Get ready for the myth of the salary cap

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, February 10th, 2012 at 11:30 am in Oakland Raiders.

There have already been some references nationally to the Raiders’ release of Stanford Routt and how it relates to the salary cap.

It doesn’t.

The whole term “cap-related” is a myth, as Tim Brown once explained to me years ago.

It’s never the productive player that gets released. It is the one the club deems to be overpaid, with the player determining he’d rather move on and cash a check somewhere else rather than take a salary the team feels is more in line with his contribution.

We’ve been hearing for years about all the damage the Raiders have been doing to their financial structure in terms of the salary cap, yet through it all, it never stopped Al Davis from spending as much money as he saw fit to bring in players.

The problem was never the cap, it was the players he selected and the sometimes inflated salaries he paid them.

Routt’s release had to do with general manager Reggie McKenzie thinking the compensation was, as he put it on Jan. 30, “out of whack.”

We’ll find out soon what other salaries are out of whack, and with the end result of players being whacked from the roster.

The two highest paid players in terms of salary are Carson Palmer ($12.5 million) and outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley ($11 million). McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen both spoke glowingly of Palmer on Jan. 30. Hard to see him going anywhere, especially with Cincinnati selecting at No. 17 as a result, with second-round pick likely coming next season.

Wimbley had seven sacks after posting nine in 2010, but four of those came in a single monster game in a 24-17 win over the Chargers in San Diego. He was among the NFL leaders in pressures according to some stat-keeping services.

Linebacker Aaron Curry, acquired by trade, has a $5.7 million salary the Raiders surely never intended to pay next season. It will be up to McKenzie and Allen to make an offer to bring him back.

As for Michael Huff (due $8 million this season in roster bonus and salary), Tommy Kelly ($6 million in salary) and Richard Seymour ($15 million, half of it guaranteed), only McKenzie and Allen know for sure.

If the Raiders make moves with any of these players, it will have everything to do with production and little or nothing to do with the salary cap.

• Master Beeecham

Ha ha, ok Roasted Duck, I’ll “play along”!

You post one legitimate picture of yourself to prove you’re a real live human and NOT a squishy soft sock puppet of Peemore Bust, and I’ll consider releasing some details of my ultra exclusive VIP party world.

C’mon Peemore – er, I mean Roasted Duck – this is a mess you created for yourself!

Let’s see how you flail your way into yet another Certified Platinum Posse-approved smack down!

• Just Fire Baby

Why he doesn’t have a job is beyond me,

***************************

LMAO!!

Does it not shock anyone else, that the guy who thinks Jamarcus got a raw deal, and will have a “bidding” war this offseason for his services, has no clue why Hue doesn’t have a job??

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Master Beeecham Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 7:15 pm
    Ha ha, ok Roasted Duck, I’ll “play along”!

====================================

A picture of myself would prove nothing; you would have no way of knowing if it was me or just a screengrab off the internet, and I would have no way of showing otherwise.

On the other hand, you claim to be some high-rolling rapper who parties at Ritz penthouses ($7500/night) and has a full production crew. Surely, a simple album title wouldn’t be too much to provide? Except, of course, that I could look it up and see if it’s genuine or not. I could check your boat registration and see if that’s on the up-and-up. In short, ANY details you provided about your imaginary lifestyle could be used to bring down your pretend world like a house of cards.

But go and regale us with stories of your “Certified Platinum Posse” and “In-Home Studio” and other made-up details. Go ahead and bore us. So, you were dropping a deuce at the Olive Garden while writing some mad rhymes and then what happened again?

• PlunkforHOF

RaiderDuck making full frontal assault on Capt Steubing!

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

alexmarvez Alex Marvez
    #Rams DBs coach Clayton Lopez also is under consideration to join Johnny Lynn on #Raiders staff to work w/DBs, @FOXSports.com has learned.

• Master Beeecham

Kickass! Just got back from the 69 of the year with a mo fly stripper from Spearmint Rhino!

Anyone know if they made Magnum Extras for Gs packing mad heat?

Peemore Bust – I mean, your lil sock puppet Roasted Raider – hanging around for another minion whipping session!

Love the obedience, classic minion. Gots to keep it real, whut

Anyway lil sock puppet, you have to somehow prove you’re not some flimsy piece of cloth with Peemore’s fist up your poop chute.

Don’t worry Roasted Raider – we know you can’t. But me and the rest of my blog brahs will LOVE watching you continue chase your tail!

MINION MELTDOWN IN EFFECT, SIZZLE TO THE FIZZLE, WORD

• Marks hair

779. Hue lost his hc job cause he lost.. But getting passed over for oc and assistant jobs is because of his dumb mouth

• YoungAmerican

As of Friday, Seymour’s contract is all guaranteed.

