael or Allen.

Sounds simple right ?

• RaiderLen

Opposing coaches I hated.

Shanahan
    Schottenheimer
    Coryell
    Red Miller
    Chuck Knoll
    Chuck Knox

• mack-madden

there was one blogger on here who would always say about our run defense:

“we were GASHED… GASHED i tell you !!!”

• MiamiRaider78

Mack-Madden

LMAO

I’ll whoop you up in some Mario Kart!

***

Dakota,

Stan Routt played like a Pro Bowler in 5 or 6 games this year. definately worth the money!

bwahahahahahah