Skipper coming back, Manusky interviewed

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 at 4:03 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Fox Sports is reporting that new Raiders coach Dennis Allen has decided to retain running backs coach Kelly Skipper and that he interviewed Greg Manusky for the defensive coordinator position held by Chuck Bresnahan last season.
Skipper has been with the Raiders the past five seasons. He coached tight ends in 2007-08, running backs the past three seasons.
Manusky, 44, has spent 11 seasons coaching in the NFL. He was the San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator last season, until he was dismissed by head coach Norv Turner at season’s end.
Before that, Manusky was the defensive coordinator for the 49ers from 2007-10 and coached linebackers for the Chargers (2002-06) and Washington Redskins (2001).
In summary, Greg Knapp has replaced Al Saunders as the offensive coordinator, Skipper is back as the running backs coach, defensive line coach Mike Waufle and special teams coach John Fassel signed with the St. Louis Rams and wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal went to the New York Jets.
Allen and the Raiders have not confirmed any coaching moves yet.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• raiderdav

I think Allen is here to ruin the Raiders, Greg Knapp now Manursky, this guy had a 49er defense and didnt do jack with it, he had a Charger Defense a year ago and look where they ranked, bad hires. I think the reason a lot of us here all angry is that we were that close of being a GOOD TEAM, I think Hue given another year and a better DC would had gotten this team to the Playoffs, yes he HUE messed up and got himself where he is today FIRED!, but now that I see all these moves we are back to Square 1, after we were so close of a Playoff Berth. Im just waiting to see this time next year on how all you ALLEN lovers are going to be whining, like all the PRO HUE fans are right now. NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO 2012

• YoungAmerican

I’m not into Manusky as DC. Don’t see how it fits, but maybe Allen just needs a guy who can implement his scheme?

Personally, at this point I’m hoping for Donatell, who worked with both Allen and Knapp.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

B A U C E is da Sauce! What’s up B?

• hwnrdr

597.Method To My Madness Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 8:57 am
    Knapp to Palmer: ” I know you wanna throw it on a post corner route to denarious but we don’t throw pass the sticks. Dink it the the man underneath and pray he breaks tackles. It will raise your Qb rating…EFFICIENCY`

He better not, and I hope Palmer will tell him BS!!!

things might have been different if Hue Jackson’s “good friends” at the Ravens would have allowed him to hire the Assistant he wanted for DC last year.

***

WB,

Poor Hue.

Lane Kiffin wasn’t allowed to bring his dad in as DC, ya know?

Who did Gruden, Callahan, Turner, Shell & Cable want as DC? we’ll never know.

Needless to say, things were “different” here when Al Davis was in charge!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Knapp?!
    I really don’t get it?!
    Is that the best we can do? I don’t think so.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:17 am

***

WB,

Poor Hue.

Lane Kiffin wasn’t allowed to bring his dad in as DC, ya know?

Who did Gruden, Callahan, Turner, Shell & Cable want as DC? we’ll never know.

Needless to say, things were “different” here when Al Davis was in charge!

===========================================

Wasn’t Willie Shaw a Gruden hire?

Manursky, this guy had a 49er defense and didnt do jack with it

***

LOL!

dav = uneducated

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Gruden wanted Johnson from the eagles or Kiffin from TB as I remember.

• DMAC

Morning/afternoon peoples!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC,

F You bro!

***

YA – did Donatell run a 4-3 as DC in Atlanta ??

how about GB before that?

• hwnrdr

February 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am

Manursky, this guy had a 49er defense and didnt do jack with it

***

LOL!

dav = uneducated
    ======

I actually thought he did a fine job.
    The Whiners added a few missing pieces to that D to help them out tremendously.
    Manusky is like LoBaeu compared to Bres.
    Bring him on!

• YoungAmerican

YA – did Donatell run a 4-3 as DC in Atlanta ??

—————

I thought he did. Green Bay, too… I think Capers was the one who installed the 3-4 there. Could be wrong, though.

• DutchRaider77

_______________________________________________________

Well he was the fall guy in SD. Hopefully he is a very angry man with somthing to prove.