• Master Beeecham

Looks like Peemore Bust has packed up his personalities into his purse and headed to the mall!

Yet another wonderful blog humiliation for the poor punching bag!

Would feel sorry for the most abused minion in blog history if my homies didn’t enjoy the free entertainment so much

Anyway, your boi the Beeech Dawg is taking a few hits of X and jumping in the hot tub with the Beeech Dawgettes! Then hitting Jer Ne for some dope Ritz action, the joint’s gonna be PACKED with out of town MiLFS tonight.

DJ booth is set up in the penthouse and cabinet is stocked with shrimp Cup O Noodles. It’s gonna be another late night Pajama Jammy Jam up in here, gots to keep it real

SHOUT OUT TO WHITNEY, FELLOW RECORDING ARTIST SUPERSTAR

• http://www.wasRaider75.com wasbanned

HenryWoffordCSN Henry Wofford
    Reportedly the Raiders have hired two more assistant coaches. Johnny Lynn (defensive backs)& Mark Hutson (tight ends).
    ……

I really like both of these hires. Both have been coordinators as well as position coaches.

Mark Hutson was also an interim head coach at the D-II level.

• arkraider

I don’t think we need to blow up the defense. I’ve seen our current and recent defenses play well against the run when they have put their mind to it, it never lasted beyond one game here or there but the players we have (with a few additions and some serious restructuring of bloated contracts) can do it – it boils down to gap discipline and just doing your job. Our new rookie HC seems like that’s just what he’ll bring to the table. Discipline, accountability. I’m pretty excited! We need some linebackers and corners and we’re on our way!

• arkraider

I think we can get another year out of seymour, given he restructured. And TK can be a force w/ pressure and against the run- he just needs a strong willed coach to keep a foot up his azz and keep him focused

• Slurp N Burp

Raidahs’ got all the wizards workin game and gettin ready for the season.

Now time to squeeze a pinch and stare at it while the lyrics flow.

HOLLA WIZZLE HOT HOT JIZZLE MO PINCH

• 303Raider

This dude Master Byatch is hilarious.

Either this guy is The Master Pimp, or he needs to admit himself to the Loonie bin.

Why do MB and SeymourBush like each other so much, either way the dialogue is hilarious!

• djohnnyg

730.RaiderDuck Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    RaiderDebo Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I see. And all 32 had openings? Do you think Hue will ever coach in the NFL again?

===========================================

Most of 32 had one or more openings on their offensive staff, and even if they didn’t, there’s always room for a “Senior Offensive Assistant” or some such (a la Saunders). Nobody hired him. For ANYTHING. Just like nobody’s brought JaPaycheck in for so much as a workout in over a year, and nobody signed him to futures deal.

Now, Hue’s NFL future is certainly brighter than JaPaycheck’s (how could it not be), but it’s still instructive that NOBODY wants to hire the guy.

Would Hue still get paid his 2 mill from the Raiders if he took an asst job somewhere else?

• djohnnyg

808.YoungAmerican Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 9:04 pm
    As of Friday, Seymour’s contract is all guaranteed.

Then hard to imagine him not on the team this year. If they had plans to drop him they already would have right?

I picture Mark right now:

Mark: Reggie, weren’t u supposed to cut Seymour before his contract was guaranteed?

Reggie: Oh crap. Yeah. I’m sorry, I forgot about that.
    That’s okay, I’ll take care of that next week.

Mark: That’s gonna cost me another 7.5 mill.

Reggie: Yeah. Sorry bout that. I’ve had alot going on.

Nope. They must want him back.

• Hardline

That is real stupid, retaining Seymour. The only thing I would give Seymour is the ax handle upside his head, tar and feathers, escort out of town, and a nut clipping to make sure no more of his defective DNA enters the gene pool.

• Raidernationdave

Alex7 Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I just realized something.
    Raiderweaponx, aka goodole, is a woman.
    ttfn?
    ta ta for now?
    No guy with descending balls ever muttered ta ta for now.

Henceforth, Raiderweaponx will now be known as Susie.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alex your football takes are usually off in left field but this was hilarious!

• Raidernationdave

Twocents Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I never played Pebble, I thought it was too expensive and poorly maintained. I did play Cypress Point once, back when I was somebody.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I stuck on Cypress Point once myself! Great course!

• Pingback: Scotsman Ice Machine

• RaiderWeaponX

rnt sucks. self glorifying moron with little real info

• RaiderWeaponX

told u from the start its a rebuild