1,687

Ausberry settling into TE role

Second-year player David Ausberry showed up this year packing on more weight, feeling more like a tight end and ready to compete for the vacancy created by the release of veteran Kevin Boss earlier this offseason.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp admits that there’s work to be done before he and the other coaches can feel confident about what they have at the tight end position.
However, Knapp and others are confident that Ausberry, Brandon Myers and Richard Gordon are talented enough to step into heightened roles, with Ausberry the leading candidate to assume the starting role.
Here’s what Ausberry, a converted wide receiver, had to say during a recent interview following an offseason practice:

How you feeling out there?
Everything feels great. With the new offense, we’’re making a lot of progress everyday.

Do you feel like you are now really a tight end?
It certainly feels like it, with all the weights we’re doing and the playbook, it makes you feel like a real tight end.

Did you feel like that last year, or was it a transition year?
I guess you could look at it both ways. I was doing a lot of the same things last year, but now it’s pretty much hand in dirt. There’s also a lot of formations where I am split out wide and all that, but now it’’s more about being a real tight end. It feels pretty good.

How much weight have you put on?
265 right now. Last year, I was about 250. … at the beginning of the year I was about 245 coming in.

You feel like you have lost any speed?
I don’’t feel like I lost anything but that just comes with a lot of technique – you got to know your opponent and be able to separate from people, and that’’s what I am trying to do.

Was it easy putting weight on?
It wasn’’t that hard if you’’re lifting a lot. That’’s pretty much what happened. Playing weight, I will probably be down to 258. I am trying to get more muscle in the upper body and trying to stay fit.

Carson Palmer has said nice things about you. Must feel nice to have the quarterback in your corner …
It feels great. A vet like Carson, you always want a guy like that in your corner. It helps when you have some sort of relationship with the starting quarterback. You start to feel each other on the field and it helps a lot. I am just blessed to be in this position.

It seem wide open for you? As far as grabbing a starting job?
Yeah, that’s what I am trying to do. If I get a chance to get out there, I will get it.

What things have you gotten better at since last year?
Recognizing defensive fronts. Coming from the outside back to the interior, you have to be aware of what’s going on in front of you now.
You’re not reading too many safeties now.

Carson said seeing Terrell Owens push himself in offseason workouts (in LA) was good for the young guys. You agree, get a lot out of that?
Yeah, it is good. Somenbody like that, T.O. is a great player and to be in his presence and work out with him, it was great. He was passing on a lot of tips to us young guys

Steve Corkran

• DMAC

SouthTexasRaider Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:37 am

hey TxRaider210, 210, s.a. area code right?
    are you silver an black through and through like me?

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION!

SPURS BABY!
    ==========

Super Sonics!

• HairyBush

Random blast from the past: TE Andrew Glover

• HairyBush

If C’s don’t make it I’ve always liked the spurs.
    Real men wear black!

• r8eray

Philip Rivers = Lebron James

Now think about it….

Cry’s and whines about never winning…

Punk b!tch you would love to slap the chit outta of…

He will never win a ring…

Good for stats and that’s it…he’ll never be great!

• Raidernationdave

Somehow I see a similar offense that Rich Gannon had developing in Oaktown under CP3. Lots of dinks and dunks, slants, roll outs and fades. Lots of stuff underneath and in the flats.

That wheel route with Reese is simply sick. DMC is Charlie Garner revisited.

• Raidernationdave

Got give it up for that. Good point.

+++++

bcz24 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:37 am

Guys like Taiwan and Bruce Campbell, DVD, MM34, even D-Mac sometimes, get hurt in fkn practice.
    ******
    At least when DMac got hurt in practice is was from cleaning Groves clock with a viscious block!

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

no DMAC, Spurs my man….the colors…….the colors
    lol

• TxRaider210

1598.SouthTexasRaider Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:37 am
    hey TxRaider210, 210, s.a. area code right?
    are you silver an black through and through like me?

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION!

SPURS BABY!

——————–

Yessir! Silver n Black all the way! I went to game 1 last Sunday, Spurs need to stop the turnovers and they may make it out alive.lol

• TxRaider210

1607.SouthTexasRaider Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:43 am
    no DMAC, Spurs my man….the colors…….the colors
    lol

———-
    What area of South TX you live man?

