1,141

Raiders cut Routt

The new regime of the Raiders has begun erasing what it believes to be the mistakes of the past, with the first big move coming in the release of cornerback Stanford Routt Thursday.

Routt was signed last offseason to a three-year, $31.5 million contract extension that at the time made him the third highest cornerback in the NFL just a few days before the NFL lockout began.

Routt was retained by owner Al Davis while at the same time the club made no effort to re-sign Nnamdi Asomugha, who eventually signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

A later restructure boosted the value of the deal to five years and $54.5 million.

Routt’s contract reportedly guaranteed him $20 million, meaning the Raiders could be out that amount depending on wording of the deal. Adam Caplan reported that Routt’s $5 million base salary was guaranteed if he was on the roster as of Friday. Routt still is due a $5 million roster bonus, which is guaranteed.

In 2012, Routt had four interceptions _ second on the team to free safety Matt Giordano _ but played inconsistently and led the team in penalties with 17.

Following the press conference announcing the hiring of coach Dennis Allen, general manager Reggie McKenzie said the team would begin examining contracts and and personnel while putting their financial house in order.

“From where we are, we’ve got some contracts that are kind of out of whack, but in discussions and viewing the cap situation, we should be fine,;; McKenzie said. “We don’t have to make wholesale changes.’’

Routt’s release would seem to serve notice that anyone making a big salary on the Raiders’ underachieving defense could be affected.

Defensive tackle Richard Seymour is in the second year of a two-year, $30 million extension with $15 million due this season, and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley signed a five-year, $48 million contract with a reported $29 million in guarantees.

A year ago, the Raiders starting cornerbacks were Nnamdi Asomugha and Routt. As of now, the only cornerbacks under contract are second-year players Chimdi Chekwa and DeMarcus Van Dyke, as well as veteran Chris Johnson. It’s still possible that first-year defensive coordinator Jason Tarver will follow through with the plan to convert free safety Michael Huff to cornerback next season.

The Raiders also announced the addition of two more coaches, confirming the hire of Keith Burns to be the assistant special teams coach and Johnny Holland to coach linebackers. Burns was the secondary coach at Mississippi, Holland the linebackers coach for the Houston Texans.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Raider Dell

I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!

• Dakota

Man, if we can keep Campbell as a backup QB I would be very happy. I don’t see a ton of opportunities out there for him next year, an no one will make a long-term commitment to him as their starter.

And even though Campbell folds when he is challenged by another QB, maybe he can be the QB to at least put a little pressure on Palmer. Maybe Cambell could handle that….maybe.

• DMAC

Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am

I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!
    ===========

Yeah, we all can dream together.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am

I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!

=======================================

And you propose to get the necessary draft pick how???

• Method To My Madness

Paradise hahahahahahahahahahahPalmer will be out of nfl in 3 years…he sux

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dell,

No thank you sir. We have Terelle Pryor.

• DMAC

I think Campbell will get a one year deal elsewhere to prove, if he can did it done.

• Dakota

1051.Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am
    I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!
    ++++++++++++++

No thanks, only midget qb I want is Brees.

• bcz24

Injuries to ALL of your supporting playmakers is an ‘excuse’. But then you prop ‘Karma’ up as the real reason we were bad.

Seriously?

Go ahead, grab a calculator and do the math. Ill wait.

***

LOL, it’s nice to see BCZ mixing it up with somebody besides me!

I think our differences resolved when he said McClain sucks, he’s over Hue Jackson and there was one time in his life when he cheered for JLH :P

• Method To My Madness

Jc should never be a backup to Palmer in Oakland…Jc better qb for this team and city

• Just Fire Baby

RG III is going to be the next Matt STafford.

Great when healthy, but rarely healthy.

• http://www.mailmachineshouston.com mikeschoice

palmer outplays rivers last game and you guys dont get it= D is culprit. Campbell cant carry palmers jock

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

After we cut/ restructure and free some cap space, we need to sign Mario Williams.

FA wish list:
    1- Mario Williams
    2- Best CB available: Carr or Finnegan
    3- T Branch
    4- V Jackson

Reece & Dez are RFA.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

B, I reversed my decision to trade Monta and no way JC is better than Palmer.

:P

• Method To My Madness

BCz…..you play hand you are dealt…Palmer is a failure and won’t do didley in Oakland except collect huge undeserved checks

• Raider Dell

Dakota Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:46 am
    1051.Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am
    I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!
    ++++++++++++++

No thanks, only midget qb I want is Brees.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OK Dakota, were does the midget line begin, at 6’0 or 5’11, i’ll let you answer this defining question for your future midget commments.

