Raiders add veteran fullback

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 at 12:03 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders concluded a busy day Tuesday by signing veteran fullback Owen Schmitt.
Schmitt, 27, spent the past two seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles after a two-year stint with the Seattle Seahawks. He appeared in 61 games during his first four NFL seasons.
Schmitt, 6-feet-2 and 245 pounds, is a punishing blocker, especially in the run game. The Raiders currently have Marcel Reece and Manase Tonga at fullback on their roster.
However, it’s conceivable that Schmitt could force out Tonga at some point, given he has more experience.

• R8ER MIKE

Raider O Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    ODB,

Next time I visit Ohio, I will try to come see you and the compound, but I’m not watching the Golden Girls with you. LOL

**************
    damn skippy you wont !! thats my private time !!!
    lol lol lol lol

Hwnrdr,

Can you live more inland, or do you need to be around the ocean? I like Mediterranean climate, so SD (depends where you live) and CA is perfect for me.

• R8ER MIKE

and you are correct Hwnrdr, both D.C. and Philly are close enough to drive to.

• DMAC

I lived in Oakland, Oakland, and Oakland.

RR,

LOL
    I like trucks, I used to hunt, I love guns, and I don’t like uninvited people on my property.
    The Podunk Farms Project! lol

• hwnrdr

O, I think I can adapt if needed, but being around the scenerey of the ocean all of my life, I can’t see living in the Mid West!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Did Burris participate in the OTAs yesterday? I didn’t hear/ read anything about him.

• hwnrdr

399.guest123 Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    I’ve lived in all 4 time zones

Cool! So Hawaiian, Pacific, Mountain, and Eastern?

For Palmer to justify Oakland giving up a first-round pick in 2012 and a second-rounder in 2013, he has to do more than lead the Raiders to the playoffs. He has to win postseason games and a good number of them. Some might say Palmer would have to guide Oakland to the Super Bowl to validate what the Raiders gave up for him.

***

@DMN

I would love to have Palmer lead us to a SB victory, as any Raider fan would. Is that a realistic expectation based upon our record the past 9 years? especially with a brand spanking new GM, HC & DC? I don’t think so. I’ll be pleased if we make the playoffs this year & next. 2014 we can hopefully make that leap. It’ll take Reggie a while to form “his team” , purging the dead weight, acquiring talent, developing players and getting the cap in order. Looking at the QB play we’ve had since Rich Gannon, I’ll gladly make that trade to Cincy again. You can’t win without a QB. Plus the Raiders haven’t hit on many 1st rounders in the past anyways.

Hwnrdr,

People (in general) are more down to earth, friendly, polite, and no Fakers. Hard working and honest people.
    Go Buckeyes!

• hwnrdr

LOL, O, you had to throw that in, huh? Like I said, I could adapt if needed…I have family that live in Ohio. They got mad at me when I asked them if they were Bengals fans! But I know they are OSU fans as well! I also have a frined in Dayton! Pretty hot Asian living in the midwest I say!

• DJ Johnny

Don,

I’d like to hear more analysis of the Cutler deal as compared to Palmer.

TWO 1st. rounders, a 3rd AND a bonafide starter in Kyle Orton.

How many SB’s has Cutler won with the Bears so far?

Palmer has played half a season so far. Maybe he should be given a little more rope and see how it plays out over a period of time.

• DJ Johnny

Merrill Hoge is the 1st analyst i’ve heard predict the Raiders to win the west.

Maybe they will, maybe not, but a case can certainly be made.

Lol, I’m hater Bro.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I don’t think the two trades are similar, and that’s why people don’t talk about Cutler.
    Cutler was 26 (in his prime), and Palmer was 32, retired, and his team moved forward with a new and capable QB.

• hwnrdr

LOL, they also cursed me on FB when I posted about Michigan beating OSU…or when the Raiders beat the Browns last year!

• bcz24

412.DJ Johnny Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    Don,

I’d like to hear more analysis of the Cutler deal as compared to Palmer.

TWO 1st. rounders, a 3rd AND a bonafide starter in Kyle Orton.

How many SB’s has Cutler won with the Bears so far?

**************
    Nice response.

Why would you do that?
    Damn you Mich!!!!!

• http://insidetheoaklandraiders bbq before the game

Ritchie’s ba-aack!!!

• hwnrdr

418.Raider O Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:42 am
    Why would you do that?
    Damn you Mich!!!!!

