Mini camp notes, quotes and observations

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 at 2:57 pm in Oakland Raiders.

First-year coach Dennis Allen and his staff got their first look at the entire roster Tuesday, with every player showing up for the start of the three-day, mandatory mini camp in Alameda.
Fullback Manase Tonga and safety Mike Mitchell weren’t on the field, but they were here rehabilitating knee injuries. Defensive lineman Dave Tollefson, center Stefen Wisniewski and defensive tackle Travis Ivey were the only players in uniform who weren’t able to participate in individual and team drills. They worked out on the side.
Allen had even more reason to feel good about the way things went after seeing defensive end Matt Shaughnessy practice for the first time since last September and linebacker Aaron Curry retun from a nagging injury he suffered earlier this offseason.
“It’s nice to have him out there,” Allen said. “Obviously, he’s rusty. It’s been a long time since he’s lined up and played defense. He is a little rusty, but it’s good that we get him out here and get a little work.”
Shaughnessy hurt his shoulder against the New York Jets on Sept. 23, underwent surgery and missed the final 13 games last season.
He spent the better part of this offseason rehabilitating the shoulder. On Tuesday, he turned it loose for the first time.
“I’m full-go now,” Shaughnessy said. “If there was a game on Sunday, I’d play.”
Shaughnessy said he is energized by the new defensive scheme.
“Once we learn this defense and start playing together, it’s going to be tough to stop because there’s so many different things we can do. And if we’re all on the same page, we’re just going to be working faster.”
Allen said he likes what he sees from his defensive linemen.
They can be “as good as they want to be,” Allen said. “It’s dependent on how much those guys are willing to put forth as far as the effort to continue to improve. If they’re willing to put forth effort to continue to improve, they can be as good as they want to be.”
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour called Shaughnessy a vital cog in the Raiders defense, someone the Raiders missed a great deal last season.
“Oh, man, tremendously,” Seymour said of missing Shaughnessy’s presence. “I tell him all the time, he’s the best run defensive end in the NFL, for sure, in terms of stopping the run. He’s the best in the NFL against the run. I can’t say that against the pass now for all the sacks a lot of the other defensive ends have. In terms of the run, I’ll put him out there with anyone. He’s definitely developed into a complete player. It was a big blow for us when he went down.”

Shane Lechler shanked his first punt Tuesday, with the ball kicked from his own end zone failing to sniff the 50-yard line. Call it his mulligan.
On his second punt, Lechler bombed the ball some 70 yards, causing more than a few bystanders to ooh and aah.
“That was my first ball since the Pro Bowl,” Lechler said. “I go back mentally to the basics. Drop it, watch the ball hit your foot. I got up through a few of them today and felt good about it. It’s one of those things where I was worried on how it was going to be. I haven’t touched a ball since the Pro Bowl. It came off well. Looks like I still got it.”
The question is, will the Raiders still have Lechler beyond this season? This is the final year of a contract that made Lechler the highest-paid punter in NFL history.
If he has his way, he will be re-signed by the Raiders and spend the remainder of his career in a silver-and-black uniform. He is entering his 13th NFL season.
“Yeah, why not?” Lechler said. “I’ve been here 13 years, what’s 13 more? I’d like to finish it up here if I could. I know Mark (Davis, owner) believes in me and the Davis family does. I want to be here when it turns back around. I was here when it was awesome, and it would be cool to see it come full circle.”
The Raiders qualified for the playoffs in each of Lechler’s first three NFL seasons, including a Super Bowl appearance in the 2002 season.
He has enjoyed sustained success throughout his NFL career. However, the Raiders are in the midst of a nine-year stretch in which they failed to win more than eight games in a season and make the playoffs.
Lechler said he feels a sense of urgency for the Raiders to get back to the playoffs so that he and older players such as Sebastian Janikowski and Cooper Carlisle can taste what that feels like at least one more time.
Lechler said his right (kicking) leg feels as strong now as it has at any point in his career. It’s not a stretch to envision Lechler kicking well into his 40s.
Time and again Tuesday, Lechler launched balls that forced the returner to retreat and field the ball 65 yards or more away from the line of scrimmage. Three straight times, returners muffed Lechler punts.

Rookie wide receiver Juron Criner has developed somewhat of a cult following based on his early showing in offseason practices.
With good reason, too. It seems as if he turns in a head-turning play every time you look. Tuesday was no different.
On one play, Criner ran upfield, made a sharp cut, turned around and was welcomed with the thud of the ball hitting him in the chest.
No problem. Criner processed the situation in a split second, clutched the ball to his chest and fell to the ground for yet another breathtaking reception.

Jacoby Ford, DeQuan Lewis, Bryan McCann and Chaz Powell split time on punt returns. No word on whether Moore would have been part of the rotation, though he handled that role quite a bit last season.
Ford was guilty of muffing one punt. He looked sure-handed on his other chances.

