DE Bilukidi transcript

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, April 28th, 2012 at 3:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here is what defensive end Christo Bilukidi had to say about being selected by the Raiders at No. 189 in the sixth round of the NFL draft Saturday:

Q: Pick surprised so-called draft experts did it surprise you?
A: Kind of … It really didn’t because up from the All-Star game I really did what I needed to do to show a lot of these scouts that I can play at a higher level. From my pro day, all my measurables that I tested were really good. All these teams already were calling me and I had a really good feeling about it. It wasn’t a big surprise to me.

Q: Lots of contact from Raiders?
A: I went on a visit, they brought me on a visit. They were calling me, D-line coach was talking to me. I had a lot of contacts with them.

Q: Any idea whether they plan to keep you inside or more you outside?
A: I’ll play anywhere. They haven’t really specified where I would be playing as a tackle or end. I told them, like in college I’ve been playing everywhere from zero technique all the way wide nine technique. I’ll play anywhere.

Q: What got you started playing football?
A: It was actually one of my best friends back here in Ottawa. He played actually in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts. I was always a basketball player and he asked me if I wanted to play football my senior year in high school. I started playing and started liking it.

Q: What do you like about it?
A: Contact. It’s not like basketball. Basketball is physical but football is just another game and it’s more physical. The whole contact about it, just hitting people, that’s what I like to do.

Q: Who is your friend?
A: Djems Kouame.

Which parts of your game do you need to work on right now?
“Staying low. Obviously, a tall guy like me, about 6-4½, playing on the D-line, just being as low as I can, because it’s always like every coach says, ‘lowest man wins.’ So that’s really the only aspect I think I need to work on, and obviously with coaches like on the Raiders, with so much experience, they’ll teach me how to play low and get leverage on people and just dominate.”

Is your father still a diplomat for Angola?
“I don’t have contact with him, so I can’t even tell you.”

How did living in so many foreign countries benefit you?
“It made me cultured because I lived in so many different cities and countries and stuff. So definitely just opens my mind more, because I learn more about different people, and just makes me more humble, and makes me appreciate people far more than if someone just lived in like a little small city and didn’t know what was going on around the world, so yeah.”

What’s the challenge going to be like playing in the NFL?
“It’s gonna be a challenge just like for everybody else that’s come into the NFL. It’s not college, and it’s not high school anymore. Like one coach told me, you’ve got to throw away everything you learned in college and then come and grasp everything you learn in the NFL. So it’s gonna be difficult these couple, few weeks, because I’ve just got to adjust to it. But after that, I’m a smart person, I’m very bright, I learn very fast, so I’m not too worried about the whole transition to the NFL.”

Do you feel as if you are starting from behind, given you are from a smaller college?
“See, I would say that would be the case, because I went to a small school, Georgia State, and it’s a brand-new program. So our coaching staff was very young, as compared with an SEC program where they have coaches that have long experience. But to me, because of my athleticism and my height and my size, I’ll be able to do whatever anybody else on the D-line is doing, because like I said, I’m a fast learner and I’m athletic at the same time.”

Are you the first player from Georgia State ever drafted into the NFL?
“First Georgia State ever to be drafted, yessir.”

What has the reaction been like since you were selected?
“Feels great. Like I’ve been on-line with you guys, my coach has been calling me. Waiting for an answer, but I bet they’re real proud of me. Definitely feels really good.”

• PlunkforHOF

1st

• backstageatapuppetshow

Alfonzo Dennard to New England….safe to say I’m not happy!

• Try Some Reality

Angola!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

or Kellen Moore!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

It seems like the Pats really improved their defense in this draft.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

How did living in so many foreign countries benefit you?

• YoungAmerican

Dennard might face a year suspension. No way he escapes jail time after assaulting a cop.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Kellen Moore! Kellen Moore! Kellen Moore!

• alzadoX

HS phenom RB Bryce Brown off board. RAIDERS ON CLOCK

Hebron Fangupo NT/DT BYU
    Miles Burris, LB, S.D. St. GOT HIM ALREADY!
    Adrien Cole MLB La. Tech
    Edwin “Rock” Baker, RB
    Leonard Johnson, CB Iowa St
    Chris Polk, RB
    Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, NT
    D”Angelo Tyson, NT Georgia
    Sammy Brown, LB, Houston
    Jacquies Smith, DE/LB, Missouri
    Brett Roy LB/DL Nevada
    Coryell Judie, FS-CB
    Alex Hoffman-Ellis, LB
    James Brown, OT-OG Troy St
    Ryan Steed, FS-CB Furman
    Quentin Saulsbury, C-G Miss. St.
    Dale Moss, WR, S. Dakota St. athlete, big, hands
    Derrick Coleman RB-FB UCLA power goalline
    Charles Brown CB-PR North Carolina

• Just Fire Baby

Tashuan Gipson!!

