Nose tackle for multiple Raiders? Kelly

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 at 3:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen sat down with Tim Kawakami Wednesday and one of the nuggets during a 20-minute conversation is that Tommy Kelly would be the nose tackle should Oakland employ a 3-4 defense.

Allen has been steadfast in committing to a 4-3 or a 3-4 as a base, saying only the Raiders would be “multiple’ in scheme. Most of Allen’s background (Atlanta, New Orleans, Denver) has been in a 4-3. His defensive coordinator, Jason Tarver, ran a 3-4 as a co-coordinator at Stanford last year.

Kelly has played end and tackle with the Raiders, with the general consensus being he is best suited to the three-technique _ same as Richard Seymour.

Over the past two years, with neither Seymour nor Kelly being the prototypical run-stuffing tackle, the Raiders have suffered against the run.

Here’s a link to Kawakami’s column which includes a a transcript of his talk with Allen.

• JLofty

*youngsterS*

• alzadoX

· Hot Shot Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 3:36 pm
    What did Denver run last year on D.
    ****
    I have done a little research re: Broncos’ D last year and can shed a little light here, but I’m not an expert on Denver’s D last year

Denver ran a “multiple” defense that was primarily a 4-3 in Allen’s only season as D-Coord.

The primary NT (4-3 NT) was Broderick Bunkely. A recent acquisition by the Broncos whose previous career arc was a mildly disappointing #1 draft pick, most knowledgeable observers said Bunkely had a career year last year as an important cog in Denver’s D.

Bunkely is about 6-2 and about 310 lbs I believe. He was a productive run stuffer and a little help on the pass rush.

The most important thing is how he was utilized. And it was different than the traditional (disappearing?) NT role. Rather than always sitting at the line and occupying multiple blockers and always having 2-gap responsibility, Bunkley often played on the move, and sometimes his role was to penetrate gaps rather than always sit at the line and occupy blockers. He made quite a few plays in the backfield. Denver mixed it up, kept the offense guessing. Allen calls it “multiple”. This seems to be a trend in the NFL, Allen appears to be on the cutting edge, and most of us blog Semi’s are far behind. So who are we to second guess Allen?

Obviously Bunkely has a much lower base than the 6-5 to 6-6 Kelly. Bunkely was known as a strong anchor player. Bunkely was considered by far the best 4-3 NT available in free agency , and signed with New Orleans for over $5 million per year I believe. Physically, Lamar Houston would be the Raiders’ DL who most closely resembles Bunkely , for what it’s worth. Travis Ivey is a former practice squad player who is listed only as a NT. The Raiders are supposedly high on him.

Allen took over a D that was worse than awful in 2010 (remember 59 pts Raiders win, Broncos worst D in NFL) and improved them to 20th and good enough to keep Tim Tebow in games and win 1st round playoffs. However, the Broncos had pass rushing LB Von Miller 2nd pick in 2011 draft, and RDE/LB Elvis Dumerville back after being out injured in 2010. The Raiders’ D hasn’t had comparable impact players, or even “difference makers” in awhile. I have high hopes that Sho’Nasty, and maybe Tyvon Branch, Ron Bartell, and others can approach that level, but we sure need some players to step up and really stand out on D, imo

• Crabs and the nasty itch

YO YO YO RAIDAHS COMIN TO A STADIUM NEAR YOU

My ol’ lady don’t by the toilet seat story
    I was at a Raider game droppin a duece times forty
    I read a book about crabs and how they operate
    But this itch feels like they penetrate

Them stalls are nasty and raunchy
    Should of left my log in the laundry
    Now my ol’ lady gave me the couch
    While I scatch all night long and go ouch

RAIDAH RAIDAH HOLLA HOLLA JUST DONT SCRATCH AND KEEP A BALLA

• One Nasty Dude

Raider O Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 4:30 pm
    * Allen said the Raiders signed Matt Leinart because they felt they needed another veteran QB–to help out Carson Palmer, but also to help out Terrelle Pryor, too.

He said Leinart and Pryor (and I guess Rhett Bomar) are all competing for the 2-3 slots behind Palmer.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Competition!!
    ====================================================

Reggie is a smart dude.

