Raiders trade Campbell for veteran running back

By Steve Corkran
Friday, March 30th, 2012 at 12:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Carolina Panthers running back Mike Goodson just Tweeted that he has been traded to the Raiders. One report said the Raiders traded offensive lineman Bruce Campbell in exchange for Goodson.
The Panthers just confirmed the deal. A Raiders official said via text that the deal is official.
“We wanted to acquire another player to compete at the running back position,” Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said in a press release. “He can do a lot of things in our scheme on offense. He’s very versatile, he has natural running skills, he’s a great receiver out of the backfield, and he has kick-return ability. I’m anxious to see if he can put all that together here as a Raider.”
Goodson, 6-feet and 212 pounds, entered the NFL as a fourth-round draft pick of the Panthers out of Texas A&M. He rushed for 501 yards on 125 carries the past three seasons as a seldom-used backup. He also caught 43 passes for 329 yards and averaged 21.7 yards on kick returns.
He is in the final season of his original contract, which calls for him to earn $615,000 this season. If the deal occurred, as Goodson said, Goodson is expected to compete with Taiwan Jones, Lonyae Miller and Rashawn Jackson for the backup spot to starter Darren McFadden.
That spot came open when Michael Bush bolted in free agency for a contract with the Chicago Bears.
Goodson started only three of the 28 games he played in the past three seasons. He played in only four games last season and finished the year on injured-reserve.
Campbell was a fourth-round pick of the Raiders in the 2010 NFL draft. They had high hopes for him as a potential fixture on their offensive line.
However, Campbell failed to materialize into a dependable player and played only sparingly both seasons. He appeared in 14 of 32 games the past two seasons, with no starts.
In other news, Adam Caplan reported that East Carolina offensive tackle Stephen Baker is scheduled for a pre-draft visit with the Raiders in April.

• Chris in NY

Seymour, hard to overpay for a guy with a 4th round pick. I know Campbell needed work with his technique. I think he’s one of those guys who is so physically superior he’s able to dominate guys on the high school and college level while not being technically sound. Would have been nice to see if he could’ve been coached up. I saw him dominate some guys in preseason games with less than stellar technique.

The other thing to remember is that at least one other NFL team agrees with me, the Panthers who just traded for BC. So it’s not like I’m off the reservation with my opinion that I’d rather have BC.

• mcfadden20.

76 OAKLAND RAIDERS Greatest team of all time-

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT NATION

CODE BLACK

• Area man

AD might have made this trade too. And probably thrown in a 3rd & 4th round pick for next year.
    No More Scholarships !

• raiderzmaverick

I think it’s a good trade. We have a solid special teams player if nothing else.

In emergencies, he looks like he could run the ball occasionally if we handle his fumble problem.

• ohioraider

Rather sad that Al desperately wanted to win, throwing money at projects, head cases, and workout warriors, never realizing it was his very antiquated system that brought the franchise low. Even the most brilliant of men ultimately need rescued from their own hubris. But who has the nerve to tell them that the world has passed them by?

• The Oracle

If we plugged in OL off the street, why would one think Campbell was never given a shot?

Could it possibly mean he was a liability and staff had zero confidence?

• alex7

Panthers have 3 stud RBs ahead of Goodson. That’s where good trades are made. Get players that are better than their current status on their team.

Jets FA acquisition of Chaz is a similarly solid deal.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

The Oracle Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Could it possibly mean he was a liability and staff had zero confidence?

=========================================

That’s exactly what it means. Somebody on here posted a scout’s assessment of Bruce and it mentioned that when trying to cut-block, he’d just throw himself on the ground without actually, you know, BLOCKING anyone.

Football is not for him. I wish him luck in his MMA and/or bodybuilding career.

• No Mas Diamante

Goodson is a good special teamer. So is Pat Lee. Reg knows what he’s doing. we will get a lot more production from him than we would of with campbell.

• Chris in NY

The other thing is I really happen to like Lonyae Miller, dating back to his college days.

• 303Raider

Getting rid of Al’s trash! Keep it going R-Mac!

Finally applying some stategic, deliberate, thinking in regards to getting rid of and aquiring talent.

Now we can use most of our picks on the D-Line, LB, and more O-Line depth!

• Seymour Bush

Chris in NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

======================================

I don’t know, The Bronco’s just traded Tim Tebow for a 4th round pick, and Demeco Ryans just got traded for a 4th rounder, so someone has to feel there is value there. Guys at this level do not get dominated physically very much. That’s why technique is so important. And I don’t know about Bruce Campbell’s toughness. That, you MUST have at this level.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

No Mas Diamante Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

————————————-
    Agreed.

• Seymour Bush

RaiderDuck Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Football is not for him. I wish him luck in his MMA and/or bodybuilding career.
    =======================================

I think this is exactly correct.

