Raiders hire replacement for Waufle

New Raiders coach Dennis Allen dipped into a familiar location to find a replacement for departed defensive line coach Mike Waufle. Allen on Monday hired Texas A&M defensive line coach Terrell Williams to succeed Waufle, according to Rivals.com.
Williams 37, spent the past two seasons as the Aggies defensive line coach. Coincidentally, Allen played for Texas A&M and got his coaching start with the college.
The Aggies ranked 12th nationally against the run last season, at an average of 101.9 yards per game. Stopping the run has been a huge priority of past Raiders coaches, with little success.
Texas A&M ranked 90th against the run before Williams’ arrival. They improved to 30th in 2010 and jumped to 12th last year.
Last season, the Raiders allowed 5.1 yards per carry and finished near the bottom of the league in average yards per game.
Williams also coached the defensive line at Purdue, Akron and Youngstown State before he joined the Aggies staff.
One of Williams’ prized pupils was defensive end Cliff Avril, who played for the Detroit Lions last season and is a prospective free agent.
The Raiders have not confirmed Williams’ hire. Same goes for the reported hires of Ted Gilmore, Johnny Lynn and Mark Hutson.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

Steve Corkran

• bcz24

4 passes defensed and 1 int last year. Not too bad for a strong safety.

He is a very good blitzer, when schemed properly (ie 2010… marshall was successful with blitzing branch, won us the first SD game)

He is also young and has a lot of room for upside, thats exactly the type of player reggie mckenzie covets.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RR,

Branch’s issue is coverage and not run support or tackling. I also thought he improved his coverage skills last year.
    Is he worth 6+ million? No
    Should we tag him? Only if we have to. He is the best S in FA.
    How much should he make? $4 million range.

Branch was a starter at SS in 2010 with Nnamdi under Marshall.

He was a starter at SS in 2011 without Nnamdi under Bresnahan.

In both cases, he had a bunch of tackles … but our run defense was terrible and so was our pass defense

TB was just 1 of 11 guys not doing his job imo

If you guys can convince me otherwise with something besides “Branch is good in run support. he’s good in coverage. he must be re-signed” i’m all ears!

• bcz24

The franchise # for a safety isnt that high. 6 million. As I said earlier, it is more than Branch is worth, but not so high as to prohibit its use, especially if it is just used to give us more time to negotiate a fair long term deal.

• DMAC

True story.

I told my wife a few years back I don’t do Valentines anymore, because she’s my Valentine everyday, not just on a day that is overhyped and created to spend some unnecessary $$$$$$.

Cut The Spoiled Quitter and give all his salary to the stud Tyvon Branch!

Taiwegian Jones is an all around bettr RB anyway. So is MBush.

• bcz24

*******************
    You aren’t all ears. In yours, and many other bloggers opinions, there are no redeeming qualities in any of our defensive players and they should all be trashed because our defense was so bad… you also thought Hue Jackson should be fired for saying our defense played poorly, you also support our new coaching staff, but dont think they can get any improvement from our players.

See where I am going with this?

Three years straight Branch has led our team in tackles… all 3 years over 100 tackles… I think it is fair to say that he doesnt have a problem in that area.

***

nobody said “Branch can’t tackle”

thats the myth about Michael Huff!

• DMAC

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

============

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

• bcz24

If you want to get rid of Branch tell me who you would replace him with.

Huff is a pxssy. All diving arm tackles and too late with those. DVD tackles better…

***

BCZ,

this comment is sort of contradicts itself imo

you can’t place a franchise tag on somebody and then expect a “fair” or reasonable deal

let him test the waters in free agency

• Dakota

409.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:37 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

============

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

++++++++++++++++

Well, if a safety is making a tackle 10 yards past the LOS it really doesn’t count for much. Good strong safeties make plays within a few yards of the LOS. I don’t recall Branch making many of those tackles…

• DMAC

If retained, Branch will make his first pro bowl, playing under Allen and company.
    Heard it here first!

• DMAC

Dakota Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:39 am

409.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:37 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

============

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

++++++++++++++++

————–

If he’s tackling 10 yards past the line, what the the hell is the front 7 doing??????????????????????

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

***

DMAC,

YOU PEOPLE blamed Huff for it when he was SS!

but seriously, if you’re gonna make a case for somebody being excellent in run support, shouldn’t you have a few examples to back it up besides a media person like John Clayton or Adam Schefter saying it? We are Raider fans. We know better than them. You certainly can’t prove it with stats. nobody is pointing to any plays he’s made in the past two years either

BCZ says “4 passes defensed and 1 int last year. Not too bad for a strong safety”

not bad = place the friggin tag on him ??? smh

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am
    True story.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Did she buy that?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Exactly!
    If we are looking to our Ss to stop the run, then we are in more trouble than I thought.

• DMAC

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:42 am

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

***

DMAC,

YOU PEOPLE blamed Huff for it when he was SS!
    ==========

Sorry I don’t recall that.
    I do know Huffy loves getting a piggy back ride for 3-4 yards, before he finally drags a opponent down.

• The Big Banana

Folks seem to be split on Branch. And that’s pretty much how I feel about the guy. He’s never been terribly impressive nor a bad player either, not by any stretch. Just above average. That said, i feel we need to keep him. It’s the best we can get at that position right now.

But will we have to overpay? There are some desperate teams out there needing a SS. Not sure I want to compete with teams that are falling for the hype of all his tackles and snaps played. Thoughts?

• bcz24

But your saying let Branch walk, and not providing any reasonable candidates to replace him. Mike Mitchell? Thats who we would have to start if Branch walks

• Dakota

415.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:40 am
    Dakota Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:39 am

409.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:37 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

============

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

++++++++++++++++

————–

+++++++++++++++++

The front seven needs help too, but Branch certainly isn’t doing much as the run supporting strong safety to help the situation close to the LOS. There are a lot of safeties who can rack up tackles, ask G. Wilson, but then their are the good safeties who are able to stop the run up close. Can’t pay Branch like one of those studs when he is not anything near what those guys are.

I know that many of us have see such bad football for so long around here that we fear losing marginal players because they seem good compared to what we have seen in the recent past, but the time to fear that has ended. No more huge contracts for players that do not deserve it, and Branch isn’t anywhere near worth the franchise tag or a contract paying him $6 million a year.

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:43 am

DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am
    True story.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Did she buy that?
    =========

Yeah, kind of, sort of.

If you want to get rid of Branch tell me who you would replace him with

***

BCZ,

you’ve never heard me say I just want to get rid of him or that I want him replaced. Point is, how much is he worth? how much of an impact is he actually making?

I’m all for making Tyvon Branch a reasonable contract offer, but I am not breaking the bank for this guy and i’m certainly not placing the franchise tag on him!

If somebody else wants to pay him $5 or $6 million per season, I trust McKenzie, Allen & Tarver can find a capable replacement for much less.

• hwnrdr

Well, I haven’t given my wife any flowers or chocolate on Valentine’s for years now…I don’t see the value in purchasing over priced flowers and stuff just for a day! The kids and I do other stuff for her every year…
    And listening to the Rihanna album…Suck my cockiness, eat my persuasion??? LOL

***

BCZ,

you type faster than me. see comment #424 by RRS

• bcz24

If you franchise him, you eliminate any teams making him an offer based on the ‘hype’. Then you have time to negotiate a fair offer that compensates him and suits the team.

Wimbley is not a fair comparison because you are assuming that just because we franchise the player that we are going to turn and offer him an outlandish deal like Al used to do.

Which leads me back to questioning whether or not you trust in our new GM?

• r8eray

DMAC…I know what your talking about!!

These women B!tCh all the time and expect us to get them ish for this made up holiday!!

I need a vaca (away from the wife), a massage ( asian ;) ) and round of golf (Pebble Beach)…and do I get that ish??? NO!!!

• DMAC

f Branch walks
    Dakota Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:46 am

415.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:40 am
    Dakota Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:39 am

409.DMAC Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:37 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:34 am

============

So its Branch’s fault that we have a schitty run D?

++++++++++++++++

————–

+++++++++++++++++

===========

I get what your saying Dakota.
    I never said show him the big bucks.
    I said bring him back at a cool price and watch Allen bring out the best out of this dude. Pro bowler next season. (thats how I feel)

Trade DMAC for a bouquet for Hwnrdr’s old lady!

• DMAC

Kiss my ass Valentines Day!
    I’m not falling for that schit!

• The Big Banana

#405 – DMAC. I hear you there bro. Wife and I grossly overpaid for a bad meal in a highly touted restaurant in the City a couple years back and vowed never to do it again. These places, even the well respected ones, know they can get away with murder on V-day.