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:22 am

610.DMAC Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am
    Morning/afternoon peoples!

Good Morning DAMC!
    ============

Why you gotta call me a DAMC?
    lol

• YoungAmerican

I do wonder how multiple the Raiders intend to be. They’ll need to bring in a couple more pieces if they do intend on running more 3-4 looks than the Raiders traditionally have. The Raiders don’t even have a 4-3 1-tech type, much less a true NT. And outside of Wimbley, I don’t see any real option at rush linebacker on the roster.

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:21 am

DMAC,

F You bro!
    ==========
    OK
    A little taste of my own medicine.
    “Taste like schiiit!”
    lol
    What up?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC,

LOL
    You know I’m playing!

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:26 am

DMAC,

LOL
    You know I’m playing!
    ==========

Never no hard feeling w/ me bruh.
    Its all good in da hood.

• Silverandblack666

I am slowly starting to feel like this is no longer the Raider team we all grew up with and came to love.

Al being gone is a part of that sure but some things are making me scratch my head like Knapp?

• DMAC

==========

What up YA
    What are your thoughts on ShoNasty playing a rushing LB?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

For all you Knapp lovers,

Do you really like the hiring of Knapp, and do you really think he is the best guy for the job?
    I don’t remember a single post about Knapp before he got hired.

You People are Homers!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

People say Matt S can’t play OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but I remember the dude dropping in coverage and getting an INT.
    Not bad for a guy who is suppose to rush the passer.

• YoungAmerican

What are your thoughts on ShoNasty playing a rushing LB?

—————-

I’m not sure he’s fluid enough to do it consistently. He makes sense as an elephant rusher, and he can drop into coverage from DE on occasion, but I don’t see him as the kind of guy who can change direction suddenly.

• Woj

I looked at the Head Coach Allen. In 1 word – not impressed. Looks like a man who just won the lottery with a Head Coach’s salary in the NFL.

And hiring Knapp – Yuk. Been there and done that. Total unsuccessful retread.

And interviewing Manusky – another retread unsuccessful fat man. So far it looks like another 8-8 season or worse in Raiderland.

I actually thought he did a fine job.
    The Whiners added a few missing pieces to that D to help them out tremendously.
    Manusky is like LoBaeu compared to Bres.
    Bring him on!

***

DMAC & Dutch: Manusky, baby!

do it, Allen :)

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

B,
    Trade Monta.

• Just Win Baby

Coaching staffs are like political administrations. Is the current success of a team like the 49ers attributable to the current staff or the previous staff that was responsible for getting those players in place for Harbaugh to come in and take the credit? Or is Harbaugh’s staff responsible for getting them to the NFC Championship game in spite of the previous coaches? I think it happens both ways and hopefully this Raiders coaching regime can do something with what they’ve inherited. I can’t really say I hate the hirings until I see what they do next season.

• DMAC

MistaBrown Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:34 am

B,
    Trade Monta.
    ===========

Should of been traded a looooong time ago.
    I’ll take Iggy for Monta.
    Straight up!

• Stork

What the hell is Allen thinking? Manusky? What’s this guy ever done except get fired? What a horrible hire that would be. D was our biggest issue last year besides key injuries. Wow, suddenly I’m not so looking fwd to next season. Not terribly pumped about Knapp either but at least he had some success with Houston and dealing with a 3rd string QB and Johnson out for a good part of the year. Hell, you may as well just keep Chuckie B. if that’s the case

***

YA,

If Donatell ran a 4-3 Defense in Atlanta & Green Bay, less roster changes would be required. I think we’d be missing 2 or 3 starters if we switched to a 3-4 Defense (even on occassion) and who knows how some of our players will transition? I don’t want this to be another Rob Ryan type of situation trying to fit square pegs into round holes. However, if Reggie truly plans on “gutting” the roster … real change is coming

Manusky is a Mike Nolan protege.

Last I checked, EVERYBODY wanted that dude to be our DC …

A well-regarded teacher and communicator, Manusky developed the Chargers linebacking corps into one of the NFL’s stingiest units. They were part of a defense that finished the 2006 season ranked seventh against the rush and third in turnover margin with a plus-13 balance. The unit alone accounted for 43.5 of the defense’s 61 total regular season sacks.