• Chris in NY

Seymour, the point is it’s hard to call a player drafted in the 4th round a reach. At that point you’re drafting for backups or taking swings on unpolished prospects with upside, good players with injury concerns, etc. Don’t think I’ve ever heard of a 4th rounder called a reach.

Besides, Goodson was also a 4th round pick. Was he a reach? A bust? Like people are saying about Campbell.

Guys were traded straight up for one another. So obviously the pros are divided on Campbell’s value. Sounds like the Panthers think very highly of him.

• 1960AutumnWind

Chris In NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    Lonyae Miller > Goodson
    *******************
    Really? put this guy on the trade block and see what you can get… Absolutely nothing. You are comparing a practice squad player with a player who can legitimately be a #2. The only reason Carolina traded him is they are too deep at RB and wanted to take a chance on BC.

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

Hope we don’t hear this very often from, Greg Papa next season:

Papa: “Raiders on the Chargers 42 yardline. Second and four yards to go, for a first down. Palmer takes the snap, pitch to Goodson, sweep right. HE FUMBLES THE BALL! Recovered by San Diego. Didn’t look like anyone touched him on that one, Tom?”

Flores: “Uhh, Sorry Greg. I was reaching for my flask, and did not see the play. What happened?”..

• iowaraider

I’m more worried about Tom fumbling his flask

• 1960AutumnWind

I more worried about 909 drinking the yellow coolaid from the flask…

• cfrylopez

I don’t like the trade, we got enough speed @ RB, We need more power! & I had high hope for Bruce Campbell, plus I love his Evil Dead & Army of Darkness movies. But wh@ I do like is th@ the 1976 Raider won NFL.com’s contest of who is the Greatest NFL team of all time! Coach Madden & Snake engineered another last minute comeback!

” You stand up for yourself & stand up for others from time to time, but don’t let the culture tell you how to do it, do it your way! That’s being a Raider!”
    Al Davis

• http://nfl.com 00raiders00

Just woke up. So is it a final 50.4% RAIDERS 49.6% ballessmore?I’m sure the nfl hates it but tough sh1t.
    Sweet.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Papa: “Raiders on the Chargers 42 yardline. Second and four yards to go, for a first down. Palmer takes the snap, pitch to McFadden, sweep right. Breaks into the secondary and there he goes!!! TouchDown Raiders!!!!!

===================================

I like my version better. lol

• Chris in NY

1960,
    Don’t think Goodson is 2nd string. Clearly behind DMC and Jones right now. Will prob compete with Miller and others for 3rd and maybe 4th spots. His special teams background will prob help him.

• http://nfl.com 00raiders00

wow. no mention on nfl dot com that the Raiders won. great win considering it was Raider fans versus the rest of the entire nation, 31 other nfl teams, and nfl brass conspiracies to flog the votes in favor of the ravens.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

909,

Nice, Flores must be a booze hound, what with the way he mumbles and stumbles…same for freaking Plunket.

Again, nice work.

• Seymour Bush

Chris in NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

===========================================

I agree, but you can certainly get very good players in the 4th round. Mike Bush was a fourth rounder, Tyvon was a fourth rounder, Shaun Phillips and Elvis Dumervill were fourth rounders. The difference to me at least, is we got a guy who came in and played and played well, versus a guy who might not have a lot of hope to see the field at all.

• iowaraider

With the switch to the WCO and zone blocking, there is not a great need for a bruiser. Besides, Bush was no Bruiser. He was a 245 lb finesse back that thought he had more Barry Sanders than Jerome Bettis in him. We need slashers and guys that can read developing blocks.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiders

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiderrrrrrs

Way to hold it down on the voting fellas….

I’m outta here….Boss lettin’ us skate early

Enjoy the weekend NATION and be sure to check out ‘dem Cardinals tomorrow as we shock the world and mash on UK in Lou Orleans! Cardi-Gras!

I’m out

Rack ‘em

• 1960AutumnWind

Chris In NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:43 pm
    1960,

*********************************
    Guess we will see in Camp/PreSeason. TJ seems to be built more like a WR than a RB. I think Goodsen has a better balance of speed and power and when given a chance he has done well in games. It is just hard to break through when you have two good backs ahead of you. I also think the fumbling has downgraded him as well.

Sometimes (such as with TJ) I think we elevate our guys better than they are. For instance everyone thought JC is a starter and he went right for a BU spot and Bush was so great but he is a semi backup etc… Think of all the backs that signed before Bush and for good contracts as well.

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

Exla….

Touche my friend, touche….

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

McFadden20,

Thank you for all your hard work that helped get the 76 Raiders selected as the greatest team.

You are the man McFadden20.

