Raiders cut QB, TE

The Raiders cut quarterback Rhett Bomar and tight end Andre Hardy today, the start of the Raiders organized team activities in Alameda.
Bomar didn’t figure to have much of a chance to make the 53-man roster, with veterans Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, as well as second-year player Terrelle Pryor, ahead of him on the depth chart.
As for Hardy, the Raiders were hopeful of his making a successful transition from a basketball player to an NFL player. An injury last month derailed Hardy’s progress.
It’s unclear whether his injury was serious enough to hinder his chances. However, he wasn’t able to work with the rest of the players at the rookie mini camp, at least during the media window.
The media are permtitted access to the OTA session Tuesday. At that time, I intend to interview cornerbacks Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell about their signing with the Raiders and being the potential successors to Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson.

Steve Corkran

• J Hill

What are you talking about, RRS?

What does DHBeast have to do with Lienart?

DHBeast is a starting WR that has overcome the haters.

Are you suggesting that Lienart will prove the haters wrong the same way DHBeast did?

• Dakota

345.RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:25 am
    Amazing that people have already closed the book on Heyward-Bey & MM34, going into Year #4 … but still hold out hope for Matt Leinart with 3 years more NFL experience, dumped by 2 other NFL teams

Heck, 90% of Raider Nation doesn’t think Pryor should even get a shot at playing QB for us. thats just strange to me

+++++++++++++++++

I have not closed the book on DHB. He went from Dog Schyyyyyt to slightly below average last year! I am still holding out hope that he can become an average NFL WR!!!!!!

• Marks hair

The wac & mountain west can be mined for some quality football players.. Reg is turning over every stone.

Matt Leinart is like that 35 year old playboy who finally decides to grow up

***

@ABP

Raider fans are hoping that Leinart is like Rich Gannon, who blossomed at the age of 34 and gave us 4 of the best seasons we’ve EVER had at QB (1999-2002). His last two years here were obviously derailed by injuries.

Leinart just turned 29 last week. so far? he sucks

• Raidernationdave

There have to be standards!!

++++++++

Dakota Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:21 am

How will they ever fill those giant shoes? No one gets burnt like Chris Toast Johnson and no one can grab, hold and interfere and give up TDs like Stanford Routt!

• Marks hair

65 catches is not bad.. If dhb were free he’d have no problem finding a new team.

• Raidernationdave

Uh, no.

++++++++

J Hill Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:25 am

Jamele Hill and Michael Smith used to date, mayne.

DHBeast is a starting WR that has overcome the haters

***

@Jhill

not ALL the haters. I guess you haven’t been reading all the blog comments this offseason, even before his DUI arrest

a bunch of Raider fans already have DHB penciled in as #4 WR behind Moore, Ford & Criner. Still think he can’t catch. Will be avoided late in games. was a scholarship player that Al Davis forced on the field. etc etc

• J Hill

Leinart just turned 29 last week. so far? he sucks

————————————————

Your HC and OC disagree with you.

• J Hill

I didn’t say he converted the haters, RRS.

But he clearly isn’t the guy they say he is coming off the numbers he put up last year.

Your HC and OC disagree with you

***

why?

so far all they’ve said is that he’s competing for the #2 QB job and he knows the offense. thats about it. they say he’s taking his job seriously (like everybody else does) and was brought in to help Palmer & Pryor

a QB that sucks can still handle these tasks..

• Raidernationdave

Mark Sanchez has better skills and ability than Tim Tebow. Jet fan won’t tolerate Tim Tebow going 3-15 for 72 yards with the “hope” of a last second comeback.

• Dakota

I have made a conscious decision to NOT watch any of the Lakers-Thunder series…..I want to be able to root for the Thunder against Miami or Boston in the finals, and I am afraid that if I watch them spank the Lakers bitterness against them will set in.

• Dakota

Anyone figure out why there was a two or three game stretch in the middle of the season where DHB disappeared?

Was it his fault, the coaches, or the QB’s?

If he had been involved in those few games, his numbers might actually have been average to slightly above-average last year!