***

co-signed with Dakota, but it depends on the price

2-year $6 million wouldn’t be bad. However, if he demands more money or a starting job tell him to kick rocks … we got Terrelle Pryor waiting in the wings

• DMAC

We don’t need Jackson O Dog
    + I think one more DUI will have this dude serving time

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Where is KK Munster, he a ladies man & a community man!

lmfao

• Method To My Madness

Mista for the Raiders in e011 he sure was….proof in the pudding…quitters never win schit….hey Randy Moss?

ROG & Mistic starting to sound like Debo …

Poor Jason!

quitters never win

***

Chad Ochocinco & Gerard Warren almost won a Super Bowl!

• Method To My Madness

Palmer’s jock=more turnovers than tds…..3 straight losses and team chaos and meltdown….yeah sure lol

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:50 am

***

co-signed with Dakota, but it depends on the price

============================================

Campbell’s moving on, probably as the third-place consolation prize to whichever team doesn’t get Manning or Flynn.

• Raider Dell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:48 am
    RG III is going to be the next Matt STafford.

Great when healthy, but rarely healthy.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JFB,
    Usually you have some facts to back up your comment, please tell me when he was not healthy, oh by the way that torn ACL is a bad injury to come back with and did really well, and was out only this year at halftime due to a concussion.

• Method To My Madness

RRS…notice I said I want JC gone as well? So the poor jason thing doesn’t fly

• hwnrdr

1067.Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:50 am
    Dakota Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:46 am
    1051.Raider Dell Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:43 am
    I WANT RG111 AS OUR QB NEXT YEAR,

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!
    ++++++++++++++

No thanks, only midget qb I want is Brees.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OK Dakota, were does the midget line begin, at 6′0 or 5′11, i’ll let you answer this defining question for your future midget commments.

The only midget QB to me was Pat Friggen Hayden…

• hwnrdr

1077.Method To My Madness Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:55 am
    RRS…notice I said I want JC gone as well? So the poor jason thing doesn’t fly

B, I’m gonna run with your hindsight…
    Who so you see as our starter next year?

• Hardline

Bcz24, #1049

Bcz,

In 9 seasons Palmer threw 167 TD’s / 116 INT’s.

In 13 seasons Manning threw 399 TD’s / 198 INT’s.

CP therefore had a TD/INT ratio of 69%, while Manning has a TD/INT ratio of 49%.

Clearly, Manning has a substantially better TD to INT ratio than Palmer. Clearly Manning has won numerous AFC Championships and a Superbowl while Palmer has not.

TD to INT ratio is just one stat which is not definitive in the face of numerous analytical elements which determine a QB’s standing.

I am not a fan of Manning nor of CP; it’s just hard for me to believe that CP compares to Manning.

***

@Duck

do you have a list of the upcoming FA QB’s?

I’m pretty sure Kyle Orton is on that list as well as one of the Miami QB’s (Moore or Henne)

If Peyton Manning gets chopped and decides to continue his NFL career, I’m not sure JCamp is even a Top 5 free agent QB in a weak free agent QB class

• Hardline

Frankly speaking, I think Terrel Pryor should be give top priority in the off and pre seasons to gauge his potential. We might really have something with him.

• LA to TheBay

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:51 am
    ROG & Mistic starting to sound like Debo …

Poor Jason!

————

It’s not like it was some fluke injury.

People can cry about Jason all they want, he took himself off the team when he refused to slide right for the umpteenth time.

Jason only has himself to blame.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:58 am

***

@Duck

do you have a list of the upcoming FA QB’s?

===================================

I’d take Campbell over any of those three guys you mentioned (Orton, Moore or Henne). Wouldn’t mind either of those three as Palmer’s backup, though.

• Method To My Madness

Its funny that when certain topics come up in here about fair and unfair or a group of ppl have a disadvantage in this country we hear STOP WITH EXCUSES

I want JC gone as well

***

ROG,

so we rollin’ with Pryor, then?

trade players or future picks to get a QB in RD1?

free agent QB you wanna pursue thats better than both Palmer & Campbell?

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

The only midget QB to me was Pat Friggen Hayden…

—————————
    Fran Tarkenton was a midget as was Doug Flutie!!!

• LA to TheBay

———–

He doesn’t and I don’t think bcz was trying to say that.

The argument is that CP throws too many INTs but he threw the same number of INTs over a two year span that Manning did. That’s all.

Drew Brees led the league in INTs in 2010 and then came back for a record breaking season in 2011.