McFadden20 as Raiders Motivational Speaker!

• Seymour Bush

The big knock on Goodson is he coughs it up. Which is why he wasn’t playing. 5 fumbles in 125 touches? That is waaay too much. Compare that to Mike Bush who coughed it up 5 times in 600+ touches.

• fingers

1976 Raiiiiidddeerrrrsssz…..Superbowl Winners…

• Seymour Bush

Sorry I guess you guys all knew that already.

• Tjbwall

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    ===========================
    Goodson wasnt playing because of guys named DeAngelo Williams & Jonathon Stewart

125 touches? you mean rushes. The guy has had 75 returns & 45 receptions

• Chris in NY

Bush pretty much got borderline starter money and paid as well or better than many starting RBs. Personally, I always felt it was very iffy for Campbell to land a starting job. Always felt he’d land somewhere like the NYJ or Jags with an starter in place but on thin ice.

I realize Jones is slightly taller/thinner than many backs, but he’s bigger and faster than say Warrick Dunn, who excelled on the NFL level. Probably comparable in terms of size to the Titans’ Chris Johnson. Prob just about as explosive, too.

• zopi

It’s amazing how this board gets in the words of teblows, “excited,” when RegMac trades trash for trash. I guess this is the state of the Raiders as of now.

I want to imagine the day when the Raiders sign a real impact player.

• Seymour Bush

125 touches? you mean rushes. The guy has had 75 returns & 45 receptions
    ====================================

Sorry it’s been kind of a busy day. On the other side, with Jason Peters just tearing his achilles in workouts, looks like the value of OT’s has just gone up. Which might be why Carolina was looking at Campbell.

• iowaraider

Bush reminded me of Fred Flinstone when Fred would bowl.

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

219.1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 3:40 pm
    I more worried about 909 drinking the yellow coolaid from the flask…
    “““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Only, Patron Silver, Bushmills Irish Whiskey, or RumpleMintz 100 proof peppermint schnapps, in my flask… Thanks for your concerns, though….

Lowdown!…How ya doin over there?…

• Chris in NY

The other thing about Bush is he can be pretty shaky in terms of pass protection. That’s going to hurt a back’s value big time in today’s NFL. I know many in here are aware of that fact. It’s probably the only thing that kept him from a true, unquestioned starting position.

• Tjbwall

====================================

=========================
    Had we kept the PBS i’d have liked to keep Campbell, I think at the least we’ve got a punt returner/special teams guy as well as a Mcfadden isurance policy

& we saved some draft picks!?

• Seymour Bush

Goodson certainly is versatile. Wheeler could play either OLB position and the DB’s they have already brought in are slated for special teams positions as well as defense. Versatility seems to be a recurring theme in the guys RM is bringing in.

• Chris in NY

Wheeler would prob be Reg’s best move, other than keeping most of the roster in tact.

Guy was handed a Super Bowl caliber team if we can just stay healthy.

• Seymour Bush

There goes Robert Turbin off the Raiders board in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Chris in NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Guy was handed a Super Bowl caliber team if we can just stay healthy.

===========================================

Offensively, maybe. Defensively, we were terrible.

• 1960AutumnWind

Chris In NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

************************************
    Chris

One reason I like the trade for Goodsen is even though you like BC the fact that we drafted Barksdale and his potential seemed greater than BC’s potential. We also resigned Barnes for competition and depth. I really think the trade is a win/win because we traded depth for weakness. I do also think at 6′ and 212 lbs Goodsen has more of a blend of power and speed than just speed like TJ does. I am also worried about durability with TJ. I think the fact that Goodsen gained 100 yards a game 3 in a row when pressed into duty is a big deal as well.

• 1960AutumnWind

RaiderDuck Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 4:14 pm
    Chris in NY Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Guy was handed a Super Bowl caliber team if we can just stay healthy.

===========================================

Offensively, maybe. Defensively, we were terrible.

*******************************
    In my opinion Reggie has made big changes in the Defense. 5/6 cuts so far have come on defense. 3 of those cuts were day one starters. He has completely replaced the corners and also taken out two big money reservers with Hendo and Eugene. Many FA defensive reserves have not been resigned as well. While Wimbley was good on 3rd down in 2010 and against reserve lineman for SD in 2011 his play was not at all worthy of 11 million/year. If we can get a true run stuffing – coverage LB like Wheeler I think the FA phase will be done and it will be a huge success.

• Seymour Bush

=========================================

Campbell was drafted to be on the outside but couldn’t cut it so they moved him inside. Barksdale is a much better run blocker than pass blocker, so they moved him inside as well, which made Campbell expendable. Signing Barnes again proves my point.

• chuck

Chubby checker has no clue to run a team he just want to save money to make his bonus look good.