Mark Davis and general manager Reggie McKenize watched most of the practice from the sideline. Reggie’s twin brother Raleigh also was spotted on the field for the first time since he was hired earlier this offseason.

Seymour has spent most of the offseason working out on his own, away from the Raiders year-round facility in Alameda.
He said he trains four days a week and that his offseason regimen this year helped him shed 10 pounds from his well-built frame.
“I did a little boxing, a little bit of everything,” Seymour said. “I get more football specific as the season gets closer. I definitely train four days a week for sure. That’s always been my routine. That’s one thing that keeps you strong, especially in the interior of the line.”
Allen said he likes what he sees of Seymour so far and that he’s expecting big things from him this season.
“I wouldn’t say it would be any different than what it would be in the past,” Allen said of the perennial Pro Bowler. “I would expect good things out of him. He’s a Pro Bowl player and I would expect that to continue to be the case. I would expect him to make plays when we need him to make big plays.”
Seymour’s impression of Allen and his staff is a positive one, he said.
“They understand what they want and they do a good job of teaching how to get it done,” Seymour said. “That’s a quality that’s overlooked in the NFL because even though you may have talented athletes you still need to teach them what to do and how to do it.
They do a great job of getting that message across and making it become (reality). You can hear it like you heard it before but someone just makes it crystal clear like, ‘Oh, I get it now.’ That’s kind of what they do a really good job of doing. They’re really smart guys who understand the game. It still remains to be seen.”

• Raidernationdave

Mike you in the car biz?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

You gossipy little girls, don’t have anything to gossip about, but me? Really? Every damned day? Seriously. Wow, must have pretty boring lives.

The only way KK could be “cool” at this point is to be a combo between Steve-O from Jackass fame and Urkel.

Other than that and Kell is no where close to the “cool meter.”

***

@RND

if we’re thinking sitcoms, I’d have to say he’s probably somewhere between Reginald VelJohnson “Carl” on Family Matters & James Avery “Uncle Phil” on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

• R8ER MIKE

guest123 Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    @ MIKE,

Screw hybrids, I want to get me a Chevy Volt, and off the OPEC tit
    ************************
    still got to plug in the volt !!

• hwnrdr

700.R8ER MIKE Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:27 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    @Mike

I’ve heard you’re the Mechanic MacGyver

this true?

*****************
    dont know about that RRS,
    but i have been a partsman for 31 years !!

Speaking of mechanics Mcgyver…
    This used car salesman tried to sell me a car with a zip tie holding the starter in place…buwahahaha!

• Plunketthead

Easy rockstar, brother.
    Thats just the holy ghost talking.

• Just Fire Baby

or Cable’s famous “iron sharpens iron” or “over the hump”

**************************

How can you forget “let it rip”?????

That was the best!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dave,

I was asking about dealer incentives.

• Plunketthead

My favorite was “no more knuckleheads”

***

slow work day, Kell. finished with the [May] month end close

and I haven’t said anything NEGATIVE about you all day man!

Chillax…

• R8ER MIKE

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:28 am
    Mike you in the car biz?

*************************
    lol .. i guess you could say so !!

• hwnrdr

707.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:30 am
    or Cable’s famous “iron sharpens iron” or “over the hump”

**************************

How can you forget “let it rip”?????

That was the best!!!

Sorry, I thought it was Hip Hip Hooray!

i have been a partsman for 31 years !!

***

sweet, Mike!

check engine light has been on for 3 years, LOL

should I be concerned?

• The Big Banana

Speaking of mechanics Mcgyver…

———–

Hwn, don’t think that would qualify as a mechanic MacGyver, bro. Lol

• hwnrdr

714.The Big Banana Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:33 am
    Speaking of mechanics Mcgyver…

———–

Hwn, don’t think that would qualify as a mechanic MacGyver, bro. Lol

LOL, true!

How can you forget “let it rip”?????

My favorite was “no more knuckleheads”

***

good call fellas!

keep the Cable-isms coming :P

• Raidernationdave

What do you wanna know?

++++++++++++++++++++
    Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Dave,

I was asking about dealer incentives.

• Just Fire Baby

************************

Both of those characters, kept their marriage partner “in house” if you catch my drift, so they do not meet the standards.

He’s like the reverse of the neighbor from the Jeffersons.

• Raidernationdave

Hehehe!

++++++++++++++++++

R8ER MIKE Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:28 am
    Mike you in the car biz?

*************************
    lol .. i guess you could say so !!

Question:

if the Seahawks improve to 8-8 this season, do you think Cable will say “Congrats Coach Carroll. We’re not losers anymore!” ??

