Raiders re-sign Barnes

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 at 10:53 am in Oakland Raiders.

Khalif Barnes has joined Cooper Carlisle as incumbent offensive linemen welcomed back into the fold under new coach Dennis Allen, Barnes told Bay Area News Group on Wednesday.
Barnes re-signed with the Raiders on Wednesday, giving the Raiders the luxury of going with four of the five starters from last year’s team — Jared Veldheer, Stefen Wisniewski, Carlisle and Barnes. Center Samson Satele is the only one who won’t be back.
Barnes, who turns 30 next month, started all 16 games at right offensive tackle last season and played well enough for Allen to want him back for another season.
Barnes has the inside track to keeping the job, though it’s likely that the Raiders will take a long look at youngsters Bruce Campbell and Joseph Barksdale, too.
Barnes is a seven-year pro who has the versatility to play either tackle spot, as well as guard. He spent his first four NFL seasons at left tackle with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

• Dakota

patrick lee = special teams

poprox13 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:42 am

McNabb

TP will be our # 2

No and No!
    =========

Who?

Pat who?

• hwnrdr

99.Lowdown_in_Beijing Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:47 am
    “Raiders agreed to terms with CB Patrick Lee, formerly of the Packers, on a one-year contract.

The 28-year-old is a failed former second-round pick out of Auburn, but he did rack up nine special teams tackles in Green Bay last year. Familiar with new GM Reggie McKenzie, Lee will compete for a spot in sub-packages with Oakland”

Great! Him and Underwood can challenge each other on special teams!

• DMAC

The 28-year-old is a failed former second-round pick out of Auburn, but he did rack up nine special teams tackles in Green Bay last year. Familiar with new GM Reggie McKenzie, Lee will compete for a spot in sub-packages with Oakland.
    Related: Packers
    Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

• SilverNBlackPA

Just wrote a comment on PFT that’s going to get downrated to schit and gone:

“Man, boring day, falling asleep at my desk…

…zzzzzzz….

Adam Schefter tweets, “The Oakland Raiders have traded QB Carson Palmer, RB Darren McFadden & their 2014 1st round draft pick to the New Orleans Saints for QB Drew Brees.”

…zzzzz…*snort* *shakes head* *wakes up*

Man, what a beautiful dream I just had.”

:) Gotta have fun with those guys over there.

• Hardline

Re-signing Barnes seems reasonable. He’s not a great O tackle but good enough as a backup and good enough to start while developing a gem in the rough. We can’t gut our entire inventory of O-linemen with no reserves.

Loss of Satele seems reasonable too. Satele was too small, got stood up and pushed back consistently and had too many penalites. We need to develop one of our youngters to become a franchise center.

• SilverNBlackPA

DMAC Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:49 am

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Possible replacement for Cartwright as special teams guy?

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

Lee replaces Eugene.

Back to bed, insomnia sux.

• Dakota

Barnes 1 yr $2 million

• JB

Time for Reggie to focus on 1 NT & 3 new OLB’s. Once we get that we are ready for a good 3-4 defense.

Lowdown_in_Beijing Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:50 am

Lee replaces Eugene.

Back to bed, insomnia sux.
    ========

Night, night

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

With all respect to Raider O, I think Lee’s signing means we can forget about Porter.

• Dakota

Do we have any ex-saints on the roster….that investigation is still pending.

JB Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:50 am

========

and 1 cb

• 505raiders

keep bring them in were bound to find some keepers

cant do worst than last years cbs

• Thec

JEMEEL MCCLAIN

RaiderDuck Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:52 am

========

You mean Portet?

• guest123

Not impressed by these moves to secure Barnes (scrub) and other scrubs that eat into the $5M remaining cap space. It sends a signal to any reasonable quality vet FA that the Raiders aren’t buying.

So long A. Franklin, so long T. Porter, so long C. Lofton, any of the other hot names on the FA market. Reggie Mac’s sitting on his hands.

***

secondary complete!

• HairyBush

Not that it matters but I’m really shocked the Jags or Phins didn’t make more of an effort to get Tebow. If for no other reason the Jags probaly would have put more butts in the seats.

I wonder if they did try to get him but the NYJ’s were more aggresive and Denver just wanted him out as fast as possible for minimal distracion in Denver. I’m guessing the 1st team that made a reasonable offer the Broncos were all over it. Tebow was under a microscope before, He’s in for a real treat with the NY media. lol

• CJ Legend 34

Drew Breese WILL be an Oakland Raider!!!!!

****Sean Peyton and Drew Breese will be Raiders next year-sweet silver and black!!!********

Wow!!! Now that Sean Payton was suspended for a year, maybe the Saints management fires the guy! That could make Payton our new Offensive Coordinator next year when he can’t land a job as a head coach and brings Drew Breese with him who is now a pissed off franchised tag player. To bad for the Saints, sweet team but great for the Raiders.

