1,350

Judge: McClain guilty on all counts; sentenced to 180 days in jail

Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain was found guilty Thursday of assault, reckless endangerment, menacing and wrongful discharge of a firearm by a Decatur (Ala.) Municipal Court judge, the television station WHNT-19 reported.

McClain was sentenced to 180 days in jail. It’s unclear how much of that time he actually will serve in jail. He was released on bond and will appeal the ruling, according to his lawyer.

The Raiders issued the following statement, in a press release:

“The Raiders are well aware of the proceedings in the Alabama courts today. The team will continue to closely monitor the legal process, understanding that when appropriate the NFL will review the situation under its personal conduct policy.”

Earlier in the day, Jaradious Williams, the co-defendant along with McClain in the case, pleaded guilty to 90 days in jail and approximately $300 in fines and testified against McClain.

McClain can appeal the verdict to a Circuit Court, which would include a jury trial.

McClain’s lawyer, Harvey Steinberg said of the ruling, “This is meaningless. We get a jury trial. Most lawyers say, ‘Let’s stipulate and start all over.’ I wanted to put this on so we could show how ridiculous this entire situation is. It truly is. There’s no basis for it.

“Our feeling was that we should go through it so we could put out there that Rolando did very little, if anything, wrong. He certainly didn’t do anything criminal. He ceertainly didn’t do anything wrong. This was the only procedure we had to follow other than doing the stipulation so we could get a trial to a jury. By doing it this way, we wanted to put out there the fact that this is a case we would humbly suggest is much ado about nothing.”

The conviction stems from an incident Nov. 30, with the victim, Rishard Tapscott, the victim of an alleged assault. Tapscott said McClain threatened to kill him and put a gun next to his ear and fired it.

McClain was in Alabama at the time attending the funeral of a relative.

He could also face discipline from the NFL and the Raiders for violation of the league’s personal conduct policy.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• R8ER MIKE

Am I a redneck because I cut my own hair with dog clippers.?
    thank Gawd that I am southern Maryland redneck and not a
    SOPHISTICATED d!ck head fck like you Sully

• Hot Shot

A drunk phoned police to report that thieves had been in his car.

“They’ve stolen the dashboard, the steering wheel, the brake pedal, even the accelerator!” he cried out.

However, before the police investigation could start, the phone rang a second time with the same voice came over the line.

“Never mind,” he said with a hiccup, “I got in the back seat by mistake.”

• alzadoX

if in California or most other states and alleged to have committed the crimes McClain has been “convicted” of, McClain would have faced (at least one) felony charge probably multiple felony charges. But in Alabama, while charged with misdemeanors, he is considered a “convict” after a trial by a judge who says evidence of someone telling 911 that he doesn’t know who fired a gun convinced judge McClain fired the gun.

And based on this “conviction” Goodell/NFL may take disciplinary action on McClain before McClain has his constitutional right to a jury trial? Can Goodell/NFL take disciplinary action after just an arrest? I guess Big Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t even charged but was disciplined, but I believed that was based on specific conduct against NFL personal conduct policy. (?)

Need clarification on NFL disciplinary policy as it applies to this case

Not to say that a jury trial will be more fair, it’s entirely possible that a jury will let him off or hang because he’s a hometown football hero even if evidence is against him. But Romac still has a right to a jury trial before facing jail time, under US Constitution, as I understand it, only instance where someone is supposed to not have right to jury is if maximum penalty cannot include jail/prison time

• Plunketthead

I took “import” to mean the ones we “imported” after WWII

It still does not make sense. The war was pretty much over by the time we dropped nukes.
    Germany had surrendered and Japan was not operating anywhere but home.

• Hot Shot

A man walks into a bar and says to the bartender, “I bet you fifty dollars that I can bite my right eye.” The bartender says, “Yeah, right! I’ve never seen anyone do that!” So the man takes out his glass eye and bites it.

The angry bartender pays the man his fifty dollars and the man walks away. He comes back half an hour later and says, “I bet you fifty dollars I can bite my left eye.” Now the bartender becomes really skeptical. She says, “I just saw you walk in here — you can’t be blind!” So he takes out his fake teeth and bites his left eye. The bartender pays him his money and he walks away.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Raidersblog speculated earlier today that Reggie’s probably calling the league offices, asking for the likely length of McClain’s suspension so he can plan for it.

