Criner puts on a show at OTA

Practice quick hits, sent for insidebayarea.com . . .
For a day anyway, Juron Criner looked like 2012 version of Denarius Moore.

It was a year ago that Moore , a fifth-round draft pick out of Tennessee , began impressing his Raiders coaches and teammates with his playmaking skills. He carried it on through training camp and an excellent rookie season, catching 33 passes for 618 yards and a team-high five touchdowns.

Criner, the second of two fifth-round picks out of Arizona , came 20 spots later than Moore at 168. He was the standout of a nearly full-squad organized team activity session, catching at least six passes during team sessions _ some of them of the spectacular variety.

“It’s been a learning process for him,’’ coach Dennis Allen said following practice. “I think he every day he gets a little bit better. He’s learning more what to do. I was pleased with the way he practiced today. It’s not a whole lot different than what we saw on tape in college. That’s what we expect of him.’’

The last of Criner’s big plays came on a sideline throw by Terrelle Pryor that carried between 55 and 60 yards in the air, with cornerback Pat Lee the victim.

On a 50-yard heave from Carson Palmer into the end zone, Criner beat the coverage of DeMarcus Van Dyke and safety Tyvon Branch with a tumbling catch that brought hoots and shouts from his teammates.

On a fairly basic route over the middle, Criner somehow stopped himself to reach back and catch a Pryor pass that had been thrown behind him.

– Full speed ahead for Darren McFadden, who participated fully in drills and team sessions without restrictions.

“We want him to be healthy,’’ Allen said. “We want him to be able to stay healthy and we want to do everything we can to keep him that way.’’

– The biggest defensive play came when a Palmer pass bounced off the hands of Rashawn Jackson and then was juggled among several defenders until Aaron Curry held on to it and ran into the end zone for a touchdown.

– The Raiders employed exclusively a four-man line during defensive team sequences, with Allen saying three-man fronts will be added later

“You can’t throw everything at ‘em at one time,’’ Allen said.

– Allen’s style during the first full-team session open to the media was to stay fairly detatched, letting his coaches do the coaching while he often stands off alone as an observer.

“I believe as a head coach, ultimately you’re in charge of the product tha goes out on the field,’’ Allen said. “But part of being the head coach is you want to hire good people. You want to declare your expectations, what you expect out of them and then you want to get out fo the way and let them work.

“That’s kind of my style and that’s what I’ll do but I’m a coach at heart and I’ll get my hands dirty when I need to.’’

– Tight end David Ausberry is noticeably bigger in the upper body as he grows into his position. A converted wide receiver last season, Ausberry made one difficult catch in traffic and appears not to have lost any of the agility that makes him a tough matchup.

Allen said he expected Ausberry to be deployed as a receiving tight end this season but the bulk was necessary for blocking purposes.

— Among those players who were not present included defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who normally does not attend OTA sessions, and middle linebacker Rolando McClain, who is dealing with legal issues relating to the misdemeanor charge of illegal discharge of a firearm in Alabama .

Also not present was safety Mike Mitchell, who Allen said has a knee issue. Kickers Shane Lechler and Sebastian Janikowski also were not in Alameda .

Among those players who were present but not practicing were center Stefen Wisniewski, who had shoulder procedure following the season, Allen said, and right guard Mike Brisiel, who has a minor hamstring strain.

Alex Parsons played with the first team at center in Wisniewski’s absence, with Zach Hurd getting some reps at right guard with Cooper Carlisle moving to the left side.

Travis Goethel got most of the first-team snaps at middle linebacker in place of McClain, with Curry moving inside during one sequence.

– Rookie undrafted free agent wide receiver Thomas Mayo, who was having a difficult practice holding on to the ball, left drills and was limping.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Thec

Should be mandatory that ALL RAIDERS attend the gates before games…

147.Method To My Madness Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:07 pm
    Paradise…come thruto the tailgate….its going down that night becuz game starts at 7pm so the gates will open like at 1pm!

And we will be toasted by 2! :)
    Ok, maybe not, but I know in year’s past I was!

• ottocrat

Travis Goethel is better than RoSuckdo McDack.

• Method To My Madness

Paradise…..well Raider Dell said that same thing to me when we met last week…I’m hard on dline cuz I feel they are main culprit for d woes….but I think curry will do well at SLB/ROLB

151.Thec Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    Should be mandatory that ALL RAIDERS attend the gates before games…

AMEN!

• Thec

Stan Routt said something on twitter about being a part of Chiefs nation!!

+++++++++++

WTF is a “chefs nation”…Is routt on meds????

• lefty12

So Marks Hair,if a receiver gets BEHIND 2 DBs the QB shouldn’t try and hit him-ridiculous!That isn’t throwing into double coverage.That is called beating double coverage.

• Method To My Madness

Hwnrdr….party hardy from Friday to Sunday…on Monday you might find me in drunk tank!

• hwnrdr

Thec, Routt should now be on meds after making that statement!

• raiderinparadise

hwnrdr Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:05 pm
    Hey Paradise…are you gonna tailgate prior to the game?

————–

Not sure just yet … I get to enter stadium 3 hrs prior to game in the suite … goign with my girl, her first time to an NFL game so I’m sure we will walk around the lot to see the crazyness ….. taking the BART to the game from SF

158.Method To My Madness Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

You rolling through with the clear?

