Raiders take flier on hoops player

The San Diego Chargers struck gold by taking a chance on a basketball player and giving him a shot at playing tight end. The Raiders are following the trail blazed by the Chargers’ signing of Antonio Gates with the addition of tight end Andre Hardy.
Hardy’s background is that of a basketball player, not football. He played hoops at Cal State Fullerton the past two years after a two-year stint at Oral Roberts.
Coincidentally, Hardy is a San Diego native, the place Gates still calls home at the tail end of a potential Pro Football Hall of Fame career.
Hardy’s father, Andre, played in the NFL for parts of three seasons, with the Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks and 49ers.
Hardy, 6-feet-5 and 250 pounds, will compete for a roster spot among the likes of David Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon.
Hardy held a pro day on April 4. It’s obvious the Raiders liked what they saw that day.

Steve Corkran

• The Oracle

Leinert, Volek, Rosenfels, Delhomme…these are some of the names of vet QB’s available. As we know, we are looking for one.
    If it came down to it, looks like Vince Young is made more attractive because of that list. Doubt RM wants a mindset like VY on the team, but faced with the options who knows.
    Pickings are slim. Lets see what camp cuts bring.

• raidertalk

I don’t smoke but I support medicinal. Right now is proably the golden age for pot. It’s at its lowest level of regulation.And Right before the big capitalist pick it up and turn it Malboro

• Thec

Should we trade for Osi Umenyiora?

++++++++++++

Thec

TK or draft picks.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raccoon,

Smoking GDP!

• Twocents

Raidertalk, free men and free markets advance civilization. Socialist and central planning impoverish people.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

We can trade our 5th and 6th this year, but we can’t trade comp picks.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Twocents,

How old are, and have you been to Europe (Germany, France, Spain, Italia, etc…)?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Socialism is not the enemy, but I prefer capitalism.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Italya*

• YoungAmerican

Pastor Napoleon ‏ @napoleonkaufman

To all my tweeps, it’s official! I have accepted the Team Chaplain position with the Oakland Raiders. Wow, so excited!#Raider4Life

• J Hill

Should we trade for Osi Umenyiora?

—————————————————————–

Would fill a huge hole if he’s still got that burst. Wasn’t he coming off the bench for the Giants?

Why on earth would you trade Tommy Kelly? Why don’t you wait and see what the new DC asks him to do and then see how he performs? Seymour will be gone shortly, so I think we’ll need to keep Kelly around as the wiley ole vet.

• J Hill

712.YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Pastor Napoleon ‏ @napoleonkaufman

—————————————————————

That’s great news man.

Good for him!

• Twocents

Raider O, old enough to have seen the fate of the Soviet Union.

• mikep562

amen, jhill…tk is a staple on this d…dude is nothing but energy, got the crowd rockin at o co against dirty sanchez and the jets, i wouldn’t trade him…if anything trade huff

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Why do teams need Chaplains?

• J Hill

Kelly, Seymour, and Houston are 3 BIG cats to have on our starting DL. Move them around to different spots along the line and fill in ShoNasty and the LBs accordingly.

Chess players calling the D this year fellas!

• J Hill

Mikep,

Seems like some of our fans want to get rid of guys just because they are not the best guy in the NFL at their particular position. Simply being a good player doesn’t cut it.

• YoungAmerican

KoolKell Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Why do teams need Chaplains?

=============

Why not?

I’m not religious in the least, but plenty of athletes are.

Chaplain would provide counseling, “spiritual guidance”, would lead prayer groups before and after games, etc..

Anything to help these guys get closer on the team, and be more emotionally, mentally, “spiritually” stable is worth it for me. Especially if it’s a former player helping them do so. I’m sure he has some valuable insight for the young guys on the team.

• Thec

Raider O Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:41 pm
    Thec

TK or draft picks.

++++++++++

RM likes his picks so we can rule that out…

• J Hill

We need a nickle DE. Usi would be a limited snap guy. Tommy Kelly is a 3 down player.

• Thec

Chess players calling the D this year fellas!

+++++++

checkers = bresh

• YoungAmerican

mikep562 Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

=============

So… keep a guy at a position where there’s plenty of depth… trade a guy at a position where there’s no depth. Got it.

I’m OK with Kelly staying a Raider, but if the team needs to add pieces he’s the first guy they should approach to restructure his contract. More importantly, they need to rotate him out more frequently. He’s solid when he’s fresh, but too many times late in games I see him losing 1-on-1 matchups.

If the Raiders can add a true 1-tech or 0-tech tackle, it would let Kelly get more rest and allow him to focus on what he does best.

• DKnight007

If Chapman is there at #95, then he is my #1 choice for the Raiders to draft.

I also wouild love to see Corderro Law be converted to a stand OLB pass rusher/edge player who can stuff the run at the end of the 3rd. I like Mossaquio and Bradham as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spence slip to the 4th round due to his size.

