Raiders select OL Bergstrom — updated with quotes

By Steve Corkran
Friday, April 27th, 2012 at 8:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders first selection of the 2012 NFL draft is Utah offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom, with the 95th and final pick of the third round.
Bergstrom, 6-feet-5 and 313 pounds, is 25 years old. He started 12 games at right offensive tackle for Utah last season and was a first-team All-Pac 12 selection.
The Raiders projected guards are Mike Brisiel and Cooper Carlisle. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said Bergstrom will be worked at guard initially but that there’s a chance he will be used at offensive tackle at times, too.
Bergstrom played mostly right offensive tackle in college. He worked at left guard at the Senior Bowl and said he already views himself as a guard.
“There were some teams that I talked to that saw me as somebody who could play tackle,” Bergstrom said in a conference call with Bay Area media. “Even talking to the Raiders, they said maybe I could play tackle but I would probably move into guard first. I’m not sure. I kind of knew all along that I was going to be a guard first and maybe be able to play that backup tackle in the future, or right away. But guard’s my position. I’ve already changed my mind-set to guard. So, that’s what I’m thinking right now.”
McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen are rooted in the defensive-minded mold. Yet, they felt as if Bergstrom was too talented to pass on at the end of the third round.
McKenzie said he doesn’t view Bergstrom’s age — he will be 26 by the time the season begins — as a hindrance. Quite the contrary.
McKenzie said Bergstrom benefits from being more mature and grounded. Bergstrom is married and has a daughter. He went on a mission for his church straight out of high school.
Bergstrom said he spends most of his down time at home, studying and hanging out with his family.
“Physically, I feel like my body is as in as good a shape as any 20- or 21-year-old, and it will last just as long because I take care of it,” Bergstrom said.
Interestingly, Bergstrom was not one of the numerous players the Raiders had in for a pre-draft visit. However, the Raiders interviewed him at the NFL scouting combine and the Senior Bowl.
McKenzie said Bergstrom did well in the interview and showed that he is someone who loves football. McKenzie and Allen said they are intent upon selecting players who have a passion for playing football.
“We’re not gonna change our approach,” McKenzie said. “We want good football players. Of course, the bigger the better. The faster the better. As long as they are good football players that our coaches, we feel like our coaches can work with. That’s not gonna change. We’re not gonna take fliers just on guys, in hope that they can play.”
Allen said he loves Bergstrom’s versatility the most.
“He can play offensive tackle, he can play offensive guard,” Allen said. “He’s a guy that fits the type of scheme that we’re going to be here, with some of the zone-blocking stuff and his ability to get to the second level. So, when you watch tape on him, you can tell not only by watching tape that this guy loves football, but he also has the athleticism that you need to run our type of zone blocking scheme. So we’re excited about him and think he’s gonna be a real good player for us.”
Coincidentally, Bergstrom’s brother-in-law is Baltimore Ravens defensive end Paul Kruger, and the Raiders play the Ravens this season.
Bergstrom cited Kruger as being instrumental in his development into a pro prospect.
“He was a great help,” Bergstrom said. “Not just throughout this process. Even in my senior year, I talked to him and he’d kind of fill me in a lot on what it was about my game that needed to change and what NFL coaches were really looking for out of college linemen. That was probably the biggest help from him, just every week telling me what it is that I need to do to be more recognizable to NFL coaches.”
The Raiders took notice.

• RaiderRetribution

with Carlisle’s new contract and multiple years of experience, I think he will be the back up to both Brisiele and Bergstrom

• ReggieMacAkaSugeKnightDaddy

(Reggie Mckenzie inhale) I think The Raiders got a good football player that loves the game & will compete every snap. I’d like to see us get a good football player tomorrow too. Maybe Cousins or Burfict if he’s available. (7 second pause)…Yeah that’s what i wanna see us do.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m not going to lose sleep over the pick, but I don’t like it. I thought there were better players available that can help this team. you don’t have to start to have an impact on the team.

• priesttj

Lefty12 This hole BPA thing is so freakin subjective it’s ridiculous anyway. They speak of it as though it’s factual. It is based on the organization who puts it together not some talking head. He’s there to get ratings how does he know the BPA for every org.? It’s a load of crap!!!

