Raiders hire replacement for Waufle

By Steve Corkran
Monday, February 13th, 2012 at 2:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

New Raiders coach Dennis Allen dipped into a familiar location to find a replacement for departed defensive line coach Mike Waufle. Allen on Monday hired Texas A&M defensive line coach Terrell Williams to succeed Waufle, according to Rivals.com.
Williams 37, spent the past two seasons as the Aggies defensive line coach. Coincidentally, Allen played for Texas A&M and got his coaching start with the college.
The Aggies ranked 12th nationally against the run last season, at an average of 101.9 yards per game. Stopping the run has been a huge priority of past Raiders coaches, with little success.
Texas A&M ranked 90th against the run before Williams’ arrival. They improved to 30th in 2010 and jumped to 12th last year.
Last season, the Raiders allowed 5.1 yards per carry and finished near the bottom of the league in average yards per game.
Williams also coached the defensive line at Purdue, Akron and Youngstown State before he joined the Aggies staff.
One of Williams’ prized pupils was defensive end Cliff Avril, who played for the Detroit Lions last season and is a prospective free agent.
The Raiders have not confirmed Williams’ hire. Same goes for the reported hires of Ted Gilmore, Johnny Lynn and Mark Hutson.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

• hwnrdr

Hey, not a bad dream!

• Marks hair

The big revenue is from t.v. If we can overpay wimbly, sey, hendo, huff, routt, namdi, walker, walrus….. We can afford super mario or soliai..

• YoungAmerican

Mario Williams will be the highest paid defensive player in the league, no question.

• djohnnyg

351.hwnrdr Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 8:23 am
    Hey, not a bad dream!

Is it far fetched?

I’m willing to be shown i’m full of crap on this.

It seems logical unless…they start dumping our good offensive guys to make the D better. If that’s the case then I can see where we would most likely take steps back.

• guest123

I just don’t think Mark Davis inherited as good a situation as we all think. AD tried in his later years to raffle off pieces of the franchise. However “premier” you think the Raiders is, it’s all sentimentality. The truth is, that the proud logo we all love is mired in long economic slump that even the shared revenue makes it hard operate in.

Mark won’t operate in the red, and will look to maximize his ROR. McKenzie will be his hatchet man.

• Marks hair

The only reason we couldnt spend the way we always do is if mark lowered the budget. And I havent heard about any financial troubles. But I know mark wants a new stadium to increase the teams value and revenue.

• guest123

I know mark wants a new stadium to increase the teams value and revenue.

^^^^^^^

Of course, it’s business, nothing personal.

• Mum-O-killowe

Enjoy St. Valentine’s Day.

One Nation
    One Love

• Marks hair

355 you may be right, but I think we draw huge ratings and crowds, I think the nfl wants us to be stong again, and I belive the best way to get money for a stadium is to win playoff games. People pay for winners, ask the whiners.

Forget about being over the cap. I think Mark Davis wants to eventually get us to be one of the teams way under the cap.

***

G123,

I couldn’t agree more. I think Mark loved and respected his dad, but understands that he set this franchise WAY back by the way he did things in his later years

I think we’ll start paying decent money in order to get quality coaches in here. Then we’ll pay competitive prices for players that the other teams would consider paying. no more scholarships. no more breaking the bank for average players to come here. no more mortgaging the future to “win now” every year. no more height/weight/speed guys that aren’t football players. no more choosing potential over production. we are going to develop players. we are going to develop coaches. we are going to promote from within

It’s going to take some time, but we’ll get there. I think it’s a 3 year plan and Reggie Mac was given a 5 year deal … so thats fair imo

• bcz24

You gotta win games to get a stadium.

• guest123

Una nación, un amor

***

co-signed with G123 again

it appears you were sorely missed on this blog :)

• Marks hair

I think we’ll spend as usual, but I dont think we’ll put 18 million eggs in super marios baskett

You gotta win games to get a stadium

***

Mark & BCZ,

you gotta get rid of the bloated contracts in order to afford MORE key peices to the puzzle. Like last year when they said we wouldn’t re-sign Nnamdi if it would prevent us from re-signing 3 or 4 other key players.

another reason we should not break the bank for Bush & Branch this offseason …

We will eventually win games when Reggie gets our financial house in order imo. the two things go hand-in-hand

• Marks hair

I do think we will dump the scholorship act, and the pay players until they become great technique..