Mark Sanchez has better skills and ability than Tim Tebow

***

@Dave

Sanchez has 47 starts under his belt
    Tebow only has 14 starts, with a far worse supporting cast!

but Tebow still bested Sanchez head2head last year

• J Hill

———————————————————-

LOL

• Marks hair

I hope tp has a massive improvment in his game this offseason cause liono wont get it done if cp3 misses games.

• Raidernationdave

When do you know you need to leave the beyotch?

When she says, “I’m craving that ‘Chocolate Wonderfall’ again.”

• J Hill

———————————-

Coming out of the bye, Hue went with D Moore and Ford. Would have been the case coming out of camp had it not been for the injuries

• Raidernationdave

The fact remains that Tebow has a skill set that Jet fan will be less patient with than they were with Sanchez.

++++++++++++

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:45 am

@Dave

Sanchez has 47 starts under his belt
    Tebow only has 14 starts, with a far worse supporting cast!

but Tebow still bested Sanchez head2head last year

Was it his fault, the coaches, or the QB’s?

***

@Dakota

I know what you’re talking about.

Weeks 9 & 10 at home against Denver and away at San Diego

active for both games [wasn't injured] started one, came off the bench in one. zero catches

sorry – don’t have an answer to your question

finished the year strong though, 21 catches in his last 3 starts. pretty much the opposite of Mike Bush, who was decent mid-season and then drove off a cliff when we needed a RB to get to the postseason

• Marks hair

364. Are you saying dhbs’ #s were below average for a #1 wr? Because obviously those #s are better than most nfl wrs..

• Dakota

Matt Leinart in his last preseason game and his first half of the one game he started last year was a combined 23-29, 202 yards and 1 TD.

His coach had come out and said Leinart had really developed a work ethic and had shown much improvement in his professionalism.

There is hope for Matt Leinart to be a solid backup QB.

***

LOL @ Dakota!!

what a patchwork comment. sounds like those ones put together by Debo in support of JaFranchise

• hwnrdr

363.Dakota Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:42 am

LOL, I have never watched them yet, I just hope for the best! Last night I looked at the score and started following the A’s game!

• Dakota

372.Marks hair Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:52 am
    ++++++++++++++++++

What else would a #8 overall draft pick and starting WR be?

I think DHB will average somewhere between 4&7 catches per game next season…

4 catches per game is what he averaged last year

7 catches per game is what he averaged over the last 3 starts.

That would put him on pace for 112 grabs on the season and those are the #’s of a #1 WR. If DMo17 is everything we think he’ll be, teams will have to double him. 3 wide with Ford = matchup nightmare. DHB will be solid in YR4

• Marks hair

Preseason stats? Really? Come on..
    I posted weeks ago, that if we miss the playoffs because we didnt sign a solid back up qb.. again… That id be going mini van bowling.. People should worry

• Dakota

369.J Hill Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:50 am

———————————-

+++++++++++

I see….it will be interesting to see who gets the ball when all three are healthy to start the season.

• Marks hair

376. But what you write is dhb is a below av nfl wr..
    If you mean he’s below ave for a #1 say it.. Cause its a huge difference.
    Dhb as a #2 doesnt bother me.. Below av is a total bust..

• guest123

I’d gladly take 4 catches a game from DHB if that was on a consistent basis. Last year, it was either feast or famine. Hopefully Knapp doesn’t play the kind of games with DHB as Hue did.

• J Hill

————————————————-

Outstanding

• R8ER MIKE

GOOD MORNING NATION !!

Draft Grades

Oakland Raiders: C

It’s hard to give an accurate assessment of the Raiders’ efforts due to their limited number of picks, but Reggie McKenzie attempted to fortify the depth on his roster with this initial draft class. Tony Bergstrom is a big, physical road grader with the potential to crack the starting lineup at guard. Miles Burris, Jack Crawford and Juron Criner will fight for playing time as backups, and their speed and athleticism could make them valuable contributors on the Raiders’ kicking units, too.

Best pick: Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah (Round 3, 95).
    As a big, physical blocker with a nasty demeanor, Bergstrom will add toughness to the Raiders’ gritty offensive line. He will vie for a starting spot as a rookie and could be a long-term solution at a perennial problem area for the team.

Questionable pick: Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State (Round 4, 129).
    This is a tough one, considering the Raiders’ lack of picks. Burris faces an uphill battle in grabbing a starting spot, but a role as a core special teamer is certainly not out of the question as a rookie.

