Mini camp notes, quotes and observations

First-year coach Dennis Allen and his staff got their first look at the entire roster Tuesday, with every player showing up for the start of the three-day, mandatory mini camp in Alameda.
Fullback Manase Tonga and safety Mike Mitchell weren’t on the field, but they were here rehabilitating knee injuries. Defensive lineman Dave Tollefson, center Stefen Wisniewski and defensive tackle Travis Ivey were the only players in uniform who weren’t able to participate in individual and team drills. They worked out on the side.
Allen had even more reason to feel good about the way things went after seeing defensive end Matt Shaughnessy practice for the first time since last September and linebacker Aaron Curry retun from a nagging injury he suffered earlier this offseason.
“It’s nice to have him out there,” Allen said. “Obviously, he’s rusty. It’s been a long time since he’s lined up and played defense. He is a little rusty, but it’s good that we get him out here and get a little work.”
Shaughnessy hurt his shoulder against the New York Jets on Sept. 23, underwent surgery and missed the final 13 games last season.
He spent the better part of this offseason rehabilitating the shoulder. On Tuesday, he turned it loose for the first time.
“I’m full-go now,” Shaughnessy said. “If there was a game on Sunday, I’d play.”
Shaughnessy said he is energized by the new defensive scheme.
“Once we learn this defense and start playing together, it’s going to be tough to stop because there’s so many different things we can do. And if we’re all on the same page, we’re just going to be working faster.”
Allen said he likes what he sees from his defensive linemen.
They can be “as good as they want to be,” Allen said. “It’s dependent on how much those guys are willing to put forth as far as the effort to continue to improve. If they’re willing to put forth effort to continue to improve, they can be as good as they want to be.”
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour called Shaughnessy a vital cog in the Raiders defense, someone the Raiders missed a great deal last season.
“Oh, man, tremendously,” Seymour said of missing Shaughnessy’s presence. “I tell him all the time, he’s the best run defensive end in the NFL, for sure, in terms of stopping the run. He’s the best in the NFL against the run. I can’t say that against the pass now for all the sacks a lot of the other defensive ends have. In terms of the run, I’ll put him out there with anyone. He’s definitely developed into a complete player. It was a big blow for us when he went down.”

Shane Lechler shanked his first punt Tuesday, with the ball kicked from his own end zone failing to sniff the 50-yard line. Call it his mulligan.
On his second punt, Lechler bombed the ball some 70 yards, causing more than a few bystanders to ooh and aah.
“That was my first ball since the Pro Bowl,” Lechler said. “I go back mentally to the basics. Drop it, watch the ball hit your foot. I got up through a few of them today and felt good about it. It’s one of those things where I was worried on how it was going to be. I haven’t touched a ball since the Pro Bowl. It came off well. Looks like I still got it.”
The question is, will the Raiders still have Lechler beyond this season? This is the final year of a contract that made Lechler the highest-paid punter in NFL history.
If he has his way, he will be re-signed by the Raiders and spend the remainder of his career in a silver-and-black uniform. He is entering his 13th NFL season.
“Yeah, why not?” Lechler said. “I’ve been here 13 years, what’s 13 more? I’d like to finish it up here if I could. I know Mark (Davis, owner) believes in me and the Davis family does. I want to be here when it turns back around. I was here when it was awesome, and it would be cool to see it come full circle.”
The Raiders qualified for the playoffs in each of Lechler’s first three NFL seasons, including a Super Bowl appearance in the 2002 season.
He has enjoyed sustained success throughout his NFL career. However, the Raiders are in the midst of a nine-year stretch in which they failed to win more than eight games in a season and make the playoffs.
Lechler said he feels a sense of urgency for the Raiders to get back to the playoffs so that he and older players such as Sebastian Janikowski and Cooper Carlisle can taste what that feels like at least one more time.
Lechler said his right (kicking) leg feels as strong now as it has at any point in his career. It’s not a stretch to envision Lechler kicking well into his 40s.
Time and again Tuesday, Lechler launched balls that forced the returner to retreat and field the ball 65 yards or more away from the line of scrimmage. Three straight times, returners muffed Lechler punts.