• guest123

it appears you were sorely missed on this blog.

****

Thanks RRS.

It looks like last year’s fierce all-in strategy in retrospect backfired on us and we’ll end up paying the piper for a few years to get all the dead money and lost draft picks out of our system. Hope we can all have patience. I know it’s tough to tighten the belt and watch the losses pile up. It’s going to test Mark Davis’s resolve to stand by McKenzie through all the changes.

• Marks hair

365 I agree with that.. I was just saying I dont think our yearly budget will be reduced.

Mark,

we’re going to be active in free agency. Make no mistake about that. I just don’t see us throwing around big money to get guys to play here. those days are over. with hardly any draft picks and so many of our own free agents, you can bet we’ll be signing players from other teams. I don’t think we’re gonna grab a free agent (our own or somebody elses) and pay him like a Top 10 player at his position

if Reggie Mac is an excellent talent evaluater, like his reputation states … we should be able to make more with less

with legit coaching and discipline alone, plus an entire offseason to make changes and get healthy?

the Raiders are 12-4 next season. I predict we will not only win, but OWN the afc west

• bcz24

Branch will be retained this year, I think they may even franchise him, which would be around $6 million. Its a little high but not overly unreasonable.

• Marks hair

The offense should be ok. The D cant be any worse.. I dont see us regressing much. I just dont see the pieces we need to really improve..yet

• djohnnyg

359.Marks hair Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Which makes sense that Mark try to get that done this yr.

The unique situation here is Mark has said we don’t have a lot of time to make some big decisions.

He’s talked about LA and moving there. If we have a 4-12 team, or even 7-9 or something it makes the team less appealing to ANY AREA he wants to go…or stay in.

Nobody wants a loser.

I don’t think Mark feels ( i’m guessing) that he has the luxury of a 3-5 yr. “re-build” to start winning.

• Marks hair

Im with u rockstar, it was guest 123 I think was off base. I dont have any record predictions yet thoug

• Marks hair

372. Exactly.. We will spend. Im just hoping we dont put out any crazy top contracts to get guys..

• Marks hair

Later fellas

• YoungAmerican

$4 million a year is about right for Branch.

***

G123,

this is where we disagree. you don’t need a roster full of big names to win games. you just need to get players that fit your system and have them execute the gameplan. I don’t expect to finish worse than 8-8 next season, regardless if we lose a few guys from our defensive front seven. How much worse can the run defense get? is ROMAC going to regress or get into more legal trouble? are Seymour & Kelly gonna start taking MORE plays off? is Tarver gonna be worse than Chuck B?

• SR Raider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 8:41 am
    ———–
    Agreed. And it will take at least two years, probably more like three.

The good news is that there is enough talent to be a .500 team, so with better coaching playoffs are a possibility even during the transitio

• DMAC

Morning/afternoon peoples!

Let’s go Dubs!

• guest123

RRS, there’s a whole lot of moving parts to this equation to expect success out of the gate. Sorry if I’m a little pessimistic. The other teams are making moves to improve too, y’know.

$4 million a year is about right for Branch.

***

BCZ & YA,

two of the Top 10 semi pros in here.

I don’t think we franchise Branch. He reminds me of Gibril Wilson. As soon as you franchise a player, their long term deal contract worth soars thru the roof! Sort of like Kam Wimbley.

you’re telling the player and his agent “we cant afford to lose you. you are among the best at your position”. They counter with “prove it. we’re open to a long term deal. show us the money”

Branch is known for his run support, but our run defense stinks. He was horrible in coverage in 2010, but improved a little in 2011. Still – we allowed 60 TD passes over the past 2 seasons and not all of those were against Huff & Routt. You know what i’m saying?

• guest123

We need to lock down Branch with a nice contract, show him some love.

• guest123

Blog on semi’s.

