Seau in Oakland was can’t miss entertainment

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 at 11:40 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some day either there will be a new football stadium in Oakland or the Raiders will leave town, but they’ll never replace the memories that only a few of us in the business had when watching Junior Seau play at the Coliseum.

Say what you will about the crumbling Coliseum, but the best thing about being part of the home team media is that opposing coaches are right next door in what is normally the home radio booth for baseball. A thin sheet of plexiglass is all that separates the visiting coaches from the press.

That was never more advantageous or entertaining than when Seau played against the Raiders in Oakland, which fortunately happened every season. It was one of the first things I thought of today when the news broke that Seau had taken his own life at age 43.

I’ll leave the heartfelt tributes for Seau to guys like Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated and Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports!, both of whom did him justice Wednesday in a way I never could. Take the time to click on the above links if you want an idea of what Seau was all about.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with bad news, and in this case, I’ll choose to remember the reaction Seau often got from his own coaching staff when facing the Raiders, because it will never fail to make me smile.

Seau played linebacker as if it were a saxophone in a jazz composition. He knew the notes, but was a firm believer in instinct and improvisation.

It drove his coaches nuts on game day. Here they had painstakingly put in a game plan, with every permutation accounted for. Only to have Seau freelance and play from the heart.

“#!%&!$#@ Junior, what the hell are you doing!,” coaches would shriek through into their headsets. “No, no, no no! . . . . Yes, yes, yes, yes!! . . . Great play, Junior!.”

It was incredible theater, listning to his coaches rip Seau for his freelancing and then in the next instant be delighted when he came up with a big play.

We usually got Seau once a year on the conference call the Chargers set up with opposing writers, and he seldom failed to disappoint. He spoke from the heart, his passion for the sport always evident.

I mentioned to Seau the things we’d heard in the press box, how coaches were besides themselves because he’d gone his own way, then ecstatic a moment later when he made a big play.

I thought I’d get at least a chuckle out of it, instead, he seemed a little disgusted.

Seau explained that perhaps the coaches never understood that perhaps his instinct came from extensive study and passion for the game. That maybe he knew what he was doing it was probably time the coaches understood that, although Seau seemed to doubt they ever would.

To be fair, there were games, particularly in the Jon Gruden years, where the Raiders seemed to be able to lure Seau out of position and his impact would be minimal. But those instances were far outweighed by the times Seau was a legitimate force. To my knowledge, there was never a time when anyone associated the Raiders ever looked forward to playing him other than having the opportunity to measure themselves against an all-time great.

There were no mixed emotions in the visiting press box, where the Seau dynamic was as good as it gets.

• Raidernationdave

Reggie pinched a huge, nasty-azz turd this morning – film at 11:00!

• papertiger418

So…did anybody else see the Avengers this weekend?

1352.papertiger418 Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 8:50 pm
    So…did anybody else see the Avengers this weekend?

No, but I laid on the couch and looked on as my wife watched “Daddy don’t let me dance with danger” on Lifetime.

Papertiger,

Was it any good?

• hendu

1342, Yea I read that earlier, if lib writers keep stirring it up, could be a short term problem. Anyone see the fight last night? Both fighters took blows to the Head, cant remember a boxer taking his life, can You. NHL players, taking blows, cant recall a player taking his life, can You? Next thing will be, a Baseball pitcher who throws 95, nope, 75 is MAX,a Player may be hurt. Life is a risk,and they get paid well.IMO,take youre concern to the wounded in the military, they could use the support $$$$$

• arkraider

Oh come on DJ- you know you were glued to that lifetime movie! Go ahead admit it!

• papertiger418

Yeah, it was awesome. Exactly what you want out of a superhero movie. They did a great job with the Hulk (allowing him to smash a bunch of different things), and Scarlett Johannsen looked amazing as the Black Widow, and plenty of well-staged action. The way one reviewer put it, Avengers is like Transformers with a heart, a brain, and a working sense of humor.

@DJ
    My girlfriend was watching “Mother, may I please sleep with danger?”, starring Tori Spelling, on Lifetime the other day. Do you think it’s like a sequel or something to “Daddy don’t let me dance with danger?”

• DJ Johnny

Curious how others would rank their favorite “lay on the couch on a Sunday afternoon” movies.

-The Firm
    -SCYFY “gore” movies
    -John Hughes flicks
    -Back to the Future (1,2 and 3)
    …not ranked becuz of quality but more cuz they aren’t challenging and allow me to muse about other things at the same time i’m watching them.

• Nnamdi21

NEW!~ ‎05-06-12: REGGIEBALL NO SAFE BET…

There are some who rejoice that the evil Al Davis has finally released his iron grip over all things Raider With that freedom comes change but change alone doesn’t guarantee success.

————————–

I think alot of Raider fans realize it could / should be a building project, maybe a 3-5 yr plan even.

