Palmer joins Seymour, Huff as restructures

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 at 6:34 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Add quarterback Carson Palmer to the list of Raiders players who have restructured their contracts to help get the team below the NFL salary cap.

The club announced on its Twitter account Thursday that Palmer, along with defensive tackle Richard Seymour and safety Michael Huff, had restructured their contracts.

The salary cap is expected to be in the $120 million range when announced early next week. The Raiders, according to various reports, have been anywhere from $10 million to $20 million over the cap.

The Huff and Seymour restructures reportedly saved the Raiders more than $11 million against the cap. Palmer was due a $12.5 million salary, a figure that was likely slashed with money in the form of a roster bonus added with a possible extension. For bookkeeping purposes, that drops the cap number because bonus money is prorated over the life of the contract.

Still to be determined is the status of outside linebacker and nickel rusher Kamerion Wimbley, who is due $6.5 million in guaranteed money this season and $11 million in all.

If the Raiders desire to actually cut Wimbley’s payout, it’s possible the man who has 16 sacks over the past two seasons could end up being released and on the open market when the free agency period begins next Tuesday.

Another potential restructure could be linebacker Aaron Curry, who almost certainly won’t play for his existing $5.75 million salary in 2012 but has expressed a desire to remain a Raider.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Brandon Jacobs released. Could be a low cost option replacement for Bush.

• raiderjhawk

per PFT: “D.J. Williams statement reveals he was suspended for allegedly providing a “non-human” urine sample”

hahahaahhaha! Was it fake pee or did he follow his dog around the yard all day?

• lefty12

Maybe Wimbley will be kept,although I can’t see how we can justify his salary for the production he provides.I guess you will always have some players who are grossly overpaid.

• Marks hair

If brandon jacobs wasnt worth 5mil to the giants, what will bush get out there?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Len,

I think Curry, Lechler, and Jano will restructure. we will cut TK, Wimbley, and Henderson.
    I don’t think that will free more than $15 million in cap space.

• raiderzmaverick

I think Reggie will be good at finding people who aren’t just the “big names” that we all know, but someone that can come cheap but will be solid.

• raiderjhawk

I’d take Porter and Jacobs, I def think we could do worse than those two. Although Jacobs does have some Bush tendencies, trying to be twinkle toes instead of blasting and plowing. I think we need a bruiser but we could always move Reece to RB and have Tonga play FB full time.

• lefty12

Raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

hahahaahhaha! Was it fake pee or did he follow his dog around the yard all day?
    ============================================
    Nah,he used one of Tebow’s samples.Everyone in Denver thinks he is god and not human.

• Marks hair

Wimbley is gonzo, matk told me a week ago

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I want Williams & Carr, but I will settle for Williams and T Porter.

• RaiderLen

Lefty12 Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:34 pm
    ——————–
    Based on the guaranteed money due March 17th, I hope not Lefty.

When Reggie said “out of whack” I’m sure this is one of the deals he was referring to.

They might like some of Wimbley has to offer, but I don’t know how they “justify” it.

• Marks hair

Tonga got cut today no?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

===========================================

Wow. He really WAS a “beast”…

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

hahahaahhaha! Was it fake pee or did he follow his dog around the yard all day?
    ============================================
    Nah,he used one of Tebow’s samples.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    LMAO

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:35 pm
    Len,

I don’t think that will free more than $15 million in cap space.
    —————-
    Good point regarding Jano and Lech, I overlook them because they’re kickers…lol

• 8RaiderReign8

Why does everyone want to get rid of Kelly? He gets good pressure in the interior, his teammates respect him, and his cap hit isnt even that much compared to his production.

Maybe I just dont get it?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Marks hair Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Tonga got cut today no?

======================================

Without a link, I’m calling BS on that. Why cut Tonga? Dude’s not making more than the second-year minimum, whatever that is.

• r8eray

Jerry or Steve should be posting up here soon!

Raiders released CB Chris Johnson.
    Johnson’s $3.5 million base salary was a prohibitive number for a cornerback going on age 33 who was really little more than an Al Davis favorite. The move leaves 2011 third-round pick Demarcus Van Dyke as the most experienced cornerback on the Raiders’ roster. Johnson started 29 games over the 2008-2011 seasons. He may resurface elsewhere at a much cheaper rate.
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

• YoungAmerican

Raider O Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

YA,

That 70% burn rate with Marshall a few years back scares me.
    70%!!!??!!

—————-

Was only a part-time player for the beginning of the season. Started the last four or five games and his performance steadily improved. Check out the write-up ProFootballFocus did on him. Solid player, will be inexpensive and will at the very least provide some competition for Chekwa.

• 505raiders

roster spots opening up cap space is availible

now we can add some solid contribotors to the team as their getting released before FA

was getting worried about all the damn garuntee money we had on the books

reggie mac gettin it done

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

Just caught the end of a report from Clayton, on BSPN.
    That three donkeys have been suspended. Two got 6 games. one got 4 games..

Didn’t quite catch, who, and what for..

PED’s I assume?……

• YoungAmerican

He’s not necessarily an “impact” player, but Aubrayo Franklin would allow the Raiders to effectively show 3-4 looks.

If Freeney does indeed get cut, he’s very similar to Elvis Dumervil, who excelled in Allen’s defense in Denver.