In six years as a pro coach, Manusky has sent four players to the Pro Bowl, including San Diego’s Shawne Merriman in 2006, Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau with San Diego in 2002 and LaVar Arrington with Washington in 2001. Merriman, Arrington and Edwards all went to their first career Pro Bowls under Manusky’s tutelage.

• raiderdav

AMEN to that! that RAIDER MYSTIQUE slowly but surely will ge GONE, what MADE THE RAIDERS is that unlike the other 31 teams in the NFl, the Raiders have their own entity, whether its good or bad. Really Sad
    ____________________

Silverandblack666 Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:28 am

• MikieG

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:40 am

+++++++++

Are any of those guys even still in the League??

• CanuckRaider

#558: That “some weird miracle” was Al realizing that JaJackass was a bum and cutting him loose.

Manusky played in 113 consecutive games during his career. Following the 1991 season, he was selected to the All-Madden Team put together by Hall of Fame broadcaster and former coach, John Madden.

Manusky said the encouragement he received from his coaches during his playing days instilled in him the confidence to enter the coaching profession.

During my sixth year in the league, I played under Tony Dungy and Monty Kiffin in Minnesota. They were the first ones to say, ‘Hey, you’d be a pretty good coach.’ Manusky recalled. That’s the road I’ve traveled since. During the number of years that I spent in Kansas City and even in my past few years as a coach, I’ve continued to try and push myself and adopt the mindset of an offensive or defensive coordinator. I’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to do that here in San Francisco.

After retiring from the NFL in 1999, Manusky spent the 2000 season as a volunteer at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ training camp where he worked with the linebackers and special teams. One year later, he accepted the job as linebackers coach with the Redskins.

• Twocents

McKenzie on what impressed him about Dennis Allen: “His knowledge for the game. I had to get me a football… what I call a football guy. His total understanding of football, his vision. He understood the big picture, not just defense.

He understood the big picture as far as putting a plan together, how to do this, this and this… we went over everything. And how you treat people, how you treat players, getting a staff together. It was all right in line (with) the way I was thinking.

So we had a whole lot of like thoughts about football, the Raiders, players and his passion, his intensity and his drive, that was just icing on the cake.”

A good HC leads and makes his coordinators look like geniuses.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RIP Al.
    We miss you.

Once a tough, hard-nosed NFL linebacker, Greg Manusky has since translated those qualities into a successful seven-year professional coaching career.

During his 12-year stay as a linebacker with Washington (1988-90), Minnesota (1991-93) and Kansas City (1994-99), Manusky was known as a tenacious workhorse. He said his passion for the game, and mental will to do anything necessary to make an impact on the team, carried him throughout his playing career

• DEATHROW 55

When was the last time raiders had a pro bowler lb. Burgess?? Anybody … That positions was ignored for a decade.

• ottocrat

When I first saw this headline, it was very small on my Iphone. For a second, it looked like: “Stripper coming back, Sanduski interviewed.”

• DMAC

DEATHROW 55 Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 9:45 am

======
    I thought Burgess played end for us

• RaidO

Mcfadden already said that knapps offense does not fit his style. He made this comment when hue became OC which makes this knapp hire even more stupid. Allen is failing already. Lol at all blind ‘i will trust allen’ talk. Blow up the offense yeah great idea.

Mike Nolan on Greg Manusky:

I found Greg to be a very good teacher, not only through our meeting, but also through talking with Dallas Cowboys Head Coach Wade Phillips and other league representatives about him, Nolan said.

He’s got great energy. His organizational skills were very impressive to me. I was very impressed with his ability to organize a staff and delegate the responsibilities. He has a very good plan and a very good thought process in putting those things together.

Mcfadden already said that knapps offense does not fit his style. He made this comment when hue became OC which makes this knapp hire even more stupid..

***

Link? Source?

• YoungAmerican

Too many people freaking out here to have a real discussion. Talk to ya soon, gents.