Raiders go with defensive player for final pick

The Raiders tabbed a Penn State player in the 2012 NFL draft for the second time. This time, it’s linebacker Nathan Stupar, a 6-feet-2, 240-pounder.
Stupar wasn’t a full-time starter at Penn State. He is the kind of player who gets by more on his smarts and determination than he does with his ability, which still is somewhat impressive.
He is projected to be a dependable special teams player and solid backup, with an outside shot at developing into a starting-caliber player.
That’s fine with the Raiders. They have a need for an infusion of youth and smarts on their special teams and an opening for a backup linebacker.
Stupar played outside linebacker in college. However, he said the Raiders informed him that he will be moved inside, which means he will back up projected starter Rolando McClain from the outset.

Steve Corkran

• GForce21

Dakota Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Any 220lb rbs left who can convert on a 3rd and a long 2?
    ———–

Pretty stunned Chris Polk was still on the board. Listening to ESPN radio in the AM here in Washington, many consider him the best RB in the history of their program.

I think Kaufman and Cory Dillon might have something to say about that though.

• Raiders for life

But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?

• M Lonetree

the proverbial ten-foot pole now has a cousin, the twenty-foot pole – it is called a Burfict

• irjonny

so anyone know where to get live updates of udfa signings? probably twitter?

• r8eray

Raiders For Life Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?

======

Brewster?

• Seymour Bush

irjonny Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yeah i’m really high on the Burris and Criner picks.
    =========================================

Bergstrom was the guy I wanted. lst team All Pac 12 as a RT. I don’t think he allowed a sack his Senior Season. Very athletic, will get bigger and stronger, smart, and yes, loves the game.

• Hot Shot

I read Blogs from folks on here and some of you are the biggest haters.Guys from small schools turn out to be some of the best Players.Give these guys a chance and quit hating.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

52.Raiders for life Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?
    ————————————-
    Good question. But, there will be Vet’s added when camps open.

• SharkCatcher

Why O Why O did I drink Cappuccino

• Seymour Bush

edward teach Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

17. What’s YOUR draft tool? Walter Football? YouTube? Mel’s Big Board?

Some of you guys just really crack me up. Like you really have a clue. I mean, it’s fun to try and predict picks and all, but you are seriously deluded if you think you know more than the guys that do this for a living.
    =============================================

True. I told you guys you are WAAAAAAAY overvaluing Josh Chapman.

• Hot Shot

Listen to this crap.We should of drafted this guy or that guy.Are you a scout then shut up!!!!!!

• irjonny

r8eray Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Raiders For Life Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?

======

Brewster?

+++++++++++

good point. veldheer and alex parsons i think for now. more cuts to come soon though maybe we get another in FA

• Al_is_theraiders

i never thought I would see the day that the whiners had more guts than the raiders….oh well time to drown my sorrows….

• M Lonetree

Hot Shot,

agreed.

most folks are FF players and if they haven’t heard of the name then in their eyes he ain’t worth a mole turd.

• SharkCatcher

Im going to laugh at everybody when Rolando Balls out this year.. I need to start writting down the name of the non believers!

• alzadoX

Georgia DL DeAngelo Tyson off board…there goes another UDFA

• M Lonetree

Back-up everything = Bergstrom

• SharkCatcher

when is mini camp

• Raiders for life

But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?

======

Brewster?

###########################

Didn’t realize he was still available. Brewster was supposed to go late 3rd early 4th. Hmmm. Still read good things about him. Wonder whats up with that.

• irjonny

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

irjonny Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yeah i’m really high on the Burris and Criner picks.
    =========================================

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, I didn’t get to see much film on him and didn’t watch him at all in college. i like what i’ve heard so far. in my opinion smart to get a 26 year old with as much playing time as a 22 year old. just as many years in his legs and more mature. hopeful of him starting next to wiz

• alzadoX

new Reggime first draft officially over, as we are down to the final round compensatory picks…unless someone refuses to draft and lets Raiders use their pick

• SharkCatcher

The Coup- fat cats and bigga fish
    (playing in the background)

• Seymour Bush

SharkCatcher Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

===============================================

Start with me. I REALLY want him to play well, but how many LB’s did we take with limited picks in this draft? That has to tell you something.

• Hot Shot

Rolando is not a bad player.Just think his off the field issues might be a problem that the coach dont want.

• SharkCatcher

May the best 53 Men Prevail

• xraided

I hope you’re right Shark. only i worry about the arthritis he must play through every game. that and his court BS. he’s going to get suspended either way … which makes him a dumbazz. we need a capable backup, that’s for sure.

i wish we could get EJ Henderson to really push him. obviously that’s very costly though.

