Raiders take flier on hoops player

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, April 12th, 2012 at 4:39 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The San Diego Chargers struck gold by taking a chance on a basketball player and giving him a shot at playing tight end. The Raiders are following the trail blazed by the Chargers’ signing of Antonio Gates with the addition of tight end Andre Hardy.
Hardy’s background is that of a basketball player, not football. He played hoops at Cal State Fullerton the past two years after a two-year stint at Oral Roberts.
Coincidentally, Hardy is a San Diego native, the place Gates still calls home at the tail end of a potential Pro Football Hall of Fame career.
Hardy’s father, Andre, played in the NFL for parts of three seasons, with the Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks and 49ers.
Hardy, 6-feet-5 and 250 pounds, will compete for a roster spot among the likes of David Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon.
Hardy held a pro day on April 4. It’s obvious the Raiders liked what they saw that day.

• Raiderjambo

Chaplain Napoleon Kaufman, love ya man! However, why not suit up for another gig with your OAKLAND RAIDERS? Bet you’ve still got some juice left in them old legs of yours!

• RaidersNextGM

#691 twocents – please share if its as good as you say

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Pardon, can you point to any particular games where Houston played DT?

• Raiderjambo

Some great FOOTBALL talk in here today Nation, informative and interesting keep up the good work!

• mikep562

ya, i said trade huff only because he has more value and because he is imo the only defensive liability left. i’d prefer to keep him for depth obviously, never liked him as a player though. for me he is in that routt class. overpaid because of great potential that will never come, dude just simply can’t tackle and is suspect in coverage. we need to shut the backfield down with some heart hitn mofos with a nose for the football, not trackstars. like i said martin, branch, chekwa as nickle and b/u fs, bartell and spencer. maybe resign gio…no need for huff really.

• Twocents

RaidersNextGM, with freedom you will have everything that you can rightfully obtain.

• J Hill

YA,

I wasn’t as impressed with Houston at DT as I was with him at LDE. Might have to do with limited snaps there.

Regardless, it’s a clean slate with me on all hte guys because the are going to be asked to do something different than they were last year.

I can see Houston lining up across from an OG and taking him out of the play, not “trying to get past him”. Same with Kelly/Seymour and whoever they are lined up in front of.

• raidertalk

Twocents Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:41 pm
    Raidertalk, I don’t get your point.
    In a free market the consumer is sovereign.
    Without a facist state the producers are successful only when they satisfy wants of the consumer.
    —————————————————–
    I guess I said we were in the “golden age” of medicinal use pot because it is at an all-time low in regulation (see all the distribution centers poping up everywhere). And medicinal pot has not been taken up by entities like Marlboro and Camel.
    Corporations who have sold cigs to kids, used chemicals to enance addicitive qualities, used their power to hide abuses (see the lawsuits), you know all the things to create more “wants” for the consumer.

I guess I like the market the way its now. Not some CEOs from NJR nabisco or Coke making all the $.

Like the home-made DIY thing happening. But I don’t smoke although I support Medicinal

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

J Hill Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:54 pm
    YA,

——————————————
    When did he play DT?

• J Hill

He played DT when Seymour was hurt and in some nickle packages. You didn’t notice because he wasn’t maing an impact.

• Twocents

Raidertalk, my point is that without the government these large corporations would be at the mercy of the people. In a free society with free exchange the people rule.
    I suspect that the sticking point in all these arguments is that most Americans believe that the “majority rules”.
    I believe in individuals, I want no part of the politics of collectivism. Just because a majority says “give me what I want” has no authority with me.

• YoungAmerican

Houston saw time at DT in the first SD game, MIN, MIA and GB games.

It’s his natural position, and in my opinion it shows. If we’re going to knock him for not getting sacks while playing DT part-time, then we’d have to knock TK and Seymour for all the games where they were unable to pressure the QB when that’s their full-time position.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’ve got the Cleveland game, Detriot, SanDiego Thursday nite, Houston game on DVR. I don’t remember seeing Houston at DT in any. can anybody point to something I can see?

• YoungAmerican

J Hill Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Why does it have to come to Kelly being gone before Houston becomes very valuable? I think he’ll continue to show his value. He’ll remain a starter. Kelly and Seymour are not in his way at all.

================

He’s already valuable. But Kelly and Seymour aren’t getting any younger. My point is that Houston is going to be a key cog in this team going forward, especially because the current starters at DT don’t have a whole lot of productive years left.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

TK had 7.5 sacks to lead the league at his position.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Raider O Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:42 pm
    Raccoon,

Smoking GDP!

::::::::::

G Daddy is the Raider of Smoke!

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

KoolKell Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

TK had 7.5 sacks to lead the league at his position.

