Moss says he’s all ears when it comes to Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 6:35 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders linebacker Winston Moss said Monday that he is willing to listen to Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie if he is interested in him for the team’s coaching vacancy.
“If the Raiders were to call and ask, I’ll be ready to speak with them,” Moss told the Associated Press, one day after the Packers were eliminated from the NFC Playoffs by the New York Giants. “But nothing’s changed from last week. I feel good where I’m at. If there’s an opportunity that comes up in the future, we’ll probably cross that bridge at that time. But at this present time, right now, not a lot to talk about.”
Moss is the assistant head coach of the Packers. He also coaches the inside linebackers.
He spent four of his 11 NFL seasons as a player on the Raiders. He still has fond memories of those days.
“At the time, Al Davis was there, Art Shell was my coach,” Moss said. “And we had good times. I had some of my better times as a player in the National Football League with the Raiders. Whatever I’ve taken from the past with the Raiders, and Al Davis not being there anymore, you’ve got to say going forward that it’s going to be different.
“It’s going to be different from the standpoint of, Reggie wants to go in a new direction, so I’ll sit down and speak with Reggie to get his vision, what direction he wants the organization to go in. That’s going to play a lot in to it.”
As I reported earlier today, McKenzie has said in the past that he would hire Moss as his head coach if he got the opportunity.
That opportunity came when the Raiders hired McKenzie last Tuesday, with owner Mark Davis giving McKenzie sole authority to hire the head coach.
Moss said he already has a firm grasp of what he wants to do if he gets a head coaching job.
“There’s always opportunities to put yourself in the same position as a head coach would and see how you would do things or what you would change or what you would add or what you would take away,” Moss said. “So with that being said, I’ve done that, I feel good about the vision, the goals, the beliefs that can be instilled within an organization that would give me the opportunity to be a head coach.”
In other news, ESPN reports that fired Raiders coach Hue Jackson will interview with the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday about their offensive coordinator vacancy.
Jackson filled that role with the Raiders in 2010 before he was promoted to replace the fired Tom Cable as head coach in 2011. Jackson will interview with recently hired Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• daraider09

Silverandblack666 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:47 pm

That same exact defense is working well for the New York Giants team!

Of course they have the horses to make it work.

Sloppy tackling, the inability to shed blocks, missed gap assignments and guys taking bad angles are the problems with our defense. I blame coaching for not addressing these issues and the players commitment to learn these basic fundamentals.
    *****************************************************
    There’s some merit to that statement, however, how do you explain this lack of success, no matter who the players are, no matter who the coaches are?

We have the same issues every season. Without question.

I dont subscribe to the theory of “bad tackling”. In my opinion, good tackling starts and ends with the players being in position to actually make the tackle. Look at the 49ers players this year. I thought Donte Whitner and Carlos Rodgers were overhyped first round busts? Now look at them with this great coaching they’re getting! They’re making plays!

How else do you explain the 6 foot wide holes in our run defense for backs like Willis McGahee to walk through, every game at leats once per game as far back as anyone can remember!

Same issues every season. I just can’t believe that no matter what players we have it doesnt get better.
    The only common theme is Al Davis’ defense.

I’m ready for a 21st century mind on the defensive side of the ball. That is step 1 to us becoming a consistent franchise.

Remember before the season started when the analysts said how much defensive “talent” we have?

PUT THE PLAYERS IN POSITION TO SUCCEED!

Thats my opinion on the defensive matter that has plagued us all these years.

• RaiderLen

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    Raiders will be interviewing Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Morhinweg for their head coaching vacancy #insideslant
    ————————-
    Someone mentioned Morhinweg.

• Dakota

700.RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    It is amazing what some people’s eyes show them….like last year, “Hey if only we could eliminate the long TD runs our run D is great!”….as if the long TD runs didn’t count

***

Dakota,

Stan Routt played like a Pro Bowler in 5 or 6 games this year. definately worth the money!

bwahahahahahah
    ++++++++++

LMFAO

McClain + Routt

They are who we thought they were!

Right Rockstar?

• mack-madden

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    Mack-Madden

LMAO

I’ll whoop you up in some Mario Kart!

$$$$$$$$$$

you would on the game cube or wii.

but NOT on the nintendo 64 or super nintendo ! ! !

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

January 17th, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    681.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    Compounded by Bo Jacksons injury. I also hate that song by Michelle Branch and Santana called The game of love, sung during the halftime show of the Superbowl-Raiders/Bucs.
    ++++++++++++++

The only time in my life suicide crossed my mind….driving home from a SB party in Omaha, NE, hell, it wasn’t even after, I think I left in the 3rd quarter….thought it would be nice to just take off my seatbelt and do some 90 mph off roadin’….right into an overpass or something.
    ———————————————–

That was a bad Super Bowl. I kept saying all through the playoffs I didn’t want to play them. My wife kicked everyone out of our house during the AFC Championship game against Baltimore.

