Skipper coming back, Manusky interviewed

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, January 31st, 2012 at 4:03 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Fox Sports is reporting that new Raiders coach Dennis Allen has decided to retain running backs coach Kelly Skipper and that he interviewed Greg Manusky for the defensive coordinator position held by Chuck Bresnahan last season.
Skipper has been with the Raiders the past five seasons. He coached tight ends in 2007-08, running backs the past three seasons.
Manusky, 44, has spent 11 seasons coaching in the NFL. He was the San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator last season, until he was dismissed by head coach Norv Turner at season’s end.
Before that, Manusky was the defensive coordinator for the 49ers from 2007-10 and coached linebackers for the Chargers (2002-06) and Washington Redskins (2001).
In summary, Greg Knapp has replaced Al Saunders as the offensive coordinator, Skipper is back as the running backs coach, defensive line coach Mike Waufle and special teams coach John Fassel signed with the St. Louis Rams and wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal went to the New York Jets.
Allen and the Raiders have not confirmed any coaching moves yet.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• Thec

hwnrdr Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:24 am
    691.Thec Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:19 am
    What’s this “aasistant HC” stuff?

You know, the stuff that Winston Moss does! LOL

+++++++++++

hahahahahahaha…lol…Ok you got me on that 1…

• hwnrdr

Thec, I think to get him here, an Assistant HC will be a promotion! Because it sounds like Allen wants him to run the ST!

• Thec

hwnrdr Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:29 am

+++++++++++

Oh i get it. Its like in the movie Vegas, when Deniro gets the title of food and beverage chairman…Got it

• bcz24

702.hwnrdr Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:29 am
    ***************
    Positions coaches aren’t afforded the luxury of interviewing for other positions, even if it is a promotion and can be blocked by the current team

• bcz24

************************
    Bringing out the Casino references… lol

• Davy Jones

Wow, these coaching hires are really a lot better than Al Davis’ coaching hires . . . how, exactly?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R McKenzie was recommended by Madden and Wolf.
    Allen is a young guy who is well respected in the NFL.

Knapp hasn’t had success since the whiners, and that offense was loaded.

• hwnrdr

704.bcz24 Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:30 am
    702.hwnrdr Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:29 am
    ***************

I know…I think Allen was just reaching/trying

• DMAC

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:17 am

DMAC,

Skipper + Wylie + Wiz = continuity for McFadden
    ======

I can dig it!

Seattle’s O-Line allowed 41 sacks in ’09

Offense ranked 21st in the NFL at 317 yards per game

Ranked 25th at 17.5 ppg

Ranked DEAD LAST in fumbles with 33 (12 lost)

QB’s threw 19 INT’s

• Thec

Bringing out the Casino references… lol

++++++

thats one of my all time fav movies…
    Dinero one of the best to ever do it IMO.

• Thec

time to evaporate…

1 NATION

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I don’t understand why you people are excited about Knapp. I’m trying to understand your positiin, but I don’t get it.

The guy hasn’t done anything in the last decade to earn this much respect.

O,

see post #710

there is your ammo for the Knapp lovers

btw, I support the GK hire.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

You People complained that Al didn’t do well the last decade, but you are happy with an OC who was below avg (at best) the last decade?!!?!

• J Hill

Gregg Knapp, eh?????

No way in heck you can use his last stint with the Raiders as an indicator one way or the other.

Weapons he was at QB and WR are LIGHT years ahead of what was here the last time.

I like Houston’s approach on offense the past few years.

Good hire!

• ddwight

If we are gonna go W.Coast offense, couldnt we have at least taken a look at Mark Trestman? I’ve always remembered Trestmans offenses being able to move the ball, although I realize personnel makes a difference.
    Additional issue is that we don’t have W.Coast off personnel. The players we have fit more into the Mike Martz, Ernie Zampese, Don Coryell’s type of offense.

• M Lonetree

well, here it is once again Groundhog’s Day Eve with fans and trolls complaining about coaches, management, schemes, QBs, D-linemen, linebackers…just about anything Raider-related…except Darrius Heyward-Bey.

if DHB can make such positive strides in his career why can’t other players and maligned coaches do the same?

otherwise just cue up Sonny and Cher while fastforwarding to next year.

• Seymour Bush

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Employment in the nation’s private sector is improving at a moderate pace, with two years of job gains now on the books, according to a monthly labor-market report released Wednesday by payrolls-processor Automatic Data Processing Inc.

Nonfarm private employment rose 170,000 in January, marking the 24th consecutive month of gains, led by small businesses and the service-providing sector, according to ADP. In December, private employment rose 292,000, compared with a prior estimate of 325,000.
    ==============================================

Jan. 31, 2012, 8:56 p.m. EST

Romney trounces Gingrich in Florida primary
    ================================================

Is it safe to say Jamista Clown has hanged himself?

• NGRaiderfan

In terms of knapp i just think we need to look at his whole body of work, not jus the time he had in oakland when it was in its most disfunftional time of the franchise.

• DutchRaider77

The guy hasn’t done anything in the last decade to earn this much respect.

_____________________________________________________

Looking at Knapp’s past as an OC it looks kinda bleak for the team we have on paper, but could he actually have learned somthing under Kubiak? Texans have had a pretty dynamic offense and maybe the old dog has learned some trick…we can hope and pray.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RR,

Thank you, but it’s not about ammo and winning a debate. I’m trying to understand your position (support for Knapp), but I can’t understand the logic behind it.

• DMAC

J Heeeeezy!
    What up?