• Method To My Madness

Lefty the OG…gives no one a rest not even the B@uce lol….gotta love it

• raiderinparadise

the only game I will be at will be the MNF opener … and I will only come back for a playoff game during rest of season.

• HairyBush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 12:53 pm
    Wang is big!!
    —————–
    who’s Wang is big? You sick fk! lol
    Wang has to have at least 1 good game this season so Berman can come up with a nickname for him.

• hwnrdr

Paradise, as time gets closer…remind me, i’ll shoot you an email! Have a few before going in…and it won’t be the same if you don’t! Believe me, you’ll probably kick yourself!

• hwnrdr

Or I;ll send you my email…that’s what I meant to say :)

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Palmer is on the flip side. We can’t tone him down from thinking he can convert EVERY 3rd and 13 by riffling a ball into a tiny window.

He needs to to downshift on occasion. Our biggest obstacle to overcome this year offensively, because no doubt this is a top 5 offense as far as yardage will go.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree Vegas.

• raiderinparadise

I will be walking around the gates …. But its just me and my girl going so we don’t have like a home-base to kick it. Prob just a flask and a backpack of beers and take pictures.

• Method To My Madness

Woooo the Clear? May have do that night…my local liquor store fa sho got it….may drop the suit on y’all too….my suit report is on point

168.raiderinparadise Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

There you go! Also, you can bring up some local goodies :) LOL

• lefty12

B-just trying to keep it real!!!

169.Method To My Madness Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Do it!!! :)

• Thec

Method To My Madness Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    Lefty the OG…gives no one a rest not even the B@uce lol….gotta love it

+++++++++

Left is one of a few soldiers standing on this blog during game time when all the neg nells are jumping off the bridge…

• Method To My Madness

Wow paradise…her first time? Great bring her on!

• raiderinparadise

HA, yeah thinking I will bring some local kine snacks to handout everywhere we go as tips and gifts.

Have my custom kukui nut lei thats black and silver painted.

• lefty12

Just remember be she is the guy’s girl friend-hands off.LOL

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lefty12 Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:00 pm
    #104-don’t make sh!t up,O.It said Criner beat Branch and DVD and made a great catch.It didn’t say CP threw into double coverage.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Relax old man. I don’t make things up. That’s exactly what cork said on twitter:
    “Juror Criner with unbelievable catch of Carson Palmer pass in double coverage. Turned sure pick into touchdown.
    10:54am – 15 May 12″
    Learn to gather the facts before you accuse people. That’s ignorant!

• hwnrdr

Have my custom kukui nut lei thats black and silver painted.

LOL, I have may of the straight black ones still sitting in a Tamura’s grocery bag in my closet!

• raiderinparadise

yupppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!! But the HOF Suite isn’t what I wanted … I wanted 50 yardline or blackhole, but baby steps right?

• lefty12

That should read B,not be

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

What’s up with bitter old people in this blog? They can’t debate without insulting people.

• raiderinparadise

hwnrdr Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    Have my custom kukui nut lei thats black and silver painted.

——————-

Love Tamura’s poke.
    Yeah This anty has a stand at the NEX and makes custom ones, he husband a diehard raider so she has planty of the black&Silver leis.

• HairyBush

Method To My Madness Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:10 pm
    —————————-
    Method, If you get to crazy I can always call lamonte Winston to help set you straight lol

• hwnrdr

Hey O, I’m insulted by the bitter old thingy…LOL!
    Just kidding, bro!

• hwnrdr

Hey Tamura’s poke’ is the best!

• lefty12

O,read the above article.It says Criner beat the coverage.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr,

You Old People are sensitive.
    LOL

• hwnrdr

Schefter is calling Criner a logical choice to match up with deep threat Denarius Moore!

• priesttj

Thec07 Don’t take no hits about Pryor man, he’s the truth…………..period

• raiderinparadise

I kinda had to go with the HOF suite cuz I have a deposit down to reserve our seats. HOF suite seats go on sale a month before regualar seating. That way I am locked in for the game and can plan the rest. Supposivley Otto, Madden and Willie Brown and those guys come thru and sign whatever you bring and take pictures too. Pretty sick.

• HairyBush

hwnrdr Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    ————–
    It’s way to early to make a statement like that imo

• lefty12

The last thing we need is Schefter’s advise.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lefty,

Who are you going to believe? Jerry or Steve?

• Thec

priesttj Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    Thec07 Don’t take no hits about Pryor man, he’s the truth…………..period

++++++++++

You got it Bruh…

• lefty12

I’ll take ‘Jer’s’ word any day!

• raiderinparadise

Criner – 5th round
    Moore – 5th round
    Ford – 4th round?
    Murphy – 4th round
    DHB – No. 7 overall, 1st round
    The rest in spot to make the roster, all undrafted.

Nice values, I must say. DHB better lay off the sauce tho.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Steve was there.

• HairyBush

Judges advice to Darrius:

D.on’t
    H.ave
    B.acardi

and drive

• R8ER MIKE

Raider O Says:
    May 15th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

******************************************
    lol .. not all us old folks are bitter.. some of us are high as a kite !!!

198.HairyBush Says: