Wimbley, Raiders at stalemate

The latest on the Kamerion Wimbley situation, via an e-mail from his agent, Joe Linta: “No outgoing calls and no incoming calls.”

If the Raiders have made their final offer and don’t have plans to sweeten the pot, Wimbley will likely be cut before free agency begins or at the very least by March 17.

To review, if Wimbley will get an extra $17.5 million in guaranteed money if he’s on the roster by that date _ his $4.5 million base this season, his $11 million base next season and at least $2 million of his $10 million base in 2014.

This is a different situation than with Stanford Routt, whom the club made no effort to keep. They wanted no part of the contract or the player. The Raiders like Wimbley, but want him to take less money. Wimbley figures he can take his $6.5 million guaranteed from the Raiders and add a rich contract in free agency that will be more money than Oakland has any intention of paying him. He’s a good nickel rusher, but he’s not DeMarcus Ware or Tamba Hali.

Bottom line is the Raiders way overpaid Wimbley last season and essentially priced themselves out of his services when taking into account a more sensible salary structure instituted by general manager Reggie McKenzie.

To lump Wimbley in with the recent contract repairs for Richard Seymour, Carson Palmer and Michael Huff and portray him as selfish isn’t fair. None of those players was asked to take a pay cut, only to move money around to lower the cap number.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• edward teach

Raider O Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:07 am
    It depends on what you want to do as an organization. Do you want to win and sell tickets that way, or do you bring in Tebow to sell tickets?
    If A team can win with Tebow, then why are Fox and Elway determined to upgrade that position. Fox said publicly that he doesn’t think he can win with Tebow and that offense, and their actions this off-season don’t suggest otherwise.

********************************************************

Which is probably why the Broncos are pushing hard to get him, and why the Jags’ owner is adamant about grabbing Tebow if it does happen. Denver’s sold out every game they’ve played for years, and Jax is trying to survive. If I’m Blaine Gabbert’s agent I’m on the phone the minute Manning signs (if he does), if not sooner.

His salary is 1.1 mil, and he has a 2.55 million roster bonus, not sure when that is due. Cap # is a nominal 3.5 mill

***

@bcz

does that mean the mules would actually SAVE money by dumping Te-Man ?

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Fox said publicly that he doesn’t think he can win with Tebow and that offense,….

++++++
    wow, that john Fox is one dumb SOB. Tebow won a playoff game & ranked 3rd in comebacks this season. its like saying Doug Flutie aint playing in the playoff game cause Doug Johnson is taller…dumb.

• edward teach

Gotta run, gentlemen. Thanks for the conversation!

• ET,

Maybe since its a new coaching staff, they can trade for Tebow to compete with Gabbert, but I don’t think that’s a good idea. It will hurt both QBs since both need a lot of work and all the snaps they can get, and it the organization will have to deal with the Tebow Fiasco.

• Good day ET.

• bcz24

please don’t refer to any horse humper wr’s as “Baby Calvin”
    **********
    I didn’t give him the nickname. Hes had it since college.

I think you are severely underestimating the Denver receiving core, or possibly severely OVER estimating the Jags receiving core. Either way, you are WAY off base.

• bcz24

Gabbert is never going to be a quality NFL QB. In fact, I will go so far as to say Tebow will have a better career as a passer than Gabbert will.

• edward teach

Raider O Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    ET,

*******************************************************

Exactly, O. Which is why if I’m Blaine Gabbert I’m on the first plane out if Tebow is coming on board.

Gabbert has to be at least as good as the other QBs behind Luck and Griffin in this yers’ draft. There are teams that probably wouldn’t bat an eye about trading for him (and his contract).

• MikieG

# hwnrdr Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 10:47 am

460.bcz24 Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 10:30 am
    So let it be written, so let it be done…

I’m sent here by the chosen one!
    What’s up, thec?
    ********************
    Gotta love a little Creeping Death to get the day going.

+++++++++++

Word

I am actually listening to the Government Mule Led Zeppelin tribute album “The Holy Haunted House”

“California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain
    Honolulu Starbright – the song remains the same!!”

I think you are severely underestimating the Denver receiving core

***

this one!

donkey coaching staff = average
    donkey qb’s not named tebow. (orton, quinn, weber, branstetter) = trash
    donkey rb’s = average
    donkey wr’s = trash
    donkey te’s = trash
    donkey oline = average
    donkey defense = average
    donkey kicker = excellent!

wow, that john Fox is one dumb SOB.