• raiderjhawk

The Raiders are now under the cap according to someone on twitter.

Who said Tonga got cut? I haven’t seen that anywhere.

• Raiders for life

Can Jacobs block?
    I think deep down we all know the #2 RB might be starting in week 8.

• raiderjhawk

Some of you fools need to read through the previous posts before you come in here and “report” stuff that’s already been said. Your wasting our time. Try to keep up guys…

• lefty12

What Wimbley is showing is he isn’t a team player and those are the type of players I believe Reggie wants-TEAMates not Imates.Bush might also fall into that category.Remember when he was asked to play FB due to injuries and he refused?

• RaiderLen

YoungAmerican Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

——————–
    Thanks YA, I like the way you are thinking.

Those 2 would be solid additions.

I’d presume that Freeney would come cheaper than Wimbleys existing #’s, and provide better performance than Kam.

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:24 pm
    Eugene released because of “failed physical” according to Raiders on twitter.

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Bummer. He was one of our better special teams guys. Effective gunner, on kick coverage….

• RaiderLen

Raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:42 pm
    The Raiders are now under the cap according to someone on twitter.

Who said Tonga got cut? I haven’t seen that anywhere.
    ——————-
    Rockstar posted a Raider cut “wishlist” in response to the cuts made by the Colts.

No media source, just a spoof, but also an educated guess.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I overlook them because they’re kickers…lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I hate kickers!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RR was messing you people.

• 505raiders

wimblys an iddiot hes losing money in the long run nobodys gonna pay him what we were

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:49 pm
    I overlook them because they’re kickers…lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I hate kickers!
    ——————-
    I like OUR kickers, but damn, they make a lot of money!

• aig-raiders

No Jacobs pls. Dude is even a bigger twinkle toes than Bush. We can get an udfa for cheap to play the bruiser role. They’re not that hard to find.

Sad to see CJ37 gone. I did like that guy with the one decent year he had. He was a hitter too. He’d do well as a FS in this league with that speed and mean streak.

• raiderjhawk

RaiderLen, why would he wish for Tonga to be cut? that cut wouldn’t make any since. We would be left with no true blocking FB’s.

If we can’t afford another RB or want to spend that money on the D than: Move Reece to RB, Tonga plays FB full time and we’re golden brown. DMC, Reece, TJ.

• raiderjhawk

This is the post I’m talking about. I didn’t see RR’s post.

Marks hair Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Tonga got cut today no?

• RaiderLen

505raiders Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:50 pm
    —————–
    Therein lies the sticking point.

The Raiders, I believe, would like to keep him, but they want to pay him less over a re negotiated deal.

So, Wimbley and his agent need to determine where the greenest pasture lies, and stand in it.

• Raiders for life

Lechler is the emergency QB. Plus he can drop it on 2yd line 9-10 times. PLUS he can almost make a good hit if needed.

• raiderjhawk

So Wimbley is an idiot for expecting his employer to honor the contract they drew up for him???

Holy Mackerel.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I know we have two of the best kickers in football, but that has no impact on how I feel about kickers.

• RaiderLen

Raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

——————
    Can’t answer why Rockstar might have had Him on the list. I don’t know.

I’d just say that Tonga is inconsequential FINANCIALLY.

I wouldn’t expect him to be cut for salary cap reasons.

• raiderjhawk

Kickers are part of the game.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

So are Taxes, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    —————–
    I feel you O.

You know, back in the 70′s they were mostly foreigners…LOL

The good ones anyway.

• raiderjhawk

Touche’ Raider O, touche’

• Raiders for life

Kickers are part of the game

#########################

And every once in a while, they win the game.
    (or lose it)

• 505raiders

the way i see it is hes sticking with the contract he signed and i dont blame him for it

and thats bad for buisiness when your not living up to your contract and not willing to give and take

• RaiderLen

Raiderjhawk Says:
    March 9th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Holy Mackerel.
    —————

But the contract allows the raiders to release Him.

If He doesn’t want to re negotiate, he’ll take the 6.5 mil the raiders have paid him for THIS season, and find another deal elsewhere.

Wimbley is’nt getting screwed.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Len,

That’s because they grew up wanting to be soccer players. No normal kid dreams about becoming a kicker in the NFL.
    -What do you wanna be when you grow up?
    - NFL kicker!

• LA to TheBay

Yes.. of course. “I would have been so much different.”

Not one person with 30 mill thrown at him at 20 years old would turn out bad in this forum… NOT ONE!

Just watch…

————–

gdog, I never said I would have acted differently with all that money, I just told you what I was doing at 23.

I can tell you with 100% certainty if I got that kind of money at 18, I would have done it up like Russell (no syrup, bit I would have had a good time and probably ignored my responsibilities).

At 22, 23 it was just a different story.

And this points to a disturbing trend with these young draft picks and young athletes in general. Any Given Sunday touched on this a bit.

Ol school football players would sell cars and insurance in the offseason. Guys who got big time contracts weren’t rookies, they were proven vets and still not getting the same kind of scratch, proportionally that guys get today.

Free agency, the media, and a different culture in America changed things.

But you still got guys that go out there, get crazy paid and still put in work.

Cause they have something to prove. They have some pride in themselves. That’s all my point was.