• irjonny

pryor is not and never will be the answer in my opinion. i don’t think he’s a reggie guy either. brett favre, aaron rodgers, terell pryor? nope. don’t get me wrong i hope i’m mistaked but it’s my thought mckenzie will draft early qb next year to be face of the future raiders. and we have a young o-line to welcome him

• Dakota

Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    Len,

Arm length is important for OL especially in pass protection. Why do you think Gallery was a bust?
    ++++++++++++++++

Arm length is more important for tackles….shouldn’t be much of an issue for a guard…that is why Gallery had some “success” at guard….if being average is a success.

Fking bust!

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

Whether you like this pick, or not, I think everyone here would be happy to see Cooper removed from the starting lineup…

• GForce21

Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Len,

———————

Because he was a weak minded, injury prone btch?

• Kirk

249.Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    Len,

…………………………….

It’s not so important for a guard.

• irjonny

also if you think there were “better” players available at 95, who says reggie doesn’t trade up to pick them tomorrow? mature ZB O-lineman i’m ok with

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

You people decided our rookie OG is a starter?!?! Based on what? His draft status?! He was the last pick in the 3rd round! He has to earn it. Savage played well last season.

• lefty12

The guy is going to play guard.His ‘short arms’ won’t matter in the inside.Quit hating on the guy because he isn’t the person you wanted us to pick.Look at it this way-nobody else predicted he’d be the choice,so you weren’t that wrong.

• RaiderRetribution

Kirk Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:37 pm
    228.RaiderRetribution Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:26 pm
    Wisniewski is definately our starting center now.

…………………………………..

Exactly.

And our O line played much better last year with Wisniewski at center.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

much stronger as well, and now with the strength and and ZBS abilities of Bergstrom Raiders interior line of Wisniewski, Brisiel, & Bergstrom will be the strongest in the NFL.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

GForce21 Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:33 pm
    irjonny Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

how many years does palmer have left?
    ——————–

Everyone thinks Palmer is ancient. He is 32.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wasn’t Gannon about 35 when he first came to the Raiders?

• RaiderRetribution

My hope was that Raiders would draft Wilson, QB or Kendricks, LB but I knew neither would be there at #95.

• Dakota

I am not going to annoint the rookie as a starter yet….I have wanted Carlisle gone for a couple of years, and he still manages to keep his job, so I won’t count him out….but next year might be a different story.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

I for one own a replica Joseph Smith hat, I looked in it and I was instructed Cooper Carlisle is always pushed 2 yards into the backfield and most plays and that Reggie wants T-Rex2.0 to replace him…That’s what I’m basing my theory on.

• Kirk

I think Reggie looked at our team and decided we desperately needed depth at O line.

• GForce21

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

GForce21 Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:33 pm
    irjonny Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

how many years does palmer have left?
    ——————–

Everyone thinks Palmer is ancient. He is 32.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wasn’t Gannon about 35 when he first came to the Raiders?
    ———————-

Ah yeah, good on ya, way better point than what I was making.

• Raider guy

If any of yall put about one tenth the work into the draft process that king Regginald did, love to hear what you think. For the rest of us who just go from what mayock or keiper say…let’s just wait and see

• Kirk

Bergstrom did well at guard in the Senior Bowl.

• Dakota

Palmer has 4 good years left, and could play even longer depending on health.

Plenty of time to secure his successor.

TP will get a look since he is cheap for a 3rd stringer…..we will sign a proven backup before camp.

• Raider guy

That includes any one who saw this cat play a game

• hendu

Post 245, O Youre thinking of Gallery,He had short arms as a tackle,He was moved inside and did a heck of a job as LG, lets give the guy a RAIDER welcome, bet ya Reggie is right. We will see.

• RaiderRetribution

irjonny Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

true, and Reggie was not able to trade up using our 95th pick;

last year pundits were down on Wisniewski before the draft Raiders had one of the best rookie OL in the draft, most productive with the exception of T. Smith of Dallas.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Who is hating on the guy? Grow up man!! I’m saying I don’t think he was the BPA, but you confuse that with hate?! Really?
    I wish the young man nothing but the best, but I don’t think he was the best pick for us.
    I’m sure you can understand that. They call it forming opinions!

If you keep it up, I will start ignoring your posts. You are starting to sound like KK and MR.

• Kirk

Another point here is that Reggie is employing a no knuckleheads policy.