***

Agreed with Macho Man. there goes Tebow’s trade value

Denver will be forced to take what they can get!

• Fk Wimbley and his horse! GSW is only 3 games out of the 8th spot.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

CAP IS 120.6 MILLION

donkey rb’s = average

Really? You give them too much credit.

dontkey rb’s = trash, (Moreno sucks, McGahee aging/injury prone)

• Wimbley has a severe case of R Seymour disease. Shows up for 3 games a year and the rest is history.

Blaine Gabbert & Tim Tebow both have reasonable contracts.

I don’t think Tebow would shy away from a QB competition.

if Gabbert does, it’s safe to say he’s not going to accomplish much in this league

Tebow was better than Orton, so it’s not going to be a huge shock if he beats out Gabbert.

and if Tebow doesn’t change his style of play and ends up getting hurt? Gabbert will have another shot to QB the Jags even if he does lose the QB battle during the offseason!

• guest123

Kam is all about the money. I bet he can’t wait to be cut. It’s gotta kill him to see all that money fly for Mario and other big name FA’s. Regardless of the lack of FA DE’s, everyone’s cap number shrinks a bit more after 3 days of free agency. By Friday, it will be the second tier of “value FA’s”.

Kam will be kicking rocks when he sees the deals that are offered. He’ll still get paid, but he won’t come close to recouping his deal with Al. I hope the Raiders don’t cut him till 11:59 PM on Friday Night.

• bcz24

MJD was the second leading receiver on the Jags last year.

Believe me JACKSONVILLE would take Denvers receivers over their own too.

• guest123

I don’t think Tebow would shy away from a QB competition.

*******

I agree, especially considering that in Denver, he’ll be assigned clipboard holder, gatorade fetcher for Peyton.

• DJ Johnny

519.guest123 Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:25 am
    donkey rb’s = average

Really? You give them too much credit.

dontkey rb’s = trash, (Moreno sucks, McGahee aging/injury prone)

What does that say about OUR defense to let those guys rush for over 200 yds. against us?

• bcz24

I hope the Raiders don’t cut him till 11:59 PM on Friday Night.
    ********************
    He has to be cut by 3:59pm eastern in order for the league to recognize the transaction as being completed on Friday, or his guarantees will become fully guaranteed.

• guest123

I can’t even name any Jacksonville receivers, they are the suck.

bcz24 Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:30 am
    I hope the Raiders don’t cut him till 11:59 PM on Friday Night.
    ********************

*********

All right then! 3:59 EST it is!

• 1960AutumnWind

“Tebow was better than Orton”

*********************
    Based on what? Fan demand??? His preseason did not indicate that. For those that say Denver would have been 4-12 with Orton – we have no idea what would have happened if Orton had stayed on. The Defense took time to gel and with a whole new coaching staff some things would have taken time to get going for them.

I really hope we get to see Tebow in Broncos blue for the next decade!!!

*********

I take no ownership of “OUR” defense. That was all on the pathetic UFL DC who’s name will not be mentioned.

MJD was the second leading receiver on the Jags last year.

***

@BCZ

if DMAC stayed healthy a whole season, he might be #1 in receptions!

• guest123

I really hope we get to see Tebow in Broncos blue for the next decade!!!

********

As much as I like that option, I really, really want to see Peyton in Donkey Blue/orange for the rest of his short career. He isn’t the same man, and will break down quickly. His ego is too large to allow a safety net QB behind him. So when the wheels come off in dungver, they will be off for a decade. What could be better?

• Just Fire Baby

*********************************

I bought into the Gabbert pre-draft hype a little too much, about his great work since he was a teenager with his QB coach and all that.

Not sure what you call it in football, but in baseball, what he does is step in the bucket. When you can’t hit the inside fastball, you bail and flail.

He doesn’t like being hit, and throws fade-away passes to get a step ahead of contact. Crowd the WR and LOS, and he is useless.

I think he won’t be long in this league.

I can’t even name any Jacksonville receivers, they are the suck

***

they were good enough to allow Garrard 4 or 5 TD’s against us in 2010

• Gabbert completed 50% of hiss passes and he was a rookie. Cam & Dalton had fantastic seasons and both completed over 58% of their passes.
    Tebow was in his sexing year in the league, threw less, and still couldn’t avg 50%.
    Are you kidding me?!