Just to mess with them…or pay them back! LOL

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

HEY HWNRDR,DID NOT GET TIX 4 A’S YANKS..IS THERE STIL A CHANCE U WILL GO? I MAY BUY IF SO..

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I don’t like the Browns’ draft. I like the RB, but I’m not sold on the 27/28 YO Rookie QB. The Browns are Ohio’s pro football team. The team can leave the citu/ state, but The Browns belong to Ohio.

• hwnrdr

421.DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:44 am

I still might…what day? Sunday, or Saturday? I have a feeling that Sunday I have already pre-planned stuff to do! When do you think the tickets will sell out?

• hwnrdr

That is true, O! That is why it is always fun to watch the Browns/Ravens games!

City*

How do you make wolverine Cookies? You put them in a bowl and beat them for 3 hours!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

THATS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND..ANOTHER WEEKEND WOULD BE BETTER 4 ME.GRADUATION PARTY’S 2 ATTEND THAT WEEKKEND..

• hwnrdr

LOL, O…I know you say that to Bo all the time. He is more of a fan of Mich then I am. I started liking them in the 80′s and really when C Wood was there. When he won the Heisman, I was hoping for Al to draft him. Anyways, I still follow them and always pray they have a good year, but will not get mad if they don’t! But for some reason, I do get upset when friggen Mich St wins!

• hwnrdr

426.DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    May 16th, 2012 at 11:48 am

I know…when does Manny come back? I heard he’s going to the Minors for 10 days?

• DutchRaider77

____________________________________________________

Do you remember the Snickers’ commercial right after the Browns moved to Balitmore? Two dudes on the fifty yard line with an empty stadium and one friend asks the other friend how he got the tickets?

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo Nizzles

Got up nice and early today (10 mins ago) and got right to work on a serious PUMP UP jam for tonight’s Lake Show game vs The Drizzle

Check it -

Man, that last game was wack, The Beeech couldn’t bear it
    Why is Perkin’s dome shaped like a carrot?
    Are Westbrook and Durant gay, you got to wonder
    Either way we gots to “Make the Thunder Blunder”*

*patent pending, you know how we do

• DMAC

Manny is elgible to come back May 30

Dutch,

No, remind me please. The only snickers’ commercial I remember is from a SB. The guy gets hit, goes the SL, and now he thinks he is Batman. lol

• DMAC

DHB regrets drunk-driving arrest

Speaking to the media for the first time since his drunk-driving arrest, Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey expressed remorse and regretted letting down his fans.

“I just kind of regret bringing bad attention to the team, for the most part. Want to let the fans know that I’m here, working hard, trying to get on the same page with Carson and looking forward to the season.”
    ==========

If I had a million bucks to spend, I would bet that DHB never makes the same mistake again ever.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I wanted us to draft Woodson too. Imagine of he went to the OSU. Him on Defense and David Boston on offense.

• Dan78

Lake Show needs to show up tonight
    Cant go fishing with Golden State Flubs

• DutchRaider77

Dutch,

______________________________________________________

In 1996, Snickers rolled out is “Not Going Anywhere for a While?” campaign including a spot featuring two bewildered football fans gazing out from their seats at an empty stadium. As the camera panned to the end zone, viewers see “Cleveland Browns” painted in orange and brown on the grass. Browns owner Art Modell, of course, had just relocated the team to Baltimore in one of the bitterest sports controversies in recent history. As it turned out, those Snickers-eating Browns fans would have four years on their hands.