• lefty12

144-Reggie didn’t draft Ryan Grant.

• Hardline

112.AmysInCharge Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 7:03 pm
    Yo TJ in Mountain View, face the facts…Pryor sucks, isnt a QB, wont see him in preseason as he wont even make it to Napa,…the only difference between him and Jamarcus is Pryor doesnt drink Sizzurp…(he prolly does actually)…Leinart is alot better then Pryor, thats why Big Reg signed him. Sorry your buddies in Alameda are being canned, no more free tix for you,..at least you wont have to make coffee and lunch runs anymore. By the way, Im glad Junior shot himself, I hate the Chargers,..great news.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Amy,

You trying to112.AmysInCharge Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 7:03 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Amy,

You trying to resuscitate AL D. Davis ?? hmmmmmm…..I wouldn’t if I were you !

• Marks hair

Wow..

• AmysInCharge

F Seau and the Chargers,..glad he wimped out and did himself,..hes a biitch, like all Chargers. Word.

• R8derdiehard

Damn to say your glad someone shot themselves is pretty classless. I hate the chargers and I hated jr. Seau just like I hate Tom Brady and the pats. Cause they torch my team.

Seau was a beast and pi$$Ed me off on several occasions, but to say your glad he shot himself, I mean c’mon. Why don’t you go shoot yourself world would be better without people that think like you

• AmysInCharge

Thanks for reminding me about the Pats,..hope Tom Brady pulls a Seau tomorrow. Word.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Amy’s in charge aka Norco a likely prospect for the self gunshot wound, too.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Brady won’t have the brain damage Seau had, considering it’s a 20 yard penalty to make contact with Brady.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

“wimped out and did himself in”. lol. Good grief.

• AmysInCharge

I quit taking Norcos, been about a year. Percocets much better. The best part of Seau death was his mom ballin on tv. LMAO. F the Bolts.

• R8derdiehard

Lol

• AmysInCharge

I have a great sign for opener on MNF,..my row 1 seats,..perfect spot,…hope it gets on tv.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Really, the best part of Seau’s death is that brain damage caused by football, and depression, will be taken more seriously.

• AmysInCharge

The best part is to come,..hope to see more of this,..bring it on.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Norco’s sign: “I’m the reason to say no to drugs!”

• R8derdiehard

Amyincharge= Piece of sh!te …your just mad cause your mom would give a sh!!tt if you shot yourself

• AmysInCharge

Seau had to play football,..only other job he was qualified to do was pick pineapples. Bigger bucks in the NFL. I wont miss that punk at all. F the Bolts.

• R8derdiehard

Wouldn’t that is

• AmysInCharge

Nah MR,..my sign so much better,..it will get ripped down but hopefully it gets on tv before that.

• R8derdiehard

Yes F the bolts you’ve eatin up enough of my attention congrats douche

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Right on, Norco. Your shock factor has earned you one follower tonight, me. And only because I’m bored to death.

• AmysInCharge

Im getting a few of the illegals in San Diego mad at the posts Im putting on their Craigslist rants and raves link,..LMAO. F the Chargers.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Norco,

Me, Rich Gannon and Marcus Allen are making a sign, too.

• AmysInCharge

Hate to bum ya out ese, but Im heading to the Elephant Bar,..Sunrise Mall one,..come for a drink! Cya. Thank you Junior for making my day!!! F your mom and the Bolts too wimp.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

The white man is the real illegal.

• Raidernationdave

Wat up Beoyches!

• Raidernationdave

I’m high.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Have fun, Norco. Hope you’re riding a bike, for everyone’s sake.

• Raidernationdave

Crabs and the nasty itch

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

I’m high.

• Raidernationdave

Ok, lemme see here.

Have we talked out the 3-4 and who’s going to play NT and whether of not TP is ready to be a backup etc.?

• Hot Shot

Wonder if the Raiders will pull out big Wang to play on the line at all.

• Hot Shot

ohioraider Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Raider Riff Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Jerry Mac should be slapped for even bringing Kawakami onto this blog. To hell with that Raider hating Krapawami!