I wish Shea McClellin would fall to us at #95, he would be a great fit IMO. Too bad he will be gone in Round 2.

I would like to see Ronnell Lewis fall to #95 as well.

• RaiderRetribution

714.J Hill Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    712.YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Pastor Napoleon ‏ @napoleonkaufman

—————————————————————

That’s great news man.

Good for him!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excellence at the core of life even!

• RaiderRetribution

723.Thec Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:13 pm
    Chess players calling the D this year fellas!

+++++++

checkers = bresh

++++++++++++++

not even backgammon?

• DKnight007

714.J Hill Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    712.YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Pastor Napoleon ‏ @napoleonkaufman

^^^^^^^^
    Fantastic!

Preach on Napolean!

• DKnight007

If Chapman is there at #95, then he is my #1 choice for the Raiders to draft.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Spence slip to the 4th round due to his size.

I would like to see Ronnell Lewis fall to #95 as well.

• J Hill

—————————————————————-

Agreed.

The Seymour and Henderson injuries caused him to play way more snap than were intended, wouldn’t you say?

I don’t think Bryant and Houston were nearly as effective at DT as they were at DE. I think Chapman will be gone by the time we pick. But getting a guy to backup Seymour and Kelly is CRUCIAL!

• Thec

Per PFT, Broncos starting CB Andre Goodman s on the market….

• raidertalk

Twocents Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 4:44 pm
    —————————————————
    Your right. We should return our free makets to the level of freedom of 1929.

• J Hill

What is our backup Oline looking like?

Veldheer-Open-Wiz-Brisiel-Barnes

Backups – Carlisle, Barksdale, Parsons.

There are going to be some highly rated OGs sitting there at 95, right?

• YoungAmerican

Agreed.

==============

I actually really like Bryant at DE. Could be a perfect fit at LDE.

I think Houston is a beast at DT and should be there more often. Manhandles OGs, collapses the pocket, but still maintains gap discipline. Not a flashy player, but a high-motor, disruptive young lineman. He’s going to be a very good pro.

• J Hill

Marcel Reece better get his arsse in camp. He’s fooling himself if he thinks he’s headed towards some sort of payday.

• DKnight007

Fangupo from BYU would be a good pick in Round 5 as a NT prospect.

I think the big boy from Canada Akiem Hicks is an intriguing player as well as a NT.

• Twocents

Raidertalk, we should return to classical liberalism, that is what created the wealth that made modern society. Look it up.

• J Hill

I like Houston a lot. Just not at the expense of Kelly, so to speak. I have have Houston as a starter.

I think Seymour will be gone next year and we’ll have Kelly, Houston and Bryant as the main 3 on the DL.

• YoungAmerican

I’m definitely not sold on Carlisle at LG, but I suppose the Raiders could do worse. I’m interested to see how highly the Raiders value offensive linemen.

Personally, I’m not very high on the O-line class this year. But the coaching staff knows exactly what they’re looking for. Could be some sleeper prospects who possess the kind of athleticism and intelligence it takes to be a proficient zone-blocking lineman.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

————————————————-
    Based on what?

• raidertalk

Twocents Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    ——————————————————
    So how long before all the new distribution centers are out of business and they sell Cannibus over-the-counter at 7-11?

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

=========================================

Reggie said that Knapp, Pollack and Classic Wiz thought #66 could play LG, and that’s good enough for me until proven otherwise.

• J Hill

Draft Needs …

S
    DE/OLB
    OG
    NT

FA needs….

CB
    QB
    OT

• YoungAmerican

Based on what?

====================

He saw action there, particularly in nickel packages when Seymour was injured. Was very, very good. He’s very good at LDE, too, but isn’t really a natural edge rusher so he’s not going to put up huge sack numbers or anything.

Houston is the most talented defensive lineman on this team. He’ll be very valuable to the Raiders once Seymour and Kelly are gone.

• edward teach

Kell, just a theory but most guys are not from the city that their team represents. Maybe a team chaplain is a good and consistent option for guys that have that where they live in the offseason but don’t have consistent access during the football year.

A chaplain could also provide easier and less logistical access to religious services when on the road, or even at home for that matter.

• YoungAmerican

My FA wishlist:

FA targets:
    QB Billy Volek
    WR Jerome Simpson
    C Jeff Faine
    CB Andre Goodman

• J Hill

Why does it have to come to Kelly being gone before Houston becomes very valuable? I think he’ll continue to show his value. He’ll remain a starter. Kelly and Seymour are not in his way at all.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 13th, 2012 at 5:36 pm
    Based on what?

====================

—————————————–
    How many snaps has Houston played at DT? or can’t you point to any particular game? because frankly, I don’t remember him playing there.

• Twocents

Raidertalk, I don’t get your point.
    In a free market the consumer is sovereign.
    Without a facist state the producers are successful only when they satisfy wants of the consumer.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Btw, Houston looks small compared to Kelly/Seymour.