• TxRaider210

Last Saturday I meant

• TxRaider210

1610.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:47 am
    Last Saturday I meant

——————-

Tells you how out of it I am..it was Sunday lol

• mcthompso

Nice seeing Spurs fans in here as well. When I was a little kid, I thought professional sports worked like college and high school. That pro teams had a football team, bball team, etc. So when i was like 5, I thought the Spurs were the Raiders basketball team, so I became a fan. Still am.

• TxRaider210

1612.mcthompso Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:49 am

—————–
    lol I haven’t kept up much with the Spurs, other than the game I went to. I’ve been so hyped about what reggie has going on with the Raiders, I haven’t watched much basketball.

• jesusraiderjim

1599.JLofty Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:37 am
    New post for weekly chat from Becker in 3,2,1….

————
    Made me look LOL

• The Beeech Dawg

SILVER & BLACK ON ICE REPRESENT

Yo, setting up the Reggae Party Boat for an off the hook Kings Victory cruise tonight

Got 42 stripper rsvps and at least 10 MiLFs from the Ritz pool. Going to pack two boxes of Magnums in my fanny pack but I’ll probably be at least 9 short, wizzle

Yo, shout out to my boy J Quick, holding down that net. When we win the Cup, he’ll no doubt be at my after party Jammy Jam busting flannel PJs

Gonna need at least a pound of Santa Cruz stanky for that event, holla

THE BEEECH DAWGS CUP RUNNETH OVER

• jesusraiderjim

Anyone care that the “Adulterer” won in epic fashion yesterday?

• TxRaider210

Ryan Tannehill’s wifey to pose for Maxim! OOOOWWWW!lol

Philip Rivers = Lebron James

***

yawn, must have read my post from earlier comparing Rivers to Kobe

James just won the MVP.

made it to the Finals and lost. right now LeBron = Rich Gannon

• lefty12

Why do many consider McGee a semi-lock to stick?He was on the practice squad all of last year so the team should have some idea about him.Yet we went out and signed a whole slew of new guys.

Anyone care that the “Adulterer” won in epic fashion yesterday?

***

please be more specific, JRJ.

you just described half of Raider Nation

• TxRaider210

1619.lefty12 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:59 am

—————-
    I think McGee stays if he and CP3 show that chemistry, but if he gets dinged up he’s gone.

Yet we went out and signed a whole slew of new guys.

***

@Lefty

every team does this. Look at the Packers. They have 5 locks and 6 or 7 other guys fighting for the last spot on the 53 man roster or practice squad

Raiders have DHB, Moore, Ford, Murphy & Criner

then McGee, Streater, Calhoun, etc fighting for the 6th WR job or practice squad. I think people assumed McGee because he has a year of NFL experience, worked with Carson Palmer during the offseason and has good size [red zone target]

• DMAC

=========

Thanx RRS
    I didn’t feel like typing that out.

• lefty12

JFB,you mean Levin and Sabatinni folded like wet newspapers?

• DMAC

Rookie DT Christo Bilukidi

“It’s tough, but you have to take it one day at a time. Make sure I get all my plays down, study every day, get all my fundamentals because that’s the number one thing right now. The plays aren’t too hard, it’s just my fundamentals that I need to break down and do everything I need to do to be successful.”

Bilukidi also commented about the difference between the OTAs, which include the full team and veteran players, and the rookie mini-camp, which only had rookie players:

“It’s a lot different because it’s faster, these guys know exactly what to do because they’ve been doing this same system for some time and they know each other.”

• jesusraiderjim

I was speaking about “Tiger” but I now see the error of my ways.

• guest123

4 of the 6 WR spots are locks….
    ***************
    Moore
    DHB
    Ford
    Criner
    ****************

The other 2 I like are

Streater and Calhoun

• The Beeech Dawg

Anyone check out KrappyRat and his new boy toy LeftNut get worked over by the PM Party Patrol this weekend?

