Could Bush return to the Raiders?

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 at 8:00 pm in Oakland Raiders.

For as much as Michael Bush loved playing for the Raiders the past five seasons, he spoke often about the prospect of being the lead back. If not for the Raiders, so be it. He wants a chance to show what he can do as the lead back.
He got that chance last season as a result of an injury to lead back Darren McFadden. Bush started the final nine games and rushed for a career-high 977 yards.
Yet, Bush knows that regardless how well he played, he was just keeping the job warm for when McFadden returned from his foot injury.
Now that McFadden is healed and ready to go, Bush once again would be relegated to a complementary role in the Raiders offense.
Hence, Bush hit the free-agent market Mar. 13 in an effort to see if he could find the opportunity he has yearned for since he entered the league with the Raiders in 2007 — he sat out his rookie season while recovering from a broken leg he suffered in his final season at the University of Louisville.
For whatever reason, the market for veteran running backs such as Bush — regarded as one of the best on the open market — has been lukewarm, at best.
Bush has visited the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals. Both times, he left without a contract in hand. The Seattle Seahawks and New York Jets reportedly also are interested in Bush’s services. Interestingly, he has no chance of being the lead back in either Seattle or Chicago next season.
Therefore, it brings about the prospect of Bush returning to the Raiders in 2012 if he isn’t able to land a starting gig elsewhere.
That’s something few thought possible as recently as two weeks ago. Yet, now it seems more and more plausible.
Bush has said numerous times how much he enjoys playing for the Raiders. So, if all things are equal, it would seem to mean the Raiders have a strong chance of getting back Bush if things don’t change soon.
Don’t rule it out.

• raidertbone

233.hwnrdr Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:10 am
    Who did we pick when AP was drafted? Was it McFadden or DHB?

______________________________________

It was #2 (“He who must not be named!”)

• Dakota

I would pay Bush $3 million a year, say on a 3-4 year deal, if I was the Raiders. he isnt perfect, but he is worth that much as an insurance policy

• SilverNBlackPA

Dakota Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:31 am

+++++++++

Not sure they have the cap room to fork that much over for a backup RB though, unless they gave him a ton up front as a signing bonus and had relatively low base salaries.

• Marks hair

Bush, law firm, hightower and turner.. Reg will wait for the prices to drop at rb. He might wait till after the draft.

• raidertbone

Maybe Reggie could work out an incentive-laden deal for Bush on a one-year contract; if DMC gets injured again and Bush reverts back to the starter role, they could factor in bonuses for games started and yards produced. If DMC goes down again, cut ties and go with Bush – renegotiate the deal and make it longer term. I hate to view it this way but I believe this is McFadden’s make-or-break year!

FA RB’s

Thomas Jones
    Mewelde Moore
    Maurice Morris
    Chester Taylor
    Derrick Ward
    Carnell Williams

Michael Bush won’t get a big money deal anywhere!

• raidertbone

I heard a hilarious report out of ESPN this morning that Tebow might consider playing for the Silver and Black, so he could have a chance to “stick it to the Broncos”. LMFAO

• guest123

252, agreed. Maybe a 4 yr $12M deal with $6M gtd.

• Dakota

I’d take Benson, BJGE, T. Jones, or caddy williams!

Jacob Tamme’s visit with the Seahawks ended without a signed contract and that Tamme is now on his way to Denver

Jeff Saturday is still slated for a visit with Denver this week, but he’s heading to the Titans first.

***

Denver Colts?

• Marks hair

Who were the guys that wanted to tag bush?lol

• SilverNBlackPA

raidertbone Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:37 am

++++++++++++++++++

Haha, RIGHT. That would mean Reggie would have to have interest in Tebow, which I’ll bet he doesn’t. Nor do the Raiders have draft picks to trade. And Elway will keep Tebow before trading him within the division; it’d be a PR nightmare to have to see him twice a year, particularly if Manning busts as a signing. (Unlikely, but still)

BSPN’s reporting and analysis boils down to throwing a ton of schit at a wall and hoping something sticks.

Plus we have Pryor who has all Tebow’s running skills and might develop into a real QB someday. Maybe I’m the only one, but I believe in Pryor. If he ever becomes anything, Cork will never hear the end of it from me.

• guest123

I like to tag bush! Over here! me! me!

• SilverNBlackPA

With Bush, at most I’d go something like 3 years/$8 million with $2.5 guaranteed and $1.5 million of that paid in a signing bonus up front.

• edward teach

I hope Elway signs as many former Colts as possible, and that they take starting spots from guys that have been there awhile and contributed. Good chance for a divided locker room that way.

• Marks hair

The jets want tebow.

• SilverNBlackPA

Marks hair Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:43 am
    The jets want tebow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That’ll be a horror. The New York media + Tebow? I’ll never watch any sports show again.

• hwnrdr

263.guest123 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:42 am
    I like to tag bush! Over here! me! me!

LMAO!

• Marks hair

I didnt mean that kinda bush guest

• Marks hair

267. Yup.. The east coast media just loves their gay azz hero stories .

• Thec

Jameel McClain

• R8ER MIKE

I WANT BUSH !!!
    hot,wet,sloppy bush !!!
    bring it on !!!