• freezetag168

Raiders for life Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

But the question remains…what do the Raiders do for backup center?
    ———————————————–
    I think Bergstrom might be learning the center position to add to his “versatility” and to the team’s OL depth.

• PurpleDrank81

Bergstrom and Criner were good value picks…..Granted they werent sexy picks they were real football playing picks…. I’m a giant fan of Burris and have watched alot of game tape on him… I wasnt impressed at all with our other picks and still think Christo should have been a udfa…..

I grade us out at about a C+..

• YoungAmerican

I’d give this draft class a B-. For the most part, did what they could with the few picks they had. I’ll be interested to see what the UDFA class looks like.

• xraided

70.irjonny Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:51 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

irjonny Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yeah i’m really high on the Burris and Criner picks.
    =========================================

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

____________

or at RT. sheesh, we need something there pronto! unless BigMac really thinks Barksdale is the man. haven’t heard a peep out of that guy. the Mac knows whawt’s best for this defense at this point in time …

• Raiders for life

#####################3

I didn’t think about that. Good point.

• xraided

PS can anyone post some good video of Bergstrom? can’t seem to find anway, thanks.

• Al_is_theraiders

i think reggie overshot, effort guys are great until they get outjumped, outran, or just shoved aside….

• Hot Shot

There will be some good UDFA still to get.We are not done yet.

• Seymour Bush

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

============================================

I would probably give it a B- as well. OK, not great. We really were hamstrung here. I think they strayed off the BPA theory and went need. Which might not be a bad thing.

• mikep562

Didnt get my guy in markelle martin…but give reggie mac and da a+ for cutting routt, fa and draft…very solid considering we had no picks and no cap room…of course it helps when none of the other afc west teams bettered themselves in the first 2 rounds…very excited for next season

• M Lonetree

No Diamonds, no cubic zirconium either, rate it at topaz or amethyst.

• PurpleDrank81

Im still super excited about Miles Burris.. Some people think we mite have reached but this kid is pure gold…

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Smart, Versatile, Tough Football players, who love the game, and are willing to work hard towards it.

Just like Reggie said.

• mikep562

#83 yeah just ask routt how that worked out for him last year…smh…need high motor football players

• Seymour Bush

The Pac 12 is a passing conference. So guys with specialties in the passing game, Q’s, WR’s, TE’s, OT’s, CB’s, that do well in that conference transition well to the Pro Game.

• JONTRAIN

Antispy3 Says:

I’m totally non-plussed by the Raiders draft. They should have had Greenwood. If they wanted a WR Jones from Cal had to be their man. They draft two foreigners to play Dline. Don’t see alot of “football lovers” amongst their draft choices. Perhaps the OG from Utah will pan out.

They didn’t get Dennard from Nebraska. Should had him in the sixth. The Dline from Ga St. woulda been available as an undrafted FA.

I give the Raiders a “D.” Unbelivable.

Or is this an excuse for Reg to fire the entire Raiders scouting dept.?

What’s the Raiders most important draft tool? A dart board?

######

Wow. Just….wow.

It’s absolutely idiotic to “grade” a draft after it just happened. Let’s see how these picks pan out. Most of the time it takes 2-3 years to give any team’s draft an accurate grade.

I’ve been reading this blog the past couple days..seen some ridiculous things…but this one takes the cake. Not just the grading, but this guy seems to know exactly who we should have picked and when.

I’d like to see you give Reg and the scouts your very uniformed premature opinion.

You guys wanna grade drafts? Start in 2009 and work backwards

• Dakota

GForce21 Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    Dakota Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Any 220lb rbs left who can convert on a 3rd and a long 2?
    ———–

I think Kaufman and Cory Dillon might have something to say about that though.
    +++++++++++++

Mayock just said Polk has bad shoulders….fk that sign him up! Along with Fangupo!

• Raider D

I rate it a C+ C- C you later! I still wish we would if gotten starting C and Six coulda stayed at L G

• lefty12

Our back-up center could be Alex Parsons.

• PurpleDrank81

Stupar is Jeff Hostetler’s nephew

• Raiders for life

I’m not sure if Logan Harrell got picked up or not. If not that is a great example of an UDFA. A bit smallish for DT but a high motor play maker type.

• Hot Shot

How the hell do you know how these players will turn out.Kurt Warner was a bag boy and is now a future hall of famer.

• JONTRAIN

And I have yet to hear a black player referred to as “High motor” or “high effort” LOL…I hate how analysts use those terms almost automatically to describe white players.

• Seymour Bush

mikep562 Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

===============================

When the Packers took Matthews Jr people thought they reached badly. Look at that guy now. He’s a guy that just loves the game. Seems like a good plan to me.