I’m off to my VD lunch date.

peace.

***

Scott Pioli went to the Chiefs in 2009.

He blew up the entire roster & coaching staff. gutted everything.

they won the division in Year #2 with far less talent than we have right now. What would have happened if Cassel, Charles & Berry were healthy this last year? 1 more win would have taken the division (again)

It can happen sooner than you think!

• bcz24

Branch is a fringe pro bowler at SS, he can cover if necessary, he is stout in run support, and he is a career Raider to this point. He seems happy there and can be a leader in the locker room and on the field if he buys into the new philosophy. You cant tell me you support our new coaching staff if you dont think they can coach up the players we have. I think under DA’s tutelage Branch will be in the pro bowl next year.

Why do people like Branch so much?

because he has a lot of tackles?

what SS for the Raiders since 2003 hasn’t had a bunch of tackles? TB certainly isn’t a ballhawk.

is it because Hue Jackson talked him up?

is it because the media expects us to pay him a king’s ransom?

somebody provide some clarity please.

he’s not going to be our primary return man next year.

does he have a bunch of tackles for a loss or forced fumbles I didn’t see last season?

• hwnrdr

What’s up DMAC?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R Goodell is over paid. I hate that guy, but I do respect him. He is a great business manager, and he is doing a great job promoting the NFL, but I don’t think sports should be treated like a normal business. He is taking home games away from fans here to promote the NFL in Europe. I don’t see Italian/ Spanish/ or English soccer teams playing their home games here to promote soccer in the US.
    Stop promoting the sport outside the US, and work on improving the game for fans here.

• bcz24

*****************
    They had the cap space and draft ammo to get the pieces to be able to do a quick turn around. We dont, nor are we in need of being blown up. we arent coming off 10 wins in 3 seasons like they were.

***

Again, why wont anybody elaborate on this?

do we just make blanket statements in here and assume they are true?

What impact has he made in run support?

What impact has he made in coverage?

Can somebody even convince me he’s a better tackler than Mitchell?

Can somebody even convince me he’s better in coverage than Huff?

Give me some examples. Where are the film geeks at right now?

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:21 am

What’s up DMAC?
    ========

What up

• bcz24

Do some research on your own rock. Form your own opinion. My opinion is the Branch NEEDS to be retained, and is the most valuable piece of our very weak defense from last year.

***

BCZ,

so whats your point? I’m a little slow. you know you have to make things black & white for me.

that it’ll take longer to turn us around?
    that we dont need any time to start winning?

• Dakota

Branch is over-hyped and I have no idea where it is coming from. Can’t count the number of times in the last three years I have seen Branch near a play in the end zone looking confused as the WR catches a TD pass. Can’t always tell if it is the safeties coverage or the CB’s, but either way he hasn’t done much but be a part of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL.

Branch is a better tackler than Huff, but he isn’t a run stuffing SS by any means.

Offer the guy the average contract for the average SS, and if someone else signs him, then don’t even blink.

The era of handing out big contracts to players with marginal talent is OVER. Al is gone.

• DMAC

Branch is a keeper.
    Allen will bring out the best of him.
    He’ll be used in a lot of blitz packages.
    He’ll make his first pro bowl next season.

• bcz24

Three years straight Branch has led our team in tackles… all 3 years over 100 tackles… I think it is fair to say that he doesnt have a problem in that area.

• DMAC

Bring back Branch, just don’t over pay for his services.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Can somebody even convince me he’s a better tackler than Mitchell?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If you need convincing that one of our leaders in tackles the last 3 years can tackle better than his backup who missed more tackles than he made, then there is no convincing you. It is a lost cause. lol

• r8eray

Just ordered a basket of fruit from that Edibles place….who knew fruit could be so $$$!!

Next time I’ll stick to Roses..

• Dakota

392.bcz24 Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:25 am
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Just because the guy might be the BEST OF THE WORST doesn’t mean we have to keep him. Certainly he is worth keeping at a reasonable price, but no way no how should the Raiders even consider franchising him, or overpaying him…

Same goes for Michael Bush for that matter.