• ddwight

720.NGRaiderfan Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:46 am

——————————————————-
    But Knapps offenses havent been halfway decent sense his 49er days.

would Marc Trestman leave his post as HC of the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) to come be our QB Coach?

If so, I would be elated!

He has a 48-24 win/loss record there since 2008 :)

• J Hill

OCs are as good as the talent that is on the field.

Knapp had shyytte to work with his last stints as OC.

The position is not called miracle worker!

Like you mentioned, O …..

The last time Knapp had a talented roster with the 9rs, that team was pretty good.

• ddwight

725.RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:49 am

If so, I would be elated!

He has a 48-24 win/loss record there since 2008

—————————————————-
    Maybe if we gave him an offer he would leave the CFL, to come back to the NFL?

• J Hill

Wassup DMac.

Trying to get caught up on the goinz own around hurr.

About to read the presser transcript.

What’s your thoughts on Allen and the potential assts?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Look at his resume the last 10 years:
    ATL
    OAK (I agree that this wasn’t the best situation for any OC)
    Seattle

TO blasted him on the SL, and he just had that dumb look on his face. That man is going to teach our offense discipline?

• NGRaiderfan

Im not a knapp lover or hater. I want to see what he does with this talent that we have and then i’ll make my judgment on him. All this talk about the past and what offense is not relevant because nobody outside of knapp, allen, an mckenzie really know anything about it.

• DMAC

J Hill Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wassup DMac.

Trying to get caught up on the goinz own around hurr.

About to read the presser transcript.

What’s your thoughts on Allen and the potential assts?
    =========

I like Allen, but the Knapp hire was a head scratcher.
    I wouldn’t mind Mausky though as our DC.
    I like that we brought back Skip. Hopefully we retain Wylie and Big Wiz.
    I’ll just have to kick back and see what Allen has in store for us.
    I’m on the train bruh.
    ALL ABOARD!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J,

What about ATL? Vick is not good enough?
    His teams don’t do well in the passing game, and he hasn’t has success since the Whiners. Was it him, was it the takent, or Mariucci? We don’t know, so you can’t give him credit for that. You are as good as your record/ resume, and his is below avg!

hey guys, dont laugh.

I would consider John Shoop for QB Coach as well

OC of the North Carolina Tar Heels since 2007

• J Hill

That man is going to teach our offense discipline?

—————————————————–

No, Allen is.

• DutchRaider77

That man is going to teach our offense discipline?
    ___________________________________________________

Allen is the father, Knapp is the mother…

• bcz24

Maybe if we gave him an offer he would leave the CFL, to come back to the NFL?
    *****************
    He’s turned down more than a few interviews for HC gigs in the NFL… he ain’t coming back to be a position coach or coordinator.

• bcz24

Mike Vicks teams in Atlanta never have any quality receivers.

• DMAC

J Hill Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:50 am

OCs are as good as the talent that is on the field.
    =========

So was is your take on DC’s?
    We didn’t have enough talent on the D?
    Not Bres fault at all?
    Etc
    Etc

• DMAC

DutchRaider77 Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:58 am

That man is going to teach our offense discipline?
    ___________________________________________________

Allen is the father, Knapp is the mother…
    ========

Knapp is the stepson that no one wanted.

• RedneckRaider

For the record:

I love the Allen hire.
    I am OK with the possibility of Manusky.
    I hope Woodson, Wylie, Wiz stay on board.
    I would have greatly preferred Saunders to Knapp and that hire scares me.
    I do not want to trade Mcfadden.
    I do anticipate big FA acquistions.
    I am sad that Sterling Moore is no longer with the team (and said as much when he was first gone)

Here’s to hoping for a great 2012 season!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

If I was your financial advisor, and 10 years ago I had a great return of 20% (the market was doing better, and i was working for a different firm), but my avg since then is below avg 1-2%, would you keep me as your advisor?

• hwnrdr

731.DMAC Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:56 am
    J Hill Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wassup DMac.

Trying to get caught up on the goinz own around hurr.

About to read the presser transcript.

What’s your thoughts on Allen and the potential assts?
    =========

I like Allen, but the Knapp hire was a head scratcher.
    I wouldn’t mind Mausky though as our DC.
    I like that we brought back Skip. Hopefully we retain Wylie and Big Wiz.
    I’ll just have to kick back and see what Allen has in store for us.
    I’m on the train bruh.
    ALL ABOARD!

That is what I am gonna do also! Just wait and see what happens!

• DMAC

I need some car insurance.
    Who knows some cheap ones?

• RedneckRaider

Raider O Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 11:02 am

******************************

Probably. 20% was significantly over the market rate at the time, and given market conditions over the last decade, 1-2%, while subpar, is still understandable – though I would question you thoroughly as to WHY the portfolio performed so poorly and make sure that while you advise me in my investing you did not continue to make the same mistakes.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

No more excuses for knapp! There is no logic behind the blind support, and that’s your right as a fan (I respect that), so let’s move on.

• RedneckRaider

DMAC Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 11:03 am
    I need some car insurance.
    Who knows some cheap ones?

***********************************

State Farm is best.
    Geico is cheapest. (imo)

• RedneckRaider

sorry, in my experience, not imo

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 11:05 am

========

O,
    I think we need to kick back and see what happens.
    Hopefully we add more talent to the team.

• RedneckRaider

Looks like me and Hwnrdr are more or less on the same page.

• DMAC

RedneckRaider Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 11:05 am

DMAC Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 11:03 am
    I need some car insurance.
    Who knows some cheap ones?

***********************************