Rookie wide receiver Juron Criner has developed somewhat of a cult following based on his early showing in offseason practices.
With good reason, too. It seems as if he turns in a head-turning play every time you look. Tuesday was no different.
On one play, Criner ran upfield, made a sharp cut, turned around and was welcomed with the thud of the ball hitting him in the chest.
No problem. Criner processed the situation in a split second, clutched the ball to his chest and fell to the ground for yet another breathtaking reception.

Jacoby Ford, DeQuan Lewis, Bryan McCann and Chaz Powell split time on punt returns. No word on whether Moore would have been part of the rotation, though he handled that role quite a bit last season.
Ford was guilty of muffing one punt. He looked sure-handed on his other chances.

Mark Davis and general manager Reggie McKenize watched most of the practice from the sideline. Reggie’s twin brother Raleigh also was spotted on the field for the first time since he was hired earlier this offseason.

Seymour has spent most of the offseason working out on his own, away from the Raiders year-round facility in Alameda.
He said he trains four days a week and that his offseason regimen this year helped him shed 10 pounds from his well-built frame.
“I did a little boxing, a little bit of everything,” Seymour said. “I get more football specific as the season gets closer. I definitely train four days a week for sure. That’s always been my routine. That’s one thing that keeps you strong, especially in the interior of the line.”
Allen said he likes what he sees of Seymour so far and that he’s expecting big things from him this season.
“I wouldn’t say it would be any different than what it would be in the past,” Allen said of the perennial Pro Bowler. “I would expect good things out of him. He’s a Pro Bowl player and I would expect that to continue to be the case. I would expect him to make plays when we need him to make big plays.”
Seymour’s impression of Allen and his staff is a positive one, he said.
“They understand what they want and they do a good job of teaching how to get it done,” Seymour said. “That’s a quality that’s overlooked in the NFL because even though you may have talented athletes you still need to teach them what to do and how to do it.
They do a great job of getting that message across and making it become (reality). You can hear it like you heard it before but someone just makes it crystal clear like, ‘Oh, I get it now.’ That’s kind of what they do a really good job of doing. They’re really smart guys who understand the game. It still remains to be seen.”

Steve Corkran

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Everyone got fooled by the slick-talking, well manicured and groomed, soul dude.
    =====================================

It still boggles my mind that fans here wanted Jackson to stay even after he lost the playoffs, lost the team and all but went winless the last quarter of the season. But wanted Cable gone.

• Just Fire Baby

You know, some people just really irk me.

I am making some phone calls to retired clients, and this broad just tried to big league me because she is running for mayor of Las Cruces.

Good for you beatch!!! Keep it up and I will ensure I give you intentional bad advice.

• Try Some Reality

Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    I’m Not a fan of Korean cars.

===============================================

Japanese and European. Keep the rest.

• Just Fire Baby

I just want a car that isn’t too grandpa-ish, gets good gas mileage and doesn’t catch on fire.

The Sonata fit the mold, and the parts and service dept has always been solid with me.

Salesmen are full of chutzpah but they are all right.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

After they lose AGAIN today, Holland is done.
    What was that LMN? They are ranked 2nd according to FIFA and their expert mathematicians?
    Interesting!
    LOL
    The O is always right.

• Try Some Reality

=======================================

Don’t want either but if I had to choose I’d err towards Pimp Hand over Pimp Mouth. He was a good leader, if nothing else….and I mean nothing else.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

According to USA Today’s Nate Davis, “it was clear” during Tuesday’s minicamp practice that Peyton Manning’s velocity on deep passes isn’t the same.
    Davis suggested Manning “may not have the liveliest arm on his team,” on a roster that also includes Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler, and Adam Weber
    ———————-
    always pleasent to hear

• Dakota

754.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Salesmen are full of chutzpah but they are all right.

++++++++++++++++++

I looked hard at the Sonata, but there was an alignment issue that they were having trouble with last Summer, so I went with the Camry instead…..you know, cuz I would rather risk an accelerator problem than constantly fight to keep my car going straight down the road!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

O Knows!

