Was Al Davis wrong for saying Raiders’ opponent’s QB had to feel pain?

By Jon Becker
Thursday, April 5th, 2012 at 11:58 am in Oakland Raiders.

We just posted a column by Monte Poole on his reaction to exiled ex-Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ speech to his players the night before playing the 49ers in the NFC playoffs in January.

While agreeing that Williams has been wrong for his role in the bounty-gate scandal, Monte thinks that Williams’ speech was only a bit worse than what the late Al Davis used to say about the Raiders’ opponent’s quarterback: “The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.”

Do you agree with Monte? Was it wrong for Al to openly say that? Or is it just all part of the game?

Incidentally, here’s a link to the full audio of Williams’ speech to his players. Warning: This contains a LOT of profanity!

• DMAC

Primero

• hwnrdr

I believe it was just for motivational purposes!!!

• DMAC

It’s fk’n football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HairyBush

yo

• mcfadden20.

Monte pool is a fairy whiners fan , he needs to Stfu already n never talk about the Raiders ..

• DMAC

Why so many bounty, puzzy complainers??????

• HairyBush

It’s football, enough said.

• http://brewsportstech.blogspot.com/ cdameworth

There is a huge difference between saying that the QB must go down and I will pay you to target his head. Al Davis was correct, you want to sack the QB and you want to sack him hard. It gets in his head, it makes him think about the next hit, and all that thows off his ability to get comfortable in the pocket. However Al Davis did not say “I want the QB to leave the game.” That was the intention with Gregg Williams, and that is what differentiates him from every other football coach.

• mcfadden20.

Now they f*ckin takin every thing to a new level , even the fukin slogans

• mcfadden20.

Code Black will rise once again n be dominant like never before

• mcfadden20.

NFL draft can’t come here fast enough

• JLofty

In a word: NO !

If people are THAT squeemish about the nature of football, please don’t watch it. Don’t read about it, don’t bother us.
    But as long as this great country remains free (which doesn’t appear to be much longer), stfu already.
    I highly doubt Gregg Williams locker room speech will shock me or any actual football fan. Even casual ones…

• DMAC

This is too chilly to be April, wtf?

• joker94583

Monte Poole is a douchebag wanna be! There is no comparison to what Al said vs. what Williams DID and said. Get F’ing real!

Prepare for the National Flag Football League.

• JLofty

What’s next, feigned surprised and horror that MMA athletes actually PUNCH AND KICK one another!?!? OMG, think of the CHILDREN!!!!!!

DMAC Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    This is too chilly to be April, wtf?

I know man , have you noticed that it’s been getting colder n colder over the past few years or is it just me

• DMAC

mcfadden20. Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

DMAC Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    This is too chilly to be April, wtf?

==========

Its not just you

• NAZRAIDER

Football!

• cfrylopez

Al Davis did not say injure the QB, He said, “ Sometime within the 1st 10 plays the other teams Quarter Back must go down and must go down hard!” To Al Davis football was a game of intimidation. It was important for the Raiders to be as intimidating as possible, especial to the other team’s QB. If your QB is greatly intimidated then you probably are not going to win. Even Al’s cover 1 man to man press defense was designed to get the QB to hold the ball as long as possible so DL-men get a better chance of hitting the QB to intimidate them . But Al Davis loved football players even one on other teams, that’s why Al Davis help set up originations to help retired players & has won awards for his treatment of players after they retire.

Slow news day

DMAC Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    mcfadden20. Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

DMAC Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    This is too chilly to be April, wtf?

==========

Its not just you

///
    Oh man , I live in San Jose , n I think there has been more raining than the previous year n summer’s been just ok

Cfrylopez Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

—–

Code fvkkkin black

• mcfadden20.

Has TB signed a long term contract yet?

• r8eray

I remember being in 7th grade playing football and our coach makes Williams sound like a Kindergarten teacher!!

Roger Goodell needs to grow a pair!!

Fukin pu$$ee!!

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

It’s the sport of kings, better than Diamond Rings
    That’s why we’re here to sing, football.
    Sunday in the snow, referee’s whistle blows
    We’ve been warriors toe-to-toe, football.

For Old Timers, do you remember the names?
    Like Bronco Nagurski and Nightrain Lane,
    Bulldog Turner, my man Sam Huff
    In the snow and mud, they were still real tough.
    Crazylegs Hirsch and remember Raymond Berry?
    Ask me if they hit hard and I’ll say “Very!”
    Paul Christian, Buddy Young, Lenny Moore
    It’s them I adore, they seem to always score.
    Ed Sprinkle, defensive end for those years
    Gene “Big Daddy” Lipscomb was the man to fear!
    You had Steven Van Buren and Otto Graham
    Johnny Unitas had the arm of a Superman!
    We had Charley Trippi and Gino Marchetti
    If you’re searching for a champion, they’re your best bet!
    Wish I could quarterback like Johnny Lujack
    Or even Sid Luckman as a matter of fact.
    Do you remember Red Grange, the Galloping Ghost,
    He could do a ninety-five running coast-to-coast.
    You had Norm Van Brocklin, a real great player
    So slick with his moves that he could be mayor
    Y.A. Tittle, Ollie Matson, Hey!
    I remember all those guys, from back in the day.