• horrordude0215

Pats picking up Dennard surprised me… Bill Belichick usually tries to avoid players with off field problems doesn’t he?

• Seymour Bush

On the clock

• alzadoX

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

****

ONLY CHARGED NOT CONVICTED. CALL TONY SERRA, ALFONZO

• Just Fire Baby

KoolKell,

Outside of your military time, have you ever lived outside the area code you are in now?

Did you ever work in another state besides CA?

Just curious

• Just Fire Baby

Maybe Burfict…..

• Seymour Bush

Travis Lewis and Dennard were nice late round picks. Still some players out there.

• horrordude0215

Let’s finish up and get someone strong on Defense, then take Burfict as an UFA.

• JB

Really pizzes me off that on the NFL channel, it always goes to commercial when the Raiders are picking. Planned conspiracy or coincidence.

• Dakota

RB….come on reggie

• Seymour Bush

Nathan Stupar?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Nathan Stupar

• horrordude0215

I’m at work and can’t watch the draft… who’d we pick up?

• Dakota

That pick was Stuparendous!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Penn st LB!! I like it!!

• YoungAmerican

7th round is always a good time to take a flier on a Penn State LB.

• Just Fire Baby

Another LB………..

Not sure a 7th rounder means much, but we drafted two LB’s and brought in a sure starter in Wheeler in FA.

Aaron Curry is on watch.

• horrordude0215

Don’t know much about the guy…. Who is he? lol.

• JB

Another LB. Good choice. At least we now have a quorum of LB’s to choose from. should end up with some depth.

• Seymour Bush

Looks like they are shoring up the Special Team units.

• mcfadden20.

PENN ST is known for creating great Linebackers for the NFL .. I like this pick alot

• RaidO

Would rather of Gambled on Burfict

• priesttj

Stupar not a bad pick at all he’s a movment kid plays well in space. Good depth and ST’s guy.

• Seymour Bush

Penn St OLB. Sparingly used. Not real big. Good football player, not a superstar athlete.

• mcfadden20.

PENN STATE IS KNOWN AS LINEBACKERS COUNTRY, NOt saying this will turn out to be great but u never know

• SharkCatcher

JB Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    —————————
    We really are in the we want ” instant news now” age. Back in the day we had to wait until the next day to read abut our picks in the local paper.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Looks like we got another mature character guy:

• YoungAmerican

RaidO Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Would rather of Gambled on Burfict

==============

That’s not a gamble. That’s throwing away a pick on a guy who is a bad football player.

• alzadoX

Nate Stupar, LB, Penn St. must have been a Wiz recommendation. Allegedly instinctive, intense, versatile all LB positions + special teams, decent speed but suspect athletic ability…sounds like a real good #7 pick

• Breaking_Black

Who drafted Cordarro Law?

• priesttj

Nice going Reggie and Co. based on what we had to work with we got solid football players.

• Seymour Bush

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

RaidO Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Would rather of Gambled on Burfict

==============

=========================================

Exactly. We want guys that love the game not pieces of sh** who don’t give a fu** (See Russell, Jamarcus)

• Seymour Bush

alzadoX Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Nate Stupar, LB, Penn St. must have been a Wiz recommendation.
    =======================================

True. Same thing with Crawford.

• 1960AutumnWind

JB Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

*************************
    Not true – when they picked Cristo they mispronounced his name stated RM “stumped the truck” and went on a 5-10 minute bender about Tebow. Honestly, they are so bad it is probably a blessing they go to commercial most of the time. They are talking about Tebow yet again. Please fire Eisen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1960AutumnWind

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    alzadoX Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Nate Stupar, LB, Penn St. must have been a Wiz recommendation.
    =======================================

True. Same thing with Crawford.

**************************
    I really hope that is not true with all the money the Raiders spend on scouting and the supposed strength of RM in evaluating talent. I hope this is a coincidence and they thought they under performed because of the chaos around the pedophile scandal.

• irjonny

i think there should be a rule in the nfl that teams have to make public their trading block. would be awesome

• 1960AutumnWind

OK I am out I can’t stand the NFLN – they are “grading the draft” I mean they have not even got to mini camp yet.

• SharkCatcher