1,687

Ausberry settling into TE role

Second-year player David Ausberry showed up this year packing on more weight, feeling more like a tight end and ready to compete for the vacancy created by the release of veteran Kevin Boss earlier this offseason.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp admits that there’s work to be done before he and the other coaches can feel confident about what they have at the tight end position.
However, Knapp and others are confident that Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon are talented enough to step into heightened roles, with Ausberry the leading candidate to assume the starting role.
Here’s what Ausberry, a converted wide receiver, had to say during a recent interview following an offseason practice:

How you feeling out there?
Everything feels great. With the new offense, we’’re making a lot of progress everyday.

Do you feel like you are now really a tight end?
It certainly feels like it, with all the weights we’re doing and the playbook, it makes you feel like a real tight end.

Did you feel like that last year, or was it a transition year?
I guess you could look at it both ways. I was doing a lot of the same things last year, but now it’s pretty much hand in dirt. There’s also a lot of formations where I am split out wide and all that, but now it’’s more about being a real tight end. It feels pretty good.

How much weight have you put on?
265 right now. Last year, I was about 250. … at the beginning of the year I was about 245 coming in.

You feel like you have lost any speed?
I don’’t feel like I lost anything but that just comes with a lot of technique – you got to know your opponent and be able to separate from people, and that’’s what I am trying to do.

Was it easy putting weight on?
It wasn’’t that hard if you’’re lifting a lot. That’’s pretty much what happened. Playing weight, I will probably be down to 258. I am trying to get more muscle in the upper body and trying to stay fit.

Carson Palmer has said nice things about you. Must feel nice to have the quarterback in your corner …
It feels great. A vet like Carson, you always want a guy like that in your corner. It helps when you have some sort of relationship with the starting quarterback. You start to feel each other on the field and it helps a lot. I am just blessed to be in this position.

It seem wide open for you? As far as grabbing a starting job?
Yeah, that’s what I am trying to do. If I get a chance to get out there, I will get it.

What things have you gotten better at since last year?
Recognizing defensive fronts. Coming from the outside back to the interior, you have to be aware of what’s going on in front of you now.
You’re not reading too many safeties now.

Carson said seeing Terrell Owens push himself in offseason workouts (in LA) was good for the young guys. You agree, get a lot out of that?
Yeah, it is good. Somenbody like that, T.O. is a great player and to be in his presence and work out with him, it was great. He was passing on a lot of tips to us young guys

Steve Corkran

I don’t see Calhoun or Carrier making the team over Murphy & McGee…

if any WR latches on, I think it’ll be Streater

• hwnrdr

LOL, same thing!

• TxRaider210

1500.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am
    W/ the addition of Schmitt, I don’t see the Tonganater making the squad.

———————-
    Agreed, Tonga should be history. Sure wish Reece would get on the field and worry about the money later..

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:31 am

1500.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am
    W/ the addition of Schmitt, I don’t see the Tonganater making the squad.

———————-
    ==========

I think Reece just in time for mandatory OTA’s.

• TxRaider210

1501.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am
    I don’t see Calhoun or Carrier making the team over Murphy & McGee…

if any WR latches on, I think it’ll be Streater

————————
    Don’t know how I forgot about McGee, he should be a lock too imo

Kobe Bryant = Tom Brady

Two punk b!tches w/ game!

W/ the addition of Schmitt, I don’t see the Tonganater making the squad

***

pretty sad that Tonga may be axed, before he gets a shot to start in the zbs. Thats the nature of this business though.

Schmitt knows Knapp’s offense. Has worked with him before [in Seattle} and alongside Justin Griffith. beastly run blocker. We’ll see what happens with Reece. I think they could do a sign & trade. perhaps just rescind his tender offer, making him a free agent. If that happens, we could start Tonga on the PUP list and use Richard Gordon as #2FB until he’s 100% at midseason and eligible to return

• hwnrdr

DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Kobe Bryant = Tom Brady

Two punk b!tches w/ game!

LOL~

• TxRaider210

1504.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:32 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:31 am

1500.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:29 am
    W/ the addition of Schmitt, I don’t see the Tonganater making the squad.

———————-
    ==========

I think Reece just in time for mandatory OTA’s.

———————

I sure hope so, dude is explosive when he gets rollin

hwnrdr Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:34 am

DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Kobe Bryant = Tom Brady

Two punk b!tches w/ game!

LOL~
    ========

Don’t like either of them, but it’s the truth.

• TxRaider210

Who do you guys see getting cut from our draft selections, if anyone?

LOL, same thing!

***

alright, Hwnrdr

Kobe Bryant = Mark Schlereth

• hwnrdr

I kow, DMAC…I was laughing at the two punk bi*ches part!

• DMAC

DMAC will be taking Schmitt to dinner a whole lot this season. He finally gets a true blocker.

• hwnrdr

LOL, And a Bronco reference as well!

Who do you guys see getting cut from our draft selections, if anyone?

***

@Tx

one of the dudes from Penn State [Crawford or Stupar]

hwnrdr Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:36 am

I kow, DMAC…I was laughing at the two punk bi*ches part!
    ========

I know Hwnrdr.

• TxRaider210

1514.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:37 am

———————-

I’m looking forward to seeing Bergstrom and Schmitt pancaking guys and DMAC hopping over them and off to the races!

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Who do you guys see getting cut from our draft selections, if anyone?
    ==========

Stupar

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:39 am

1514.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:37 am

———————-

===========

If DMAC can stay healthy.
    Watch out!

I’m looking forward to seeing Bergstrom and Schmitt pancaking guys

***

Raiders running game = “Schmittsberg”

???