Something we have sorely needed in the past…

• R41D8R41IF3

BERGSTROM? REALLY? DONT GET ME WRONG,HAVING SOLID BACK UPS AT OUR O LINE IS GOOD BUT I THINK THAT WE COULD HAVE PICKED HIM UP WAY LATER IN THE DRAFT (5TH ROUND). OUR DEFENSE NEEDS ALL THE HELP WE COULD GET. WHAT DO WE DO WITH BARKSDALE NOW? I WOULD TAKE BARKS ANY DAY OVER THIS DUDE.

• irjonny

@ englandraider

just saying he’s not young. reggie has plans i would think to use palmer to teach another bright young prospect like he did with rodgers. makes sense to me.

• Kirk

R4, Barksdale is a tackle, Bergstrom’s a guard.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

They’ve made it quite clear they liked their D-lineman

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hendu,

I hope so.
    RAIDERS!!!

• lefty12

I hear you Priest.If everyone thought the same and had the same players as their BPA,all the clowns who predict the draft would say the same things and all the teams would know exactly who everyone else would pick.Davis,Kiper,Mayock,and Todd M.all differ on almost every pick,just as every GM does.

• R41D8R41IF3

I GET IT KIRK BUT DIDNT WE JUST PICK UP A GUARD?

• irjonny

at least we didn’t pick a punter in the 3rd

• priesttj

RaiderO Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning……LOL

• Guy

I was a little angry before but I really don’t know much about him. I don’t mean to be a downer but everyone blindly defending this pick imagine if one of our rivals took him. What would you guys being saying about him then? Would he be a “huge reach” like derek wolfe for the broncos or Donald Stephenson for the Chiefs was?

• R41D8R41IF3

DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT ROUND THIS KID WAS PROJECTED BEING DRAFTED?

• irjonny

Guy

i bash every pick they make haha!! we should be defending our pick. reggie has a year to make a doubter out of me. i’m also confident in the pick because al didn’t make it

• irjonny

what about jacoby jones?

• hendu

Right on, D all day tomorrow. Youre thoughts, O?

• Kirk

288.R41D8R41IF3 Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:53 pm
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT ROUND THIS KID WAS PROJECTED BEING DRAFTED?

…………………….

2nd to 3rd round…

• mcthompso

Seeing that he should be a good fit for LG in a ZBS…if he pans out, i llike it…won’t have to touch OL for years. Would be nice to get stronger where you are weak…but might as well stay strong where you are strong…We’re going to have a young, solid unit for a long time. If they are solid, this will be such a nice luxury.

• alzadoX

RONNELL LEWIS NEWLY FOUND HEALTH ISSUES

DE/LB Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma has some potential/high risk or maybe actual problem with anemia, “sickle cell anemia trait” recently discovered. I’m not a doctor…but this kind of scares me. They say he “wears down late in games” and going to a 16 game pro schedule, he may be too big of a gamble

this info came from Pro Football Weekly early this week, apparently recently discovered issue.

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Amazed that Ronnell Lewis is lasting this long. Heard him mentioned as a potential 2nd round pick. Does he have some health issues I’m not aware of?

• alzadoX

lefty12 Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

The guy is going to play guard.His ’short arms’ won’t matter in the inside.Quit hating on the guy because he isn’t the person you wanted us to pick.Look at it this way-nobody else predicted he’d be the choice,so you weren’t that wrong.

***********

I know many of us semis like to knock the beat writers but JERRY McDONALD in his SJ Mercury news article a couple days ago said the BERGSTROM WAS OL WHO FIT RAIDERS NEEDS/SCHEME he also listed one other, who he rated 2nd to Bergstrom, in South Dakota OG Tom Compton. So lets give Jerry Mac props

PFW rated Bergstrom projected 2nd to 3rd round pick

• Pingback: ErboristeriaAlimenti Biologici

• fingers

Not opposed to the pick…. But I was suprised by it…..
    If he makes the Raiders better is my bottom line…

• MikieG

Dakota Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 8:21 pm
    Is he willing to play on sundays? Didn’t Al draft some mormon years ago that said fk dt schyyyyt, I don’t play on sundays!
    ++++++++++++
    No that was Walter Sobchak he told “that kraut a f’ing thousand times that He don’t roll on Shabbos!”

Lol

• Pingback: 洗面乳

• ohioraider

aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Kid is all pac 12, team capt, married and 26. guess we dont have to worry about him firing his gun at people when he goes home.
    —————————————–
    Exactly. No reason why you can’t have speed, strength, AND character.