• Plunketthead

He is like Redd Foxx

• hwnrdr

721.Plunketthead Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:37 am
    He is like Redd Foxx

LOL< one of my all time faves…"You big dummy!"

He’s like the reverse of the neighbor from the Jeffersons.

***

LOL!!

• The Big Banana

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:37 am
    Question:

—————

Lol!!!

• Plunketthead

I grew up near Redd in Vegas. I would wait in front of his house for the short bus. Once in awhile he would pull up high as a big dog and start bullscatting.

He even put in a water faucet right there on the corner for the thirsty ho’s

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

POST-720,OR JUST A RIGHT HOOK TO THE JAW..

• hwnrdr

One of my all time faves from Redd Fox was in Harlem Nights when he was arguing with Della Reece!
    Reece: “Benny, I would tell you to kiss my a&& but you’re so blind you won’t see it”
    Fox: “F U you fat b!tch!”

• Plunketthead

My favorite Cable saying “let that be a lesson, Randy”

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    What do you wanna know?

++++++++++++++++++++
    Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Dave,

I was asking about dealer incentives.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wanted to know Dealer’s incentives on 2012 Camry Hybrid LE & XLE.

• Just Fire Baby

My favorite Cable saying was “Jamarcus, grab a clipboard”

• R8ER MIKE

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:33 am
    i have been a partsman for 31 years !!

***

sweet, Mike!

check engine light has been on for 3 years, LOL

should I be concerned?

***************************
    if your car runs fine then no worries.
    most of the time the light comes on for emission
    related stuff. or if you put gas in your car while its running or if you leave the gas cap off. it messes up
    the charcoal canister.
    if you have a AutoZone near you they will check it for free.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

I THINK “GOOD BY” WAS THE BEST THING WE HEARD FROM TOM..

• R8ER MIKE

O you might want to check out “certified pre-owned”
    the warranty on those are 100,000 miles.

if you have a AutoZone near you they will check it for free.

***

@Mike

went to my local Podunker store they hooked it up. Said it was an oxygen sensor, but that I should probably get it taken care of in case I experience a more severe problem down the road and the check engine light is already on – so I don’t get a warning. Just didn’t put forth the time or the $200 to get it replaced

• The Big Banana

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:48 am
    My favorite Cable saying was “Jamarcus, grab a clipboard”

————-

Haha! +1

• Plunketthead

Tom played a big part in getting the Raiders back on track. He broke that lousy losing streak. Finally beat the discharge and went unbeaten in the division. Helped get Gruden and scatrat fired.

I like Tom and I still have my Cable jersey

My favorite Cable saying was “Jamarcus, grab a clipboard”

I THINK “GOOD BY” WAS THE BEST THING WE HEARD FROM TOM..

***

yes & yes!

what about all the b.s lines about him being best buddies with Hue Jackson?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

I love used cars. That’s my specialty, but it’s for the wife, and she wants a new car. I was going to pay cash, unless they had a great offer like .9%-1.9%.

• R8ER MIKE

O gotta make the wife happy !!
    i myself have never had a brand new car !!
    the closest i ever came to a new car is my
    99 camry, it only had 1,900 miles on it when i got it
    back in 99.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Plunketthead Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:55 am

I like Tom and I still have my Cable jersey
    ==============================================

This is right. Tom Cable is a good solid football coach and helped this franchise out a lot more than he gets credit for. This team took a step back under Jackson.

• R8ER MIKE

no worries RRS. unless you have emmision tests in your state.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

I bought my mom a matrix that was a dlr demo. I stole that car. lol
    She is been talking about a new car for 2 years now. I just can’t get myself to spend around 30k on a car!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

My favorite Cable saying: “Al, John Marshall has been coaching defenses since the league discovered the forward pass…”

• Just Fire Baby

I like Tom and I still have my Cable jersey

*********************

Co-sign!!!

Got a bad rap because he was fat, ugly, fairly dense and pasty white in every sense of the word.

Everyone got fooled by the slick-talking, well manicured and groomed, soul dude.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

I still have my 94 Nissan Altime that I bought in 96.

• Just Fire Baby

I am on my second brand new Sonata.

Can’t beat the feeling of a new car, and the company pays depreciation so it is basically free.

Small consolation for making me drive 3,000 miles a month, lol.

• Raidernationdave

Can’t help ya O – I sell Kia’s

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:47 am

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    What do you wanna know?

++++++++++++++++++++
    Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Dave,

I was asking about dealer incentives.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wanted to know Dealer’s incentives on 2012 Camry Hybrid LE & XLE.

• Raidernationdave

Cable: “JaMarcus grab a clipboard!”

JaMarcus: “What’s a clipboard?”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

replaced
    The Big Banana Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:48 am
    My favorite Cable saying was “Jamarcus, grab a clipboard”

————-

Haha! +1

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Thx Dave.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m Not a fan of Korean cars.