=========================================

He’s a skilled inside pass rusher. The problem is his run-stopping, or lack thereof.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

KoolKell Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 6:13 pm
    TK had 7.5 sacks to lead the league at his position.

::::::::::

I remember when Rid Coleman had 10 from the same spot. 7 the year before.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Rod.

Man I miss D Russ and R. Upshaw.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

KoolKell Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:42 pm
    Btw, Houston looks small compared to Kelly/Seymour.

::::::::::

Cause he is.

• realtruraider

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    3rd (compensatory) – NT Josh Chapman, Alabama
    4th (compensatory) – OLB Sammy Brown, Houston
    5th – OLB/ILB Miles Burris, San Diego State
    5th (compensatory) – DB DeQuan Menzie, Alabama
    6th – DE/OLB Frank Alexander, Oklahoma
    —————————————————-

I like it man, I would switch Miles Burris to 4th and Sammy Brown to 5th though. I also wouldn’t mind seeing someone drafted on the oline

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Don’t forget the Raider defense read like a 3′rd grade reader to opposing coaches for the last 20 years. See spot run.

• YoungAmerican

Houston is the same weight, but 3 or 4 inches shorter than Seymour and TK.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

NoT true YA, that’s obvious.

• YoungAmerican

Houston is a leverage player. Gets underneath blockers and fights through to fill his gap. Solid tackler, disciplined, high motor.

Last month, one of the scouts I follow on Twitter said “I never get tired of watching Lamar Houston play.”

For what it’s worth, he led the Raiders’ defensive linemen in tackles last season. 51. Next highest was Kelly at 41.

• BewareofRaiders

I think frank alexander gets drafted before the 6th round

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

They are listed about the same weight, my eyes says different.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    Houston is the same weight, but 3 or 4 inches shorter than Seymour and TK.

::::::::::

No way Houston is over 305, and now way TK is under 330 I’ve stood and spoke to both of em side by side.

Tardell Sands wasn’t on .oz under 350. Dude was SCARY big, but lazy.

• J Hill

I’m all for Houston. Agree that he is a baller. Have him in my starting lineup.

Just don’t see the need to get rid of Kelly or Seymour. We need SIX really good DE/DT types. We have 4 really good ones in Kelly-Seymour-Houston-Bryant. I’d like to see all of those guys get major snaps this year.

• Raiderboi18

Big shout out to Napoleon Kaufman!!! Welcome back!!!

• ELWAYs TEETH
  • Raiderboi18

anyone know if their is any truth to Ryan Grant becoming a Raider??

• Raiderboi18

that screen name cracks me up bout Elways teeth lol

• Twocents

I am not “religious’ but I do believe in intelligent design.
    I do have a serious problem with those that insist that it was the state that created the world.

• BewareofRaiders

The donks released andre goodman i would say we should bring him in and reading some of the post on pft some raider fans wants him. Never seen him play amd when i looked him up on youtube and he was getting abused by ford and dhb. But thats good to see ford and dhb torching cbs but i dont know about goodman what do yall think?

• DKnight007

# Thec Says:
    April 12th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hardy Video:

^^^^^^^^^
    No bad, I would like to see get off the line quicker and run more crisp routes.

I think he can do more damage being split out in slot in red zone or short yardage situations and he can be sneaky in drag routes.

• YoungAmerican

Goodman played pretty well under Allen. Would be a decent option to add competition for the nickel CB role if the Raiders don’t add a CB in the draft. Would be nice to have a fallback option if Bartell can’t stay healthy or Spencer doesn’t cut it.

• r8eray

Frank Alexander Oklahoma, #84
    6-3.5″ WT: 260lbs. 40-YD: 4.85 FIT: DLE
    ARM: NA HAND: NA AGE: 22

Fairly instinctive non-athletic, stiff, try-hard competitor lacking rush speed and functional strength for the pro game.

Prediction: FA

• DKnight007

# BewareofRaiders Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    I agree. I think McK and Allen should try and sign Goodman and then we don’t have to waste any picks on the CB position in the draft.

Don’t see us drafting a TE now that McK signed Hardy to compete with the other 3 TE’s on roster.

• BewareofRaiders

Looked up goodman stats and he had 10 pass deflections and 2 ints along with 49 tackles not bad. And he was a starter

• xraided

yea i mean, why not? i bet they’ll miss Goodman when Porter goes down with injury.. which is bound to happen sooner or later … he could easily compete with the useless Spencer and push him off the roster.

• xraided

BewareofRaiders Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

_________

that’s better than anyone currently on the raider’s roster, outside of maybe Bartell given he’s healthy

• Pingback: Jual Kaos