• RaiderLen

R8ER MIKE Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 5:40 pm
    Am I a redneck because I cut my own hair with dog clippers.?
    thank Gawd that I am southern Maryland redneck and not a
    SOPHISTICATED d!ck head fck like you Sully
    —————————————
    Mike, You’re not Socially sophisticated.

You must go to a hair salon and pay money to have your hair cut.

It’s your duty as a public servant to be “sophisticated” as opposed to self reliant.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Seymour Bush,

Almost 20% of Germans are immigrants.

According to Wiki, In 2008 18.4% of Germans of any age group and 30% of German children had at least one parent born abroad. Median age for Germans with at least one parent born abroad was 33.8 years, while that for Germans, who had two parents born in Germany was 44.6 years.[24]

• RaiderLen

Plunketthead Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    I took “import” to mean the ones we “imported” after WWII

Germany had surrendered and Japan was not operating anywhere but home.
    ————————
    Plunketthead,

Sorry for not being more precise.

Project “Paper Clip” DID take place after WWII was decided.

Those German Scientists, including Van Braughn, were responsible for our space program.

Einstein, I believe, fled Germany as hostilities escalated, and helped the US develope the Bomb.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Long Live ODB.

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

Plunketthead Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    I took “import” to mean the ones we “imported” after WWII

Germany had surrendered and Japan was not operating anywhere but home.

=============================================

The best intel Truman had speculated that an invasion of Japan (“X Day”) would have resulted in between 100,000 and ONE MILLION allied casualties. I saw a BBC special on Hiroshima where they interviewed Japanese doctors who had been trained to strap on explosives and throw themselves under tanks. Students were trained in how to use sharpened bamboo poles against our men. Dropping the two atomic bombs prevented an even bigger catastrophe.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

If you are not paying $20+ for a haircut, then you are not sophisticated.
    If you drink beer, you are not sophisticated.
    If you drive a truck, you are not sophisticated.

If you want to have a 3some with your cousin and aunt, you are Sophisticated.
    If you like to argue for attention, you are sophisticated.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Man I was scared when I first read KoolKell’s post, than I realized it meant ALL minoriites together equal just more than 50% of new babies.
    —————————————
    Hehehe. I’ll remember that! Lol.

• RaiderLen

RaiderDuck Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 5:48 pm
    ——————————–
    Due diligence.

• R8ER MIKE

To quote the movie Strips. Were all mutts.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m not a mutt. I’m a purebred!
    You mutts are not sophisticated enough to understand that.

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    I’m not a mutt. I’m a purebred!
    You mutts are not sophisticated enough to understand that.
    ————————————–
    Raider O,

Wasn’t your native land overrun throughout History?

If so, there might be a few “discrepancies” in that DNA. lol

• Just Fire Baby

And where was that great bomb made??

New Mexico!!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

This is what is great about the MLB baseball package. Hear Verlander is throwing a no-no, and get to flip it over for some great action.

Dude is throwing 99mph in the 8th innning. Just insane.

Top 10 most dominant athlete in ANY sport right now.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

lol
    Yes, but my ancestors were special.
    No Romans
    No Egyptians
    No Turks
    No English and French
    No Arabs

LMFAO O!!!
    at least we know the Green Party is well rounded!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purebred Palestinians?!
    I can’t say that with a straight face. LOL

I’m a Mutt!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

LOL ODB.
    People here are crazy. They judge/ discriminate against people based on color/race and ethnicity. That’s wrong and ignorant.
    If you are going to hate and discriminate, then you need valid reasons like faith/ religion, land, history, property, etc… lol
    You People have much to learn.

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 6:16 pm
    Purebred Palestinians?!
    I can’t say that with a straight face. LOL

I’m a Mutt!
    ———————————-
    Mutts are smart!

• Just Fire Baby

Here we go Verlander, 3 more outs to go.

I never thought someone would give Nolan Ryan a run for his 7 no hitters but this guy may to do it.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Len,

And they usually live longer due to good health unless the are married.

Mutts are loyal.

• RaiderLen

Raider O Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    Len,

And they usually live longer due to good health unless the are married.
    ——————————–
    LOL

I’m a Mutt, but I’m married…I guess I’m half screwed. lol

• R8ER MIKE

Don’t understand why some of YOU PEOPLE have a problem with mutts!!!

• RaiderLen

R8ER MIKE Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    Mutts are loyal.
    ——————————
    Haha,

Once you’ve won a mutt over, you have a friend for life. lol

• Just Fire Baby

DAMNIT!!!!

Great AB from that Pirate guy broke it up.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

LMAO Len.

