1,687

Ausberry settling into TE role

Second-year player David Ausberry showed up this year packing on more weight, feeling more like a tight end and ready to compete for the vacancy created by the release of veteran Kevin Boss earlier this offseason.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp admits that there’s work to be done before he and the other coaches can feel confident about what they have at the tight end position.
However, Knapp and others are confident that Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon are talented enough to step into heightened roles, with Ausberry the leading candidate to assume the starting role.
Here’s what Ausberry, a converted wide receiver, had to say during a recent interview following an offseason practice:

How you feeling out there?
Everything feels great. With the new offense, we’’re making a lot of progress everyday.

Do you feel like you are now really a tight end?
It certainly feels like it, with all the weights we’re doing and the playbook, it makes you feel like a real tight end.

Did you feel like that last year, or was it a transition year?
I guess you could look at it both ways. I was doing a lot of the same things last year, but now it’s pretty much hand in dirt. There’s also a lot of formations where I am split out wide and all that, but now it’’s more about being a real tight end. It feels pretty good.

How much weight have you put on?
265 right now. Last year, I was about 250. … at the beginning of the year I was about 245 coming in.

You feel like you have lost any speed?
I don’’t feel like I lost anything but that just comes with a lot of technique – you got to know your opponent and be able to separate from people, and that’’s what I am trying to do.

Was it easy putting weight on?
It wasn’’t that hard if you’’re lifting a lot. That’’s pretty much what happened. Playing weight, I will probably be down to 258. I am trying to get more muscle in the upper body and trying to stay fit.

Carson Palmer has said nice things about you. Must feel nice to have the quarterback in your corner …
It feels great. A vet like Carson, you always want a guy like that in your corner. It helps when you have some sort of relationship with the starting quarterback. You start to feel each other on the field and it helps a lot. I am just blessed to be in this position.

It seem wide open for you? As far as grabbing a starting job?
Yeah, that’s what I am trying to do. If I get a chance to get out there, I will get it.

What things have you gotten better at since last year?
Recognizing defensive fronts. Coming from the outside back to the interior, you have to be aware of what’s going on in front of you now.
You’re not reading too many safeties now.

Carson said seeing Terrell Owens push himself in offseason workouts (in LA) was good for the young guys. You agree, get a lot out of that?
Yeah, it is good. Somenbody like that, T.O. is a great player and to be in his presence and work out with him, it was great. He was passing on a lot of tips to us young guys

Steve Corkran

• Raidernationdave

onsidering I’ve done it?

+++++

jesusraiderjim Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:56 am

Anyone care that the “Adulterer” won in epic fashion yesterday?

• TxRaider210

1650.guest123 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:38 pm
    Secondary isn’t deep enough to cut DVD. If anything, the new reggime is going to give him every opportunity to solidify a spot as starting nickel corner.

—————
    If he does get beat for the spot, who would you see winning it? Pat Lee possibly..

• Raidernationdave

Maybe one long shot but not two IMO.

I say Streater has the best though.

******

guest123 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

4 of the 6 WR spots are locks….
    ***************
    Moore
    DHB
    Ford
    Criner
    ****************

The other 2 I like are

Streater and Calhoun

• Raidernationdave

Another dark horse to consider is Derek Carrier. May come off the practice squad at some point.

• bcz24

guest123 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    Lefty, I will say this. It’s been awhile since Ford flashed his ballhawking skills on the field. Injuries derailed last season, but he’ll need to show some of those skills again if he wants more PT.
    ***********
    The play he got injured on against SD was him going to get a ball he probably had no business catching.

• TxRaider210

1654.Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

—————
    Agreed, isn’t he the tallest WR we have also at 6’4?

• bcz24

1644.lefty12 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    DHB was a top 10 WR in the league last year.Not by total receptions but in categories like yards per catch,least drops per attempt,etc.
    *******
    DHB was literally top 10 in ZERO categories last year… 36th in receptions, 20th in yards, 63rd yards per catch (DMo17 was 18th), 25th in yards per game, 51st longest reception (DMo17 had the 17th longest) and 63rd in TDs. NFL.com doesn’t list drop percentage so I can neither confirm or deny that stat

• Raidernationdave

#1656

This is why I say things really are going to depend on what type of offense GK is going to employ. The Texans had some big dudes playing catch with Matt Schaub.

• lefty12

We all agree we should put the best players in the proper positions to help the team.Is anyone even close to Ford in ability to be a top flight return man?He could do both PR and KR.If he does it is possible his receiving opportunities could be less if for no other reason than to lessen the beating he will take.

• TxRaider210

@1658 Yea Schaub did have some big targets. I’d like to see a couple WR’s 6’2 or taller on the team, long as they have hands.

