Allen was on a fast track to HC job

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 at 9:34 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Spent a lot of time the last two days digging into the background of Dennis Allen, the choice of Reggie McKenzie to be the next coach of the Raiders.

Talked with Allen’s high school coach, Tim Edwards, (Allen played for the L.D. Bell Blue Raiders in high school) as well as his college coach at Texas A&M, R.C. Slocum. Reached a pair of his former college teammates and former NFL Players in Terry Mickens and Hunter Goodwin, as well as Allen’s father Grady, a former NFL player with the Atlanta Falcons.

“He’s always been ahead of the game,” Slocum said. “He’s mature beyond his years.”

Slocum said Allen, who was under consideration for the St. Louis Rams job that went to Jeff Fisher, had three different job offers when he left the Atlanta Falcons for the New Orleans Saints. According to Grady Allen, his son’s mentor while with the Falcons was longtime defensive coordiantor and defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

Said Grady Allen: “He’s always had a knack for being around the ball, making plays, and he probably played at a level maybe one or two steps above what his athletic ability would lead you to believe that he could play because he’s such a student of the game.”

Click here for a link to the story which runs in Thursday’s Bay Area News Group papers.

Raiders punter Shane Lechler, another part of the Texas A&M family, was a redshirt in 1995 during Dennis Allen’s senior year at Texas A&M and was the Aggies’ punter when Allen served as a graduate assistant coach.

Lechler told reporters at the Pro Bowl he was intrigued to see what Allen can do as a head coach.

Near the end of our conversation, Slocum relayed the story about how the East Bernard High School standout switched from quarterback to punter.

“I got him one day and said, you know, you can hang around here for a few years and probably play some quarterback, because you’re a good athlete. But if you work on your kicking you can kick for a long, long time and make a living doing it,” Slocum said. “I told him, what I want you to do is go over there every day with the deep snappers and work every day on your punting and you’ll be the best punter in college football. Next time you see him tell him he owes coach Slocum.”

• Twocents

Mistic, I have no idea about who was the first man, all I know is that science today has been corrupted by money.
    People are always saying something has been proven, in true science nothing has been proven, there are only theories and theories can be falsified when new data is found.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Guys, my marketing solutions for the Raiders are merely suggestions. Ideas to be explored. The Raiders should be looking for ways to engage, not finding reasons not to. That mentality is what got them into the financial trouble they’re in.

• J Hill

12 hour train ride is outta the question, lol!

• jraider

LA To TheBay Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:52 pm
    Jraider,

On Amtrak??

Is that non-stop?

Used to take that trip a LOT (Surfliner). Think its a different route (inland vs. the 101/PCH) but that sounds hard to believe.

My bad – talking about driving.
    I’ve recently taken the surfliner (SD – Santa) ~ 6hrs.
    We just fly to the bay on game day. Its beautiful with the airport packed with Raider fans.

• Seymour Bush

Sullivan44 Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Props to President 0bama for being the better person and being the adult yesterday when meeting with a very agitated and confrontational governor. It’s a rough job. He handles it well.
    ============================================

Just another conservative melting down in front of us. You can’t blame them: the ENTIRE WORLD is advancing, and they are trying to take it back to the stone age.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

For years Al thought the Raider patch sold itself. He didn’t have to engage. Boy was he wrong. He nearly went out of business. He had to sell a chunk of the team just to generate operating costs. Why not just run the business right?

• LA to TheBay

J Hill Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:52 pm
    So you think it would take about 12 hours to get to the bay from downtown via train?

Yeah, that’s not going to work.

————-

I used to go from Union Station or a stop in the Valley to Central Coast when I was pushing weight and it took twice the time vs. driving. Granted, I haven’t taken it all the way to the Bay and I think that’s a different route. Went from central coast to San Jose once and it was bout the same…. 1.5 – 2 times as long vs. driving.

• Dakota

MR, did you lose your night shift job at Carl’s Jr.? Sounds like you are trying to land a job under Amy Trask.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Man, I want a Carls Jr!

• LA to TheBay

I’ve recently taken the surfliner (SD – Santa) ~ 6hrs.
    ——————

Outstanding trip. You hug the coastline for most of that. One of the more gorgeous scenic routes you’ll see. Even when 101 or PCH shoots inland, Surfliner still giving ocean views.

Gets reeeeaaaalllly old after a while though.

My pops took it all the way to Seattle one time. They have layovers (which adds to travel time but helpful if you need a drink/smoke) but he said it was great.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Dakota, what’s wrong with working at Carl’s Jr?

• Dakota

877.Sullivan44 Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 4:00 pm
    Dakota, what’s wrong with working at Carl’s Jr?
    ++++++++++++++++++

Other than working with you there?

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

And remember Seymour, had 0bama sunk to her level and become hostile in return, he’d be scolded today for fighting with a girl, acting like a thug, etc. He saw the trap, and rose above it.

• http://raiders.com Albert

0bama needs to help California build a high speed rail so Raider fans can commute to games.

• http://raiders.com Albert

BTW, I can’t believe nobody thought of this before. But, if you want to write 0bama, just use a zero instead of the letter O.

• Twocents

The entire world is advancing toward war and totalitarianism, the same path we have been on for the last century.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Macho Man, still have to get a double western every now and then.

• http://raiders.com Albert

It looks like Sullivan was smart enough to figure that out already.

• Dakota

Better head home, have some supper, and watch the next President debate Newt.

Mitt Romney in 2012!

• Macho Man Randy Savage

++++++++++
    what? the whole world? tell that to the egiptians and lybians who just ridded themselves of dictators!