It’s the sport of Kings, better than Diamond Rings
    That’s why we’re here to sing, football.
    Sunday in the snow, referee’s whistle blows
    We’ve been warriors toe-to-toe, football

Football
    Football
    Football

• Gary

This makes no difference…who cares???????????

• Dakota

Who knows, the NFL might decide that in fairness they must fine and strip the Raiders of draft picks for what Al has said in the past.

Wait, we don’t have any picks….nevermind.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

joker94583 Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Prepare for the National Flag Football League.
    ***********************************************
    I couldn’t agree more Joker. There is no comparison to what Mr. davis said vs. what Williams did. Willams should be arrested.

Hey DMAC my prayers are sent to you for your new gig. Blessings

• radrntn

if al davis was a black guy, monte poole would’nt have a problem with anything……one thing for sure it is all black and white with Monte

• JLofty

McFadden and DMAC, I know what the problem is, YOUR GETTING OLD(ER)!! You guys come up to the mountains and I’ll show you some COLD!!
    Peace boys…

• JLofty

@25: nice song.

• DMAC

Thanx Goldie

• DMAC

JLofty Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Peace boys…
    ==========

Yeah, I guess I’m spoiled w/ this Cali weather.

• J Hill

I guess Bynum has learned how to play hurt, eh Dakota?

• Area man

Wow, been a fan of Football for 30+ years and had no idea that bounties were offered to take out opposing players. Except for my high school coach ($25 if someone got carted off), my kid’s college coach ($100) and just about every NFL team since October 1920. Shocked that this is happening. Next we’ll find out that some players may use profanity in the course of a game. Hey Monte, could be a great investigative piece there, check it out and get back to us, would ya? Do players cuss- or is it Tourette syndrome on a massive scale?

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

The name of the game is to rattle the quarterback by drilling him (legally but hard) whenever possible.

Hardnosed defensiveminded teams have used Al’s mantra as their own. Unless he added Gregg Williamsspeak to his comments there’s nothing wrong with that.

I remember a Raiders team in the early 90′s that put quarterbacks out of the game six straight contests. didn’t really remember anything out of hand in the unceremonious way they were treated.

And Poole is a tool (pardon nothing with that comment. . .).

JLofty Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    Peace boys…

——

Hahaha , I’m not complaining n I don’t mind cold here , I just noticed an unusual pattern .. So I was wondering if anyone else thinks that’s whats happening too that it’s been getting more colder here in bay

• ELWAYs TEETH

I think there’s a big difference between “The QB must go down and he must go down hard”, and “KILL the head”. I also don’t think Williams was really telling his players to kill anyone. Coaches are paid to motivate their players to play hard. This is the NFL, it’s a very violent game, hence the huge salaries. Bountygate is being blown way out of proportion.

• edward teach

I’m no Monte Poole fan, but Becker is really stretching it on this one. Read the article; Poole is not implicating Al Davis at all. He’s trying to show where Williams crossed the line.

Area Man Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

—-

It’s all about the after NFL career affects , NFL doesn’t want to lose any money , paying for players who don’t play anymore

• Marks hair

Lakers = the most high & exalted potentate of CA..

clippers = little brother

kings = little sister

warriors = little brother with downs syndrome

Edward Teach Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

—-

Jon Becker is a tool

• Thec

“The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.”

++++++++==

This is the truth…fuk pool

• Jabels1488

When did everyone forget this game that Grown Men play called FOOTBALL? What the hell happened?

Marks Hair Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    Lakers = the most high & exalted potentate of CA..

clippers = little brother

kings = little sister

warriors = little brother with downs syndrome

—-

Hahaha good one, but I think they need to rest ,Kobe,Gasol,Metta for a couple of games before the playoffs start..Agree or DIsagree? Why?

• Master Beeecham

YO SWEET SLOGAN AL, BUT IT’S MINE

That right, blog goobs – I’ve been telling my ladies for years that “They must go down, and they must go down while it’s still hard”.

I going to sue Mark Davis and his Lame Bowl Cut for millions and put it all into head shots for my new boy band, 2 Kewl 4 Skool

Speaking of getting wasted on wine coolers, got loaded on Bartels & James this AM and 69ed the heck out of this underage stripper on a bean bag

When I got up it looked like my face had been attacked by a dozen glazed donuts

Just keeping it real, wizzle

YO KIM K KEEP MY BOI KANYE SATISFIED ON THE REAL

Jabels1488 Says:
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

—-

Still football , but flag football

• Thec

Mr. Davis had it right then, and its right now…

All Qb’s not wearing silver and black need to get the buisness…

• Marks hair

45. I wouldnt sit them if thats what you mean.. Id reduce their minutes if possible down the stretch..

• mcfadden20.

Tim kawakami, Monte pool, Jon Becker , Steve are all tools . Only Jerry knows about football