Raiders stick with defense for third draft pick

The Raiders selected Penn State defensive end Jack Crawford with the 158th pick of the NFL draft, a pick they acquired from the Detroit Lions in a trade earlier today.
Crawford, 6-feet-5 and 274 pounds, is viewed by several so-called experts as a long-term project. They say he needs a ton of coaching and work on his technique.
Just the same, Crawford recorded 6 1/2 sacks last season in 13 games. He figures to compete for a roster spot as a backup and special teams player.
Crawford hails from London, England, and has limited football experience.

Steve Corkran

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Crawford hails from London, England, and has limited football experience.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He just got here in 2005 but he learns fast and has potential.

I think Priest might be right about a resemblance to Shaugnessy but the guy’s a project.
    For a 5th round pick, not bad

• YoungAmerican

Would LOVE Sammy Brown to be the pick here. Really like him.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Massa-what’s-his-face is gone.

• mcfadden20.

OK thank god Jonathan is gone i hope u people will shutup about him already now lol

• beach

Someone follow Massaquoi. I wonder how well he will do with the Falcons. :(

• 1960AutumnWind

Molk still there was he not projected to go in 4th?

• aig-raiders

Fangupo looks pretty good on tape. Hope we get him.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    Would LOVE Sammy Brown to be the pick here. Really like him.

========================================

I’d rather get Fangupo here. Brown should be there in Round 6, and maybe even Round 7 as well.

• DKnight007

Mossaquio is gone.

• DEATHROW 55

#54 lol

• Kirk

I think it’s safe to say that Reggie would never have taken Phillip Buchanon in the first round.

• Chris in NY

Burfict!

I know it’s not happening, but come on. At this point, worth a roll of the dice.

• priesttj

I seem to remmeber the same sentiments regarding Matt S when we drafted him that I’m reading about Crawford. Most of you have never seen the kid play yet you comment…………SOS same ol’ smoke!

• 1960AutumnWind

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    Crawford hails from London, England, and has limited football experience.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He just got here in 2005 but he learns fast and has potential.

For a 5th round pick, not bad

****************
    I hope your right but I think you are saying this because he is from GB. LOL

• ENGLANDRAIDER

I recall reading these posts last year and some of the same people were wondering why in the world we picked D.Moore in the 5th round.
    “Another receiver?!” they whined.

Get a fuk’n grip, it’s not a 1st round pick.

• mcfadden20.

Chris in NY Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Burfict!

we’ll take him in the 7th

• aig-raiders

Matt S had injuries in college so he didnt get to show a whole lot. Crawford is UNIMPRESSIVE.

• PurpleDrank81

Post 67 ……Very Very True…Not a big fan of this pick

• YoungAmerican

RaiderDuck Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    Would LOVE Sammy Brown to be the pick here. Really like him.

========================================

=================

I would reach for Brown. I think he’s going to be a very, very good player in this league. Just my opinion, though.

• nwr8r

from nfl.com

Overview

Crawford started for three years at Penn State and has just five years of experience at his position. He was a late bloomer who moved to the United States from England to play basketball in high school before picking up football and, eventually, a scholarship from Penn State. He is a developmental prospect who can still fill out his incredible frame. He is a late-round prospect who could be taken earlier if a team can live with developing him. He is an inconsistent player at this point in his career. He barely showed up against Houston in the Ticket City Bowl and logged only one pass defensed — a microcosm of his career at Penn State, where he generally just stood up and hoped to knock down balls with his frame

• boss01

Reggie got no. 230 for Burfict

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

I want us to draft Burfict and Brewster is still on the board. Zone blocking specialist Center.

• YoungAmerican

Crawford has only played DE for five years. Grew up overseas. Still raw. Project for the coaching staff.

• mcfadden20.

We will see what we got when the season starts too soon to be predicting their success or failures

• Thec

Burfict!

+++++++

he goes un drafted

• beach

If Crawford looks like Shaughnessey, that’s fine with me. We need depth on the d line, so I hope Reggie picked the right guy.

• DEATHROW 55

Navaro bowman was a bad mofo out of Penn state and wiz2 Aint no slouch so crawford might be a diomand in the rough, I just can’t stand his accent already.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    Crawford hails from London, England, and has limited football experience.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He just got here in 2005 but he learns fast and has potential.

For a 5th round pick, not bad

****************
    I hope your right but I think you are saying this because he is from GB. LOL
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not so Autumn.
    I could care less where he’s from, what color he is, or what religion he adheres to,
    I just want guys that can play football.

Like everyone else, I know not much about this guy except what we’ve seen at Penn State.
    On the other hand, if he played Rugby in England he might just be a hard man.

• 1960AutumnWind

A backup Center/Guard would be good about now – Go for Molk.

• JT

Maybe RM or the scouts have some inside knowledge on Crawford, but watching his tape, he looks like a regular D linemen, even lost on some plays…

The only positive I see is that hes a Penn State guy.

• mcfadden20.

Crawford will start opposite Matt S .. WHats his name the DE from Texas will move inside…

• aig-raiders

Sorry guys but Burfict is not a good player at all. He’s not even expected to go until the 6th or 7th round. Go watch his lilites and you hardly ever see him run full speed when he meets the ball carrier. Burris/Hightower/Irvin all do that. Romac/Burfict almost had the same tape. We all know how well Romac is playing for us.

• YoungAmerican

Burfict is really terrible. Undrafted.

• Thec

bengals just gotta a good Wr in jones…good value in this rd

• YoungAmerican

Bengals got Marvin Jones. Absurd value there. They’re having a very impressive draft.

• 1960AutumnWind

#78 England

Lighten up – that was a joke. You are not KK. Like I said he is a boom bust player. Reggie must of felt that our chances for starters is gone so now it is time to role the dice a little.

• mcfadden20.

DAMN how many picks does Cincinnati have?

• aig-raiders

Fangupo Reggie. Do it.

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

Great! The Bengals get another one (Marvin Jones, wr from Cal) of my favs, regardless if the Raiders woulda gone for him. . .

Trade Pryor for pix!

• Raider Riff

Crawford has a natural running motion. Good athlete. A raw DE isnt the wost thing.

I’d love to know Reggies thinking behind the pick.

• irjonny

dennard!!! please!!

• YoungAmerican

AND Iloka. Damn, Cinci…

• alzadoX

Hebron Fangupo NT/DT BYU
    Miles Burris, LB, S.D. St. GOT HIM ALREADY!
    Darrius Fleming, OLB/DE Notre Dame
    Billy Winn, DE, Boise St.
    Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska charged with hitting cop recently, best in zone
    Adrien Cole MLB La. Tech
    Audie Cole, LB,
    Edwin “Rock” Baker, RB
    David Molk, C
    Leonard Johnson, CB Iowa St
    Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly
    Chris Polk, RB
    Vick Ballard, RB

• mcfadden20.

YoungAmerican Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Yeah i think they win AFC North this year

• Dakota

Burfict? Why would we want a slow, drug addict lb who cant play on the field, and is trouble off the field?

We got most of that with Slowlando.

• mcfadden20.

We are on clock

• Raiders for life

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 12:24 pm
    A backup Center/Guard would be good about now – Go for Molk

###############

I agree, I don’t want #68 as backup C.

• Thec

Bengals get back to back triples..

• priesttj

Some of think these kids are being drafted to start based on comments. This entire draft is just depth IMO which we desparately need. Crawford is the kind of raw material we need to get on this team and develope. He’s a rotation prospect similar to what Des Bryant gave us and we’re looking for more players like him.

If you think depth you’ll understand the picks in this draft. Stop your whinning!!!!!