When it happens remember I made this call!!! I did this to you, remember my name!!! : )

Get ready Raiders for 2013!!!!!!!

• CTConstruction

QUIET SLEEPER FREE AGENT:

STEVE SMITH (WR -USC TROJANS) FORMERLY OF GIANTS AND EAGLES

• SilverNBlackPA

LOL, CJ Legend34…I was just clownin’…surely you aren’t serious?

• DMAC

Lee is a special teamer. Takes over for for “stiff armed Eugene”

• HairyBush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:56 am

***

secondary complete!

——————–
    When you say complete, Do you mean a complete mess?

• DMAC

Did Ej Henderson ever get signed?

• SilverNBlackPA

I highly doubt Lee is viewed as anything but a special teamer or an “Oh schit, everyone is hurt, we need a live body” emergency. 50/50 shot he even makes the team.

• Dakota

Tornado warnings near New Orleans….bad day for them.

• VanHeathen

Barnes draws a flag just stepping off of the sidelines, then will argue it over witht he ref while the 25 second clock expires…
    kid needs to tighten up his game.

• CJ Legend 34

I am not a big Barnes fans but I think this is a good move by Reggie. You bring back a player to an offensive line like it or not had some success running the ball early in the season. Yes, the bone haed made a number of bad penalties, but for the price he still adds good depth.

I look at the move as cheap insurance.

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I look at the move as cheap insurance.
    =======

I agree

• guest123

I was buying the line from Cork regarding the Raiders in a rebuilding year.

They couldn’t be rebuilding if they are paying Seymour $15M and frachise Branch, right? right?

Well ever since then, it’s been bargain basement, thrift store signings. I think it’s clear it’s a rebuilding year guys. Reggie Mac has spoken.

Shoulda never kept Seymour or Branch if that was the objective.

Nuts!

• DMAC

Is Shaun Rodgers available?

• JB

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:59 am

***********************

In other words, 2012′s Jerome Boyd…

• SilverNBlackPA

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I look at the move as cheap insurance.

++++++++++++++++

Exactly right. I’m sure Barnes will compete with Barksdale & Campbell for the RT spot. And let’s face it, if one of them can’t beat him out, that tells us pretty much all we need to know about them.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Hwnrdr Says:

LOL, I’m sure the refs will find a way to get 2 penalties accepted at the same time!

————————-

I meant back to back penalties in that instance, but if anyone can get two at the same time if they ever made that rule change, Barnes could!

• joker94583

Just signed Patrick Lee at CB from Packers. Don’t know much about him.

• guest123

Hate this signing of Barnes. Only for league minimum and a camp body. If they invested any more than that, I’m very disappointed.

• HairyBush

guest123 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:02 pm
    I was buying the line from Cork regarding the Raiders in a rebuilding year.

Shoulda never kept Seymour or Branch if that was the objective.

Nuts!

—————
    I could see signing Branch long term because of his age. Seymour doesn’t make tons of sense to me, Unless Big Reg is going to be doing some wheeling and dealing around the draft. If I’m a betting man I’m saying there won’t be any big moves this year.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Told you Ol´Roger would come down with a hammer on the Saints…pretty glad they crushed em

• guest123

I’d go so far to say I wish we would have retained Satele instead of Barnes. And that’s saying something.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

DMAC Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    Is Shaun Rodgers available?

————-

Brought that up myself the other day. Word is he’s got real lazy….I say we give him a flyer and see if our strength and conditioning coaches are up to the task. If he can lose like 10 lbs (it’d be great for him and would show us our conditioning team is top notch), he could be useful for a down or 2 a series, and he’d come cheap… If nothing good, cut him…

• JB

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I look at the move as cheap insurance.
    **********************

We needed some BU talent that can play BOTH T & G. In addition, he also plays TE in the Jumbo formation. I believe he will not start, being replaced by Barksdale at ORT. I still think picking him up was a good idea. He’s not expensive and he knows our system.

• DMAC

Time to earn that spot Barks/Campbell.
    Step ya game up!

• CJ Legend 34

136.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    CJ Legend 34 Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I look at the move as cheap insurance.

++++++++++++++++

—————————————————
    You got it!!! And they still have to make the final roster cuts.

• PurpleDrank81

Nothing makes me happier than watching Barnes do a touchdown dance

IN: Bartell, Spencer, Underwood & Lee

OUT: Routt, CJ37, Sheppard & Eugene

I’m cool with it!

SilverAndBlackBleeder Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:06 pm

DMAC Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    Is Shaun Rodgers available?

————-

=========

So he’s a FA?

• guest123

—————

*******

Do you see anyone taking him off our hands, especially since we paid him all that up-front bonus money for this year? I don’t see any wheeling and dealing that will move Seymour’s deal. We’re stuck with him imo.