• TxRaider210

1516.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:38 am
    Who do you guys see getting cut from our draft selections, if anyone?

***

@Tx

one of the dudes from Penn State [Crawford or Stupar]

——————-

I have a feeling it may be Bilukidi, simply because he played against weaker competition than Crawford in college. I’ll go with Stupar or Bilukidi

• DMAC

Whats the word on Bilikudi or whatever his name is? Has he been participating in OTA’s?

• HairyBush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:19 am
    I stand by my statement the Heat are the Buffalo Bills of the NBA. Make the finals/ superbowl and then faceplant

***

@HB

I think the Mavs would have beat any team from the East last year. Same might be said of Thunder/Spurs

Heat didn’t have a big man last year. Still don’t!

Turiaf, Anthony & Pittman? Really?

Chalmers runs hot & cold. Norris isn’t ready for the bigs

pretty impressive the Heat even made it this far with Bosh out imo

DWade had a rough game 3 against the Pacers & Celtics, probably will next series too
    ———————-
    I’m not saying there are not reasons (excuses) the Heat won’t win an NBA chamionship but what team isn’t thin in at least 1 area? The Heat are really good but I look at the important stats that will keep them from winning the big one. One example would be Chrystler Lebaron and D. Wade are a combined 0-7 when it comes to game winning shots under 25 seconds left in the game. They just aren’t clutch like Pierce, Kobe, Most of the Spurs and a handful of others. For the next 5 years the Heat will be on the brink of a title but the phrase so close yet so far will be used often.

• hwnrdr

Last night Kirk Morrison tweeted with a pic of Michael Jordan with a caption of “you didn’t take the last shot, but I did!”
    OUCH! Captain Kirk a C’s fan?

• TxRaider210

@1521 I like it! Hopefully those guys can squash a few tacklers that would otherwise hit DMAC in the lower legs, since they know they’re about to get trucked.

• HairyBush

DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:37 am
    —————
    And after he runs for a 62 yard TD he will be talking a lot of “schmitt” Wooooooooooo!

I’m here all day folks lol

• TxRaider210

Instead of being the bull-dozer, I want DMAC just to jump over all the casualties that Scmittberg create.lol

• HairyBush

This looks like it could be another 2000 post thread until Steve breaks it up with a live chat update.

• hwnrdr

In LBJ’s defense last night though, he was tripple teamed and barely got that pass off…

@hwnrdr

Michael Jordan = big sh0es to fill, no?

• TxRaider210

1523.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

———————
    I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him in the photo galleries on the site. I could be wrong, but it looks like Crawford is in better shape..

RRS

Your boy Cpt. Kirk’s a Celtic fan.

Puke!!!!!!!

• hwnrdr

Not sure if he is, being from Oakland and all…
    And yes, MJ’s shoes are very hard to fill!

anybody seen Raider O, my sand honkey [Kentucky] brother from another mother??

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:48 am

1523.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

———————
    =========

Don’t forget Velgheer also came from a small Div II school and has played pretty well. I see the same for Bilikiudi. Dude has a fk’n motor running on high octane.

Sorry
    I meant Veldheer

Your boy Cpt. Kirk’s a Celtic fan.

Puke!!!!!!!

***

@DMAC

I don’t care. he was better at MLB than Rolando World Peace.

could have saved ourselves a Top 10 pick and $40 million !!

• Raidernationdave

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:25 am

@1492 My guess would be Moore, Ford, DHB, Criner, Murph and Streater.
    ++++++++++

I’m thinking the only question mark here might be Murph and possibly, possibly Streaterski.

• HairyBush

NFL will start hiring, training replacement officials this month
    ——————————————–
    this should be interesting

• TxRaider210

1536.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:53 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:48 am

1523.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

———————
    =========

————————-

Yea very true, he does seem to never give up on the play. I think his team played our cities newest team, the UTSA Roadrunners last year. If I’m not mistaken, he was chasing the poor QB all over the place.lol

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:56 am

1536.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:53 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:48 am

1523.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

———————
    =========

————————-

==========

May not see the field much this season, but I see a bright future w/ this young kid.

I think Murphy is a lock is he can ever get healthy and loses the tendency to go “alligator arms” while crossing the middle of the field

if you want a guy to run down bombs though, Murph is your guy

Palmer said this offense is designed to run well and set up the big passing plays. Said we’re gonna throw it over your heads. OTA’s featured a taste of that

• Raidernationdave

If DMC stubs his toe getting out of the shower he’s done for the year.

++++++++++++++++++++

DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:40 am

If DMAC can stay healthy.
    Watch out!

• TxRaider210

1539.Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:54 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:25 am

@1492 My guess would be Moore, Ford, DHB, Criner, Murph and Streater.
    ++++++++++

—————

Do you think if Murph get the axe, the Jets try to reunite him with Teblow since they played well in college together?

• guest123

1543.

Murph is another guy who drives Raider fans nuts with his inconsistency. He doesn’t do enough to warrant playing time from more consistent receivers. He’s a liability and a wasted roster spot.

kicking Murph to the curb alongside MM34.

• Raidernationdave

I asked my Magic 8 Ball if DMC makes 16 games this year and it laughed at me….out loud!

• Just Fire Baby

I say Crawford is the one getting cut from our draft picks.

Doesn’t excel in anything, but loafing around at times.

Doesn’t seem inspired enough either, to carve a niche as a ST player.

• DMAC

I really think DMAC gives us at least 13 games this season.

• guest123

DMAC is about to have a career year this year. Mark it down. Ya heard here first!