• Dakota

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, at least Reggie didn’t lie to us….he said he was going to leave no stone unturned in the search for a HC or something like that.

there was one blogger on here who would always say about our run defense:

“we were GASHED… GASHED i tell you !!!”

***

Mack,

probably SnB.

Dakota, ROG & myself annually harping for some big ugly nose tackles. grunts that can’t be moved. do the dirty work

• MiamiRaider78

I know this doesn’t relate to the topic at hand but then again many posts don’t

Not sure what year it was but I was bartending at the Loews Miami Beach in 2004, 2005 maybe before that…I noticed a large dude, who really stood out, wearing a Gannon jersey, shorts and sandals walk in our pool area which is massive. I kept an eye on him until he reached the bar and low and behold it’s Barret Robbins. That same night, or the next he was shot by police on South Beach. Crazy

• Moonbeam

bresnahan d and prevent is multi-faceted and complicated:

*dog schit coverage
    *crap coverage
    *horses ass zone
    *chicken schit tackling
    *fckng roll over
    *no-run d
    *fire at will what do
    *did i mention dog schit, oh yeah, can’t get enough dog schit into the mix, thats for sure.

• Dakota

708.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:00 pm
    I know this doesn’t relate to the topic at hand but then again many posts don’t

+++++++++++++++++

WTF dude, why didn’t you shoot him yourself?

Someone mentioned Morhinweg

***

your boy YA!

some semi pro’s never miss

• PurpleDrank81

Vontaze Burfict is slowly slipping down draft charts due to Alabama LB’s looking so good in the championship game and that Burfict is some what overly crazy but so was this guy who happens to play linebacker named RAY LEWIS…..Burfict has the fire I would want on my squad and if Winston Moss ends up being the coach then I hope we draft this kid… If Big Mac can get us a 2nd round pick Burfict should be there…

• mack-madden

you been preaching for a big space eater run stuffer.

that i do know.

last one was Ted washington?

but that was during the warren sapp debacle.

failed 3-4 def turned 4-3 def after couple games.

i wish terdell sands would have worked out for us…

dude looked like an shrek like ogre in person.

• MiamiRaider78

I’m old school Mack Madden, I play the Nintendo 64! lol That game is more enjoyable with a few drinks and bets on the table.

if Marty Morhinweg can make Vick and Young look like legit passers, he’s gonna crap his pants when he gets a look at Palmer & Pryor in Oakland ….

• MiamiRaider78

I think they would have written me up, Dakota.

• RaiderLen

RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    Someone mentioned Morhinweg

***

your boy YA!

some semi pro’s never miss
    ———————–
    Seriously.

Props to YA.

Some of the semi’s in here do the work I would have done if we had an internet 25 years ago. lol

Really enjoy reading their researched input.

• Dakota

716.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    I think they would have written me up, Dakota.
    +++++++++++++++

I don’t know….sounds like you would have just been a good samaritan…..

• hwnrdr

Growing up with a 9er fan (my dad), I didn’t really dislike them at all…came to teh Bay Area 11 years ago…within 6 months of listening to their BS, I now despise them…

• RaiderLen

RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    ——————————-
    Pryor would definitely benefit.

Palmer could make Marty look reeaally smart.

• FreddieB

705.DonManoukiansNeighbor Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    681.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    ++++++++++++++

———————————————–

—————————————

Still remember that day like it was yesterday. Waited all those years for that. On top of that, a couple of my friends came over and decided to cheer for the Buc’s. They didn’t like the Buc’s, just knew I was a Raider fan and wanted to mess with me. To stupid to know that, given the score, they should leave it alone. Told them to get the f out of my house and haven’t talked to them since.

you been preaching for a big space eater run stuffer.

that i do know.

last one was Ted washington?

but that was during the warren sapp debacle.

failed 3-4 def turned 4-3 def after couple games.

***

Mack,

Ted Washington was 35 years old when he signed with us. We were his 6th NFL team.

Pretty safe to say he was “washed up” in 2004/2005

• Smee

wonder if we are keeping chucky b as a ‘hedge your bet’ kind of move since all the good dc’s are getting signed. maybe management feels hue is to blame for the messed up defense. offense should of stayed on the field longer and not forced the d out there so much. they got tired and bungled the whole plan. tired d not a good thing. offenses fault. offense shoulda kept the ball over 2:1 per game. utter nonsense. can’t expect a tired d to make plays, especially when the schemes dont fit.

• realtruraider

I just heard Mort say on the Mort Report that Mark Trestman could be the next coach for the, wait for it….wait for it…. alright, the Colts.