• lefty12

Bcz,at the end of last year someone pointed out that when everything was added together and taken into consideration,DHB was a top 10 WR.I was going by that.I can’t remember who wrote it.

• Raidernationdave

Me too. Ford adds another dimension in the slot because with his speed if the safety bites on play action he can get open in a hurry.

++++

guest123 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am thinking Ford is a lot more than a speedster who can play football. He’s a football player who happens to be a speedster. I’m bullish on a Ford rebound year. jmo.

• lefty12

Bcz-maybe it was just drops or drops per attempt.

• TxRaider210

1660.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    @1658 Yea Schaub did have some big targets. I’d like to see a couple WR’s 6′2 or taller on the team, long as they have hands.

———
    To correct myself, we have plenty of guys listed at 6’2 or better, but how many are really that tall? Some roster postings tend to give guys a little extra size.lol

• Raidernationdave

Dudes with size, hands, and the ability to separate I think is the prototype NFL receiver these days. Speed is not necessarily the most important aspect of the position any more. The Raiders appear to be heading in that direction from what I see.

• TxRaider210

@1665 Sure seems that way, but hey that’s good if RM is aiming to build a receiving corps like the pack has.

• bcz24

1659.lefty12 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    ********
    Ford has never returned a punt. Not the same skill set as KoR. Not saying he ‘cant’ return punts, Im just saying we don’t really know anything about his ability
    in that area. His skills as a KoR are greatly diminished with the new kicking rules, since most kicks are out of the endzone

Did GB have any smerfs playing WR?

***

@Lefty

yes – Randall Cobb, who doubles as a return man

• bcz24

1661.lefty12 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 1:18 pm
    *****
    I just posted his rankings. He certainly isnt a top 10 receiver based on those. Someone was pouring on the KoolAid a bit thick I think. Even if he was #1 in the league in drops per attempt, averaged with the rest of his #1s that still would but him around 30th-40th ranked in the NFL

Cobb is 5’10″ 192 lbs. 64th overall draft pick in 2011

4.37 forty

• bcz24

Best WR in the history of the game is unarguably Jerry Rice. He ran a 4.71 at the combine. Speed NEVER has been the most important factor to a receiver.

Ford is 5’9″ 185 lbs. 108th overall draft pick in 2010

4.28 forty

doubles as a kick returner

• bcz24

Speed in out of your breaks, and your ability to run routes with the exact timing are far and away the most important traits (well of course after being able to catch, which should be a given for a WR).

@Bcz

Al Davis always thought you could teach a guy how to play football, but you couldn’t teach him how to outrun a cheetah

That puts a big burden on the coaching staff imo

with coaches, often times you get what you pay for.

pay coaches peanuts, then tell them what to do & undermine them. Give them the most raw players in the league and tell’em to produce right away

Poor Sanjay.

• lefty12

Who would you try returning punts before Ford was given the opportunity?Thanks,Rock,that is what I can see for Ford.I’m not saying that will happen,but it is an option I believe should be explored.

• Raidernationdave

BSPN put Fred Jackson of the Buffalo Turds on their America’s Top 5 list ahead of MoJo Drew.

Ummmm, OK I guess. Not!

• lefty12

Bcz,BTW,I believe Ford did return punts in college so it’s not like he has never done it.

• HGDaddy

OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS
    Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reece (@CelReece45) has signed his exclusive-rights tender.

• DJ Johnny

1678.HGDaddy Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 1:52 pm
    OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS

Bout freaking time.

• DJ Johnny

I love Cork (at least i feel it’s in my best interest to say that)but this is not the place to find all that late breaking Raider news we all so desire.

That’s fine. It’s a blog not a newspaper….well…wait a sec.

• DJ Johnny

My Official Statement:

“I love this blog. I appreciate the opportunity it enables me to engage in conversation with fellow fans and at no cost out of pocket”.

“It’s wonderful vehicle for football fans in general, and Raider fans in particular.”

-DJ J.

• Raidernationdave

DJ J stop a88 kissing! Brown-noser!

• DJ Johnny

Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reece has signed his exclusive-rights tender, the team announced Monday. The veteran participated in the Raiders’ Organized Team Activities (OTAs) with his teammates on Monday.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Reece has played in 30 career games with 16 starts since joining the Silver and Black as an undrafted free agent in 2008. His career totals include 54 receptions for 654 yards and five touchdowns, and 47 carries for 234 yards and one touchdown.

• DJ Johnny

1682.Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    DJ J stop a88 kissing! Brown-noser!

I was trying to be funny…apparently I failed in my efforts.

new post

• Raidernationdave

I thought you were being funny!

++++

DJ Johnny Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

1682.Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    DJ J stop a88 kissing! Brown-noser!

I was trying to be funny…apparently I failed in my efforts.

• Pingback: מצברים