LB Stupar transcript

Here is the entire transcript from a conference call with Penn State linebacker Nate Stupar, who was selected at No. 230, in the seventh round, by the Raiders on Saturday:

Your uncle is Jeff Hostetler. Is that right?
“Yeah.”

What has he told you about the Raiders?
“I just saw him play and stuff growing up. He really hasn’t told me anything. I had no idea that the Raiders were even interested, and all of a sudden I get a call from Oakland, Calif. I go, ‘What do these guys want?’ We talked to the coaches. So it was just an exciting time. Can’t wait.”

What do the Raiders want? Did they let you know what they have planned for you?
“Yeah, they were straight to the point. They were like, ‘We see you playing middle, doing some middle, getting right in there and getting some action at the middle. They know I can play some special teams as well and use my skills on special teams.”

You have pretty substantial experience on special teams?
“Yeah.”

Every unit pretty much?
“Mostly every one. I’m really good at punt return, I can do punt, I’m really good at kickoffs, just missing guys trying to block me running down, making open field tackles. You name it. If you want me to do it, I’ll do it.”

What are the things you think you have to work on at the NFL level?
“Just I guess the transition to middle linebacker. I’ve been playing outside the whole college career. I played some middle in some nickel packages. I’m sure I’ll get used to it really fast. I’m a quick learner, and just being able to use my hands in tight and defeating blocks more easily.”

Had other teams talked to you about moving to the middle?
“A lot of different teams, teams with 3-4s saw me as a middle linebacker, then teams with a 4-3 saw me as outside. So I got a lot of diversity with teams wanting me inside and outside.”

Excited to be with a former teammate out here, Jack Crawford?
“Yeah, Jack, Stefen Wisniewski. Stefen’s a really good friend of mine, so it’s going to be awesome to be out there with him.”

Who scouted you from the Raiders?
“To be honest, I don’t even know, because it was the first call that I’ve gotten since I talked to them at the combine. It was out of the blue. I talked with coach Allen on the phone and had some good news, talked to the GM. He asked me to be a Raider and I was ecstatic.”

Did you have expectations of being drafted today?
“Yeah, definitely. Miami said they were going to maybe take me in the last two 7 picks in the seventh round. They didn’t take with me that seventh pick. I was in the car with my parents and fiancé driving back from ….. my brother’s spring game, and after following on the little NFL app that Miami took a wide receiver instead of me, I was kind of down. Then all of a sudden California calls. My mom was looking at her phone, and she goes, ‘What!’ The next pick was the Oakland Raiders. We just couldn’t believe it. We were ecstastic. Still surreal to me.”

In meetings with the Raiders were they explicit at all on whether they’re going 4-3 or 3-4 or a combination of the two?
“They didn’t decide or tell me anything about the specific defense, but they told me that they wanted me as an inside linebacker.”

Steve Corkran

• CanuckRaider

1st?

• Seymour Bush

Raiders

• Seymour Bush

What do the Raiders want? Did they let you know what they have planned for you?
    ========================================

Looks like the Rolando McClain era is OVER

• CanuckRaider

First time I’ve been first here…Off to the kwiki-mart for a lotto ticket.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

PeymourGlen I haven’t seen you call out any bloggers for being a Bronco or Browns fan. Quite a few props went out to those teams draft’s

#fuktard

• YoungAmerican

Bucs got Leonard Johnson.

• CanuckRaider

#3: I think they’re hedging their bet where Romac is concerned…Smart.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Yes, they will replace him with a rookie 7th rounder.
    lol
    ______

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Looks like the Rolando McClain era is OVER

• YoungAmerican

Steve Corkran ‏ @CorkOnTheNFL

Pittsburgh DE Brandon Lindsey linked to signing with Raiders as undrafted free agent.

VERY nice.

• RaiderSam

Miles Burris, LB, San Diego St. – ” A nasty, hard working football player who displays good instincts, a great motor and a lot of explosive elements to his game. At worst, Burris is a stud special teams guy with the ability to start at the next level. He can play either inside or out as well.”