Man, that was pretty sweet, the Certified Platinum Posse were busting up so hard they kept spitting milk out of their noses

This week is going to be sweet in the blog for the PMPP, comin’ atcha in FULL EFFECT

• DMAC

Rookie OL Dan Knapp:

“I have a lot of work to do, I have to get in this playbook a little more, but I’m starting to pick up things, starting to get used to the system and looking forward to the future.”
    =========

Who the hell is Dan Knapp?
    Greg’s nephew?

• DMAC

Rookie WR Rod Streater

Streater also commented about being able to watch and learn, while the veteran players practices and played: “I get to sit back a little bit and have mental reps, see the vets go, so it’s been a good learning process.” He also commented about the off-field responsibilities, including weight training and actually studying and learning the plays and playbook: “I’m going to try to get better in the weight room and learn the plays and take that time to get better with the playbooks and learn everything.”

• guest123

I think the future is Moore and Criner with Ford in the slot and DHB will be on the outside looking in. I just don’t think he is ever going to be as good a receiver as the others are. Gotta love his motivation though. He plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. But DHB is a relic of the old regime.

• DMAC

DHB = stud

• lefty12

1624 was to you,Jesus,not JFB.Sorry for the error.

• Silverandblack666

What Tiger Woods does in regards to his sex life is his own business he never broke any laws.

Your just jealous that he got some prime ass, let it go it only makes you look pathetic trying to roast a guy that got a ton of fine ass.

The guy is a rock star!

• TxRaider210

1632.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:12 pm
    DHB = stud

———
    Agreed, and he’s a “football” guy like RM likes.

• jesusraiderjim

Yeah but it was still good to see him win for a change. the chip in 0n 16 and the birdie on 18 were pretty good shots IMO

• lefty12

123-I couldn’t disagree more.It wouldn’t surprise me if Ford loses playing time to Criner while he(Ford) becomes mainly our PR and KR.

• DMAC

But I won’t play favorites. I want guys performing to hit the field.

• guest123

Lefty, I will say this. It’s been awhile since Ford flashed his ballhawking skills on the field. Injuries derailed last season, but he’ll need to show some of those skills again if he wants more PT.

I am thinking Ford is a lot more than a speedster who can play football. He’s a football player who happens to be a speedster. I’m bullish on a Ford rebound year. jmo.

• TxRaider210

1638.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    But I won’t play favorites. I want guys performing to hit the field.

—————
    I feel the same way about the D as well. If one of those young guys(Burris) is a beast, give that man his reps and see what happens from there.

• jesusraiderjim

jesusraiderjim Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:17 pm
    —————-
    This may get me banned but KK can say sand nig and get away with it? Is KK Beck or Corks brother or something? WTF

• DMAC

TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

1638.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    But I won’t play favorites. I want guys performing to hit the field.

—————
    =======

I think that will be DA’s approach this season on out.

• raiderlization

DHB is a stud and will start and Moore on the other side! people forget how Ford was dinged up! Criner in the slot like they had Porter and Curry in the past. Moore is the smaller of the group. Raiders will trade or cut Murphy! Mark my word! He has more to prove than DHB!

• lefty12

DHB was a top 10 WR in the league last year.Not by total receptions but in categories like yards per catch,least drops per attempt,etc.

• DMAC

Time for Ford to rebuild that 460.

• TxRaider210

1642.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    TxRaider210 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

1638.DMAC Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    But I won’t play favorites. I want guys performing to hit the field.

—————
    =======

I think that will be DA’s approach this season on out.

——————–
    Sure hope so, this team is loaded with talent. Many teams have beasts in waiting, but leave the overpaid guys out there to earn their check. I say, if anyone isn’t giving their all, let them warm the bench.

• lefty12

Did GB have any smerfs playing WR?I believe they were all fairly big guys.Guys like Criner and Murphy.I don’t know if it will have any bearing on who we put out there,but it is something we should keep in mind.

• DMAC

lefty12 Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

========

I think playing time will be determined by performance and not size.

• TxRaider210

Anyone think DVD will be cut this season? Is his issue that he only weighs 180 lbs and isn’t physical enough?

• guest123

Secondary isn’t deep enough to cut DVD. If anything, the new reggime is going to give him every opportunity to solidify a spot as starting nickel corner.