• DMAC

Nothing!

• DMAC

lol

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

went to my local Podunker store they hooked it up. Said it was an oxygen sensor, but that I should probably get it taken care of in case I experience a more severe problem down the road and the check engine light is already on – so I don’t get a warning. Just didn’t put forth the time or the $200 to get it replaced
    ———————-
    Just had mine replaced so I could pass inspection.
    oxygen sensor= total scam

I miss the days when cars were easy to work on and everything wasn’t controlled by a computer.

Inspection time for me usually=high blood pressure

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Mutiny!! We can do better Green Party! Impeach DMAC.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

JFB- recall saying last saturday that Ocho was done?

• Just Fire Baby

No alignment issues to speak of.

Believe me, I would know. From ABQ to Las Cruces is about 220 miles of a literally straight drive. You can fall asleep for 10 minutes and probably be all right, lol.

• Just Fire Baby

Ocho is done.

So he schlepps along for a last place team and sandbags 30 catches next year (maybe). So be it.

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Mutiny!! We can do better Green Party! Impeach DMAC.
    ======

How dare you speak in that tone to the Prez!

Off w/ his head!

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    Ocho is done.

———————
    I could see that as well, I was just saying that he would catch on with another team at some point. You made it sound as if no one would give him a sniff again. Really I was just wanted to hear you use the phrase “schlepps along” lol

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

*wanting

• Dakota

765.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:40 pm
    No alignment issues to speak of.

+++++++++++++++++

It was only in a certain percentage of the cars….but if you got one with the issue, they had no idea how to fix it and would just dik people around for months before finally saying it was not their issue according to a lot of consumer comments I read.

Made me shy away.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DMAC Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:43 pm
    Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Mutiny!! We can do better Green Party! Impeach DMAC.
    ======

How dare you speak in that tone to the Prez!

Off w/ his head!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Is that the Arab in you coming out?

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

DMAC Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:43 pm
    Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Mutiny!! We can do better Green Party! Impeach DMAC.
    ======

How dare you speak in that tone to the Prez!

Off w/ his head!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Is that the Arab in you coming out?
    =======

You know it.
    lol

• Raidernationdave

I’m not a fan of them either but hey, it’s a livin’. The MPG’s are up there so these sleds are fairly popular.

++++++++++++++++++

Raider O Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    I’m Not a fan of Korean cars.

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

OK, I whiffed on his sniffed.

I think it is all for the HBO camera’s. Aren’t the Dolphins owned by J-Lo, Gloria Estefan and the Miami sound machine?

• Raidernationdave

A bunch of “stars” (in their minds?) got a piece of that biatch!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

******************************

OK, I whiffed on his sniffed.

• Dakota

Jim Rome v. David Stern….that was quality stuff right there!

• Just Fire Baby

I almost bought a Kia Amanti (I went there first before Hyundai) but the salesman was full of bupkes, and wouldn’t throw in some window tinting and such.

His loss

• RAIDERNATIONSTATION http://www.raidernationstation.com/

NOW!~ 06-13-12: RAIDER MANDATORIES DAY 2
    Raiders dinged but looking good…

• Raidernationdave

I was gonna post a link to the Dolphins ownership but I saw this and thought this was more interesting:

Dolphins suck. Nudity rules!

• Raidernationdave

He most likely lost a “mini” off you anyway so he didn’t “lose” much.

The happiest customers always pay the most and it’s the “grinders” that are the worst!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

His loss

• Raidernationdave

Germany 2, Danes – 1 Big Stink Eye

• Just Fire Baby

I am in sales, so I actually truly enjoy a long sales process, lol.

I will happily show up at 8am on Saturday and make you work for it all day.

Even the last time, I was just buying a new ’10 Sonata from the same dealership that sold me the previous one.

Took all day.

• Raidernationdave

The longer it takes usually equates to how much one pays.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I am in sales, so I actually truly enjoy a long sales process, lol.

I will happily show up at 8am on Saturday and make you work for it all day.

Even the last time, I was just buying a new ‘10 Sonata from the same dealership that sold me the previous one.