Jack Crawford, DE, Penn St. – “A big, strong defensive end prospect who still has some upside to his game. But won’t be able to take that next step until he learns to play with a more consistent pad level. A size prospect worth developing long term.”

Juron Criner, WR, Arizona – “He’s a talent, there is no doubt about that. However, the key in determining his draft stock is where he’s at mentally and physically. If he checks out in both areas he could develop into a starting caliber wide out. But looks more like a sub-package guy. ”

Christo Bilukidi, DT, Georgia – “Last name is pronounced “bil-loo-KEY-dee.” Born in Angola, where his father is a diplomat. Has also lived in France (is fluent in French) and Brazil. Prepped in Ottawa, Ontario, where he was primarily a basketball player (played one season of football)….One of the top prospects on the CFL’s radar, Bilukidi has intriguing size, length and movement skills. Recorded a 34½-inch vertical leap and redirects and accelerates very well for a big man. However, he did not consistently dominate marginal competition and his eyes and instincts could be restricting.”

Nate Stupar, LB, Penn St. – “He posted a very solid forty yard dash time of 4.75 seconds. But, it was the agility drills where he really turned heads. Nathan was able to post the fastest 3 Cone drill of any LB at 6.84 seconds. He also posted top 5 times in the 60 yard shuttle, and looked fluid and agile in LB drills. ….nephew of ex-Raider and Giant QB Jeff Hostetler.”

I dont agree with the analysis, but i do agree that passing on Alameda Ta’amu was questionable….but maybe there was something Reggie knew on him and Chapman’s ACL injury…. The bottom line is its really an incomplete grade, because R.McKenzie didnt have 1st and 2nd round picks to work with. Lets see him work the magic with the real thing – the undrafted free agents. No other picks were head scratchers at all, but Christo was on some CFL teams radar…and was one of the “PFW sleepers”.

• aig-raiders

Spec teamer for sure. If he smart he can do that for 10 yrs as a versatile bk up lb and fulltime sp.

• aig-raiders

I think goethel is toast.

• jraider

In Reggie we trust.

Go Raiders!

• PurpleDrank81

Reggie go out and pick up Case Keenum

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

PeymourGlen, you wanted DMAC red shirted his rookie year but a 7th round LB you figure should replace McClain.

lmao…..brilliant

• aig-raiders

I like case keenum and he can do well in west coast system

• YoungAmerican

Steve Corkran ‏ @CorkOnTheNFL

Pittsburgh G/T Lucas Nix reportedly signed with Raiders.

HUGE! I had this guy rated as a 6th rounder.

• CanuckRaider

#12: Goethel is still young and was a tackling machine in college…This is make or break year for him though.

• Raider D

Ro not going anywhere seymore!

• PurpleDrank81

I had a Lucas Nix Low 7 but again another good pick up

• YoungAmerican

Aaron Henry, Brandon Lindsey, Lucas Nix, and Derek Carrier… ALL draftable players.

• CanuckRaider

Nice to see us striking quickly on the UDFAs.

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

#fuktard
    ====================================

Wow Jamista Clown, you are more bitter and ugly than normal. What happened you lose three jobs in two hours again?

• RaiderSam

MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:11 pm
    Yes, they will replace him with a rookie 7th rounder.
    lol
    ______

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Looks like the Rolando McClain era is OVER

==============

Marques Colston was a 7th rounder

London Fletcher wasnt even drafted, brainiac

You people ARE HILARIOUS.

• PurpleDrank81

Dominique Hamilton Mizzou DL just signed to Raiders

• YoungAmerican

Sigmund Bloom ‏ @SigmundBloom

RT @Lance_Lewis1 Raiders RT @beth3390: any teams talk to you yet about being signed as a free agent?

• YoungAmerican

Dom Hamilton?! There’s your shade NT, folks.

• Hot Shot

Where are you Guys finding the info for the UDFAs.

• YoungAmerican

Twitter.