Others will blame it all on Davis mortgaging the future but its really just a new Owner, GM, HC and DC implementing a new system and dragging the Raiders into the computer age.

• arkraider

“Looking on while my wife watched…..” Ha ha yeah right. You could probably give a brief review of the movie!!

• papertiger418

I would put Tombstone on the top of my “lay on the couch” list of movies. Or It’s Always Sunny in Philly for my list of shows.

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo, fresh off the Kings punching their ticket to the conference finals, my lyrical blog destruction of SamBorg and the Lake Show rapping up another sweet win, time for the Beeech Dawg to get serious and work on some jokes

Check this one about the Avengers, might use it tomorrow when I practice my routine on my parents -

Hey mom, have you heard about that dorky superhero movie?
    No son, praytell, what is the title?
    The Avengnerds. Get it?

I can already see the Improv rolling after that one and a bunch of chicks buying me cold margaritas

• Intrepid

Might get that put on my grave stone.

“There’s always next season”.———————————-I’ve already had it engraved. But I’m not dying anytime soon, so go ahead and use it!

• arkraider

Probably could give a brief review

• papertiger418

Seriously, we need a new post. It doesn’t have to be anything groundbreaking, it could even be a review of the draft picks of other AFC West teams and how it affects the Raiders, or a quick evaluation of some area of need by the team, like LBs. Just something besides this macabre Seau headline.

Still, Jerry and Steve have been doing a great job lately. I’ll forgive them for taking the weekend off.

• Intrepid

neilb Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 3:57 am

Might get that put on my grave stone.

“There’s always next season”.
    —————————————————————clarification

• papertiger418

Hey Beech, how about Game of Thrones? That’s cool right?

1360.arkraider Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Yeah. That girl should’ve never got involved with that guy…I could tell he was bad news from the start.

• The Beeech Dawg

Game of Thrones is pretty dope, I usually get a decent semi during the whorehouse scenes

I’d let that dragon queen tramp slob my nob but only after a medieval sponge bath

Chick is normally 105lbs but 110lbs with all that desert dust in her hoo-ha

1361.papertiger418 Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Tombstone is a good choice for me too.

• Raidernationdave

hendu Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++
    The problem with the military, teachers, cops and firedudes is nobody pays to watch them work.

1357.papertiger418 Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

@DJ

That’s it. Got the title mixed up. Ha.

• Seymour Bush

Wow. Sam kicked biachi’s ass in the rap off. RIP biachi

• Raidernationdave

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

-The Firm
    -SCYFY “gore” movies
    -John Hughes flicks
    -Back to the Future (1,2 and 3)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    How ’bout “A Few Good Men”? I swear every time I see Demi Moore in that movie I sport wood for two weeks!

1369.The Beeech Dawg Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Chick is normally 105lbs but 110lbs with all that desert dust in her hoo-ha

It’d be great if you could find a spot in 2Kewl4Skewl for that little dwarf from Game of Thrones. The guy is dope.

RaiderDave,

I love when Tom Cruise tells off Col. Jessup at the end. Classic.

• The Beeech Dawg

Bust, you’ve ran away in tears from every blog rap battle challenge I’ve ever graciously thrown your way

Actually you pull a KrappyRat, which is instantly disappear, then reappear meekly a few hours later on the blog hoping everyone forgot

The Certified Platinum Posse just revoked your voting card, sorry sister

• Seymour Bush

The forty ounce is already on the curb for you biach.

• RaiderSam

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 3:56 pm
    SamBorg the Uber Goober

Love when you dare step into my lyrical blog octagon for yet another lesson in getting roasted hip hop style

Hope you’re wearing a triple ply diaper and not drinking a Super Big Gulp cause you’re gonna straight wet yourself

Yo yo yo, holla back Run DMC
    Smacking SamBorg is easy money
    Dropping hip hop bombs on you is simple, whut whut
    So take a good lick of deez nutz (aka my nads)

Yo Sam, now how you feelin’?
    Getting dissed so hard you must be illin’
    Now dry those tears as I finish my song
    Cause I’ve also got a superior ding dong*

*i’m referring to both mass and length

Better check your grill, cause you just got BBQd

AH YEAH DOWNTOWN JULIE BROWN REPRESENT
    =============================

aw you done did it, now…

This dude is back every week….

OK you wanna talk words and verse, your face is distracting

so ugly it bugs me

i heard that mess so sweep it under the rug please

so trust me, you’re only taking matters from bad to worse

the only solution is turn around in reverse

(ohhhhhhhhhhh…..crowd gasps)

• RaiderSam

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

======

Beech if you destroy me in a dream, you better wake me up and apologize….