• DMAC

Raiders in a 3-4? Kelly would accept NT

ALAMEDA — Stories of the Raiders switching things up defensively and moving to a 3-4 base have been floating since Dennis Allen was hired as head coach in January.
    So when Allen intimated recently that veteran defensive tackle Tommy Kelly could be the nose tackle in such a scheme, such a possibility raised eyebrows. None more than on Kelly himself.
    “If he sees (me being) a 3-4 nose, I ain’t trying to get that big,” Kelly said following the Raiders’ OTA practice on Tuesday. “I ain’t trying to gain all that weight. I’ve done went through that, being 340, 350 pounds. That really ain’t my cup of tea. I ain’t trying to gain all that weight.”
    Two years ago, Kelly dropped upwards of 35 pounds and the weight loss, along with the 2009 arrival of Richard Seymour, hastened Kelly’s maturation. And while Seymour has been named to the past two Pro Bowls, many observers feel as though Kelly, who is now listed at 6-foot-6, 300 pounds, has actually outplayed his defensive line mate. Kelly has 14 1/2 sacks the past two seasons combined, with an interception and fumble recovery last year.
    In fact, both players have the same number of sacks — 15 1/2 — since Seymour arrived in Oakland.
    Kelly has played for almost as many head coaches in Oakland since catching on as an undrafted free agent out of Mississippi State in 2004 in Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, Tom Cable, Hue Jackson and now, Allen.
    It’s a new era with the passing last October of Al Davis and a new general manager in Reggie McKenzie.
    “It’s different,” Kelly said. “Al D. was almost hands on with everything. He was very involved with every decision and now it’s a chain of command. Coach Allen, I think will be good for us to have a defensive head coach. He’s going to pay attention to us and he’s going to make sure defense is almost the first priority.
    “Our offense is pretty much set. We (are the) side of the ball that probably needs the most work.”
    Which brings us full circle to the possibility of Kelly lining up at nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme.
    “It ain’t about what I think,” he said, backing off a but from his initial semi-protest. “It’s whatever they pay me to do at the time. I will do it to the best of my ability. I played nose when (Warren) Sapp was here. It ain’t nothing. When you play defensive tackle, ain’t really no difference between the nose and the three-technique. You both getting double-teamed. (Shoot), we’re getting the same blocks so it really don’t matter.”
    Still, many players blanch at the idea of moving to nose.
    “Because they probably ain’t that physical, mentally,” Kelly said. “You know what I am saying? To play D-tackle, you have to be a little crazy, because you’re going to get hit. It’s different than playing outside where you might get a little air and have some freedom to do something. You don’t got no freedom when you’re inside. You’re always going to get hit. Somebody’s going to hit you from the right side, or from the left side, or down the middle. Every play.
    “So you really have to have your mind frame right and tell yourself that you have to put your body on everything moving. As long as you have the mentality, you’ll be all right.”
    Now Kelly was rolling. Asked if he was a good crazy or bad crazy, Kelly smiled.
    “Good crazy,” he said. “Crazy like a fox.”
    Fair enough, so who’s bad crazy?
    “Ron Artest,” Kelly said of the Los Angeles Lakers’ Metta World Peace. “I ain’t trying to kill nobody, but I am definitely trying to make my presence felt out there.”
    Especially if he has to play a little nose tackle.

Dutch,

LOL
    I like their commercials.

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo Bros, huge day for my hot new boy band, 2 Kewl 4 Skool

The Certified Platinum Posse flew in Yamasuki, a legendary hairdressing guru from Japan, to style our pubes using the latest techniques from The Orient

When he’s done we’ll do some pube press photos and send them off to the major magazines and news outlets around the globe

This will assure us some huge dates on our world tour. Now all my super group needs is some actual music, wizzle

***

Kelly doesn’t want to be a 3-4 NT, eh?

sounds like Albert Haynesworth!

• HGDaddy

Vittorio Tafur ‏ @VittorioTafur
    Video of Rolando McClain incident surfaces http://bit.ly/L7itj6

• JLofty

Nice post DMac…as usual.

• DMAC

RaiderWabbit

He also said “It ain’t about what I think,” he said, backing off a but from his initial semi-protest. “It’s whatever they pay me to do at the time. I will do it to the best of my ability.”

• DMAC

Anytime man

“It’s whatever they pay me to do at the time. I will do it to the best of my ability. I played nose when (Warren) Sapp was here. It ain’t nothing. When you play defensive tackle, ain’t really no difference between the nose and the three-technique. You both getting double-teamed. (Shoot), we’re getting the same blocks so it really don’t matter.” – TK

***

no difference between 4-3 UT & NT, eh?

ROG may have something to say about this!

• JLofty

So Beetch, how do the Lackers respond from a 30 point drubbing by OKC? Rather if you are going to be that dominated and humiliated, what exactly is the strategy to come back with?

no matter what happens tonight, if the Lakers fall to 0-2 in the series … you can bet on Brown & Bryant calling out somebody

either Blake & Sessions, or Bynum & Gasol.

Heck, maybe all 4 of them!!

Lakers aren’t a team. they like to throw people under the bus & point fingers, which spreads dysfunction & animosity like wildfire

• hwnrdr

Are there any OTAs today?

@hippie

I don’t like Kelly’s attitude, saying “I don’t want to play nose … but I’ll do it as long as they are paying me”

sounds like a check casher to me. doesn’t sound like a guy who will lose any sleep if a team runs for 150+ against us.

• peaceacake

the vids of the McClain incident leak out, wow…