To tag or not to tag Bush

By Steve Corkran
Monday, February 27th, 2012 at 3:01 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Teams have had a week to use the franchise tag on one of their own players. As of now, none has opted to go that route. The Raiders have until Monday to decide whether to use the tag on running back Michael Bush, safety Tyvon Branch or one of their other free-agents-to-be.
It’s worth noting that the Raiders wasted little time in using the franchise tag on Charles Woodson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Richard Seymour and Kamerion Wimbley in recent years.
That the Raiders haven’t used the tag on Bush by now makes it more likely that they won’t use it on any of their players this season.
To recap, Bush is slated to become an unrestricted free agent March 13, unless he is signed to an extension. That is unlikely, given Bush has stated that he wants to be a starter, and he realizes that isn’t apt to happen as long as Darren McFadden is on the Raiders roster.
So, the Raiders are faced with the prospect of using the franchise tag on Bush if they want to keep him in the fold for at least one more season. That would cost the Raiders $7.7 million.
New coach Dennis Allen talked about the difficulty in defending against the Raiders, with McFadden and Bush in the backfield, when Allen was the Broncos defensive coordinator last season.
Yet, he refused to tip his hand when asked about whether the Raiders intend to use the franchise tag on Bush.
“We’re going to look at all those options,” Allen said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last week. “I won’t get into the specifics of exactly what we’re going to do and exactly what our plan is going to be, but I will tell you this, we will look at all of our existing free agents, we’re going to look at all of our existing players that are under contract that have high numbers and we’re going to evaluate what we need to do to give the organization a chance to be successful.”
The Raiders are on the hook for $5.65 million to McFadden in 2012. In a perfect world, the Raiders would be paying Bush $7.7 million for a backup who wouldn’t get much more than 125 carries or so if McFadden is healthy all season.
Combine that with the fact the Raiders already are $11 million over the salary cap and also would need to free up even more room if they want to sign a couple of players in free agency.
Bush’s agent, Todd France, did not return a phone call.
If the Raiders opt to let Bush walk, that likely means a heightened role for second-year back Taiwan Jones, who played sparingly his rookie season, while stuck behind McFadden and Bush and battling through a hamstring injury.
Bush stands to make a ton of money if he makes it to free agency in two weeks. He likely would become the next talented back who spent the early part of his NFL career as a productive backup and cashed in once he hit free agency, along the lines of Priest Holmes, LaMont Jordan and Michael Turner.
Bush set career-highs in carries (256), rushing yards (977) and receptions (37) last season, largely in part to McFadden missing the final nine games with a foot sprain. He also finished with his worst yards per carry (3.8) in his four NFL seasons — he sat out his rookie season in 2007.
What the Raiders decide to do with Bush will go down as one of the first big moves in the Raiders careers of Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie.

Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl

February 28th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

KK Munster, there were no signings like that last year either when AL was here. So whats your point?

Nada
    ————————————–
    Yes, but there was yet another Head Coaching change, BrownStains.

• Seymour Bush

RaiderLen Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Djohnnyg Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    #580,

Did the Raiders even give Javon Walker a chance?

Seriously.

How many times did they throw to him or even put him in the lineup?
    —————–
    I think so.

I read somewhere that AL talked Him out of retiring after he’s offered to return His signing bonus…etc.

After He left Oakland, I think that was it.
    ===============================================

When he GOT here he was done. Micro fracture surgery did not help. Al talked him back into “playing” one more year against “Jivin’s” own wishes, and that was to take the pressure off the rookie WR’s. None of it worked out.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Boring like your anniversary when you were here blogging, right? 27 great years right Munster ?
    _____

KoolKell Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This will probably be the most boring Raider Off-Season in history.

• RaiderLen

JLofty Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    If you’re Kamerion, do YOU restructure?
    ————————

If I feel the Team is low balling me relative to the open market, then No.

If not, then why not.

So?
    Fact is AL was here and there was no “excitement” just like on your wedding night & anniversary.
    ____

KoolKell Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Yes, but there was yet another Head Coaching change, BrownStains.

• Twocents

Headline from CBS: “NFL to kick off on Sept. 5 to avoid Ob*m*’s speech”. I would suggest that any prudent individual would ignore the speech.

February 28th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

—————————————-
    BrownStains, why don’t you get a life?

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Peymour666Glenn, what is a Jivin? I mean besides from your adolescent attempt at giving nicknames to athletes. Any significance at all ?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

27 Wunnerful Years, BrownStains, get a life.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Munster I have a life why dont you just answer the question or STFU?
    _____

KoolKell Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

BrownStains, why don’t you get a life?

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Munster, if you repeat “get a life” 1 million times you still wont have one and mine wont change! ;)

Can you dig it ?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

BrownStains, you seriously have nothing in your life, but stalking me? Really? Pathetic.

• DKnight007

573.edward teach Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    Thoughts on the offseason;

While it appears as if there isn’t going to be a lot of money to play with, I do think we will address corner and running back in free agency. Too young at corner now to roll with that next year, and McFadden’s backup will have to know protections and so forth. The corner will probably be expensive, but a good backup RB with some ZBS experience shouldn’t break the bank. A linebacker with 3-4 and 4-3 experience would be a bonus.

It makes sense that the team is looking hard at d-linemen and linebackers at the combine. In my opinion, when the times comes you take the best player available between those two position groups regardless of what else is on your board. We have no depth at linebacker and nobody to play the middle of the d-line in a 3-4.

Love to see us grab someone like Ta’Amu, Vinny Curry or Shea McClellin, but we may have to settle for a Derek Wolfe, Keenan Robinson or Bobby Wagner. Hoping that Jean-Baptiste sticks around until the fifth round so we at least have an option there.

^^^^^^^^
    Would love to see Raiders add Thompson, Taamu or Reyes, if they get lucky.

Derek Wolfe would be a good pick either in at the of Round 3 or Round 4. Brett Roy or Tydreke Powell would be good picks in Round 4 or Round 5 also.

• DKnight007

599.JLofty Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    If you’re Kamerion, do YOU restructure?

^^^^^^^^
    If had dignity and wanted to be TEAM player….yeah I would restructure….especially when I would know I would be a millionaire anyway, sitting pretty…unless Wimbely is an idiot and irresponsible with his money.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Stalking you? HAHAHAHA C’mon Munster, dont flatter yourself. This is a blog. This is where your comments get commented on, this is how it works. If you can’t handle it go to the barbershop and sweep up hair.

lmao

• Seymour Bush

February 28th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

===============================

Of course it has significance. A derogatory nickname. Like almost all here call you “brownstains”. Get it Jamista Clown?

• DKnight007

There is plenty of solid depth at the DLine position in this years draft.

I think McK and Allen can get a good one in either Rounds 3 or 4 and a servicable one with upside in Round 5.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

BrownStains, it might do you some good to get out of that foul trailer of yours, every now and then.

You seem awfully unhappy.

• DutchRaider77

599.JLofty Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    If you’re Kamerion, do YOU restructure?

^^^^^^^^

_____________________________________________________

Good Post, I guess if he doesn’t, we don’t want him!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

So it’s just a nickname.
    It’s not funny or derogatory it just makes you look like a 10 yr old trying to be funny…Ok Peymour continue on!

KK Munster,
    I dont have a trailer. Im not in a trailer. Never have never been……now what? Can you think of something less stupid to repeat ?

• JLofty

Len that was funny. The concept of what the “open market” would offer Kamerion vs. what Al Davis offered him is making me chuckle…I’d say he’d be offered HALF.
    No but really, it’s not Kamerion’s fault Al was not in his right mind when he offered that deal, and he’s only got a few good eraning years left in his career (if lucky), maybe he just tries REAL hard to earn as much of it as he can.
    I wonder if we could null and void that deal since clearly one of the signers was demented.

• Raider Weapon X http://www.raidernationstation.com/

619. Wimbley seems like a one note pass rusher and average LB.

Not worth his current deal and if he won;t retruct hes gone

February 28th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Stalking you? HAHAHAHA C’mon Munster, dont flatter yourself.
    ————————————————–
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

—————————————————
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

—————————————————-
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Munster I have a life why dont you just answer the question or STFU?
    ——————————————————
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

So?
    ——————————————————
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

—————————————————–
    BrownStains you are PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!

• Seymour Bush

February 28th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

KK Munster,
    I dont have a trailer. Im not in a trailer. Never have never been……now what?
    ========================================

KK is just trying to be cordial. A broken down double wide that leaks would be an upgrade to living under a freeway.

• RaiderLen

JLofty Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:46 pm
    ———————-
    We can.

Just cut Him, pay Him 6.5 mil to go away.

End of story.

No further monies owed.

I’d prefer we trade Him. :)

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

BrownStains, why don’t you call my cell again, and tell me what you REALLY think about me? Lol.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Munster, you collected all my post and re-posted them. That makes you the pathetic one, right?

You posted a link to your place of work with a pic of your not so hot wife. That makes you the most pathetic idiot to ever log into this site.

The end

LMAO

How would I get your cell # ?
    ______

KoolKell Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

February 28th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

————————————————
    And, you’re just obsessed with me and my wife?

You’re sooooooooooo PATHETIC

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

KK Munster, the next time you get the mind to call someone stupid remember you posted your work place and wife on this blog, ok?

lmao

February 28th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

———————————————-
    Yeah, I should have known there would be stalking creeps like you, out there.

• DKnight007

RaiderLen Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:49 pm
    JLofty Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:46 pm
    ———————-
    We can.

Just cut Him, pay Him 6.5 mil to go away.

End of story.

No further monies owed.

I’d prefer we trade Him.

^^^^^^^
    Paying a player like Wimbley 6.5 mill to go away…especially when he is still serviceable as a down RDE full time is just a complete waste IMO.

Unless he is a sorry azz lazy sizzerup drinking bum like JaMarcus, then they need to find a way to trade Wimbely or restructure.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Munster, do you know the definition of stalking? Google is free why dont you give it a whirl!
    _____

KoolKell Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yeah, I should have known there would be stalking creeps like you, out there.

February 28th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

———————————————–
    5 years ago, BrownStains, get over it, ok? Lol.

You don’t need to obsess on me 24/7.

• DKnight007

Things are getting weird in here. I’m out!

KK The Clown,
    I’ve only seen females talk about having a “stalker”. Never in my life have I seen a male do what you are doing. Seriously…maybe go back to repeating “get a life”

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

present participle of stalk (Verb)
    Verb:
    Pursue or approach stealthily: “a cat stalking a bird”.

Harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention: “the fan stalked the actor”.

BrownStains, stalking KoolKell 24/7

February 28th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

KK The Clown,
    —————————————–
    That’s becuause you’re a dumbass nobody with no life. Really quite simple.

Who’s going to obsess over you?

• JLofty

Kelly, yes, you should have known better. I remember a few years ago when I first saw that you had posted that, I was laughing my @$$ off. I mean really?
    You should be too embarassed to even bring that up….

February 28th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

KK The Clown,
    I’ve only seen females talk about having a “stalker”.
    ——————————————–
    Maybe you’re homosexual?

• JLofty

Go W’s
    Go Sharks
    big Tuesday PM.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Not really Jlofty. Some people know who I am, most don’t give a schit.

But BrownStains obsessing on my website know, I’ve been to

Demnark
    Sweeden
    Holland
    Finland
    France
    Switzerland
    Kenya
    Japan
    Tanzania
    Australia
    Korea
    Thailand
    Hong Kong

And I’m probably missing a few. That’s why the Trolls are attracted to me.

• M Lonetree

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M., – (Reuters)

Oakland Raiders blog semi-pro JustFireBaby (AKA Vegas) has been contacted by newly appointed Raider GM Reggie McKenzie. GM McKenzie is of the mindset to fire just about everyone and he wished input from Vegas.
    Word has it that Stefan Wisniewski and Denarius Moore were the only names agreed upon as definite keepers.

• alzadoX

forget tagging bush. Maybe Branch. Better to work out long term deal. 7.7 million for backup RB when we need D? Need to keep priorities straight

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See February 28, 2012 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• Pingback: online forex account