Took all day.

• The Beeech Dawg

KICKING IT 4 REAL WITH SHAQUILLE ONEAL

Yo Brahs, huge news

Shaq has agreed to guest rap on my hot King’s Pump Up jam, WE GOT THE CUP!

It’s not exactly him, but a friend of his who swears they used to rap together in the shower at LSU

Whatevs, we’ll call him Shakeel OKneel, tell the gossip rags we lost his press photo and itll pump our sales up across the globe

Yo, this is going to put the Certified Platinum Posse and the Beeech Diggity’s solo rap career on the map, word. Now just gotta buy some ‘do rags on Amazon.com

WRECKS N EFFECT COMIN’ LIVE AT YOUR NADS

• Just Fire Baby

The longer it takes usually equates to how much one pays.

**********************

The price always goes down, and I know I am not getting screwed on the financing.

I just want upgraded features, tinting, and free oil changes and such, and these fools have the chutzpah to fight it for hours, when they end up giving it up anyways.

Their fault it takes so long, IMO.

• Silverandblack666

German cars are the only way to go and yes I do feel bad that I am not buying American but I go with what I know to be best for me.

Now lets get back to football people!

Will Curry be an every down LB and will he learn how to turn his hips and defend the pass better?

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

No and hell no

Curry in coverage is a recipe for disasterous results.

• TxRaider210

Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Now lets get back to football people!

———————————–

no worries RRS. unless you have emmision tests in your state

Just had mine replaced so I could pass inspection.
    oxygen sensor= total scam

Inspection time for me usually=high blood pressure

***

Thanks Mike!

@HB

Luckily we don’t have to worry about emissions in Podunk. Nobody cares about pollution or recycling here.

‘Go Green’ is for yuppies on the East & West coasts, me thinks

• Just Fire Baby

Curry is too much boom or bust as on OLB for every down.

He makes good plays in the backfield, and is a very solid tackler.

But when he screws up, he just runs right out of the play, doesn’t get blocked, and lets RB’s not even have to break stride off the edge.

His mistakes cost 25+ yards and they aren’t as infrequent as they need to be.

• Intrepid

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 10:13 am

I don’t care about stats for Carson over Rivers….just win opening night and end of season vs SD and I’m fine
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’d be happy with wins over stats too. But if I can choose 2 wins guaranteed, at the expense of other losses, I’ll glad pencil in wins against the Donkeys. No team I hate as passionately as them. This a hate that goes over a lifetime, nothing to do with PM.

***

@G123

I’m in Podunk, pencil me in for 2 wins versus KC!!///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////It’s settled then. Sweep the AFC West and everybody’s happy.

Sweep the AFC West and everybody’s happy.

***

speaking of Tom Cable, here he is … Intrepid !!

• Silverandblack666

“No and hell no

Curry in coverage is a recipe for disasterous results.”

“I don’t see Curry playing every down, unless they run lots of 3-4, we could keep him in the middle imo”

“Curry is too much boom or bust as on OLB for every down.

He makes good plays in the backfield, and is a very solid tackler.

His mistakes cost 25+ yards and they aren’t as infrequent as they need to be.”

All three of you said exactly what I believe to be true thank you for the validation!

• TxRaider210

666 I think we see Wheeler and Burris as our cover LB’s, they seem the most active. imo

• Breaking_Black

When does ESPN cover the Raiders? I always miss it.

• RAIDERNATIONSTATION http://www.raidernationstation.com/

794. Thats whos playing 1st team today with McClain who had a pick of Palmer.

Go Raiders!~

When does ESPN cover the Raiders?

***

@BB

when there is a scandal or one of our players is underperforming!

• Dakota

lakers want to sugn ray allen? why? fkin sucks these days.

• Just Fire Baby

Does Curry have any value as a pass rusher?

I know he has very few sacks for his career, but I didn’t really see much of him blitzing last year to gain an opinion on him one way or another.

Just don’t see him being a read and react guy in this new defense. Maybe DA can find a role for him being a thumper on the outside and leave the thinking to our football MENSA member, Rolando McClain.

• Dakota