• The Beeech Dawg

DJ, that little dude is a favorite here at the Penthouse, he has the best roasts

re 2K4S, I’ve been trying to employ KrappyRat to wander on stage in the middle of our performance like an old homeless weirdo and spray him into the 40th row with smelly green slime

the midget is the man to hold the slime hose

Of course first we’d need his credit card # to buy more weed and lap dances

• DJ Johnny

I wonder how much Reggie really had to do with building that GB team?

They were just talking about John Kuhn on NFLN’s “Top 100 of 2011″ and what a stud he is. He was an UDFA.

Wonder if Reggie was the one who helped bring him in.

• Raidernationdave

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 9:42 pm

RaiderDave,

I love when Tom Cruise tells off Col. Jessup at the end. Classic.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I love that scene where Demi and me embrace in a wild, passionate kiss, and then I rip off her blouse and start munchin’ on here huge, juicy……

Sorry I was dreamin’

Beech,

I’d bet that little oompa loompa has alot of coin.

He could say a little rap himself:

“If it please your grace I will shoot gooey slime in this homeless weirdo’s face”.

I love it.

Sorry I was dreamin’

Ha. Didn’t she have short hair in that one or am I thinking of something else?

• The Beeech Dawg

Samborg the Uber Goober

You’ve been licking your wounds all afternoon, spent the whole night working on a comeback rap, and that’s what you return with?

Obviously you’ve never listened to Kool Moe Dee.
    Yo, check it as I slam dunk you with a sweet cross over rhyme into a fade away diss

Mo wizzle to the tizzle, I gots to represent
    For his wack rap, SamBorg the Uber Goober must repent
    You’d have more luck on the corner selling ties
    Or throwing down salt on Jack N the Box curly fries

Sorry little Nerd, but I gotta smoke my stash
    If I dawg you any more you’ll get itchy diaper rash
    Like a funny little puppet, I can always make you dance
    Or dip your hand in warm water until you pee pee in your pants

YO BLOWIN’ SMOKE OFF MY SMOKIN’ GUN

• DJ Johnny

Speaking of Oompa Loompas I used to have it bad for the chick who played Veruca Salt in the Willy Wonka movie.

I was a weird kid. Nothings changed there.

• The Beeech Dawg

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Beech,

I’d bet that little oompa loompa has alot of coin.

He could say a little rap himself:

I love it.

—————————

Yes, I’ll have the Certified Platinum Posse call him tomorrow with a tempting offer

The real trick will be snapping KrappyRat’s hip back into place after his hilarious slime blast in time for the next gig

• papertiger418

Rap Quiz, Beech: who wrote these lyrics?

Stimulant and sedative
    Original repetitive
    Violently competitive
    A school unaccredited

• Raidernationdave

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Ha. Didn’t she have short hair in that one or am I thinking of something else?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

My ex had short hair at the time like Demi – I think it was the style at the time – she was f’ricken hot. She always joked that I liked that ’cause it made her look like a boy!! Hey, whatever works!

Raiderdave,

LMAO.

I have to say though that Demi does NOT look like a boy.

• papertiger418

Short hair can look great on women, but they have to have the right look for it. Even attractive women can’t pull it off if they don’t have the right look, ie: Nicole Kidman in the horror film “Birth”

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo El Tigre, even though all the members of 2 Kewl 4 Skool know that’s MD, any blog Goob can google those lyrics and look edumacated

Brah, you seem like you got some swag, get an application from DJ John for membership in the 2K4S Super Cool Fan Club

All we need is your credit card # and you’ll receive your Kewl Kidz Klub Kard in the mail in 18 – 36 weeks

• papertiger418

Your invitation is greatly appreciated Beech, but I stopped joining fanclubs after NKOTB broke up

• The Beeech Dawg

papertiger418 Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

—————

Well, I think a little jam called D.O.A.L. (Duece of a Lifetime) just might change your mind

Imagine this while we’re all doing scissor kicks and the bass player is doing a legendary solo:

We’re having the duece of a lifetime
    We’re dreaming the impossible dream
    We’re pushing the duece of a lifetime
    This is exactly what our bowels need

• Raidernationdave

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Raiderdave,

LMAO.

I have to say though that Demi does NOT look like a boy.
    ++++++++++++++

I’d lay face down in her dirty bathwater all damn day!!

• Raidernationdave

papertiger418 Says:
    May 6th, 2012 at 10:33 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

NK would be good for a night or two but after a while a man that eats steak every night looks for a hamburger now and then.

• SR Raider

need…new…post…can’t…go…on

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

can we get a new thread please..

• dcraiderfan

Though sad, Junior will be missed. Now for spuds. This team will be in last place in the division with Palmer as the Q?B of the team! So let’s be quite frank. Spuds let this organization down from the start. Like Hue, Spuds will be a goner after this season of failed offers. For Mark, how can this be? Look at the moves after spuds showed up. JC, Rock, and other players left a sinking ship quickly to other teams. For my beloved Raiders to make a 180 to the bottom of the AC west will be there for a long time!