• aig-raiders

I like goethel but h is glass like chaz.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

WR is a much different position than MLB you FK’n meatball!
    _____

RaiderSam Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Marques Colston was a 7th rounder

• YoungAmerican

Kenneth Arthur ‏ @KennethArthurS

Vontaze Burfict has signed with Enterprise Rent a Car.

• PurpleDrank81

Y/A are you sure I heard he signed with HERTZ

• YoungAmerican

Aaron Henry
    Brandon Lindsey
    Lucas Nix
    Dom Hamilton
    Derek Carrier

GREAT UDFA class so far. C’mon, Sammy Brown!

• Hot Shot

Thanks young American.

• Hardline

Most anyone could replace JellyRoll and ThunderThighs #55, and have greater success. McClain’s almost as big as but as JMR; he just didn’t cost us as much.

• PurpleDrank81

I always feel like me and Y/A are on the same page… Long Lost Brothers????

• RaiderSam

MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    WR is a much different position than MLB you FK’n meatball!
    _____

RaiderSam Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Marques Colston was a 7th rounder

––––––––

london fletcher is a wide receiver too, huh genius?

stay away from the draft board, please…grown folks talking….

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    WR is a much different position than MLB you FK’n meatball!
    ___________________________________

Why don’t you just crawl back under your rock. Men are discussing football and the NFL draft. Two things among many that you don’t know anything about.

• aig-raiders

In regards to romac, i dont think reggie cares what round he was drafted in. If he cant play this yr romac is gone.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis The Realist Dirty Raccoon

Look out Rolando McDummy.

• Hardline

Anyone who puts any future stock in McClain…..they must be chewing that special candy, without cavities!

• YoungAmerican

More on Derek Carrier:

He is 6-foot-3, 240 pounds and ran a 4.49 40-yard dash. He has a 40-inch vertical jump and did a three-cone run in 6.69 seconds, which is off the charts.

Most important, Carrier has shown he can produce. He had 75 catches and l12 touchdowns last season. The only knock on this specimen is the level of competition he has faced.

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    WR is a much different position than MLB you FK’n meatball!
    ===========================================

WR’s normally take longer to develop ass wipe. Jamista Clown is soooooo stupid his shopping cart is smarter than he is.

• Hardline

MistaBrown,

Why don’t you and JellyRoll 55 become cell mates in Alabama. Of course for that to happen you would have to go down there and play, “thug in the ghetto.”

• RaiderSam

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    MistaBrown Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    WR is a much different position than MLB you FK’n meatball!
    ___________________________________

==============

i mean, Rolando McClain might turn it around, but wouldn’t it be a good idea to get somebody ready just in case….it wont be a rush to replace him, but they’re obviously is going to get some competition and upgrade special teams with Stupar… as I surmised, Reggie McKenzie was going to get it done with the Undrafted Free agents….

• Hardline

RaiderSam,

McClain won’t turn anything around including his jelly roll as he hits the turf after cartwheeling through the air as an RB blows by him.

Read up on his negatives before he was drafted; it all came true. He may have some physical skills but his attitude is horrible and his IQ around 60. And Coach Sabin be damned.

There is nothing there: 0 + 0 = 0. What didn’t exist can’t be turned around.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Nate Stupar posts himself as “thenastynate” on twitter.

• CanuckRaider

Couple of quick questions for Kell before I go:
    1)- What malt liquor gives you the biggest bang for your buck?
    2)- Which park is safest to drink it in?
    That’s all…I’ll be back tomorrow for your answers.

• RaiderSam

Hardline Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 5:32 pm
    RaiderSam,

There is nothing there: 0 + 0 = 0. What didn’t exist can’t be turned around.

—————

Well, he knocked out Darren Sproles and did a suplex on Danny Amendola (body slamming him to the ground)…i had such high hopes…LOL

lets see what Stupar has got…and i wouldnt be surprised if Raiders dont throw out some vet minimum contracts at guys like former Charger Stephen Cooper.