Sleeper pick: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona (Round 5, 168).
    Criner took a surprising plunge down the charts, despite a very productive career at Arizona. He is a big, physical pass catcher with sneaky speed and quickness. He could thrive as a No. 3 receiver for the Raiders.

By Bucky Brooks (05/04/12)

***

thoughts ??

• guest123

Outstanding

::::::::

what? less than 7 yards per attempt is outstanding? No.

Nominal veteran journeyman quality I can agree with.

• Dakota

378.Marks hair Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 8:00 am
    Preseason stats? Really? Come on..
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Hey, I said there is hope for him….but if you are looking for a backup QB who can consistently play QB, good luck with that, those guys are difficult to find. Jason Campbell would have been great, but obviously his pride and contract demands stood in the way of staying here, and his balls have obviously ascended because he is now afraid to be a starting NFL QB, or even look for the opportunity to be one.

@G123

Jhill thinks Leinart is playing up to his draft status

I think Sully hacked his acct or something!!

• Marks hair

384. That guy bucky read my mind..

• Dakota

380.Marks hair Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 8:03 am
    376. But what you write is dhb is a below av nfl wr..
    If you mean he’s below ave for a #1 say it.. Cause its a huge difference.
    Dhb as a #2 doesnt bother me.. Below av is a total bust..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++

I see your point.

• guest123

I agree with Bucky Brook’s grade for the Raiders draft, but I disagree with the idea of Tony Bergstrom as a “road grader”, which is a commonly overused description for OL’s. He should be adequate at guard, but he’s not the next Veldheer either. Also, I am in complete disagreement with Brook’s take on Burris, who I think will have an impact early on and be a quality backup this season.

interesting that Bucky called Miles Burris our most “questionable pick” … when most Raider fans seemed to think he was our best pick!!

• hwnrdr

I think Burris will probably crack the starting lineup! I don’t know, just a hunch!

• Dakota

391.RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 8:12 am
    ++++++++++

He looks outstanding on youtube…..but we know how that goes right Michael Mitchell?

I didn’t see much of him covering anyone in that video, and I think he may have issues with that in the NFL….but hey, he is a late 4th rounder…..if he contributes at all, he will be a good addition. (it wouldn’t surprise me to see him moved to MLB and push Slowlando for a job)

• Dakota

new post

-Brooks

***

I hope this is true, because I question whether or not he’ll be able to unseat veteran zbs expert Cooper Carlisle at guard who has only missed 1 start in the last 9 years!!

• Seymour Bush

Draft Grades

Oakland Raiders: C

thoughts ??
    ====================================

It’s pretty easy to see what McKenzie is doing. McKenzie wants versatile guys who love the game. That’s what he got. No longer the HWS specialists who cash their checks and can’t get off the training table. You look at a guy like Jordy Nelson that RM drafted in GB. Guy was not overly fast, just productive and he has been productive at this level.
    I think they did a couple of things in their lst draft, got the type of player they wanted, and then asked Wiz who on his Penn State roster he thought could play at this level. Since Wiz has been around the pro game his entire life, he would have been a good person to ask. And then they went and got those guys.

• Marks hair

I really like burgs and I think he’ll be a starter before any of the others.. He put guys on there backs quite a bit.. he reminds me of logan mankins, who I saw a lot in college.

• J Hill

I’m not sure what a couple of you are thinking, but we are talking about the BACKUP QB position for this upcoming season.

Anything other than Carson Palmer means we are missing the playoffs.

I said IF Lienart plays up to his draft status……….

The whole point is Lienart could possibly pull a Rich Gannon and be a decent noodle armed game manager. And IF he did, that doesn’t mean Pryor is a stiff.

Why cant all 3 of them be good?

• Raidernationdave

Who’s Bucky Brooks and why should I care what he thinks?

“Burris faces an uphill battle in grabbing a starting spot, but a role as a core special teamer is certainly not out of the question as a rookie.”

Seriously, who is Miles Burris’ competition on the Raider LBing corps?

• Raidernationdave

**News Flash**

Most rookies find it “an uphill battle in grabbing a starting spot” on ANY NFL team.

Bucky Brooks = Dumbass