• SilverNBlackPA

R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:47 am
    I WANT BUSH !!!
    hot,wet,sloppy bush !!!
    bring it on !!!

+++++++++++++++++++

We know bush can take a pounding, that’s for sure!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good morning Nation.
    Any news on Porter?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I WANT BUSH !!!
    hot,wet,sloppy bush !!!
    bring it on !!!

+++++++++++++++++++

We know bush can take a pounding, that’s for sure!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LMAO

• SilverNBlackPA

Looks like free agency is giving bush the shaft!

• edward teach

271.Thec Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:47 am
    Jameel McClain

********************************************************

Thec has the right idea. I’d love to see this kid in Oakland. I’ve heard that the Ravens really want to keep him, though. Here’s hoping he slips through the cracks.

• Pingback: Michael Bush’s Departure Not Yet a Foregone Conclusion « SBreport.com

• guest123

Bush is getting abused in this room, that’s for sure.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dakota Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:31 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I think we can draft a RB, or sign an URFA to be a capable backup to DMAC for a lot less than $3 million. I rather use that $3 million on signing a NT, OLB, or CB.

• raiderjhawk

I wouldn’t pay Bush 3 mil a yr. I just don’t think he’s a lead back, he’s had some good games but he’s also disapeared at times too. I wouldn’t have a problem with a contract based on performance though. BJGE is the way to go unless we can get Bush on the cheap.

• guest123

edward teach Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:52 am
    271.Thec Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:47 am
    Jameel McClain

********************************************************

*********
    What I’ve seen of that McClain is he’s a beast. We should go after him.

• R8ER MIKE

All this talk about taging bush and sliping through the cracks. i need to go get a hold of the old lady.. brb !!

• SilverNBlackPA

R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:56 am

++++++++++

LMFAO.

• edward teach

********************************************************

I still can’t believe he didn’t take the Chiefs seriously. They are so much more talented than the Broncos, on both sides of the ball.

• John David Booty

I’ll pass on Bush, his best years are behind him. Id rather draft a fresh pair of RB legs to back up Dmac, and there will be plenty available.

• raidertbone

Tebow to the Jets? I think the locker room would either explode, or God would just strike everyone down with a massive bolt!

• raidertbone

Before free agency started, I really thought KC was a legitimate landing spot for Manning. I don’t know why they didn’t make a serious run at him …

• SilverNBlackPA

John David Booty Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am

++++++++

There’s definite options out there in the late rounds/potential UDFA categories:

Isaiah Pead out of Cincinnati
    Cyrus Gray out of Texas A&M
    Vick Ballard out of Mississippi State
    Robert Turbin out of Utah State

• SilverNBlackPA

I tell you who I LOVE is Doug Martin out of Boise State, but he’ll probably get snagged in the 2nd-4th round and I’m not sure the Raiders should be drafting an RB that high with one of their comp picks.

• raidertbone

I have confidence in Reggie to be able to truly evaluate the draft board and get the best player available, determined by need. Break up the Raider 4×100 meter sprint team!

• Marks hair

288. His agent let teams know that his list of potential destinations was pretty short.

• John David Booty

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:04 am
    John David Booty Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am

++++++++

Isaiah Pead out of Cincinnati
    Cyrus Gray out of Texas A&M
    Vick Ballard out of Mississippi State
    Robert Turbin out of Utah State
    ——————————————
    Exactly. Any of these players could fall. Id say Pead and Turbin MIGHT be gone before the Raiders pick, but Gray is NICE, and he may still be around, as well as Ganaway. Cyrus Gray would be a real nice replacement for Bush, IMO. Is good between tackles, has good hands, as he also used to play WR. Even seen him return kicks. Yeah, would definitely like to see Gray get drafted as a backup RB.

• edward teach

So, I know this is a football blog (mostly), but this is a painfully funny chronology of the Golden State Warriors, written to help explain why the entire arena booed Joe Lacob so unmercifully the other night.

If you’re a Warriors fan you’ll remember a lot of this, but the sheer volume of stupid decisions will probably shock (and amuse) you anyway;

• R8ER MIKE

John David Booty Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am
    I’ll pass on Bush
    ***************************
    how can a guy named Booty pass on Bush ??

• Marks hair

294 the warriors are the worst thing ever.. Total hot mess.

• hwnrdr

295.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:17 am
    John David Booty Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am
    I’ll pass on Bush
    ***************************
    how can a guy named Booty pass on Bush ??

LOL

• John David Booty

R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:17 am
    John David Booty Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:00 am
    I’ll pass on Bush
    ***************************
    how can a guy named Booty pass on Bush ??
    ——————————————–
    ONLY in this instance.

• Marks hair

271. I like jameel mcClain. Suprised nobodys grabed him.. It looks like we’re staying 4-3 on d, because we’re not talking to any ilbs or nts..

• Dakota

281.raiderjhawk Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:55 am
    ++++++++++++++++++

Is $3 million a year considered starter’s money? I thought that was pretty cheap.