• mack-madden

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

$$$$$$$$$$

Nintendo64

MARIO KART

OR

GOLDEN EYE

Great for drinking and betting

• hwnrdr

724.realtruraider Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Whew…had me ready to throw something at the comp screen…lol

• ElkGRaider

723.Smee Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:09 pm
    ==================

Anyone have a wrong answer buzzer? This joint needs to upgrade with sounds!!

• RaiderLen

RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:09 pm
    you been preaching for a big space eater run stuffer.

that i do know.

last one was Ted washington?

but that was during the warren sapp debacle.

failed 3-4 def turned 4-3 def after couple games.

***

Mack,

Pretty safe to say he was “washed up” in 2004/2005
    ———————————
    Imagine the glee in here when the Raiders actually field a D that stuffs the run consistently.

The Guys will be Rock Stars.

• Dakota

727.ElkGRaider Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Anyone have a wrong answer buzzer? This joint needs to upgrade with sounds!!

____________________

I don’t know, Jhill and I would be buzzing at each other all day long.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

RaiderLen Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    ————————-
    Someone mentioned Morhinweg.

================================================
    I did. He was a hot mess when he coached the Lions. Not sure what to make of Big Mac interviewing him now. He IS a good coordinator, but I don’t know about him as the head guy.

• RaiderLen

Dakota Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:15 pm
    727.ElkGRaider Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Anyone have a wrong answer buzzer? This joint needs to upgrade with sounds!!

____________________

I don’t know, Jhill and I would be buzzing at each other all day long.
    ——————–
    lol

That does have comedic value however.

• YoungAmerican

Mornhinweg might indeed be a good fit.

Palmer = McNabb five years ago
    Pryor = a very, very, very… very raw version of Vick
    Ford = DeSean Jackson
    DHB = Maclin
    McFadden = McCoy
    Boss = Celek

The Raiders might have a slightly better offensive line, too.

In this case, I wonder if Spagnuolo would be open to the DC opening here since he worked with Mornhinweg in Philly.

• RaiderLen

RaiderDuck Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    RaiderLen Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    ————————-
    Someone mentioned Morhinweg.

================================================
    ————————
    I guess that’s where Reggie’s gut comes into play.

Remove the spoiled quitter DMAC from our team!

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

Reggies gut….thats a big gut!

• realtruraider

733.RaiderLen Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    RaiderDuck Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    RaiderLen Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
    ————————-
    Someone mentioned Morhinweg.

================================================
    ————————
    I guess that’s where Reggie’s gut comes into play.

=================================
    Yeah, Reggies just gut checking these dudes

• YoungAmerican

Yeah, it wasn’t me who originally mentioned him, sorry guys.

I like that McKenzie is interviewing a LOT of different candidates. 4-3 defensive guys (Allen), offensive coordinators (McCoy, Philbin, Mornhinweg, Carmichael), some 3-4 defensive guys (Bowles, and soon Moss and Capers)… this is a good search thus far.

I’m not doing backflips over some of the options, but why not bring them in for interviews, if only to leave no rock unturned? I’m sure McKenzie wants to make the RIGHT decision more than a quick one, and the only way to do that is to explore all possible options.

• MiamiRaider78

Tecmo Bowl! lol

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

I posted yesterday about Reggie’s gut feeling. I just hope he doesn’t have any bad cheese burgers. Al hired Bugel after some bad Tai food.

• ElkGRaider

737.YoungAmerican Says:
    January 17th, 2012 at 2:22 pm
    Yeah, it wasn’t me who originally mentioned him, sorry guys.

=====================

Agreed. Its his first time doing interviews. Let him due his thing. If anything is will save face when he does settle on Moss…

• ElkGRaider

do*

Ford = DeSean Jackson

***

YA:

come on, man. I was just bragging on you!

• LA to TheBay

Broncos
    Chiefs
    Chargers
    Patriots
    Steelers
    Seahawks

——

My hate list is exactly the same, though I must say Seattle is a very distant #6

• garcia

Is there any possibility the Raiders win a Super Bowl before Lane Kiffin wins a national championship? I didn’t think so, either.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

740.
    Reggie may already know who he is going to bring in and is just doing these interviews for himself. He is the man now and maybe working on his interviewing technique.

• MiamiRaider78

I think Reggie should eat more cheeseburgers because if he goes off of his gut feeling and it’s essentially growing then maybe he’ll make a better H.C choice since he’ll have more gut to get a feeling from?

• Al Davis Demon Spawn

Don’t you understand what the Hamburgler is doing? The deal to coach is in place with Moss, and he is interviewing his OC and DC position for him to make a quick coaching coup when WM is hired.

• Pingback: adventure online games