Tebow was in his second year in the league, threw less, and still couldn’t avg 50%.
    Are you kidding me?!

• J Hill

all right then! 3:59 EST it is!

—————————————————————

and 38 seconds.

Allowing just enough time for 2 rings and a fax confirmation.

• guest123

Well the first thing that Gabbert needs to do is get rid of that Laura Ingalls hair curls. Makes him look like an even bigger pvssy than he is when he curls up in the fetal position.

• Damn!
    I thought it didn’t post.
    Damn you auto-correct!

they were good enough to allow Garrard 4 or 5 TD’s against us in 2010

********

Since when is our defense a measuring stick for relative offensive success?

• Just Fire Baby

GSW is only 3 games out of the 8th spot.

********************************

A winning record since we started starting Udoh.

David Lee + Ekpe Udoh are actually an above average NBA frontcourt.

• DJ Johnny

530.guest123 Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:33 am

*********

I agree. My bad.

• bcz24

@BCZ

if DMAC stayed healthy a whole season, he might be #1 in receptions!
    ***************
    That wouldn’t be saying much, but your boy DHB had 64 receptions, I doubt if DMAC would ever get more than 40-45. I would be seriously worried about our receiving core if DMAC led the team in receptions.

• Just Fire Baby

Raider O,

That is like the 5th time this weekend, you are valuing a QB based on completion percentage.

Stop it!!!!

Gabbert is garbage, has no heart, and completed a bunch of 4 yard passes to get his 58%. His 210 completions only had 4 completions of 40+ yards, for a ratio of 1 out of 52, 2nd worst in the NFL behind only Mark Sanchez.

Since when is our defense a measuring stick for relative offensive success?

***

@G123

99% of Raider fans loved our defense under DC John Marshall when we were #2 in sacks and had Nnamdi Asomugha in the secondary

I was among the 1% .. stuff the run = win the game .. ROMAC = fraud

• guest123

Thomlinson had 100 receptions one year and the SD offense didn’t skip a beat. I have no problem with DMAC being an 80 catch guy. In fact, use him in space, and watch a little 3 yard throw go for 20 or more. The key is get him in space. 40 to 45 catches for DMAC (in a fully healthy season) is way way too low. He needs to be emphasized with at least 7 targets a game. He’s the best player. You have to use him more.

your boy DHB had 64 receptions

***

@bcz

yup. this year King Darrius will have 75-90 catches !!

• hwnrdr

541.Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:41 am
    GSW is only 3 games out of the 8th spot.

********************************

A winning record since we started starting Udoh.

David Lee + Ekpe Udoh are actually an above average NBA frontcourt.

They had a good weekend! i was supposed to be there this past Saturday, but my friends chose not to go because they felt it was better to go to a party instead…oh well, to be young again!

@G123

I was among the 1% .. stuff the run = win the game .. ROMAC = fraud

*********
    I admit I was with the 99%. We just didn’t have the offense back then that we do now.

• Just Fire Baby

Hoping for 80-85 receptions from Darren McFadden is pretty pie in the sky if you ask me.

I am at about 50/50 he will give us 100 CARRIES this season.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:49 am

I am at about 50/50 he will give us 100 CARRIES this season.

********

Yeah, I’m pretty optimitic. But if DMAC goes down for a long stretch, I will back waaaaay off any hopes for 2012. As DMAC goes, so go the Raiders.

• It took M Jackson 2 months to realize Biedrins was killing the team. D Wright also needs more time on the bench, why start that cat ? Udoh is turning into something VERY nice. Nate (mini 50 cent) is a nice spark off the bench especially when Curry tweaks his feet/ankles every other game.

When does Kwame return?
    _________

hwnrdr Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:48 am

A winning record since we started starting Udoh.

David Lee + Ekpe Udoh are actually an above average NBA frontcourt.

• Trade DMAC for Tebow!

Then cut the poseur.

• Just Fire Baby

Wright played pretty well last night. He is a bit streaky, but he is a decent on-the-ball perimeter defender, and doesn’t seem to try to do too much offensively.

Nate Robinson is cool as a backup, and is also a really good defender, but his high-wire act will eventually run thin. He is not a natural PG and his assist to turnover ratio isn’t very good.

Udoh is a future NBA all-first team defender.