Palmer is not beyond improvement.

And everybody on Reggie’s nuts should be on Palmer’s too based on reggies ringing endorsement.

• hwnrdr

1087.exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 11:00 am
    The only midget QB to me was Pat Friggen Hayden…

—————————
    Fran Tarkenton was a midget as was Doug Flutie!!!
    Sorry, I didn’t know Tarkenton was short….forgot about Flutie Flaks!

• Method To My Madness

Ya know stop talking about slavery or past brutality and schit like that…which I agree on….but when it comes to Carson we throw all of that out the window and give him every excuse….you guys need to look in the mirror and be honest with yourselves…..good day

• RaidO

JC was having a great year before he got hurt. Actually one of his best. He was on the up and up kind of like the raiders. JC is a much better WCO QB. Some of have been overrattng palmer way too much. 16 INTs in how many games? He had 2 decent years in cinci with an ocho in his prime along with some other decent WRs

• hwnrdr

JC was having a great year! The only time I was like WTF with him this year is the wide open TD pass, ummm, I mean int to Patrick Chung in the endzone I sit at! Then I found out that DHB fell and JC threw it to the spot…well, whatevers, but other than the non slide where he got hurt, he did a good job managing the game for us!

• hwnrdr

Oh, and that int to Wilfork…it was a bad day for him!

• Hardline

LA to TheBay, # 1088,

Yeah I get it LA. Believe it or not I don’t urge dismissing CP at this point. He may be able to get us into the playoffs depending if we shore up our O-line, and revamp our defense performs.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:40 am

Sorry Mistic… not turning this into a JC argument with you. I have said 1000 times I appreciate what the man did for us, but his time here is done. Make sure you keep us all informed as to how he does on his next team.
    ==============

no worries bra, but i cant let you say “jc wouldnt have won anymore games without ford moore and dmac than palmer”

He already won without all of them.

Your favorites are your favorites and thats fine, but dont make stuff up

• raiderinparadise

Method To My Madness Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Paradise hahahahahahahahahahahPalmer will be out of nfl in 3 years…he sux

———

Glad you can read, he has 3 years left, thats what i said. and they will be very good years with playoff runs.

anyone that doesnt support palmer your wasting your time as a fan.

Thats our franchise QB and he doenst have sleep anea or purple drink habits, he studys film, is a respected leader in locker room and ran a no huddle offense effectively in 2 weeks of being on team. havent seen that since gannon.

he has great weapons in reece, moore, boss, ford, DHB, mcfadden and a growing o-line and maybe next year he might finally have a defense.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh your mouth and wake up.

• LA to TheBay

JC was having a great year before he got hurt. Actually one of his best
    ————–

Great… for him. As a game manager QB, we could win a SB with an elite D. We didn’t/don’t have an elite D.

Reggie and Allen may be sitting down right now saying that we can have a dominant run game with a game manager Qb in Campbell, so we’ll resign him and deal CP for whatever we can get.

My guess is that we keep CP and he limits his turnovers based on:

-more familiarity with his teammates
    -an offseason complete with OTAs and training camp
    -new system which calls for more timing and less time standing in the pocket

If keen football minds like Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen want to stick with CP and have given him an endorsement, I would think semi pro and amatuer bloggers would defer.

The story will be told soon enough.

• raiderinparadise

but i get it method to my madness.

you always think your right.

I bet you want to pay Tonga 40 million, your favorite player that is better than reece right?

laughable.

• M Lonetree

As Reggie steps up to the plate the Coliseum crowd is buzzing.
    All know he is up there swinging for the fences.
    He might not connect for a home run with every swing of the axe but is going for it.
    Here comes the delivery…thwack…its a long dive, way back, gone
    That was Routt’s head landing in the bleachers with the crowd chanting “Reggie! Reggie!”
    His next time through the order may prove to be just as memeorable.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

LA to TheBay Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:58 am

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:51 am
    ROG & Mistic starting to sound like Debo …

Poor Jason!

————

It’s not like it was some fluke injury.

Jason only has himself to blame.
    ==================

never have i said “poor jason”

Jc is a class act, he heard the critisim from guy like you L.A, and others for sliding in tenn early in the game, and figured blue collar raider fans didnt like it.

In an effort to earn the respect of teammates and the fan base he stopped sliding and now you want to bash him for that too.

Bottom line is you and others never wanted him and would never be pleased with anything he does.

Even if its leading us to first place, coming form behind to win, undefeated in the division, unselfishly leading the team and going 12-7 in his starts.

What a joke