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Ironically enough, I actually did work at a Carl’s Jr. in high school. Some weak 10% discount, if I remember correctly. Horrible job, to be honest. But then again this was the ’80s with a much better job market. I won’t knock any job today. Too much of an insult toward people out of work.

• http://raiders.com Albert

Dakota, no one is going to vote for a Mormon.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The Olmecs look more Mongol than African… but what the heck!
    ==========
    try again Olmecs were black people with big lips and broad noses, and were acknowledged as being black by their offshoot cultures, aztec and maya.

++++++++++++
    The theory that the Olmecs were of African origin popularized by Ivan van Sertima’s book They Came Before Columbus, have become well-known within popular culture, they are not considered credible by the vast majority of Mesoamerican researchers.

…Not my fault the researchers dont agree.
    ========================

this surprises you? i remember when so called egyptologist refusing to acknowledge that black people built the pyramids and the sphinx?

i rememebr researchers trying to claim we were not the Sumerians or indus vally originals as well.

The mainstream researchers are only trying to discredit black people in order to hide the truth form the masses. Think of it if people actually knew the truth, or if my people knew who we really were could e ever accept being dominated in the world the way we have been over the last 500 years or so?

The theory was popularized not invented by van sertima. By the way van serima and other brilliant historians that come from a base of afrocentrism are man stream sciences biggest enemy, they always want to discredit us.

They have to do this anytime they are confronted with the reality that we mastered and forgot civilization and science to a degree unknown today. They have trouble reconciling their own place in the world knowing that they cant duplicate the things we did so many thousands of years ago.

Its a coping mechanism

• hwnrdr

No official word yet I see…Funny how we are always last!

• Twocents

Only to install the next round of CIA approved dictators. I’d be all for revolution if we would just throw all the bums out and not replace them.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

whats wrong with working at Carl’s Jr? the kids working there always seem happy. Must be the bacon. Man, bacon makes people happy!

• hwnrdr

Albert Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 4:05 pm
    Dakota, no one is going to vote for a Mormon.

Utah will…lol

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

I think Gingrich is going to get the GOP nomination. He’s going to get Paul’s voters in a power vacuum with his subtle race baiting, “food stamp president”, etc. General election? 0bama 52%, Gingrich 48%. 0bama’s going to outclass him.

• jraider

did somebody say…..bacon?

• J Hill

LOL!

So I’m scrolling through internet headlines, and I see good ole Newt is interested in adding a part of the MOON as the 51st state by 2020.

Interesting platform, to say the least.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Macho Man, what world are you living in? Most fast food places have a lot of adults working there now, too. You’re still in denial of the economic crisis, I see. Must mean you’re doing ok. Congrats.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Interesting platform, to say the least.
    ++++++++++++++++

what will be the tax rate on the moon? low enough and I’ll give it a shot!

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

J Hill Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 4:09 pm

LOL!

Interesting platform, to say the least.
    …….

Sign me up. I’d go live there. As long as they had DirecTV & Internet. I’d be taking Raider Nation where only a few men have gone before!

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Macho Man, what percentage are you paying right now? You know, on earth?

• Macho Man Randy Savage

+++++

Thank you for the good wishes my man!

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Macho Man, what percentage are you paying right now? You know, on earth?
    +++++++++++++
    i don’t know, but I want to pay less. the laws of economics apply to me, what can i say?

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

I feel sorry for people who are living in such an insulated world that they can still demean fast food jobs. Why not join the rest of the world, recognize we’re in an economic crisis, and do something about it? How can you live in denial? Must be weird.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Macho Man, with all due respect, if you don’t know what you’re paying in taxes, there’s a good chance you’re not paying much. And remember, 0bama want’s to lower your taxes even more. Only wants to raise taxes on the wealthy.

• dking

WOW, a Raiders Head Coach gets a 4 year deal!!!

• Macho Man Randy Savage

+++++++++++++
    I feel sorry for people who think saying “Man, bacon makes people happy!” is demeaning fast food jobs. Dont feel sorry my man, go out and help the economy out! buy a burger for petes sake.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Huge news, Dking. A Texas A&M product. Defensive factory. Known for quick, hard hitting secondaries. We could be looking like the ’02 Bucs. See you guys later.

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

Sullivan44 Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

….

Yeah, and if he does raise taxes on the wealthy then get ready to pay much more for goods and services.

Where do you think wealthy people get their money? Does it just fall from the sky?

When you take it out of their pocket, they will get it back. That will be by increasing the prices of consumer goods and other products that they control.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

I have nothing against the president, I just wanna pay less, I want my buck to buy more, economics, i thought this was mainstream? whats going on here?

• dking
  • http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Later Macho Man. Remember, since you don’t make more than 200k/year, 0bama’s going to LOWER your taxes. Give you more money to live in your secluded fantasy world. Be sure to thank him.

Later, everyone.

• Twocents

I have two posts awaitng moderation and the only word that I can think that is objectional is Ob***.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

lol. last one. Wasbanned, you’re forgetting one thing. The concept of business COMPETITION. One company undercuts the others, the others are forced to lower their prices. Every time we raise taxes on the wealthy and lower taxes for everyone else, the economy has improved. See: 1990s.

LATER! Im now closing my lap top. lol.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Later Sully, and loosen up, things are looking up!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

The bottom 50% pay 0 income tax. The top 10% pay 70% of income tax collected. Pres purp lips wants to legislate fairness then he should go after the bottom 50% and leave the rich alone.

Purp lips counts on uneducated retards like Seymour Bush, MR, and KK.
    ______

Sullivan44 Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

• Twocents

Okay so now we now. What I said was that Sully doesn’t have to worry, Ob*** will get a second term because RP supporters will either not vote or write in.