Ausberry settling into TE role

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 3:28 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Second-year player David Ausberry showed up this year packing on more weight, feeling more like a tight end and ready to compete for the vacancy created by the release of veteran Kevin Boss earlier this offseason.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp admits that there’s work to be done before he and the other coaches can feel confident about what they have at the tight end position.
However, Knapp and others are confident that Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon are talented enough to step into heightened roles, with Ausberry the leading candidate to assume the starting role.
Here’s what Ausberry, a converted wide receiver, had to say during a recent interview following an offseason practice:

How you feeling out there?
Everything feels great. With the new offense, we’’re making a lot of progress everyday.

Do you feel like you are now really a tight end?
It certainly feels like it, with all the weights we’re doing and the playbook, it makes you feel like a real tight end.

Did you feel like that last year, or was it a transition year?
I guess you could look at it both ways. I was doing a lot of the same things last year, but now it’s pretty much hand in dirt. There’s also a lot of formations where I am split out wide and all that, but now it’’s more about being a real tight end. It feels pretty good.

How much weight have you put on?
265 right now. Last year, I was about 250. … at the beginning of the year I was about 245 coming in.

You feel like you have lost any speed?
I don’’t feel like I lost anything but that just comes with a lot of technique – you got to know your opponent and be able to separate from people, and that’’s what I am trying to do.

Was it easy putting weight on?
It wasn’’t that hard if you’’re lifting a lot. That’’s pretty much what happened. Playing weight, I will probably be down to 258. I am trying to get more muscle in the upper body and trying to stay fit.

Carson Palmer has said nice things about you. Must feel nice to have the quarterback in your corner …
It feels great. A vet like Carson, you always want a guy like that in your corner. It helps when you have some sort of relationship with the starting quarterback. You start to feel each other on the field and it helps a lot. I am just blessed to be in this position.

It seem wide open for you? As far as grabbing a starting job?
Yeah, that’s what I am trying to do. If I get a chance to get out there, I will get it.

What things have you gotten better at since last year?
Recognizing defensive fronts. Coming from the outside back to the interior, you have to be aware of what’s going on in front of you now.
You’re not reading too many safeties now.

Carson said seeing Terrell Owens push himself in offseason workouts (in LA) was good for the young guys. You agree, get a lot out of that?
Yeah, it is good. Somenbody like that, T.O. is a great player and to be in his presence and work out with him, it was great. He was passing on a lot of tips to us young guys

Condo says he’ll play some fullback if Reece doesn’t pull his head out and get to OTA’s !!

• DMAC

kicking Murph to the curb alongside MM34.
    ========

Hope I’m wrong later, but thats how I feel 2 right now.

1543.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:58 am
    I think Murphy is a lock is he can ever get healthy and loses the tendency to go “alligator arms” while crossing the middle of the field

if you want a guy to run down bombs though, Murph is your guy

Palmer said this offense is designed to run well and set up the big passing plays. Said we’re gonna throw it over your heads. OTA’s featured a taste of that

——————————–

I like Murph because he’s not afraid to take on the big blocks. Can never forget when he blocked like 3 defenders so Zach Miller could make it to the endzone years ago. Or the Pitt game when he and Grads lit it up in the 4th

• hwnrdr

Oh boy…BSJ? Thoughts?

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:01 am

• Raidernationdave

The Jets ain’t shy in inviting folks to the circus.

++++++++

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:59 am

Do you think if Murph get the axe, the Jets try to reunite him with Teblow since they played well in college together?

@JFB

Jack Crawford is british.

thats basis enough to tell him “kick rocks” imo

• jesusraiderjim

HairyBush Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 9:20 am
    I just got the girl with the dragon tatoo from netflix, hopefully will watch tomorrow. I heard good things. Anyone see it?

I have both versions of that movie and both (French and American) are good…although I like the original trilogy (French) better.

————————
    I also like the foriegn version better. I suggest reading the trilogy before watching the movies IMO it is easier to follow.

• hwnrdr

Da da dadda dadda Afro Circus, polka dot polka dot polka dot afro!

• Just Fire Baby

Lou Murph will stick and be productive this season.

Plus he is willing to cover punts and kicks like he did last year. You aren’t getting that with Jacoby or Criner.

• DMAC

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:03 am

The Jets ain’t shy in inviting folks to the circus.

++++++++

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:59 am

=========

I can see it happening. If they’re smart they’ll have their back-up to China Doll already.

I’m I the only guy in here who has seen the movie THERE BE DRAGONS ??

1552.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:02 am
    kicking Murph to the curb alongside MM34.
    ========

Hope I’m wrong later, but thats how I feel 2 right now.

———-

If we do cut MM34, who do you see replacing him? I like Mitchell’s tackling ability, but not his instincts so much..

If we do cut MM34, who do you see replacing him?

***

Curtis Taylor is filling in for him as #2 SS in OTA’s

picked off Leinart the other day, final play of practice

• DMAC

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’m I the only guy in here who has seen the movie THERE BE DRAGONS ??
    =======

Maybe just you and Cpt. Kirk
    lol

1560.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am
    Raidernationdave Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:03 am

The Jets ain’t shy in inviting folks to the circus.