• R8ER MIKE

lol…I am a ODB redneck mutt!!!!
    LIVIN LARGE!!!
    ok it 2xl!! yeah I am a fat bastard too!

• Just Fire Baby

2 XL ain’t even big anymore the ways these kids wear there shirts so tight these days.

XL’s are like a shmedium for me now, and I am your typical average size dude.

Whoops forgot I’m a hippie too!! Lol lol

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB = Green Party Member!

Long Live The ODB.

• R8ER MIKE

Battle of the beltways all tied up JFB.

• Just Fire Baby

I’m on it, Harper is up next.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Later Gents.
    Green Party Rules!
    Long Live The ODB!

• J Hill

I just don’t get why some people always seems to root against our 1st rd picks. Its not always the same people each year, but be it McFadden, DHB, or now McClain. How does it help the team if our first rd picks aren’t even on the team?

• Breaking_Black

Method To My Madness Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

MR…you are having me die laughing today

Beecher and Dumbkota and any other LA hack…..damn the money…that isn’t a Raider town….too many transplants….Take your rams or chargers back….end of story

You guys are disrespectful to all the legends and all the other ppl who helped build this thing….after 83 season it went to schit in LA. You guys really act like Oakland is Oklahoma….people will come here no doubt. I dunno why you guys think everyone wants LA. Not all like that sort of life…..you guys like to steal and not earn. LA has shown they don’t deserve a team

———

Lol, why does everybody refer to LA as “you guys”. The people of LA CANNOT STEAL AN NFL TEAM FROM ANYBODY. IF THAT WAS POSSIBLE WE WOULD HAVE TOOK THE RAIDERS AWAY FROM OAKLAND ALREADY.

We don’t “like to steal”. We just love football and want to have a team here.

And to Sullivan, you keep repeating crap about every team moving to LA. Every organization hasn’t sucked for the past decade and had trouble selling out the games in which they have an awesome team like The Raiders PLAYING ON A BASEBALL FIELD. The reason teams end up on a list of possible teams to move is because of problems getting a new stadium. And that’s why LA lost their teams. Because nobody stepped up to build a new NFL stadium. The people of Oakland and St. Louis didn’t take The Raiders and Rams. LA lost them. And now the same thing may happen to Oakland if someone doesn’t step up and give The Raiders what they deserve.

O peace out my GREEN PARTY brother

• J Hill

Where are the foil hats?????

You mean to tell me you wont be screaming Raider bias if Goodell even thinks about suspending a RAIDER before a jury renders a verdict?

BB well said sir.

• Hardline

Alabama Rules of Criminal Procedure

Rule 18. Trial by jury; waiver; selection and preparation of petit jurors.

Rule 18.1. Trial by jury.
    (a) RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY. Defendants in all criminal cases shall have the
    right to be tried by a jury. In cases triable in the first instance in district or
    municipal courts, the defendant shall have the right to trial by jury only on
    demand upon appeal to the circuit court for trial de novo as provided in Rule 31.1.

30.1. Upon conviction in municipal or district court,
    the defendant shall be
    advised of the right to appeal for trial de novo and to demand a jury trial.

Under this rule, the defendant cannot avoid being tried in the district or
    municipal court and cannot go directly to the circuit court for trial by jury in the
    first instance other than by simply not contesting the issue and appealing the
    result. Of course, in most instances the defendant will want both chances at an
    acquittal and would not elect to remove his case if he could.

Alabama Rules of Criminal Procedure

Rule 30. Appeals from municipal and district courts.

Rule 30.1. Right to appeal.

(a) TRIAL DE NOVO. A defendant convicted of an offense in a municipal
    court or a district court shall have the right to appeal the judgment, within
    fourteen (14) days of the date of the judgment or the denial of a timely filed postjudgment
    motion, to the circuit court for a trial de novo.

• R8ER MIKE

JHill yes we all will. Why? because we are all Raider fans and it matters to us.
    We are all passionate about our team. He!! I have my right arm tattooed from my elbow to over my shoulder

• http://www.addictedtoquack.com RaiderDuck

New post.

* with the Raider shield

• alzadoX

Hardline Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Alabama Rules of Criminal Procedure

Rule 18. Trial by jury; waiver; selection and preparation of petit jurors.

Rule 18.1. Trial by jury.
    (a) RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY. Defendants in all criminal cases shall have the
    municipal courts, the defendant shall have the right to trial by jury only on

****

thanks for info Hardline

• Pingback: thanh lap cong ty