Where is Herera when you need him.
    ————————————-
    You’ve got to be joking. So who are you anyways, hotshot? You’ve made some pretty grandiose claims on here, being an insider and what not. Please do tell.
    ========================================================What grandoise claims you talking about?And being an insider for what?

• wanker wanker

ding-a-ling dang dang dang dong a dong dong
    give it a pull and a dub a dub dub all night long

didn’t quite make the hot seat before this duece dropped

• Cookie

Anyone here who doesn’t think Reggie was given full power to mop up Alameda and do as he sees fit for the betterment of the Raiders has their head up where the sun don’t shine. Reggie is pulling all the strings.

• Just Win Baby

New post, dorks

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See May 2, 2012 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• ohioraider

AmysInCharge Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 10:37 pm

The best part is to come,..hope to see more of this,..bring it on.
    ————————————
    You’re a lousy kunt.

• tharris236

I’d much rather see Kelly be a DE in the 3/4. He’s too small now for a NT. He’s more of a UT. Kelly only started earning his keep when he slimmed down to his current playing weight. I do not like the thought of him fattening back up and returning to the Kelly of 3-4 years ago. BAD move. Keep him at his current weight so that he can perform as he has the last 2 years. Having Seymour and Kelly at DE and a monster NT would be awesome in plugging the middle for the run. Kelly as NT for plugging the run… not so good. Stay 4-3 for that. I would not have a problem with that as a alternate set in mixing things up. But, making that our base… not going to work well. Kelly would play worse with the added weight and after the year he’ll get cut and we’ll bring in someone else. Sign Franklin this year until we can find a more permanent solution at NT.

• RaiderSam

SaintKaufman Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 5:15 pm
    How exactly did our 2nd/3rd string QB become such a hot button topic??

====================

See Kansas City game in Oakland, last year or Jacksonville game the year prior 2010 (the one where Bollar went in for one play for JCampbell , and promptly threw a pick)

• RaiderSam

Crabs And The Nasty Itch Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 9:41 pm
    YO YO YO RAIDAHS COMIN TO A STADIUM NEAR YOU

My ol’ lady don’t by the toilet seat story
    I was at a Raider game droppin a duece times forty
    I read a book about crabs and how they operate
    But this itch feels like they penetrate

Them stalls are nasty and raunchy
    Should of left my log in the laundry
    Now my ol’ lady gave me the couch
    While I scatch all night long and go ouch

RAIDAH RAIDAH HOLLA HOLLA JUST DONT SCRATCH AND KEEP A BALLA

==========================

It’s hard being a Raider fan and hearing demos like this.

Sincerely,

Them stalls are nasty and raunchy
    Should of left my log in the laundry
    Now my ol’ lady gave me the couch
    While I scatch all night long and go ouch

RAIDAH RAIDAH HOLLA HOLLA JUST DONT SCRATCH AND KEEP A BALLA

==========================

It’s hard being a Raider fan and hearing demos like this.

Sincerely,

Ice Cube

• RaiderSam

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 8:57 pm
    Raiders for life Says:
    May 2nd, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Translation from coachspeak: Bye Bye So-longo McLame.

##################

Personally, I hope the kid does a 180. If not, fk him he won’t be a Raider anymore.
    ==================================================

I hope so as well. Aaron Curry came here and played well for the Raiders. McLame really didn’t. And he has off field issues. Judging from the way the front office and coaches are putting the team together, McLame is looking like one of those “wrong system fits”.

==========

May be some truth to that – Nate Stubpar was saying they wanted to look at him at MLB during his Q & A.

Q: What do the Raiders want? Did they let you know what they have planned for you?

Stupar: “Yeah, they were straight to the point. They were like, ‘We see you playing middle, doing some middle, getting right in there and getting some action at the middle. They know I can play some special teams as well and use my skills on special teams.”

• Johnny the Raider

Time to look at Fat Albert and NT… No stomping please

• Hot Shot

I dont think the coaches want guys who have the attitude Albert does.

• Johnny the Raider

hey hey hey … It Fat Albert time…
    Mr Haynesworth is cheep but can clog the middle..