Took her out to a real nice place in wine country this past weekend instead. Very nice.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I don’t do flowers or chocolate. I’m not romantic at all. My idea of romance is smoking Cali green & humping like rabbits.

Eric Weddle got 5-years $40 million

Antrel Rolle got 5-years $37 million

Bob Sanders got 5-years $37.5 million a few years back

Troy Polamalu got 5-years $33 million

Gibril Wilson got 6-years $39 million from Al Davis last time

***

BCZ,

if we place the franchise tag on Branch, he’s going to expect this type of long term deal.

You think he’s worth it ???

• bank-bank

I for one love T.Branch on our Raiders.He is a great teammate with no off the field problems,He is a great tackler in a sport where good tackling is lacking around the N.F.L.

• bcz24

Profootballfocus.com rates branch as the 29th best available free agent in 2012 (not bad considering more than 25% of the NFL are free agents this year), and the #1 available safety in FA.

• DMAC

The Big Banana Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:52 am

=========

There you go.
    lol
    I took out my wife last weekend.

• Dakota

Well, BCZ, on second thought I wouldn’t have an issue with franchising Branch. I would have an issue with siging him to a big, long-term deal.

I would rather see him franchised and then see if the new coaching staff can get anything out of him before signing him to a long-term deal.

We have so many needs on defense and really no viable way to fill those needs this offseason, so to open up yet another hole at SS would hurt.

If they can cut Michael Huff to open up cap room for improving our LBers and the NT position then I am all for keeping Branch with the franchise tag and just seeing what the new staff can make of him. If he is still just a marginal SS at the end of next year, then we can replace him in the 2013 draft.

• r8eray

Here’s a good one…..if you were to get a jersey for 2012, who would it be?

Branch, Wiz, Veld, Houston, Ford….Moore?

***

BCZ,

then you elimate the chance to see what other teams would offer him. what they think he’s actually worth

Example: Nnamdi Asomugha signed a five-year, $60 million contract with Philly last offseason.

what kind of long term deal do you think the Raiders would have offered him?

I’m thinking 5-years $80 or $100 million!

• bcz24

*****************
    You assume to know what he will expect out of a contract. I don’t, I just know that Branch will be coveted in free agency and I would rather tag him and eat the money than let him walk and roll with Mike Mitchell. (Who I believe may even struggle to make the squad this year…)

• hwnrdr

430.Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:50 am
    Trade DMAC for a bouquet for Hwnrdr’s old lady!

LOL

• DMAC

r8eray Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 9:58 am

Here’s a good one…..if you were to get a jersey for 2012, who would it be?

Branch, Wiz, Veld, Houston, Ford….Moore?
    ==========

I was thinking maybe a Blackstock jersey, but he’ll probably be let go.

• bcz24

Rock you are stuck in the thinking that what happened here in the past has any bearing on the future. Disregard anything that happened prior to Jan 2, 2012 as if it were a different team. For all intents in purposes, it was.

• bank-bank

I myself seen branch make tackles against the run.What are you watching.He shouldn’t be making those tackles anyway 10 yds down the field but,he does it all the time.The front line and the linebackers should handle that.If they get thru them then Branch is there 10 yds down the field to make that tackle to stop that run right there which he does.Give the guy a break.Plus,he plays the whole season which is more than I can say about you-know-who.

• r8eray

DMAC funny ish you say that…..it never fails!!

LOL

Woodson, Nnamdi, Russell (POS), and Moss are the last I bought…I’m sticking with throwbacks!!

Bo, Long, Plunk, Allen, Stabler, Biletnikoff, Lamonica, Brown, Otto and Branch…maybe a few I didnt mention!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

We should trade Palmer & DMAC, and let TP run the offense.
    TP will throw for 4000+ yards, rush for a 1000 yards, and he will have 40-45 TDs.
    Best year ever.
    TP!!!!!

I know who you-know-who is!

• Dakota

445.bank-bank Says:
    February 14th, 2012 at 10:02 am
    +++++++++++++++

Is that where Troy P. makes tackles? 10 yards down the field?

Bob Sanders in his day?

If Branch wants to be paid like those guys, then he needs to play as well as them don’t you think?

Mustafa, you liar! You are a romantic…for TP!

Blind monkey!