++++++++

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 10:59 am

=========

—————

No Kidding, Murph may be the only guy talented enough to go up and get the ducks Timmy throws. We know Chaz only has a few more weeks of health I’d guess lol

• DMAC

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

1552.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:02 am
    kicking Murph to the curb alongside MM34.
    ========

Hope I’m wrong later, but thats how I feel 2 right now.

———-

========

Henry or Taylor

• Raidernationdave

If Louis Murphy shows up and can show he can be a consistent receiver in every game situation within the Raiders offense the dude will have a job in 2012. I’d like to see it.

If the brain trust get a sniff of any inconsistency he’s done.

1563.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:07 am
    If we do cut MM34, who do you see replacing him?

***

Curtis Taylor is filling in for him as #2 SS in OTA’s

picked off Leinart the other day, final play of practice

————–

I wouldn’t mind a vet like Taylor replacing him, at least he’s familiar with some guys on the roster like Spencer, and how they play.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good day nation.

Go Meltics!!
    LOL @ “I don’t foul out”

Maybe just you and Cpt. Kirk

***

LOL, hey

Morrison might like THERE BE DRAGONS !!

I did

you people might too :P

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:09 am

Good day nation.

Go Meltics!!
    LOL @ “I don’t foul out”
    =========

What up Vice Prez?
    We don’t foul out we get smoked out!

• TxRaider210

@1567 Agreed, Murph better have his game face on with all this youth coming for his job.

• DMAC

I do love Murph’s intensity on the field. Likes to talk schit and get into w/ opposing players.

• Raidernationdave

wHO MAKES IT OUT OF THIS LIST FELLAS?

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore, Juron Criner, Eddie McGee, Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy, Duke Calhoun, Derek Carrier

• Just Fire Baby

Murphy’s 5 40+ yard catches are the most on the roster, and he also has one rushing.

He is our big-play guy, especially when Ford is injured from non-contact plays fairly frequently.

• DMAC

How many WR’s are usually kept?
    5-6?

• Raidernationdave

Caps lock

• TxRaider210

@1574 Darrius Heyward-Bey, Denarius Moore, Juron Criner, Eddie McGee, Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy. I dropped Streater for McGee

• TxRaider210

Just got a job offer with my company to move from Tx to San Diego. One problem, they want to give me Tx pay!hahaha

• Just Fire Baby

AT least Lou Murphy, and JLH for that matter, got hurt getting plowed going over the middle.

Guys like Taiwan and Bruce Campbell, DVD, MM34, even D-Mac sometimes, get hurt in fkn practice.

1573.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:13 am

—————–

He get’s under the DB’s skin, much like Hines Ward and his trash talk. That’s why I’d like to keep him one more season.

• Just Fire Baby

Can you keep the Texas tax rate? Because between that, gas prices, cost to register your car, etc, will represent probably a 10-15% deduction of income.

• Just Fire Baby

You can add Goethel to that list as well.

Ninny

1580.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:18 am

——————-

Good point, those slot receivers have more fortitude than most.

• HairyBush

Murphy has to stick so I can wear my converted R. Moss Jersey and tell everyone it’s Murphy!

Everytime I buy a jersey the player finds a new team!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC,

Damn right! lol
    Had a good weekend.
    Smoke, spend time with family, and repeat!
    How was your weekend?

• Raidernationdave

You’re right. Jacoby Ford can be a bit fragile at times too.

+++++

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:13 am

1582.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:20 am

—————

Lol. Doesn’t seem that my company wants to account for higher living costs or pay for the move. Least I have 4 months to figure something out.

• DMAC

Everytime I buy a jersey the player finds a new team!
    ==========

Did you buy your Boyd jersey?

• HairyBush

DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Everytime I buy a jersey the player finds a new team!
    ==========

Did you buy your Boyd jersey?
    ——————
    lol

1589.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Everytime I buy a jersey the player finds a new team!
    ==========

Did you buy your Boyd jersey?

———–

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:23 am

DMAC,

Damn right! lol
    Had a good weekend.
    Smoke, spend time with family, and repeat!
    How was your weekend?
    ==========

Had a nice weekend 2.
    Chucky e Cheese w/ the fam on Friday.
    Kicked it w/ the homies on Saturday.
    Went to Great America (theme park) on Sunday.
    And……..
    smoked plenty of trees!

1591.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    1589.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Everytime I buy a jersey the player finds a new team!
    ==========

Did you buy your Boyd jersey?

———–

LMAO

• Raidernationdave

If the Raiders are looking for possessions in the WR corp and not just the old tried and true Raider way, The Vertical Game, then Murphy may be looking for work. Ford stays just because of his return skills.

• Raidernationdave

If the Raiders are looking to getting away from “stretching the field” and going to a more conventional approach of separation and back shoulder catches then a guy with size has an edge over a dude with quicks.

• DMAC

2 bad McGee has been a little nicked up. Seem to be having some chemistry w/ CP3.
    Could be a big target in the red zone.

• bcz24

******
    At least when DMac got hurt in practice is was from cleaning Groves clock with a viscious block!

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

hey TxRaider210, 210, s.a. area code right?
    are you silver an black through and through like me?

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION!

SPURS BABY!

• JLofty

New post for weekly chat from Becker in 3,2,1….

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DHB
    Moore
    Ford
    Criner
    LM
    ? I think it will be McGee or Steeter.